warning:Nassau is bumping cruise ships

cruzemaven

I agree...but the point is why did the Nassau Port Authority overbook their dockage and how do cruiselines not know this when it is scheduled for all to see over a year in advance. Cruisett.com shows an extensive world wide docking schedule.

Do you honestly think that the cruise lines stop and look at EVERY port of call scheduled to see how many ships are in port? LOL.... They deal with the ports directly. It is up to the port to insure that there is space available.

Do you honestly think that the cruise lines stop and look at EVERY port of call scheduled to see how many ships are in port? LOL.... They deal with the ports directly. It is up to the port to insure that there is space available.[/

But the port obviously renegged...the cruiselines should monitor the situation...Cruisett.com is easy to access. And by the way, nobody on board the Reflection was LOL when the captain announced we were bumped.

Waste of a stop anyways. At least with Allure and Oasis. Early afternoon departure, why bother stopping at all?

It is a waste of a stop...but some passengers were looking forward to it...especially the bride and groom who had planned on getting married there.

I've been very disappointed in recent years that the lines (mostly referring to RCI and Carnival since those are the lines I sail most frequently) have been emphasizing Nassau on Eastern itineraries at the expense of San Juan. Obviously, a Nassau stop makes sense if the ship is doing an itinerary that doesn't go as deep down into the Caribbean... and Oasis/Allure can only be accommodated at so many ports these days... but it seems now that virtually every cruise I've taken recently, including standard Eastern itineraries, stops at Nassau. Call it Nassau fatigue, perhaps, but I'm sick of Nassau!

I'll be back there in 3 weeks on the Carnival Breeze... will stay on the ship. Amazingly, all of the RCI cruises I've taken I still haven't been to Coco Cay. I'll have to see what I can do about that.

Nassau is awesome when compared to Freeport. I actually look forward to stopping at Nassau. And if the ships stayed longer there would be more options for things to do way from the port.

the last time I was in Nassau there were many ships in. It was totally packed. Getting through the terminal building was unpleasant, but somehow I hoped it would get better. Sadly it did not get much better. In town near the dock was packed too. it was challenge to navigate down the sidewalk, nonetheless actually in a store to shop. so we returned to the terminal to stand in a long, slow, winding line for an ID check to return to the ship.

I do not need to that again. If I am in Nassau with many other ships, I will stay aboard. If by chance mine is among the only ships there, I may go ashore. So, personally, I'd take an uncrowded day in Freeport over a super crowded one in Nassau.

We've been to Nassau several times and I finally got off the ship this time (Thanksgiving cruise) to go to Blue Lagoon (which we LOVED). Getting back on the ship again is a NIGHTMARE in Nassau. We had 4 ships in port (including of course, Oasis, w/MANY passengers) and you are FORCED to funnel through a market area (with NO signage by the way, they want you to get lost and ask directions) and then through a tiny area w/2-3 security people checking IDs.

Nothing like being forced to walk through a market area at a stop/go/single step pace for 20 minutes before being "released" to the ship. Never again will I exit the ship if we're docked there

It is a waste of a stop...but some passengers were looking forward to it...especially the bride and groom who had planned on getting married there.

making huge plans, like a wedding, during a port stop is a risky, maybe even foolhardy, thing to do. Of course first time cruisers may not realize it, but cruiseship schedules are not set in stone. the cruise contract makes it clear that the itinerary is up to the cruiseline. They try to stick to it, but if they can't, they can't. Days change, times change, ports are substituted or missed. we missed sport on my first cruise. the ports were rearranged on my last cruise, Oasis cruise last month, as one port was hit by a storm and was not ready for us due to mudslides. I have missed or had rescheduled many port in between. one must be willing to roll with such changes on cruises.

If the bride or groom had come to cruise critic in advance, posters would have discouraged the "get married on a port stop in Nassau" plan as risky. It must have been painful for them to hear the port was canceled and my heart goes out to them even though they made an ill-informed choice. if they involved a TA, shame on the agent if he did not tell them it was risky.

hmm. this concerns me as we are due to dock on 25 December in Nassau. (EN)

luckily we have booked our excursion through the ship so we won't have to contend with trying to get a refund if we do miss it.

is is the port authorities deciding all this, or is somebody else overbooking?!

I guess you have a right to be concerned, but I am sure curious why this happened. The same ships have been going to the same ports, or at least the same cruise lines have been going to those ports and know the scheduling procedures. All the merits of this port aside, I wonder what even triggered this to happening?

Freedom of the seas had to go there for a medical emergency. I was on the ship, and we missed Coco cay to hit Nassau. The lines do what they can but stuff happens.

Clay

This is all very strange. The docking arrangements are made at least months and sometimes years in advance. There is something missing here.

According to poolboyclay, one event may be explained by a ship diverting for a medical emergency. Unless I missed it, the other has not been explained as yet.

I suppose there could have been an issue with pier (unscheduled maintenance, adverse change in sea bed or such). Could have been another medical emergency, disabled ship occupying berth, weather conditions preventing one dock space for being used. Or the Nassau authorities may have messed up.

Nassau - Funky Nassau! So much history and culture and great food. Historic sites, beaches, an entire island to explore by car or scooter... If anyone sees only the couple blocks downtown, think about if someone saw only a couple blocks of your hometown's downtown area. There is so much more to Nassau.

BUT - any Bahamian port of call is what you make of it. I'd rather go to any Bahamian island than go to work! : ) Meet some locals, try the food, listen to some real Bahamian music. Walk around and look at the plants and trees and historic buildings. Visit the local markets and museums.

Cruise ships are given permission to dock at a given time of day.

If they do not arrive on time, they can miss the opportunity to dock.

Wonder if this was the case.

There is more to docking a ship than parking a car - port staff have to be available too.

Cruise ships are given permission to dock at a given time of day.

If they do not arrive on time, they can miss the opportunity to dock.

Wonder if this was the case.

There is more to docking a ship than parking a car - port staff have to be available too.

True. One time on Voyager we got to St. Thomas late, and had to wait extra time before disembarking because the CBP officers were on coffee break.

According to www.cruisett.com, Reflection was to be 1 of 6 ships in Nassau that day. Only 5 can dock. Guess we now know who drew the short straw

We've been there when there were six ships docked. I guess it all depends on the sixe of the ships. In this picture 5 ships are visible, and there was a NCL ship docked behind the Celebrity ship out of camera view.

DSCF1309.jpg.4888842c14dd0900f9cfc0bdcc5ffa76.jpg

the last time I was in Nassau there were many ships in. It was totally packed. Getting through the terminal building was unpleasant, but somehow I hoped it would get better. Sadly it did not get much better. In town near the dock was packed too. it was challenge to navigate down the sidewalk, nonetheless actually in a store to shop. so we returned to the terminal to stand in a long, slow, winding line for an ID check to return to the ship.

I do not need to that again. If I am in Nassau with many other ships, I will stay aboard. If by chance mine is among the only ships there, I may go ashore. So, personally, I'd take an uncrowded day in Freeport over a super crowded one in Nassau.

Obviously you have the option to stay on the ship at any port of call that you wish. I try to take advantage of my time, and tend to be able to find something of interest to do, whenever I'm fortunate enough to be on any of the islands.

According to poolboyclay, one event may be explained by a ship diverting for a medical emergency. Unless I missed it, the other has not been explained as yet.

I suppose there could have been an issue with pier (unscheduled maintenance, adverse change in sea bed or such). Could have been another medical emergency, disabled ship occupying berth, weather conditions preventing one dock space for being used. Or the Nassau authorities may have messed up.

The other was an inaugural sailing so maybe since it was the first time the ship was scheduled to be there something went astray? Yes, they should know who is scheduled when, but it wasn't just a routine sailing that has been there every week.

Maybe I'm wrong, but don't we pay port charges in our cruise fare? If so, if they can't dock at one port and don't add a replacement, shouldn't there be some compensation? Or maybe there was?

I understand things happen that can't be helped and I am one to just go with the flow but if I have in some way paid for a certain number of ports and don't get that number should I not get more than a "sorry" email?

Maybe I'm wrong, but don't we pay port charges in our cruise fare? If so, if they can't dock at one port and don't add a replacement, shouldn't there be some compensation? Or maybe there was?

I understand things happen that can't be helped and I am one to just go with the flow but if I have in some way paid for a certain number of ports and don't get that number should I not get more than a "sorry" email?

when ports were missed, a small OBC was added to my on board account...it has been a small amount...maybe $9 pp or so.

Archived