My review of celebrity solstice

lizzy77

BUT anymore gimmicky than say, a rock climbing wall, a wave rider, a water slide that comes out from the side of a ship, restaurants with singing waiters, an ice bar, champagne waterfalls, etc etc.

Most of what occurs on a ship, any ship, is gimmicky and designed to 'capture' or appeal to a market jaded by the last gimmick and pull in the punters.

Hmmm -- can't think of anything really "gimmicky" on the more traditional lines eg P&O UK and Cunard.

Barry

Thanks for the review. I cant wait to go in March. This ship has a reputation that proceeds it. The balcony cabin I have is an obstructed view one on the port side above the specialty restaurants so it has the blue platform stretching away from it. Any comments about these cabins will be appreciated. I cant complain because I got it cheap. In fact it was cheaper than my Grand Event cruise on Aurora this year that I had an inside cabin for.

Just a query did the prices for specialty restaurants have a higher fare on board compared to pre pay before you go?

Those cabins are a great deal and in my opinion there was no obstruction at all. You could still see right out in front of you. If was only when you looked down that you could see the obstruction. Inside they are exactly the same as any others.

They do sell packages for the specialty restaurants when you get on board and if you are prebooking for Tuscan Grill which has the best aft view, book a table by the window.

Hmmm -- can't think of anything really "gimmicky" on the more traditional lines eg P&O UK and Cunard.

Barry

Cunard has the biggest gimick of all......still pretending its 1930 with 1st class and second class (grill & bar) and trying to portray the sophisticated age of dressing for dinner, laughter and gaiety.

Now thats not a criticism as that appeals to me (if i could afford it) but that's Cunards selling point. The elegance of a bygone age....which at its crux is a gimick as the world is no longer like that. But it sells nd attracts a certain demographic very successfully. It maybe a more tasteful and classy gimmick than a rock climbing wall....but it amounts to the same concept and aim......money. B;)

Cunard has the biggest gimick of all......still pretending its 1930 with 1st class and second class (grill & bar) and trying to portray the sophisticated age of dressing for dinner, laughter and gaiety.

Now thats not a criticism as that appeals to me (if i could afford it) but that's Cunards selling point. The elegance of a bygone age....which at its crux is a gimick as the world is no longer like that. But it sells nd attracts a certain demographic very successfully. It maybe a more tasteful and classy gimmick than a rock climbing wall....but it amounts to the same concept and aim......money. B;)

Yes with Cunard, how much you pay for your cabin depeneds on where you eat..i.e. Queens Grill, Princess Grill, Britannia. Also a couple areas reserved for the toffs I believe. In other words the Brain Surgeon does not want to eat with the Truck Driver. Bazzaw would know more about all that stuff.

Not for me Cunard.

Do I see some roping off of the "grassed" area?? I was wondering how a small patch of grass could be maintained with so many people on such a ship. If so, I would consider that the grass is just a novelty which actually reduces the area of the ship that can be actually used??

Cunard's Queen Elizabeth has a "grass' bowling green, a "gass" crocquet green and a lawn tennis court - but of course, this "grass" is artificial. It is however a very nice and well used area of that ship.

Barry

I wonder if we could get a cricket match going on Celebrity Solstice's grass lawn? OR perhaps put in a few golf holes for the chipping and putting practice? LOL.

Well, I'm afraid I still like a ship to look and feel like a ship - that is, wooden decks and some motion. If I want grass I can go to a park! Likewise, if I want a mall, I can go down to Westfield. (I know I am the odd one out here, but it doesn't bother me. :D

Yes with Cunard, how much you pay for your cabin depeneds on where you eat..i.e. Queens Grill, Princess Grill, Britannia. Also a couple areas reserved for the toffs I believe. In other words the Brain Surgeon does not want to eat with the Truck Driver. Bazzaw would know more about all that stuff.

Not for me Cunard.

To everything there is a time and place...

You could also say...

the Truck Driver does not want to eat with the Brain Surgeon.

Vive la difference

I wonder if we could get a cricket match going on Celebrity Solstice's grass lawn? OR perhaps put in a few golf holes for the chipping and putting practice? LOL.

Maybe they will. I recall reading that mini put golf is already played on the lawn as well as lawn bowls and gold croquet. If I recall correctly Japan has a national sport called gateball which is similar to croquet.

Hi Les

Tis a pity you are on the Solstice cruise after us...otherwise I could bring some Cricket gear (the plastic bat/ball/stumps) and we could arrange a cricket "State of Origin"....might amuse some of the yanks, let alone the Aussies:p

Cheers

Well, I'm afraid I still like a ship to look and feel like a ship - that is, wooden decks and some motion. If I want grass I can go to a park! Likewise, if I want a mall, I can go down to Westfield. (I know I am the odd one out here, but it doesn't bother me. :D

Trust me Sandy..... You would love the ship. It has everything for everybody. All those extras are just part of it. What you would love is all the little places around the ship that so that everyone has a place to sit and read and it never felt like a big ship.

Maybe they will. I recall reading that mini put golf is already played on the lawn as well as lawn bowls and gold croquet.

Yes, that's correct. The golf clubs and ball were sitting waiting for someone to use them when I went past, and on the other side some players were hard at a large round of petanque.

Trust me Sandy..... You would love the ship. It has everything for everybody. All those extras are just part of it. What you would love is all the little places around the ship that so that everyone has a place to sit and read and it never felt like a big ship.

Agree strongly with Liz's above comments and key point about lots of good private places in and around this classy ship.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 112,192 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Hi Les

Tis a pity you are on the Solstice cruise after us...otherwise I could bring some Cricket gear (the plastic bat/ball/stumps) and we could arrange a cricket "State of Origin"....might amuse some of the yanks, let alone the Aussies:p

Cheers

Flipper, I played cricket in the netted area behind the funnel just about every sea day arvo on Arcadia this year, Sydney to Southampton. Passengers v Indian stewards/cooks etc. Suffice to say the pax got a flogging most days. My joints are still sore. Yes pity we will not cruise together, anyway when I board Solstice I will mark your fast medium bowling run up on the grass lawn up top. LOL.

Geez those Indians love a game of cricket, fanatics they are and good.

Archived