warning:Nassau is bumping cruise ships

cruzemaven

Just off the Reflection's Inaugural cruise and want to warn those of you who are looking forward to going to Nassau on any cruise line...we were bumped from the port. Our captain announced as we were leaving the port of Miami that we would not be docking at Nassau in the morning because all the docks were taken. All excursions were cancelled and refunded. I also found out that The Independence of the Seas wasn't able to get into Nassau the following day. Apparently, they are turning ships away...just want to let you know so you are not disappointed if this happens to you. This was not a weather related issue.

This is indeed true. Just got back from the 12/05 sailing on Independence of the Seas where we were suppose to go to Nassau and were told we could not go because they did not have a space for us at the port. Not weather related at all. We went to Freeport which was nothing. Don't even get off the ship if you go there. Very, very disappointed! RCI acted like it was nothing.

E-Beth

This is indeed true. Just got back from the 12/05 sailing on Independence of the Seas where we were suppose to go to Nassau and were told we could not go because they did not have a space for us at the port. Not weather related at all. We went to Freeport which was nothing. Don't even get off the ship if you go there. Very, very disappointed! RCI acted like it was nothing.

E-Beth

Celebrity opened their bars for 90 minutes taking the disappointment from some.:D We had a bride on board who was suppose to get married on Nassau - besides marrying her onboard, I would imagine they compensated her with a tad more than a 90 minute bar bill waiver.

Wonder if the "lost" revenue is made up by the biggest bidder, and they want cruise companies to pay more--and compete with one another.

Who knows.

Find somewhere else where people can have fun.

Safe travels.

Sue and crew

Wonder if the "lost" revenue is made up by the biggest bidder, and they want cruise companies to pay more--and compete with one another.

Who knows.

Find somewhere else where people can have fun.

Safe travels.

Sue and crew

I wonder if getting told your spot was given to someone else feels similar to those affected by the Enchantment cabin renumbering.

RCI had the same pier number. It was just in a slightly different location.

So.... if RCL were not to go there anymore, would anyone really care? Seems like these ports get panned about as much as Jamaica. :rolleyes:

Was really not impressed with Nassau, wont ever get off the ship again there. If its about fees, then Nassau is shooting itself in the foot since the ships will just go elsewhere, or do Cococay for two days.

Wont miss Nassau at all.

When we left Miami Wednesday, they made the annoucement only about an hour out that there was a snafu and we couldn't dock until 6pm-midnight. Then when we did get there, they said we couldn't dock at all. A bunch of us had wished they would have just gone to Key West instead. I'm not sure if Key west can only handle certain size ships and nothing big such as the Reflection. Even if we had docked at 6 pm, who really would have gone to the beach at that time it was pitch black by then. Stores closed, etc. We really should have just continued on and got to some other port in daylight.

Compared to Freeport, Nassau is 1000% better. I actually like to go to Nassau and look forward to it on the short cruise schedule.

Independence did not get 90 minutes of free drinks, we didn't even get an apology for missing the port.

Don't get me wrong - I had a wonderful cruise and will cruise with RCI again but I was disappointed. I had plans in Nassau that could not be duplicated in Freeport.

E-Beth

Compared to Freeport, Nassau is 1000% better. I actually like to go to Nassau and look forward to it on the short cruise schedule.

Independence did not get 90 minutes of free drinks, we didn't even get an apology for missing the port.

Don't get me wrong - I had a wonderful cruise and will cruise with RCI again but I was disappointed. I had plans in Nassau that could not be duplicated in Freeport.

E-Beth

While we didn't get free drinks we certainly did get an apology. Once when it was announced on the p/a system, and again in the letter sent to each cabin.

hmm. this concerns me as we are due to dock on 25 December in Nassau. (EN)

luckily we have booked our excursion through the ship so we won't have to contend with trying to get a refund if we do miss it.

is is the port authorities deciding all this, or is somebody else overbooking?!

This does seem like an occurance that shouldn't be happening, it reminds me of the seinfeld episode, the point of reserving a car is so that the car is there when you go. Im sure RCI makes reservations for the dock space… why isnt the port honoring their reservation.. very odd, hopefully this will not happen to us as we are leaving in a week. and some of our party has never been to nassau before so it would still be a good experience.

I wouldnt be too happy about that at all, I can understand if it was bad weather but if we did this to me I would want to have some sort of a credit on my account.. Just makes me wonder if they wil try that move on me, but i cant picture them doing that too often if they did nobody would travel on rci anymore

Have there been any other bumps besides these two? What other ships were in port when they were supposed to be?

On the day of the Reflection, five other ships were scheduled. All five other ships are ships that call on Nassau on a weekly or seasonal basis. Reflection being a one time call drew the short straw.

On the day that the Indy was to call, four ships other ships were scheduled including three that needed the longer docks. Norwegian Epic, Carnival Breeze and Disney Dream. No room for Indy.

I think the issue was both ships needed the longer piers and they were not available due to ships being scheduled that are there on a regular basis. This is the fault of the port.

Celebrity opened their bars for 90 minutes taking the disappointment from some.:D We had a bride on board who was suppose to get married on Nassau - besides marrying her onboard, I would imagine they compensated her with a tad more than a 90 minute bar bill waiver.

Rumor around the ship is that the CEO gave them a 2 week European cruise.

I wouldn't be disappointed to miss Nassau either - last time I was there it was a long port day... these new 4-6hr stops is :confused:

Sounds like there is someone new booking the ships and they need a lesson in Big Ships vs Small Ships and how many can fit in the parking spots they have ;)

Smart Car = Majesty/Monarch

Chevy Suburban = Oasis/Allure/Reflection/Dream/Indy/Epic

Just off the Reflection's Inaugural cruise and want to warn those of you who are looking forward to going to Nassau on any cruise line...we were bumped from the port. Our captain announced as we were leaving the port of Miami that we would not be docking at Nassau in the morning because all the docks were taken. All excursions were cancelled and refunded. I also found out that The Independence of the Seas wasn't able to get into Nassau the following day. Apparently, they are turning ships away...just want to let you know so you are not disappointed if this happens to you. This was not a weather related issue.

The problem is that the cruise lines have too many ships in the Caribbean at the same time sailing to the same ports. They leave in the Spring for other parts of the world and send too many back at one time. They might consider longer cruises (10 days) and ports that they don't usually go to.

Archived