Formal nights on Celebrity (Australia & NZ)

You are more than welcome to post photos of what you wear on a cruise ship if you wear any clothes.

LOL too funny but a wee bit offensive don't you think :confused: Lucky I have a sense of humour :D and could retort but :p..............

I wonder what your EX girlfriend would think of you posting her pictures all over cruising forums. But any publicity is good publicity.........right :p

I am 31 and 100% Australian since the First Fleet and I live in a city that has less foreign immigrants than large cities like Sydney and Melbourne and where I live Newcastle is still Australian without the foreign influence.

Oh and this is what I was referring to in the care factor...........what does that have to do with dressing up on formal night :rolleyes:

Oh and this is what I was referring to in the care factor...........what does that have to do with dressing up on formal night :rolleyes:

It addresses the stigma that Australians are viewed as people who do not dress up on cruise ships. The person started this threat concerned that the ship would be dressed down on formal nights to suit Australian standards. I simply pointed out that I am full Australian and have no problem with dressing up. It is true there is allot of foreign influence in Australia particularly in the large cities like Sydney and Melbourne where you see people dressed up and being influenced by foreign fashion trends.

Besides who said anything about this girl being my Ex???? There are already modeling/acting photos of her plastered all over the internet so she doesnt mind about these ones. In fact the ones I posted are her favourite that she likes to show off. It took allot of skill to take some of those photos. Are you able to take photos of a subject with the camera pointed into the setting sun and still have the subject turn out clear and bright?

It addresses the stigma that Australians are viewed as people who do not dress up on cruise ships. The person started this threat concerned that the ship would be dressed down on formal nights to suit Australian standards. I simply pointed out that I am full Australian and have no problem with dressing up. It is true there is allot of foreign influence in Australia particularly in the large cities like Sydney and Melbourne where you see people dressed up and being influenced by foreign fashion trends.

But your not your average Australian....you have said that on multiple occasions

Besides who said anything about this girl being my Ex????

You did :D

It took allot of skill to take some of those photos.

And this has something to do with formal night, how?

Are you able to take photos of a subject with the camera pointed into the setting sun and still have the subject turn out clear and bright?

Sure can :D

But your not your average Australian....you have said that on multiple occasions

And? It's a fair response to the question, and relevant to the topic. No need to give a hard time... It's not as though only 'the average Australian' is permitted to reply to this topic. Who's going to admit to being average anyway?! :D

And? It's a fair response to the question, and relevant to the topic. No need to give a hard time... It's not as though only 'the average Australian' is permitted to reply to this topic. Who's going to admit to being average anyway?! :D

These days, there is no such thing as "the average Australian" unfortunately..... it is slowly disappearing into the nevernever!

These days' date=' there is no such thing as "the average Australian" unfortunately..... it is slowly disappearing into the nevernever![/quote']

Hi Eileen, I agree, no average Australians, but I just hope the Bogans and the Drunken Idiots do not take over our ships! But alas it appears they are trying to. So now I will not travel on P&O Australia nor Royal Caribbean from Australia !

I am starting to think the Americans are just sending these ships over here to make a lot of money from booze.

Besides who said anything about this girl being my Ex???? There are already modeling/acting photos of her plastered all over the internet so she doesnt mind about these ones. In fact the ones I posted are her favourite that she likes to show off. It took allot of skill to take some of those photos. Are you able to take photos of a subject with the camera pointed into the setting sun and still have the subject turn out clear and bright?

Sutho

I would suggest that you never ever cruise with Cunard - if you think what you are wearing in your photos is "dressing up" :) A young man like you would look great in something like this

Tuxedo.jpg

Sutho

I would suggest that you never ever cruise with Cunard - if you think what you are wearing in your photos is "dressing up" :) A young man like you would look great in something like this

Tuxedo.jpg

Thats what i'll be wearing on VOS formal nights, maybe with a different coloured dickie bow. Also being about 30 years older, i'll be sucking in my belly. Lol

Dave

Ah yes - semi-formal=coat and tie. :D But for Formal -- definitely Black Tie :D

Barry

The thing is, when all the men are wearing that, it does look somewhat boring. Everyone looks the same!

I like ships where formal night means a range, you can dress up like that and stand out, or dress in a dinner suit and still look good.

The thing is, when all the men are wearing that, it does look somewhat boring. Everyone looks the same!

I like ships where formal night means a range, you can dress up like that and stand out, or dress in a dinner suit and still look good.

You are generalizing.... my hubby wears a tuxedo but wears a coloured formal shirt (he has an assortment including pink and burgundy) and matches them with coordinating bowties and vests. He gets many compliments and looks very spiffy! You don't have to stick to boring black and white just because you are wearing a formal tuxedo

!

Hi Eileen, I agree, no average Australians, but I just hope the Bogans and the Drunken Idiots do not take over our ships! But alas it appears they are trying to. So now I will not travel on P&O Australia nor Royal Caribbean from Australia !

I am starting to think the Americans are just sending these ships over here to make a lot of money from booze.

They are welcome to go on P&O ......l will stick with Princess :D

Ok wow! so how dressy is Cunard. Is the suit fine? I am assuming all I would have to do it get a dressier white shirt for under the jacket with a complete black tie?

To me what I am wearing is dressing up. I have always usually worn a black tie (my navy issued one for sentimental reasons) then when I bought the silk ties in Vietnam this year I started wearing them.

Like I said I fit the young average Aussie profile and that is what I would consider dressing up. I posted photos of what my friend wore even though she is technically not Australian she is young and up to date with fashion. The poor girl loved the travels so much she has trouble settling in when she gets home and does not usually go away so often. She said she would definitely cruise again with me but does not want to travel as often as me.

Actually this photo shows the suit clearer:

334209_10151000774394037_1689159149_o.jpg

It is supposed to be a designer fit jacket to fit my body type. For the price I considered it to be formal that I would get away with on lines like Cunard (not that I have any trips with them planned in the forseeable future). I am aware that my shirts are on the cheap side but I wear them for sentimental reasons as in I bought them on a cruise in a foreign port. I would assume to make it more formal I would have to get better white shirt and tie?

You are generalizing.... my hubby wears a tuxedo but wears a coloured formal shirt (he has an assortment including pink and burgundy) and matches them with coordinating bowties and vests. He gets many compliments and looks very spiffy! You don't have to stick to boring black and white just because you are wearing a formal tuxedo

!

How would that go down on Cunard? I know that combination, but the impression that's being given of Cunard is that it's uncompromising. And coloured formal shirt is not black tie either, in the same way I was suggesting dinner suits.

From what's been said, coloured formal shirts are as unacceptable as dinner suits on formal nights.

I would assume to make it more formal I would have to get better white shirt and tie?

The suit is the greater issue as it is the outer, more visible layer. Compare Barry's photo (or just search tuxedo images, as that one is a little small) and you'll see the cut, style and material appearance is different from your suit.

Black tie is also a bow tie, so the tie you have is not suitable.

It is really only P&O UK that specifies "Black Tie" for Formal nights - but then they also say that you can also wear a dark business suit like Sutho's :confused: Cunard only "suggests" Tux , and you would not necessarily be out of place in a dark suit. For me wearing a Tux is not unlike wearing Fancy Dress to a Fancy Dress party. Why do people dress up in chicken outfits, pirate costumes or Tuxes -- because the Party invitation gently requests that they do so. - and we do it because everybody else (hopefully ) will also be doing it and we will all have great fun. :) So, on Cunard almost everybody wears Black Tie ( the men) - and really, coloured ties and cummerbunds are really a NO-No, mostly worn here in Oz at weddings. Here is the Bible for Black Tie -- very informative http://www.blacktieguide.com/ ;)

NO! NO! Barry - WHAT were you thinking???

A0206Custom.jpg

Maybe a bit better - but a bit too flashy??

A0161Custom.jpg

This is what I will settle for -- but Sutho's photos are much better

3Queens1637Custom.jpg

Barry

My thinking is if it says 'Black Tie' then it is a Tux with a 'Black Tie' as in Bowtie.

If it is 'Formal' then it's a Tux with whatever colour bowtie you choose and a waistcoat also as you choose.

Jill:)

Yes -- good thinking!

Barry

I know tuxs are expensive. My suit was expensive enough. I dont wear it enough to justify buying a more formal one. What I have will have to do for Celebrity and Cunard if I ever travel with them. I had to buy it this year as my waistline had shrunk with all the running, swimming and bike riding I do. As I see it the suit will last me 5 years + and I will wear it on cruises. The cost was a good $660. The benefit for me is that I own it. It is there if I need it for weddings formal parties and cruises etc.

If what I have is "not formal enough" then it is probably true that some Australians do not like dressing up. For me that is what I am comfortable going to. I could probably invest in a decent shirt and bow tie but that is about it.

Archived