Post your favorite CRUISE PICTURES

c230k

I've attached a larger version of this picture...the light was really tough that morning, so the slow shutter speed and the ISO show a little bit...but you can't really can't tell when it's printed at 8x10 or smaller so I'm happy.

I could not believe it when the bear turned and looked at me right in the eye. Check out the water falling from its mouth and the freshly killed salmon at its feet. :)

Nikon D800

Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 VRII (No TC)

Manual - f/2.8, 1/45, 160mm, ISO 800, No Flash, Handheld

No Post Processing Other Than Cropping & Conversion To JPEG

DJM_4320.jpg

Great pic of the bear!

Hand held 1/45 at 160mm? Impressive! You must have nerves of steel!

Lovely!!

Do they actually allow people out there on the RCI ships?

On HAL ships no passengers are allowed out on the bow when the ship is moving or at night even though they do not have helicopter pads.

I believe that the only time passengers are not allowed on the helipad is when there is a helicopter coming. Otherwise, its open. When the boat is moving, its very windy. This night was a sea night and we had pretty much come to a stop as there was no wind. We had to take advantage!

I believe that the only time passengers are not allowed on the helipad is when there is a helicopter coming. Otherwise, its open. When the boat is moving, its very windy. This night was a sea night and we had pretty much come to a stop as there was no wind. We had to take advantage!

The ship had come to a stop while at sea? What on earth happened?

Nice photo, though...

The ship had come to a stop while at sea? What on earth happened?

Nice photo, though...

Nothing happened, I suppose it was the only way to get a whole sea day out of travelling from St John NB to Halifax NS (normally a 3 hour drive by car).

Great pic of the bear!

Hand held 1/45 at 160mm? Impressive! You must have nerves of steel!

I wouldn't say that, but thanks. I've made 6 or 7 years of mistakes and I guess I'm finally getting better at these things. Even so, more than 50% of the shots I took this day had at least some evidence of camera shake. Given that the bridges between platforms were suspension bridges, it's no wonder. :)

Sometimes it's hard to deal with, but many, many of our fellow excursionists can be very pushy -- and this particular day was no exception. This is generally a problem anytime there are animals involved. The only way I am able to try for anything nice is to wait for everyone to get their shots and finish jockeying for position before I try. Since I used to weigh 430+ pounds, I am pretty self-conscious about crowding and bumping into people -- and this is even after losing 175 back down . I'm self-conscious enough that I'd rather miss the shot altogether than to have people whining about someone being in their way. Not worth it to me...

I was really glad I took my 70-200mm f/2.8 lens with me -- most of the shots other people showed me were simply not able to get there. They kept wondering why their P&S box cameras could not get a sharply focused shot zoomed in on a bear. I honestly just didn't have the heart to tell them why. There were a couple of times I wished I had my 400mm f/2.8 with me, but not too often. That lens weighs about 15 pounds by itself and these days I have NO hope of getting anything decent with it unless I'm on a tripod. When I needed it, I added the TC to the 70-200. If the light wasn't great, I just bumped up the ISO.

• 2 weeks later...

Gary Friedman The latest entry on the Friedman Archives Blog has been posted! In this issue I talk about the challenges of shooting grizzly bears in the worst light imaginable (it was dark and it was raining!).

http://friedmanarchives.blogspot.com/2013/11/grizzlies-in-rrbl-really-really-bad.html

Great write up for those going to Alaska and shooting widlife in low light.

Tom :cool:

Gary Friedman The latest entry on the Friedman Archives Blog has been posted! In this issue I talk about the challenges of shooting grizzly bears in the worst light imaginable (it was dark and it was raining!).

http://friedmanarchives.blogspot.com/2013/11/grizzlies-in-rrbl-really-really-bad.html

Great write up for those going to Alaska and shooting widlife in low light.

Tom :cool:

Thanks for this...wish I had seen this myself before I went. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...