Are you ready for this! Celebrity Solstice photos coming!

Sutho

Glad to see her in Sydney. 'Been lucky enough to sail her & her siblings 4 times.

You all are in for a great cruise. :) Great photos Sutho. :cool:

Sadly we have to wait until Jan '14 to ride her again, this time to Taz & Kiwi Land. :D

Enjoy,

2MC

Looking at Sutho's excellent photos - it appears to only have one upper level?? And no external access between the Promenade deck and that upper level.

"proper" ships :D -- like P&O Oriana and Cunard QM2 have exterior areas on all/most decks (at the rear of the ship) and you are able to traverse between lower decks and upper decks externally.

This newer design ships may be glitzy inside - but I am not very keen on their exteriors. They are after all supposed to be "ships" - not just floating hotel blocks.

Barry

Hmm - this ship does not appear to have much exterior public space.

Barry

I thought the opposite Barry.

I looked t the pic from directly overhead and thought 'that's a massive open deck - I don't think I have seen as much open space on one deck for a while'. To me most ships have open space sort of tiered where as this looked massive. You off course cannot see the seating around the indoor glassed roof solarium pool as well. Or the lower down and one what obstructed promanade deck.

wow, words fail me Sutho and I cannot thank you enough for your spectacular photos. As I was actually on it doing the 1 nighter I am even more thankful for the memories.

Barry, yes there is lots and lots of open deck area. At the back is a great area with bar etc and can be reached from the buffet for al fresco dining. Also along that side is the large real grassed area with lovely chair settings a bit like a country club feel. You can get from pool deck to the upper deck and there is a relaxing quiet spot at the back. The pool deck is huge and as also stated there is a huge indoor pool area as well. I actually thought it was the best outdoor layout.

I did manage to get some photos of the upper decks. I personally like the connection from promenade to top decks as well without having to go inside the ship. We have to remember this is one large ship over 300m long and over 40m wide if I remember correctly.

lets have a little fun here and see if anyone finds themselves in these photos.

8261979239_78c88a5f93_b.jpg

8261978313_1332b91933_b.jpg

8261977501_1a912738c9_b.jpg

8261976475_83977e5312_b.jpg

My balcony will be one of these below with the large blue obstruction in the way.

8263043390_6c44509115_b.jpg

8261974701_17e12f697a_b.jpg

Hmm - this ship does not appear to have much exterior public space. Barry

6andy6: I thought the opposite Barry. I looked t the pic from directly overhead and thought 'that's a massive open deck - I don't think I have seen as much open space on one deck for a while'. To me most ships have open space sort of tiered where as this looked massive. You off course cannot see the seating around the indoor glassed roof solarium pool as well. Or the lower down and one what obstructed promanade deck.

First' date=' [i']super, super thanks and great praise to Sutho for such awesome pictures[/i] being posted of the Solstice doing its first visit to scenic Sydney. Looking forward to our first “down under” visit, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, with this Celebrity Solstice sailing, departing Sydney, doing 14 days on this ship we loved in the Med in June 2011. As noted and connected below we did this great ship in June, 2011, in the Med. See lots and lots of ship facility, entertainment, food, etc., pictures below on my live/blog that has been fairly popular.

Second, below are just a few of my pictures for our sailing to illustrate how roomy, nice and classy are certain of the public areas on this ship. It's really nice. Kind of large, but it never seemed that crowded.

Questions and reactions about this ship?

For Sutho, keep posting more and more of your wonderful pictures. Love them all, especially the recent night shots you just posted.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 111,899 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Here’s a sample of the pools and the activities around this key hub area of the Solstice.:

SolsticeMainPoolGuyWatching.jpg

In the pool area, they have these water jets that put on a nice “show”, both to watch and/or for kids to play in.:

SolsticeKidsPool.jpg

I liked to ride one of the eight glass elevators in the mid-ship courtyard with nice views out to the different floors, enjoying the ship architecture, people being active, etc. You can see the relaxing library in this shot. Classy design on this ship! Some tradition, but not too dated or old.:

SolsticeElevatorsGlassHighView.jpg

The Solarium was one of our most favorite areas. Food and drinks were nearby and it was very relaxed and sophisticated. Quieter, too, as it is an adults-only area. Two hot tubs here. Not crowded, especially in the evenings. Nice art and design with this facility. Wonderful setting for relaxing and watching the outside water/shore views, enjoying subtle inside action, etc.:

SolsticeSolariumSunnyDay.jpg

On the top, back of the Solstice, here is a wider view of Corning Hot Glass show area, plus the green grass and the unique covering designs for this special area of the ship. Classy design touches and style!!:

SolsticeGlassGrassBack.jpg

What sort of lens? And camera? Looking at investing in my first SLR (beginners of course).

The best advice I can give if you are looking into digital SLR is to first set a budget and decide what you want out of it. HD Video, the megapixels etc. Most beginner cameras even come with the same image processor as the more professional ones. The difference is sensor size. Generally the bigger the sensor size the better (for a number of reasons including the ability to use a quicker shutter speed).

It also pays to learn shutter speed and apeture values. I can take a photo at 1/30 second with camera in hand. Anything slower I need a tripod. The slower the shutter speed can be more creative with moving objects. Faster the image is sharper and clearer. Apeture is similar. If I take a photo of a person at f/1.8 then their face will be super sharp and clear and the background highly blurred. If I take a photo at f/10 then their face and background will be sharp. Lower f rating = bigger lens hole opening and higher f rating = smaller lens hole opening.

Other measures I take when using my camera is I prevent the camera from using ISO ratings above 800 to prevent noise.

Lenses are probably more important than camera body. The following two photos were taken with my EOS 60D at exactly the same shutter speed and apeture. I used different lenses. One lens was the professional L series and the other was the standard kit lens. It sometimes pays to buy "body only" and then go out sourcing your own lenses.

This one is the EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM

413759_10150918756864037_258573481_o.jpg

Then this one here is the kit lens the EF-S 55-250mm

177947_10150918757099037_474442982_o.jpg

The best advice I can give if you are looking into digital SLR is to first set a budget and decide what you want out of it. HD Video, the megapixels etc. Most beginner cameras even come with the same image processor as the more professional ones. The difference is sensor size. Generally the bigger the sensor size the better (for a number of reasons including the ability to use a quicker shutter speed).

It also pays to learn shutter speed and apeture values. I can take a photo at 1/30 second with camera in hand. Anything slower I need a tripod. The slower the shutter speed can be more creative with moving objects. Faster the image is sharper and clearer. Apeture is similar. If I take a photo of a person at f/1.8 then their face will be super sharp and clear and the background highly blurred. If I take a photo at f/10 then their face and background will be sharp. Lower f rating = bigger lens hole opening and higher f rating = smaller lens hole opening.

Other measures I take when using my camera is I prevent the camera from using ISO ratings above 800 to prevent noise.

Lenses are probably more important than camera body. The following two photos were taken with my EOS 60D at exactly the same shutter speed and apeture. I used different lenses. One lens was the professional L series and the other was the standard kit lens. It sometimes pays to buy "body only" and then go out sourcing your own lenses.

Thanks for that. Budget is limited at this point. Only havev$500 -$700 to ply around with. Maybe buy a bigger lens once i get the hang of it. As I said just looking at entry models such as the Nikon D3100 & the Canon EOS 600D. They look and get good reviews & I understand they do not have the whizz bang as other models that cost a couple of hundred more..but that's my budget.

These photos are just outstanding - thanks to everyone for posting them.

I definately think DH and I need to try the Solstice in the near future. Have 2 Princess cruises already booked but need to try this amazing looking ship.

We are in our mid 50's - does anyone have any ideas if we are too old for the Solstice?

Sure hope she is still sailing here in 2013/2014 - anyone have any thoughts on that also?

Cheers,

Vicki.

Thanks for that. Budget is limited at this point. Only havev$500 -$700 to ply around with. Maybe buy a bigger lens once i get the hang of it. As I said just looking at entry models such as the Nikon D3100 & the Canon EOS 600D. They look and get good reviews & I understand they do not have the whizz bang as other models that cost a couple of hundred more..but that's my budget.

They are good models. Do not let any sales people con you into paying premium prices. Check out what you can get them for off Ebay and tell the sales people that if you wish to buy in Australia. Some of my equipment I have imported from Hong Kong (Ebay) and saved well over $500 for one of my lenses and yes it is real equipment.

To start off with it is a good idea to get body only and find a decent lens to start with. Generally something like 18mm-55mm is a good general starting point. Try the comparisson charts on wikipedia as they have a good format for comparing products and do not suffer from the bias of people who favour Canon over Nikon and the likes of Sigma, Tamron lenses etc.

Brilliant work again Sutho, well done. I can only imagine what shots you will take on our 4 March NZ cruise on Solstice.

Thanks for the comments. I am sure the cruise will be great and am looking forward to it. I have a lot of good ideas for places to visit.

We are in our mid 50's - does anyone have any ideas if we are too old for the Solstice?

Definitely fine. Celebrity's for all ages, although has a skew towards older age groups in quiet seasons. There are fewer facilities (like skating, wave surfing, bowling) and parties than some cruise lines who target younger age groups, so some younger groups look to lines like RCL and NCL who target them more.

Sure hope she is still sailing here in 2013/2014 - anyone have any thoughts on that also?

Yes, she will be here and bookings are already open for that season. She's only here for about 4-5 months each time, over our Summer.

Super excellent photo tips and insights have been posted earlier by Sutho. I have had a Nikon D3100 for over two years and have been very, very pleased by the results. A good friend has the little more upscale D7000 that has a heavier body and more features. BUT, I really like the size and handling of the D3100. Nikon now has a D3200 out that has an even higher 24mp potential, but with the 14mp size now and shooting raw, this camera does about everything I can imagine or need. Below are a few more tips for learning and growing photographers to consider, plus a couple more samples from the Solstice to keep building the excitement on this ship. Capturing those cruise memories is really important. With digital today, you don't need to spend a fortune, nor get too carried away with technical features you will never use or need.

Super smart comment by Sutho on: "Do not let any sales people con you into paying premium prices. Check out what you can get them for off Ebay and tell the sales people that if you wish to buy in Australia. Some of my equipment I have imported from Hong Kong (Ebay) and saved well over $500 for one of my lenses and yes it is real equipment."

Lens are also important. Mostly I shoot with the Nikon 18-55mm mid-range zoom lens that came with this camera. Now have also a Nikon 55-300mm VR lenses for longer shots and a 10-20mm Sigma wide angle that is great for church and building interiors, etc. This wide angle also allows getting special interiors like of the Solarium area on the Solstice. This Nikon D3100 camera also has 1080HD video capability that works well with our two grandsons born within 21 and a half months of each other. In most cases, I shoot in the program or auto setting, letting the camera do the work on settings and focus so that I can be more concerned on framing and subject options. These cameras can be “complicated”, but I try to avoid those challenges and distractions. Here are a few basic, key photography secrets:

1. Shooting lots of pictures. That's easier with digital to do, learning as you are taking pictures. Show people only the "good ones!" and do not boring them with the average and/or poor ones.

2. Move closer! Zoom in, fill up the frame, try different angles.

3. Involve people. Make it interesting. Get that human element/connection when possible.

4. Hold things steady. Gently squeeze. Use door frames, walls to lessen the blurs in lower-light situations.

5. Editing: Fine-tune your pictures on your lap-top, brighten when needed, level it out, improve the croppings, etc. Narrow down to only your "best of the best" pictures before sharing. I do that on my MacBook Pro computer using their iPhoto software tools. Fairly quick and easy!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 111,951 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info on the Solstice and its features/options at:

Here is an overview for this wonderfully-appointed, speciality Murano dining room with nice wood, ceiling, glass, etc., details. Maximum capacity for seating in 90. For the last night, they have 30 people on a waiting listing. We booked ahead which was smart in order to get a specific date on a sea day late in the cruise.:

MuranoRoomOverview.jpg

Doing dining “family-style” is especially fun in an Asian-style setting such as Silk Harvest. That sharing of the experience adds to the fun and interest. For sushi, they put together a nice variety of options and the waiter did an added sauce option that was great to test and vary the flavors. Liked it LOTS here at Silk Harvest!! Testing new things is a good value/purpose for such cruises and these types of dining options. Fun, also!!:

SolsticeSilkHarvestSushi-1.jpg

For the handy and quick, especially at breakfast and lunch time, here is the Oceanview Cafe buffet on the Solstice. This visual sample shows how large and open are these various serving areas. This area includes getting items from the pizza-pasta bar area, various hot and cold items, free tea and juice machines, etc.:

SolsticeOceanviewBuffet1.jpg

Hi The Big M,

Thank you so much for your feedback, much appreciated. Will continue to look out for a cruise for us.

More amazing photos Terry - thanks again. She certainly looks like a very classy and beautiful ship.

Cheers,

Vicki.

Hi The Big M, Thank you so much for your feedback, much appreciated. Will continue to look out for a cruise for us. More amazing photos Terry - thanks again. She certainly looks like a very classy and beautiful ship. Cheers, Vicki.

YES, Vicki, the Solstice is very nice and well designed. The quality is there, solid and not shouting. Good luck in your search for the right cruise for your needs.

THANKS for the nice comments on the pictures! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 111,951 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Archived