Ships Trips - small print!

retiredbrit

Whenever I have booked a ships excursion I always felt I had that extra protection compared to picking up something at the dock gate or other private trips.

Just booking some for our Panama Canal Christmas Cruise on Century when for the first time ever I read the excursion booking conditions. Now I’m not so sure!

Have you read them?

Celebrity Conditions dated November 2012

7. THE SHORE EXCURSIONS, TRANSFERS AND SHORE TOUR PACKAGES ARE OPERATED BY INDEPENDENT CONTRACTORS AND CELEBRITY CRUISES INC. SHALL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE IN ANY WAY FOR ANY DAMAGE, LOSS, INJURY OR DEATH ARISING OUT OF ANY SERVICES PROVIDED BY SUCH INDEPENDENT CONTRACTORS. CELEBRITY CRUISES INC. RESPONSIBILITY DOES NOT EXTEND BEYOND THE VESSEL AND ALL ARRANGEMENTS MADE FOR OR BY

THE PASSENGER FOR SHORE SIDE EXCURSIONS, TRANSPORTATION OR ACTIVITIES ARE AT THE PASSENGERS RISK.

Carrier (Celebrity Cruises Inc.) shall in no event be liable to the passenger in respect of occurrences prior to embarkation and after disembarkation from the vessel. In selling tickets, coupons or vouchers or making arrangements for shore excursions, the Carrier acts only as agent for others who operate such services and all persons accepting or using tickets or authorizations in any form for such services shall thereby be deemed to agree and consent that the Carrier shall not be or become liable for any act or omission pertaining to such services or for any loss, injury or damage to any person or property arising there from or in connection therewith.

Alan

yes, celebrity is very careful to distance themselves from the shore excursions. If you have a problem, they may help, but they are under no obligation.....and if you are injured in some way, it's you vs the local excursion company with celebrity claiming no responsibility.

I applaud you for reading the "fine print".....so few do.

All the cruise lines do the same thing, in reality you will find they give a lot more protection if the excursion is late or something happens. I have never heard of a ships excursion being late and the ship not waiting for them. Someday watch when you leave port as people are running to catch the ship before it leaves. Actually, that's almost like a shore excursion in itself but thats another story.

Also, go and read the fine print on hotels that Celebrity puts you up in and the air packages they will get for you. All pretty much have the same wording that they are doing it as a courtesy. That is why one of the big myths of cruising is if you have the cruiseline book your flights, they will guarantee you will get to the ship. Not true, they will do whatever they can but there is not guarantee.

The final point to make is you have better protections in the UK for packages or portions of your cruise. The downside is you generally pay more for those protections.

Even being aware of the fine print, we still favor going with the cruise line---unless its a port we know well. They usually go with the best compnaies...

They will not leave port without you if you have a cruise line excursion. We had a very tight return going to Butchart Gardens in Victoria Canada & also oneport in Hawaii...but no worries the ship would leave us behind...

One time when our bus broke down in Costa Rica... in the middle of who knows where, & a replacment was dispatched for us almost immediately...

In Europe they have sent along a Celeb employee on the tour bus who knew the local languages...felt good having them along with us!

I have been on cruises where the ship left with passengers from ship sponsored tours still on their tour. This doesn't happen frequently, but it does happen. If a ship has to leave a port for a particular reason, such as tides, or another ship needing the dock, ships have no choice but to leave.

As for the OP's comments, every cruise line absolves themselves from liability when it comes to shore excursions. It's standard operating procedure, from a legal standpoint.

Shore excursion sales do a nice job contributing to the bottom line since they are overpriced to generate profit for both the online contractors and the cruise line. But as is typical of all cruise lines, the company loves to take credit when things go well and they distance themselves from anything that goes wrong. If you want to book those overpriced excursions you have no alternative butto accept the contractual language.

Hank

Not sure if there is something specific you are referring to (this is long), but this contract is just like the primary cruise contract. I am no a lawyer, but I can translate it pretty accurate.

You, the passenger have agreed to pay us an agreed upond sum of money. We will pick you up in port "A" and in a few days deposit you back at port "B". In the meantime, we can do anything we want and most probably will charge you for it. But, we do love you.

Not sure if there is something specific you are referring to (this is long), but this contract is just like the primary cruise contract. I am no a lawyer, but I can translate it pretty accurate.

You, the passenger have agreed to pay us an agreed upond sum of money. We will pick you up in port "A" and in a few days deposit you back at port "B". In the meantime, we can do anything we want and most probably will charge you for it. But, we do love you.

I can tell you're not a lawyer, I can understand what you mean!

I would question as to whether within law that condition would stand up.

If the cruise line are taking a cut of the tour then they have acknowledged responsibility for the tour (or part responsibility for it). They market it, they take the money and get a charge back. The fact that they disallow any other operator to come to the immediate wharf area indicates they there involvement is more than just 'passing'.

I got my UK TA (CruiseKings) to query this directly with Celebrity, this is their reply

"Good morning Alan,

I have spoken to Celebrity and they have advised that they only act as agents for tour companies in line with all cruise operators, hence the booking conditions and indemnity conditions.

They do of course research the companies that they use and they must comply with the health and safety regulations in place for the appropriate country.

Kindest regards, Trish"

I am sure this is correct:rolleyes: I quite clearly remember seeing various Cruise Directors checking the brakes and steering and kicking the tyres on the buses used on ships tours. Or was I dreaming!!

Regards Alan

Retiredbrit,

We are doing a ship tour in Costa Rica and Guatemala.

Maybe we will see you on the bus.

If not , looking forward to meeting you and your wife at the meet and greet.

counting the days to sailway.:)

Safe trip to the US.

Patti

Archived