Thoughts on table for two?

bshow

On my recent cruise, we had a table for four (late fixed seating) and enjoyed meeting another couple and had wonderful conversation each night. We were often among the last to leave the dining room.

Around us were several tables for two, and I couldn't help but notice that every night it seemed these couples hardly spoke or even looked at one another.

How many of you prefer a table for two vs. a larger table? Do you enjoy the company at dinner, or do you feel more comfortable with just your companion?

On my recent cruise, we had a table for four (late fixed seating) and enjoyed meeting another couple and had wonderful conversation each night. We were often among the last to leave the dining room.

Around us were several tables for two, and I couldn't help but notice that every night it seemed these couples hardly spoke or even looked at one another.

How many of you prefer a table for two vs. a larger table? Do you enjoy the company at dinner, or do you feel more comfortable with just your companion?

We like to be seated at a large table. We have shared a table for four, during open seating, which worked out fine. DH and I sit across the table from each other EVERY day. We enjoy sharing a meal with and meeting others while on vacation. It will be the 2 of us if we eat in an alternate venue, which will be more than enough!! We enjoy each others company, but vacations are for meeting new people, IMHO.

We enjoy each others company, but vacations are for meeting new people, IMHO.

I can find no fault with your reasoning..vacations mean different things to different people..in our case ...our vacations are chance to reconnect from a busy day to day normal life.. to enjoy a good meal.. be waited on.. and to stoke the coals of romance..;)

Joseph

My SO and I both lead very busy professional lives and both travel extensively on our jobs. Therefore, the time we are together is somewhat limited. Its rare, but sometimes we only see each other on the weekends. So, when we go on vacation we want that time to be all about the two of us being together. We don't sit and look at eachother and not talk. We cherish the time together and make the most of it. I would not want the distraction of other people during dinner, so I want a table for 2 all the time.

A table for two is a must have! On our first two cruises my wife and I had the unfortunate experince to have either bores or obnoxious types for tablemates. Twice bitten, forever shy--so since we started crusing on HAL it's been tables by ourselves.

I'm a pretty severe introvert and prefer a table with MORE people. In fact, when we show up at the MDR, we always tell them "anywhere and with anyone". Once on our August Noordam cruise we did end up with a table for two.

Here's why I prefer a larger table. Our two cruises have been port intensive. I've been with my wife all day. Literally, ALL DAY. So what else do we have to discuss at day's end? With other people present, we hear different stories, hear about different lives, different ways of doing things, etc. On the very first night of our very first cruise, we were with several Dutch couples. One of the gentlemen had the same birthday as me...THAT DAY (i.e., it was both of our birthdays). So we had a lot of fun with that, totally coincidental. We've had fun dining with people from Australia, New Zealand, Great Britain and even with others from the U.S. and Canada. We've run into very few "duds".

Yes, I'm an introvert. The good news is that my wife is an extrovert. She maintains conversations, I sit back and take it all in. I'll add something if I feel something needs adding, but otherwise I prefer to be thought a fool than to open my mouth and remove all doubt.

Our cruise on the Eurodam last October (New England/Canada) was super spectacular because of the incredible friends we made at our table for 8. While I was hoping for beautiful foliage, interesting ports, and delicious food, I never anticipated how much fun my husband and I would have because of these table mates. We ended up as fast friends, touring together by day, and enjoying Trivia and the entertainment by night. We realize how fortunate we were that the "powers that be" (HAL staff) matched us up!

We love a table for 2, and yes, we do talk during dinner. :D

Service is faster, we're able to get to the show in time, and we always know we'll be in good company.

At breakfast and lunch in the Lido we have lots of chances to talk to tablemates, but at dinner I just like to relax at the end of the day and have a romantic table for 2. :)

For me, I started cruising 30 years ago by sitting at a table for 8, and with only a single exception, have pretty much stuck to that trend, with tables of 6 or 8 or larger on every cruise. I like having more people at the table to meet, befriend, and enjoy, and have been pretty lucky to rarely get 'stuck' with someone I didn't like. At worst, the tablemates usually end up being friendly & civil and do no harm to the meal, and at best, they can end up lifelong friends. I've ended up with two situations I can recall in those 30 years where the table was not perfectly matched - one cruise where an older, quieter couple that clearly would have preferred a table for 2 were stuck with our table for 8, of which each other twosome were social, younger, friendlier types who all liked the large-table vibe....and another cruise where a young gentleman traveling alone was unfortunately not English-speaking while all the others at our table for 10 were. The first couple ended up moving tables by the 2nd night, and the rest of us got along famously, and stayed in touch for years after. The young Italian gentleman was perfectly friendly and we all made every attempt to talk in whatever vestiges of eachothers' languages we possessed and lots of hand and arm motions, and still had a fine time despite the barrier.

I did get assigned to a table for 2 once, despite our request otherwise...and we did fine by it, but it definitely wasn't as fun for us overall as when we have a full table to meet...as it was, we ended up befriending the table for 2 across the aisle from us, and the table for 4 that was a half-step above us on the other side - so we sort of created our own table for 8, after all!

I'll also point out that my preference for larger tables is predicated on having a traditional-seating table, where you have the same tablemates throughout the cruise. Traditional fixed seating and time is my strong preference, again probably harking back to the familiar and the fond memories. When it comes to any unscheduled and non-fixed dining, I would actually prefer a table for 2...sitting with different people every night for me doesn't really give the time to get to know people, and the change each evening would increase the chances of being paired with less compatible types. But I avoid any of the free-dining options like the plague, so unless I ever end up accidentally and irrecoverably given free seating dining, I'll stick with the larger tables.

Those are all just my personal preferences, and reasonings, and not a judgment on the choices or preferences of others!

Our last cruise (Zaandam) we requested an 8 top (just DH & I). The first night we were late getting on the ship, and missed our dining seating. So the second night, when we got to the MDR, we found we were at a 4 top with another couple. But they weren't there. Turns out they also hadn't been there the first night. The head server said he would find out about whether they would be joining us for dinner. So, the third night, when we got to our table, they weren't there again. The head server came over and asked if we wanted to be seated with others. We said yes. So we were moved to a table that hadn't had anyone at it on previous evenings. It was an 8 top. They also seated a couple from the late seating who wanted early, and another couple who had been seated alone and asked to be seated with others.

We had a great time with our new friends.

Yes, DH & I do talk to each other when it's just us, but we like meeting others from different places on our cruises. That's part of how I envision cruising, being seated with others.

:)

When we first started to cruise we requested tables of 4 or 6. And we enjoyed them.

Then a combination of things happened. We both started to work longer hours and didn't see much of each other -- not even on the weekends. And at the same time when we could cruise, we were getting not so great table mates. Some wanted to sit for hours and repeat every thing at least twice each night. We were missing shows that we wanted to see.

So we started requesting tables for 2 and we really love them. We always find lots of things to talk about.

My wife and I have been together for more than 30 years, but we have spent the last five or so years with jobs in cities 2 hours apart. We are together probably an average of about 4 days per week, and we take vacations and a cruises as a way to spend more quality time with each other.

We love the relatively available tables for two and HAL's excellent room service, which are two of the main reasons we choose this line. (Along with quieter ships).

As those who read some of my posts might also suspect, I'd wager that I am far more adorable to my wife if she sees me a little less often. :)

My husband and I look forward to our cruises as a time just to be able to enjoy each other and not to have to pretend to be interested in our table mates endeavors to come up with " interesting converations" about their lives........We arent antisocial, but our livelihood involves pleasing and serving others so we just enjoy vacationing and spending time with each other, without being concerned about others, to that extent.... :-) We love our tables for two....

We much prefer a table for two. We had a very bad experience when seated with two completely socially obnoxious individuals on a cruise a few years ago and decided that we much prefer our own company. Good table mates can make a cruise pleasurable, but horrible table mates can ruin all of your dinners.

The best solution is to get family and friends come along and enjoy a larger but private family table. Even if it just two others. We have done this on our last two cruises.

igraf

.....How many of you prefer a table for two vs. a larger table? Do you enjoy the company at dinner, or do you feel more comfortable with just your companion?

We always request free-style/anytime/my time dining and usually request a 2-top. Yes, we may occasionally have very quiet meals, without a lot of chatter, but that doesn't mean we're not enjoying each others company. Sometimes we have a lot to talk about, sometimes we've said all that needs saying and just enjoy sharing the meal. (like several other posters, we are separated by work a large part of the time)

Personally, while I can ultimately enjoy a larger table with strangers, the anticipation of it stresses me out. (a wee touch of social anxiety). Even social gatherings where I know I'll know most people put me in a state of discomfort prior to the event. I'm fine once I'm there, usually, and therefore can force myself to go knowing that.

On a cruise, I don't MIND meeting and talking to new people, in a natural way, on an excursion, at lunch or even breakfast, but I don't see the need to put myself in a "state" prior to dinner, so we avoid it, for the most part.

The last time we "got stuck" with 6 table mates, my MD ex-wife learned more about the whole gamut of all geriatric diseases and various other maladies than she ever learned in medical school. After the third dinner, we could not take in anymore and ate in the Pinnacle Grill the rest of the cruise. The average age of the table was probably mid 70s and that was only because we, being in our mid 40s, brought the average down a bit.

One can only listen for so long and you just break. :rolleyes:

We've had tables for two, four and six. Four and six when we're joined by friends. However, on the Maasdam last year, the service was very slow on our table for four and we were always the last to leave the dining room. DH gets antsy and doesn't like spending two-plus hours over dinner each evening...and having to rush to get to the show and not get seats toward the front (he's hearing impaired).

So this January we're back to a table for 2...and hopefully will join our friends several times in Pinnacle and maybe Canaletto

...Here's why I prefer a larger table. Our two cruises have been port intensive. I've been with my wife all day. Literally, ALL DAY. So what else do we have to discuss at day's end? With other people present, we hear different stories, hear about different lives, different ways of doing things, etc. On the very first night of our very first cruise, we were with several Dutch couples. One of the gentlemen had the same birthday as me...THAT DAY (i.e., it was both of our birthdays). So we had a lot of fun with that, totally coincidental. We've had fun dining with people from Australia, New Zealand, Great Britain and even with others from the U.S. and Canada. We've run into very few "duds".

Yes, I'm an introvert. The good news is that my wife is an extrovert. She maintains conversations, I sit back and take it all in. I'll add something if I feel something needs adding, but otherwise I prefer to be thought a fool than to open my mouth and remove all doubt.

... We were often among the last to leave the dining room....

These two posts pretty much sum up our feelings as well.

We eat breakfast and lunch together just the two of us, so at dinner we want to dine with 6, 8 or more, and share the days activities.

Usually we do have such a good time, that we don't care if we've missed the shows, or other post-dinner activities.

Afterwards, we'll go for our romantic stroll, or nightcap at a lounge, just the two of us before retiring.

Archived