Independence Passengers sue after Noro outbreak

A luxury cruise operator is being sued for a total of £500,000 by 25 passengers who say they had their dream holidays ruined after contracting stomach bugs.

The passengers, who all sailed on the Independence of the Seas cruise liner at some stage between December 2010 and June 2011, claim they were laid low by gastroenteritis, due to alleged lapses of hygiene aboard ship.

They are now suing Royal Caribbean & Celebrity Cruises, of Weybridge, Surrey, with one couple alone claiming their bathroom cabinet was infested with sewer flies, and that they saw one waiter sneeze into a napkin before placing it on a table, and another wipe his nose on his sleeve.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2237636/Cruise-firm-sued-500-000-25-passengers-say-dream-holidays-ruined-stomach-bugs.html#ixzz2D8PR07jr

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I read this today in a National Newspaper, Im sorry but I find it very hard to believe. Who am I to say it didnt happen but weve been on Indy three times and have found the ship to be spotless and the staff to have the highest hygiene standards.

Didnt mean that there was not a Noro outbreaK just what was stated about the state of cabin and crew member .

Just back of Independence they had a recent noro episode, the ship is spotless if individuals are less hygenic that is their look out, hopefully the law suite will go nowhere.

Just keep in mind-even if you are hygenic yourself-you can still get it. I did and it is awful. Although it ran through me very quickly and only spent one entire day in bed, it still can infect those who try to do the best they can to avoid it.

Good luck to them.

My SIL came home from a trip to Spain with a nasty bug which they reckoned came from a poor hotel buffet given to them as a result of a plane delay.

she was so ill almost hospitalised on arrival home but had lots of treatment at doctors and recovered.

As a result of trying to claim from insurance she had to submit to lots of tests and even her home was examines by health authorities,incase she had done it to herself and she got nowhere and to this day still has problems associated with the bug she contacted.

On our Med cruise 6 years ago, there was an outbreak on the deck below us. We had no idea until we toured with a couple later in the cruise who had been stricken. And I got food provisioning so bad on my Carnival cruise that I wanted to die. Was hooked up to an IV in the infirmary and the dr was contemplating sending me to the hospital as soon as we docked. Was not charged because they knew it was their fault. Tainted latte! It is unfortunate but with Noro, it is more likely to spread in small environs.

Just keep in mind-even if you are hygenic yourself-you can still get it. I did and it is awful. Although it ran through me very quickly and only spent one entire day in bed, it still can infect those who try to do the best they can to avoid it.

TMI :eek: :D

Land or sea bad habits happen, we ate in a restaurant in New York owned by a famous chef and all through the meal the Maitre D picked his nose at the front desk. When asked how we had enjoyed it my husband said we were not thrilled by the nose picking. We pointed it out through the meal to the waiter also. The maiTre d was not pleased and asked us to point out who it was so he could deal with it - my husband said 'you'. He did it at least 5 times in the entree and didn't realise he was doing it. not even an apology. Shame as it was a reminiscence trip to where my husband proposed to me and we won't be going again.

If a ship that is about to sail had an outbreak, do they notify you upon check in? Only reason I ask is because when we left on the Explorer last week, there was a notice at check in saying it was brought to their attention that during the previous sailing a passenger had the chicken pox virus so they were letting everyone know in case one was pregnant, or had a poor immune system, etc. I wonder if there is a Norovirus handout also? Eek.

If a ship that is about to sail had an outbreak, do they notify you upon check in? Only reason I ask is because when we left on the Explorer last week, there was a notice at check in saying it was brought to their attention that during the previous sailing a passenger had the chicken pox virus so they were letting everyone know in case one was pregnant, or had a poor immune system, etc. I wonder if there is a Norovirus handout also? Eek.

If there was an actual outbreak not only do they notify you but should you manage to miss the notification you will notice a difference in the buffets and a much higher number of staff roaming the ship with hand sanitizers and bleach solutions to clean everything.

Noro is a nasty sickness that I would not wish on my worst enemy. I had it once and boy let me tell you it is not just a slightly worse version of the flu - it made me wish I was dead. Blech.

Archived