Amsterdam Manor on Eagle Beach

travelnut4

We will be spending the day in Aruba on our cruise in February, and am interested in spending the day lounging on the beach at Eagle Beach. Is the best way to do this take a taxi/bus to Amsterdam Manor? Is this a public beach area that will allow us to rent chairs and have a drink or two from a beach bar? I see the bus is fairly easy and inexpensive, but how much would a taxi cost to this area from the port?

Just read Arubalisa saying that Amsterdam Manor is no longer renting to cruise passengers...oh dear! Should we look into Palm Beach, and what are some suggestions for there that would make for a relaxing and enjoyable beach day? How to get there, where to ask to be let out, chair rentals, beach bars???

Eagle Beach is gorgeous! Was just there a few weeks ago. I would still recommend you try and get there. :)

Were you there on a cruise or staying on Aruba? Did you take the bus or taxi, and where did you have them drop you off? Where were the chair rentals? So glad to hear from someone who has been recently! Sorry to bombard you with questions!!

Chairs are available on the beach in front of La Cabana from Julio Water Sports hut. I think they are around $5.00 each. There is also a beach bar I can't remember how much the cab is I would guess 10-20 dollars.

Were you there on a cruise or staying on Aruba? Did you take the bus or taxi, and where did you have them drop you off?

It was part of an excursion; we certainly would have loved to stay there longer. I can't see saying anything other than "Eagle Beach" to either the cab driver or the bus driver would land you anywhere but Eagle Beach... you'll be all right. :)

Just read Arubalisa saying that Amsterdam Manor is no longer renting to cruise passengers...oh dear! Should we look into Palm Beach, and what are some suggestions for there that would make for a relaxing and enjoyable beach day? How to get there, where to ask to be let out, chair rentals, beach bars???

You are correct that Amsterdam Manor is no longer renting to cruisers. They are now renting at their other resort MVC, which is just a few doors up. You can get there by bus or taxi. Just tell them to drop you off at the beach at MVC. They have a restaurant across the street called Tulip. I have heard that they plan to add a bar on the beach but I don't know if that has happened yet. The beach in that area is wide and gorgeous.

Edited by Hatteras51

You are correct that Amsterdam Manor is no longer renting to cruisers. They are now renting at their other resort MVC, which is just a few doors up. You can get there by bus or taxi. Just tell them to drop you off at the beach at MVC. They have a restaurant across the street called Tulip. I have heard that they plan to add a bar on the beach but I don't know if that has happened yet. The beach in that area is wide and gorgeous.

Thank you! I will plan to do just that! How do I figure out what bus to take? Is it clear once you go to the bus terminal? I am assuming they speak English? (sorry if that is a dumb question!)

Thank you! I will plan to do just that! How do I figure out what bus to take? Is it clear once you go to the bus terminal? I am assuming they speak English? (sorry if that is a dumb question!)

When you get to the bus terminal, the bus to the beaches will be on the far left. The bus route number used to be 10, and I assume it still is. It will probably say "hotels" or "Marriott" on the sign on the front of the bus. Tell the bus driver you want to get off at MVC or Tulip Restaurant. If you pass it, no worries, just get off at the next stop and walk back. Everyone from Aruba speaks fluent English, along with Papiamento (native language), Dutch, and Spanish. They also take US currency. I've heard that the bus fare just increased to $2.30 each way. They prefer small bills or exact change.

Edited by Hatteras51

MVC where Tulip is a great spot on Eagle Beach - it is 10.00 to rent a chaise per person and use the bathrooms and outdoor showers there. Sorry I can't help you with what bus to take but it is a beautiful quiet beach so I would go there vs. Palm Beach. You can also just bring a couple of towels etc since all beaches in Aruba are open to the public. You don't have to pay unless you want a chaise.

MVC where Tulip is a great spot on Eagle Beach - it is 10.00 to rent a chaise per person and use the bathrooms and outdoor showers there. Sorry I can't help you with what bus to take but it is a beautiful quiet beach so I would go there vs. Palm Beach. You can also just bring a couple of towels etc since all beaches in Aruba are open to the public. You don't have to pay unless you want a chaise.

Is it possible to purchase beer and drinks from Tulip to enjoy on the beach?

Eagle Beach in Aruba is beautiful, but the sun can be deadly at times for Irishmen with fair skin. Can you also rent an umbrella at MVC or are there sufficient palaps available?

There are palapas for rent, but they have a limited number. I'm not sure how many, and they will go quickly. There are divi trees all along the beach and many people sit under them for shade. If you want to rent an umbrella, there are a lot more chances of getting one in Palm Beach.

There are plenty available for your use -and they are free on Eagle Beach. I am also very fair skinned and spend the day moving my chair around in the shade. That is why I love Aruba and Eagle Beach. I do suggest you get to the beach as early as you can. The nice man at the Tulip ( name of restaurant by the hotel you will see this sign from the road) will bring your chairs to where you are sitting. Just look for him by the stacked chaises. If he is not there he is usually by his car in the parking lot. Re: the drinks you can certainly bring your own drinks and food to the beach. I have not seen any servers from Tulip on the beach but they have a nice bar and outdoor tables. Palm Beach is very crowded and noisy with the umbrellas and people right next to each other - everyone is different so I don't know what you are looking for. We like peace and quiet so we prefer Eagle Beach.

Edited by tupper10

There are plenty available for your use -and they are free on Eagle Beach.
The shade palapas in front of the resorts such as the Amsterdam Manor and La Cabana are not for use by the general public and are reserved for the resort's guests.

I am in Aruba right now and going to Eagle Beach every day. We do not go by the large hotels or condos and there is plenty of beach and shade that is free. All beaches are public beaches in Aruba even in front of the largest hotels. If you see the umbrellas very close together those are the hotel ones if you go to the beach across from the restaurant they are free and as I said you can rent a chaise.

• 4 weeks later...

Two questions:

Did anyone else see this cruise review by max'smom they went to it looks like they went to Amsterdam Manor and responded to someone else's question saying it was no problem to rent from there. Any thoughts?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=36565135&postcount=54

We are plannign on Eagle Beach, if I understand correctly MVC is just another place on the beach we can rent from and then Tulips is the place across the street to get drinks?

Edited by mtu_huskies

Two questions:

Did anyone else see this cruise review by max'smom they went to it looks like they went to Amsterdam Manor and responded to someone else's question saying it was no problem to rent from there. Any thoughts?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=36565135&postcount=54

We are plannign on Eagle Beach, if I understand correctly MVC is just another place on the beach we can rent from and then Tulips is the place across the street to get drinks?

Amsterdam Manor does not rent chairs or palapas anymore; they are for guest use only. I don't blame them; when I go to Aruba and stay on Eagle Beach, I am not happy when people not staying at a resort come over and take the chairs.

You can rent from MVC and all beaches in Aruba are public, so you are free to use any of them. You just can't use the chairs, lounges, palapas, umbrellas, etc. which are for the hotel guests only. I don't see where this reviewer says anything about renting, even when she answers the other poster's question. It really appears as if this poster simply showed up at the beach and engaged in some chair/palapa posting.

I have posted to that thread asking for clarification. Perhaps they will answer.

Edited by 6rugrats

We were at Amsterdam Manor on the Xmas sailing on AOS- same as max's mom - they have reserved a number of chairs & palapas for AM guests, however the rest is available to anyone. We arrived, paid the attendant $15 per chair, he tagged the chairs to show they were paid for, and we enjoyed the day.

Not sure why you are assuming they were "poached" from AM guests?

Edited by melbur

Hey 6rugrats, I saw her response. $15per chair t Amsterdam Manor.

Is there drink and food at MVC? If so, I'll probably just go there instead maybe/maybe not getting a chair at Amsterdam Manor.

we arrived around 9 or so, there were stacks and stacks of loungers available to rent.

• 2 weeks later...