Restaurants in Hong Kong

HAPPY CRUISEGUY

Steve, while in Hong Kong on the Crystal Serenity earlier this year we had lunch at the Peking Garden. We thought the food was terrific.

It is located in the Star House (3rd floor), Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon; 852/2735 8211

It is about a five minutes walk from the Ocean Cruise Ship Terminal.

Keith

Seasons Greetings to All:

Following the upcoming Holiday cruise, my travelling companions and I are spending several days in Hong Kong. Could anyone recommend some Asian restaurants that we might want to try ?

Thanks as always for your assistance!

Steve

For us, bar none, Inakaya on the 101st floor of the Ritz hotel is the most wonderful dining experience--great asian food, gorgeous decor and plating, and breathtaking views of HK Harbor. Go at 7:30 and enjoy the symphony of lights show in the Harbor from your perch close to heaven there. Enjoy!

Rocky and Dave

I haven't eaten there but some folks I highly respect had dinner at the restaurant located at the top of the Peninsula Hotel while we were in Hong Kong earlier this year and said it was fabulous. Maybe someone will know its name. I wrote it down and haven't been able to put my hands on it yet.

Keith

We stayed at the Peninsula right after our cruise with you Keith and ate there one night while we stayed in HKG. I also cannot remember the name of it but it was wonderful. The steamed dumplings were so creative as well as the fish that we had.

In Singapore the Four Seasons had an incredible high tea served Asian style.

I spent 8 years in/out of HK on business. It is a city where "food rules", and where there are literally thousands of excellent restaurants.

If you want an elegant dining experience, Peking Garden is an excellent choice.

However, if you want to "get down in it", Spring Deer at 42 Mody Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong, China (Kowloon side) would be a good choice. Although "discovered" by many of the tour books, it is one of the place that locals go for Peking Duck. I can attest that Peking Duck in Hong Kong is better then Peking Duck in Peking.

During the winter, locals also go there for "Da Pin Loo", which is a hot pot containing soup into which you put meat and vegetables (yourself) to cook (at the end you drink the soup). The soup is in a brazier with charcoal, and when the place is filled it can be a bit smokey.

It is definitely not fancy, and curiously located on the second floor above a luggage repair shop. It is large, and reservations are recommended.

You will have a bit of a problem if only two of you go. The Peking Duck order is the whole duck ... crispy skin and meat served in buns, later followed by the rest of the duck. Similar for the hot pot ... all or nothing.

Have fun ... and good dining!

I haven't eaten there but some folks I highly respect had dinner at the restaurant located at the top of the Peninsula Hotel while we were in Hong Kong earlier this year and said it was fabulous. Maybe someone will know its name.
We stayed at the Peninsula right after our cruise with you Keith and ate there one night while we stayed in HKG. I also cannot remember the name of it but it was wonderful. The steamed dumplings were so creative as well as the fish that we had.
The restaurant at the top of the tower of the Peninsula is Felix.

The Peninsula's Chinese restaurant is called Spring Moon.

There's also a great restaurant on Wellington St. called Yee Chan (I think) where the roast goose is superb.
Are you thinking of Tsui Wah?

At any rate, that place is a bit of an institution, even if it was about 2.30 am the last time I fetched up in there.

But if you want roast goose and you're up for an adventure into the New Territories, this place is the place to go: Yue Kee in Sham Tseng. A pilgrimage there is a required ritual every time I'm in Hong Kong.

Thanks for all the recommendations and alternate search engines!

Does anyone have any suggestions for dim sum specific venues?

Steve

Tim Ho Wan is not your standard restaurant - Michellin-starred, no bookings taken, long queues most of the time, but apparently their dim-sums are well worth the wait!!!

http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Restaurant_Review-g294217-d1745792-Reviews-Tim_Ho_Wan-Hong_Kong.html

I'm a big fan of Mak's Noodles on Wellington St. It's definitely nothing unknown (the place even has its own Wikipedia page), but I go there every time I am in HKG for a solid noodle dish at good prices. Great for lunch.

There are other noodle places that are a bit cheaper, but I still end up at Mak's for whatever reason (but I love noodles so I do go to random little hole-in-the-wall noodle places too, but I never remember the locations nor names)

Archived