Formal nights on Celebrity (Australia & NZ)

My husband and I are sailing B2B on Celebrity Solstice January 28 (leave from Auckland sail to Perth and then Perth to Sydney). I know there will be three possibly four formal evenings on the 15 and 17 day cruises. I am wondering how "formal" formal is. We, in Canada, hear Aussie and folks from NZ are not as formal as North American might be i.e. tuxedos and gowns and am also assuming there will be many Aussie and NZers on board. Just wondering. Would like to "dress down" and save on luggage!

My husband and I are sailing B2B on Celebrity Solstice January 28 (leave from Auckland sail to Perth and then Perth to Sydney). I know there will be three possibly four formal evenings on the 15 and 17 day cruises. I am wondering how "formal" formal is. We, in Canada, hear Aussie and folks from NZ are not as formal as North American might be i.e. tuxedos and gowns and am also assuming there will be many Aussie and NZers on board. Just wondering. Would like to "dress down" and save on luggage!

Hello

The dress code is not changed for formal nights foe the Aus/NZ season. However the formal dress tends to be at the "relaxed" end of the spectrum. Last year we sailed on the Century and I don't recall noticing any of the ladies wearing a gown. Most men wore a dark suit.

Hope that helps.

In fact I would go so far to say that tuxes are just not something you regularly see in Australia full stop at events (that's not to say they don't exist but we just don't seem to be so anal about it like some cultures).

Nor does it say Australians don't dress up - you just have to see our Spring Racing Carnival in Melbourne suchas the Melbourne Cup or Derby Day which is just ending to see all the guys in great suits and girls in lovely frocks, gloves and hats. It's just we realise both our culture, climate and attitudes means we can dress stylish without looking like something from a hoods convention or the ballroom on the Titanic.

A classic well fitting dark suit with a stylish shirt and tie is fine for him, nice frock with understated jewelry is okay for her and add a stylish friendly attitude and you will both light up the room!!

You say "anal" as if it is a bad thing! Thanks for your input. Bottom line dressier than most nights but not tux.

Way to go, my tux will not be coming on Celebrity Solstice for the little jaunt from Sydney to Auckland. Business suit or Blazer (Bermuda Jacket) and strides (pants/trousers) will do me. I had enough wearing of my tuxedo on Arcadia this year, too many formal nights on P&O UK.

Nor does it say Australians don't dress up - you just have to see our Spring Racing Carnival in Melbourne suchas the Melbourne Cup or Derby Day which is just ending to see all the guys in great suits and girls in lovely frocks, gloves and hats.

I agree...Its great to see the guys getting togged up....

1127670-3x2-940x627.jpg

sunflower_suits_189gojc-189gojo.jpg?x=400&q=80&n=1&sig=uXlLuoJXBxDr.NKV0eUIHg--

We will be on the second leg of that cruise (Perth - Sydney)

Only taking one coat...and that will be the formal penguin one. Matching plain black trousers I can wear at other occasions...same for white shirt. Assortment of bow ties takes up no room in bags.

I have stated my view on these board a couple of times before. Dressing up for a "formal" occasion is something the ladies like to do...almost without exception. It is the respectful role of the guys to wear something that compliments what the ladies are wearing. In my case I regard that as a formal tux and bow tie...but I respect that others may have a more relaxed view.

It is probably unfair to suggest that all Australians are uncouth uncaring yobbos...the Melbourne Cup example surely demonstrates that Aussies do like to dress up on the right occasion...and they do that even in Brisbane ! :p

cheers

In fact I would go so far to say that tuxes are just not something you regularly see in Australia full stop at events (that's not to say they don't exist but we just don't seem to be so anal about it like some cultures).

Nor does it say Australians don't dress up - you just have to see our Spring Racing Carnival in Melbourne suchas the Melbourne Cup or Derby Day which is just ending to see all the guys in great suits and girls in lovely frocks, gloves and hats. It's just we realise both our culture, climate and attitudes means we can dress stylish without looking like something from a hoods convention or the ballroom on the Titanic.

A classic well fitting dark suit with a stylish shirt and tie is fine for him, nice frock with understated jewelry is okay for her and add a stylish friendly attitude and you will both light up the room!!

I DARE you to go over to the Cunard sub-forum and say that!!! :eek::eek::D:D

Barry

Not all Australians resent dressing up. It is true that it is not the norm around this country but the majority of Australians that go on cruise ships do comply with the dress codes. If it is an upmarket line like Celebrity then the Australians on board will dress up.

My most cruise earlier this year on Arcadia was a little different. We had Australians join from Hong Kong to Sydney and there was a large number that got the cruise "cheap" and they did not have appropriate attire and were refused entry to the main restaurants and lounges of an evening. It was so bad that the cruise director had to make announcemnets telling people they were not welcome in certain areas around the ship unless they were dressed up.

The photo below is me and what I wear on formal nights on the cruise ships. I am 31 and 100% Australian since the First Fleet and I live in a city that has less foreign immigrants than large cities like Sydney and Melbourne and where I live Newcastle is still Australian without the foreign influence. I have no problem with formal nights.

314303_10151000773989037_49924900_n.jpg

Not all Australians resent dressing up. It is true that it is not the norm around this country but the majority of Australians that go on cruise ships do comply with the dress codes. If it is an upmarket line like Celebrity then the Australians on board will dress up.

My most cruise earlier this year on Arcadia was a little different. We had Australians join from Hong Kong to Sydney and there was a large number that got the cruise "cheap" and they did not have appropriate attire and were refused entry to the main restaurants and lounges of an evening. It was so bad that the cruise director had to make announcemnets telling people they were not welcome in certain areas around the ship unless they were dressed up.

The photo below is me and what I wear on formal nights on the cruise ships. I am 31 and 100% Australian since the First Fleet and I live in a city that has less foreign immigrants than large cities like Sydney and Melbourne and where I live Newcastle is still Australian without the foreign influence. I have no problem with formal nights.

314303_10151000773989037_49924900_n.jpg

Nice picture of a NICE couple in the Crows Nest on Arcadia, is the lady friend joining you on Celebrity Solstice Sutho?

I had to put the picture up again, lubberly jubberly.

Yes I heard from some of the British World Cruisers on Arcadia that some unruly, underdressed colonials got on board at Hong Kong. It was good that those of us that boarded in Sydney for the sectors to Southampton brought along the good clobber.

I do have a similar neck tie but it is blue in colour so I could use that. The white shirt and two neck ties I use now I bought in Vietnam on a trip from Halong Bay to Hanoi back in February this year on Arcadia. The shirts and ties are 100% silk. The suit is brand new as of this year. It is about $660 worth of some premium qualiy wool base.... Anyway I had to get a new suit as my excercise reigime caused me to lose too much size from my waistline and I have had to buy a whole new wardrobe of clothes. I dropped from 77kg to 72kg. I still have more shopping to do so I can always update. Though I do prefer to wear the clothes I bought on the holidays I have been on.

Unfortuantely she wont be joining me on Solstice next year. She is a nice girl, very charming, good values and good company on the cruise, however she does have a wild side and loves to party and it not good with money. She stayed in Europe longer than me visiting her family and when she got home in September she has still not settled in properly as of this week. When I last spoke to her she said she was keen to cruise again and would love to travel again but is flat broke and cant see herself travelling again for another two years. She is a model/actress and into fashion in a big way and was always picking me up on things but that suit she did not say anything about.

I DARE you to go over to the Cunard sub-forum and say that!!! :eek::eek::D:D

Barry

Cunard cruisers would have a pink fit :)

Dress code is one of the most favoured topics.

That said, people do look "spiffy" on Cunard

Perhaps the hot pink tank tops with "XXX's hens b...ch" that I saw on the Radiance two-nighter would be out of place (hopefully as I think there are very few places they would fit in).

You say "anal" as if it is a bad thing! Thanks for your input. Bottom line dressier than most nights but not tux.

Lol. Hope I didn't offend by using that word.

What I meant by that was in some threads if you suggested to some of the dear folk from certain other nations that you were not going to wear a tux it would be tantamount to Heresy.

I agree...Its great to see the guys getting togged up....

1127670-3x2-940x627.jpg

sunflower_suits_189gojc-189gojo.jpg?x=400&q=80&n=1&sig=uXlLuoJXBxDr.NKV0eUIHg--

Lol.

You know what.....I was at Emirates Stake Day and I didn't see one garish or outrageous outfit. No guys in suit tops but shorts, or people dressed as gorillas.

Mind you as I was in the corporate marque area so it prolly wouldn't have been allowed. But even walking back to the racetrack train station I saw nothing in the general admission area.

Btw everyone I don't think I said Australians 'don't' dress up......I think I said when they do tuxes are not usually the outfit of choice. Less rigid....

Lol.

You know what.....I was at Emirates Stake Day and I didn't see one garish or outrageous outfit. No guys in suit tops but shorts, or people dressed as gorillas.

Mind you as I was in the corporate marque area so it prolly wouldn't have been allowed. But even walking back to the racetrack train station I saw nothing in the general admission area.

I have spent quite a bit of time in the corporate area at Flemington in a past life and after a few drinks everyone looked gorgeous despite the fact that they may (or may not) be dressed as a gorilla suit or wearing a garish orange suit. ;)

While the focus is on what my girlfriend for the cruise was wearing I will attach other photos I have taken on formal nights. She is 26 and not Australian born but Ukrainian with New Zealand citizenship living here.

Fromal night in the Baltic Sea near Helsinki:

7961470252_0a5507723c_z.jpg

The Glala Night

7961476012_c20d76eb1a_z.jpg

The same formal night as 1st but minus the Jacket:

7961471434_ee794d4ee6_z.jpg

She is allot more wilder than me and is a bit of a big outgoing party girl but she knows how to dress up. None of the clothes she is wearing were bought exculsively for the cruise and is all part of her normal wardrobe that she owns and goes out wearing in Sydney.

All photos were taken by myself with my professional camera and equipment.

Hi Sutho,

Your suit seems ok but maybe your tie should be the same colour as your friends belt and shoes.

If your friend is Ukranian/New Zealand then I guess she doesn't live in Newcastle.

Oh, very sorry to read that you have been "dumped", I'm sure things will look up in the future.:D

Quite nice pics, maybe you should give up your truck driving job and go into photography.

Lovely pictures again. Sad she will not be joining Suth on Solstice, come 4 March. I would had loved to meet the lady, I will have to settle for just Sutho now. LOL.

Yes Sutho is some photographer all right, seen many of his photos.

And we care because..........................????????????????

The person who started the thread wanted to know what Australians wear on formal nights on a cruise ship and the photos were taken on a cruise ship. You are more than welcome to post photos of what you wear on a cruise ship if you wear any clothes.

Archived