Caribbean Plaza deck: Noise to wake the dead

Mississippian

Sounds like stabilizers, as far as temp in the cabin imo there is no excuse for not having this work correctly. You know that this is probably an issued for every passenger /every cruise in that cabin. :(

We also have had issues with temps in cabins. It happens. The problem I have is sometimes it takes so long for them to come out and correct it. The same day fine but when it goes to 2 or 3 days not so fine. Nothing worse then sticking to your sheets or coming down with a cold because it's so cold.

We also have had issues with temps in cabins. It happens. The problem I have is sometimes it takes so long for them to come out and correct it. The same day fine but when it goes to 2 or 3 days not so fine. Nothing worse then sticking to your sheets or coming down with a cold because it's so cold.

Wow....I have been looking at these very cabins thinking it would be so convenient to all that is going on. I spent a bit of time walking down these halls on my last cruise ... just to see if I noticed any noise. My DH said he wanted to be up higher but was still considering changing the cabin to the Plaza deck vs the Caribe deck. Definitely going to stick with the Caribe deck now! thanks all!

We just did the Star Princess Hawaii cruise, which was wonderful.

It was very rocky once we left San Francisco for the first 4 days and then again when we left Hawaii on our return trip. I could hear noises as described and also thought it was the stabilizers. We were aft on Aloha 746. I didn't get much sleep during the sea days.

It was eventually explained to me that it was cavitation, not the stabilizers.

The props were coming out of the water, hence the noise. Now, as a plebe when it comes to the inner/outer workings of a ship, I have no clue if this could be the same problem with forward cabins.;)

Edited by Northender

Sounds like stabilizers, as far as temp in the cabin imo there is no excuse for not having this work correctly. You know that this is probably an issued for every passenger /every cruise in that cabin. :(

Stabilizers just didn't make sense, like the original poster stated it would only happen in the early morning hours 2, 3 ,4 am? We were on a TA and the stabilizers were out a vast amount of the time. The "noise" never happened during the daytime.

As far as the air cond. I had them out to my cabin constantly, by the 2nd night I was at the purser at 3:00am threatening to go sleep on the couch outside the Princess Theater for some coolness. What made it worse for me was, I have M.S. (heat is really bad for M.S.), by the third day I had to go to ships Doctor to get a wheelchair. Then they finally "magically" fixed my air conditioning AND they did not charge me for the Doctor visit or wheelchair.

Like I said, I'm a cruiser AND a Princess FAN, I still made lemonade out of lemons, just saying this ship and specifically this area has a problem.

Tammy

I recently returned from a Caribbean Princess cruise. I was kind of excited to have inside cabins on the Plaza deck. My son and I were in P331 and my wife and daughter were two cabins away in P319. These cabins are right next to the art gallery and really in the thick of things. We loved the location.

There was NO noise problem from the art gallery or anything, but on several nights at around 3 a.m. or so there was really loud clanging sounds underneath our cabins. It sounded like someone was opening and shutting an iron door repeatedly for an hour or more. Sleep was out of the question. I think this may have been the ship stabilizers, based on something I think I read on another post. It was really loud.

My wife said she would never stay on the Plaza deck again. I don't know if the problem would have been as bad if we had been a bit forward.

We stayed on the Lido deck once years ago and loved it. We also concluded after this trip that the Riviera deck near the Terrace pool would be an awfully good place to have a stateroom.

I'm just passing this information on for those of you who might find it useful.

It may not be the same cause, but years ago on a HAL ship, I literally jumped up from a deep sleep. This happened several times. Finally found out the cause. There were huge steel doors which opened up when loading supplies in port, but also smashed open when a pilot was entering and exiting. I was going to fly home halfway into the cruise when we docked in Rotterdam, but was told that a balcony cabin would open up at that time and until then I could sleep in an inside cabin. It really was a terrifying way to wake up; I don't expect things to be perfect-or even close-but this was awful.

We just got off the Caribbean Princess and were lucky enough to have a window suite. We loved the space but not the early morning joggers at 5:30am ! Their plodding vibrated through the room and even the glasses rattled! No long lie ins for us on our vacation.

We are going back to a stateroom sandwiched between cabin decks at the back lifts for peace and quiet!

We just got off the Caribbean Princess and were lucky enough to have a window suite. We loved the space but not the early morning joggers at 5:30am ! Their plodding vibrated through the room and even the glasses rattled! No long lie ins for us on our vacation.

We are going back to a stateroom sandwiched between cabin decks at the back lifts for peace and quiet!

That's not good. :(

We were on the CB last year in P201 very first cabin next to the crew door. This ended up being our assigned cabin by Princess from booking a guarantee. Noisiest room ever on any of our cruises. Hallway noise, theatre noise, clanging noise and the worst was the last night. I'm guessing it was the luggage being handled below us. We're not light sleepers but we just didn't find that cabin relaxing. We're back to choosing our own cabins and being on the higher decks. It was really handy though for most of the nightly activities and dinner.

Well, if there's a next time, just talk to the Passenger Services Desk and they'll post signs asking folks to not jog so early in the morning...

We were on the CB last year in P201 very first cabin next to the crew door. This ended up being our assigned cabin by Princess from booking a guarantee. Noisiest room ever on any of our cruises. Hallway noise, theatre noise, clanging noise and the worst was the last night. I'm guessing it was the luggage being handled below us. We're not light sleepers but we just didn't find that cabin relaxing. We're back to choosing our own cabins and being on the higher decks.

P201 is in the lowest category of unobstructed oceanview cabins.

To avoid this problem in the future, do not book a GTY in that or any lower category.

Well, if there's a next time, just talk to the Passenger Services Desk and they'll post signs asking folks to not jog so early in the morning...

Hi there RickEk

We did speak to Passenger Services on the first morning, they kept telling us they would do something but nothing happened, even rang them one morning while the thumping was going on. Nothing.

I was then told they could not put up signs but would post secuirty there. Did not happen. Staff were just not interested at all. Kept telling us how sorry they were but did not rectify it. Even spoke with officer on duty.

Not our greatest cruise with Princess I have to say, and quess what we have NOT received the post cruise Questionnaire - Hubby thinks they know we wont be giving them full marks on all areas so just haven't sent it to us!

Well, as luck would have it, we are booked in P325 for a 15 day cruise next fall. I have no intention of paying a lot of money to be kept awake all night.

I will contact Princess, and if they won't book us in another room, I'll just cancel our cruise.

We just got off the Crown for 24 days and had P323. Same metallic clang early in the morning on most days. Teeth jarring and it came right into the room, but thankfully did not go on for an hour. It sounded to me like someone with a 20 lb. monkey wrench whacking on a big metal pipe.

Disembarkation night was very noisy, sounded like gorillas throwing the Samsonites around in the cages (for those of you who remember that old commercial). It went on for hours, lots of electric motors (whirr, clunk, ahrreee, clunk, brzbrzbrbz, clunk) and clanging metal cages. Occasional voices and then we had the dance party bass thump nightly from 9:45-12:00. Love the ease of location, but not going to stay on that deck again, EVER.

I did not let it ruin the vacation, we took naps to catch up on sleep if needed (room was always quiet in the daytime!), but if you want a quiet room, don't go on Plaza deck anywhere in the 300's.

We were on the Crown last October/November for the 28 day Hawaii-Tahiti cruise and we were in P332. We were kept awake most nights with the sound of a hydro electric motor whirring all night long in addition to the groaning and clunking of the stabilizers. Our neighbors on both sides were bothered by it too. The chief engineer "couldn't imagine what was causing it" but I'm sure he was aware of the problem and was used to hearing the complaints. As the ship was full the only thing they could offer us was an inside room or ear plugs.

• 3 months later...
I think I can tell you what you were hearing-or at least I heard the same noises once on a HAL ship. I was directly above the cargo loading doors AND the same area doors were used to take on and off-load the pilots. They were large, solid metal doors which, when opened or shut, caused a huge metallic noise, which, literally, caused me to jump up from a deep sleep. At first I was told they had no idea what was causing the problem, so once I got up, went on deck, and asked a worker what was below us at that spot. And it was the loading doors. Another day-in that same area-workers were stripping the concrete floors at that area. Imagine pounding and scraping concrete with giant machines. They were able to find me a different cabin for the return from AMS and at least for the new days before that point we were at sea for three days. Other wise, I really would have had to fly home.

Ginny

We too concluded the early morning and sail away disturbances had something to do with the arrival or departure of the pilots. Since we arrived early in many ports the racket certainly woke us up. We spoke with a couple of neighbours in both inside and window cabins and they too were disturbed.

We were in P321 on the Caribbean and chose it carefully -- though obviously not carefully enough. We managed fine with a few afternoon naps -- time wasted on a cruise.

Ruth

Edited by Been There, Planning That

Yup, lets keep this thread alive so that others know to avoid the Plaza Deck if you want a quiet cabin. I recently returned from the Star Princess and stayed in P323. From the loud entertainment in the Piazza to the banging from below once you managed to fall asleep - it was awful :mad:

From the Princess site:

Star Princess®

Star Princess is aglow with Princess’ signature features, including the Piazza, with an ever-changing array of street performers!

Wish I had seen that before I picked this cabin - in what I thought was a prime area near my morning cup of coffee.....

I slept through the Northridge earthquake, so people in California can understand that. (My house did not collapse.) I will have a Plaza deck room next year on an Alaskan cruise. I'm looking forward to it so I can get to the IC faster. I guess light sleepers have problems with ship noises.

Grrrr, we are in P306 on the Grand next month. There is no changing cabins at this point. I am sincerely hoping we are far enough forward not to have the noise from below. The saving grace may be that we only have 5 ports in 15 days. I will also be up and out to watch our arrival into those ports. I will return and report on our experience.

Cheers, Denise

Our Caribbean Plaza deck was noisy but a similar cabin on the Grand was one of the quietest but smallest cabins we've ever had at sea.

The only problem is that it's difficult to choose within a modest budget and specific cabin listings,

Ruth

I agree, I have always loved this section on the Grand, what I experienced on the Caribbean Princess in May was out of this world (or like this thread describes, noise to wake the dead). There is something wrong on this particular ship, period. Like I said on the previous page I thought of this thread many times, while I was crossing the Atlantic filming in my cabin at 3:00 am just to prove to my family how insane the "noise" was, all the while wishing I had listened to the OP.

Tammy

Not on the Plaza deck but on our very first cruise we were on the Riveria deck right under the pool. Someone said you can hear them putting the pool chairs out very early in the morning and putting them away at night. I asked our travel agent an she said there would be no problem. Well I can tell you there was. I am a light sleeper but I am sure most could hear it. I would never book a room under the pool again.

Thank you all for calling attention to noise issues on the Plaza deck. I am a light sleeper and was considering saving money on our next cruise by booking OV's on the Plaza deck. Now I will rebudget and book balcony cabins - and not below the pool (thank you recent poster to this thread for the reminder on that).