Help Deciding Between 3 Iteneraries

ladytiger96

We just left The Magic (CCL) on Sunday. Ready to book our next cruise, but can't decide between 3 iteneraries. We just returned from Montego Bay/Cayman/Cozumel. We will not plan many excursions, maybe just some snorkeling or beach time.

The Glory- Nassau, St. Thomas, Grand Turk, Puerto Rico (a couple we met are doing this one. This is the only itenerary, however, that would require airfare for us, making it the most expensive.)

The next 2 would be on The Magic or The Sunshine

Key West, Freeport, Nassau

or

Mahogony Bay (Roatan), Belize, Cozumel

Any suggestions? We will travel in December and are a family with 2 school aged kids.

Thank you!

Leisha

I would chose the Glory as we like the ship, ports have good beaches and snorkeling. The Glory's ports are the eastern Caribbean and you have been to the western Caribbean so go somewhere different.

But with the mega changes being made on the old Destiny, about to become the Sunshine, I would consider her just for the new major changes being made, not the ports.

My wallet wants me to tell you to go to Roatan, Belize & Cozumel because you won't have airfare & they are farther south than the other ports.

However I don't care for the ports on either of the trips with no airfare but I like cruising out of Puerto Rico.

If all you want to do is snorkle, I suppose it doesn't matter that much so Roatan Belize & Cozumel tour would be OK. If you do go, take the kids river tubing through the caves in Belize; it's really cool.

Like others, not having airfare for 4 is attractive and of the two itineraries withiut air my opinion is the Roatan, Belize and Coz route. First, I hace hit the Bahamas on nearly every cruise to the Caribbean I am not a big fan of them. Key West is nice but when consideing snorkeling options and water temp etc., the Bahamas and Key West route does not compare well to the other two. If airfare for 4 is not so big a deal, the best route IMO is from San Juan.

http://luv2cruise.blogspot.com

I've read recently about ships being turned away from Nausau. If you're traveling THIS December, there's a chance your ship will MISS Nausau.

For that reason, I'd choose the Roatan, Belize Cozumel itinerary. I've done these ports on a cruise out of Galveston. I'd recommend a day at Fantasy Island Resort in Roatan. Your kids (and YOU) will LOVE the animal reserve area. The friendly monkeys will steal your sunglasses, but they eventually give them back. (Be sure to take CHEAP sunglasses!)

ENJOY!

I've read recently about ships being turned away from Nausau. If you're traveling THIS December, there's a chance your ship will MISS Nausau.

Just wondering if you heard "why" the ships are being turned away? Not that I would care one bit if we were on a ship that went there and we didn't dock. But just wondering?

I would definitely pick Roatan, Belize and Cozumel if airfare is an issue. I would never pick the Key West, Nassau and Freeport. That's not even the Caribbean, it's the Bahamas. I don't think it is as nice and those are the ports that if I had to chose not to get off at, that would be it.

I've done all the itineraries you've mentioned, except my Freeport, Nassau cruise didn't go to Key West. All three are good, but I'd do Roatan, Belize and Cozumel again in a heartbeat!!! If you decide on the Glory, just as a note in Grand Turks some of the beach is rocky, and sea urchins which release spikes when stepped on are located throughout the area, so water shoes are necessary.

Personally I suggest skipping bahamas if you've done a cruise before, very overplayed less you want a cheap vacay. Then depending on what you like about cruising decide whats more important. Type of people on the ship (party ship or family?), excursions you might like to try (some have better snorkeling, horseback riding, or types of places you can't see elsewhere!), and the ever popular does it stop at a private island (Disneys is my the best IMHO).

Thank you everyone! Sounds like there are positives to all. We are strongly leaning toward the Belize Roatan one on The Sunshine. Our kids are very excited about the ship. There is no airfare required. Ports seem good for snorkeling. Thanks!!

Leisha

Thanks for the link. I read about 1/2 of the first page. So, they are being turned away because there are too many ships scheduled at the same time and not enough docking area. Weird. They should know how many ships are there in a day and plan accordingly. I wouldn't be upset if we ever missed it.

Thanks for the link. I read about 1/2 of the first page. So, they are being turned away because there are too many ships scheduled at the same time and not enough docking area. Weird. They should know how many ships are there in a day and plan accordingly. I wouldn't be upset if we ever missed it.

Agreed. Nassau is definitely NOT a favorite. But you'd think they could get their act together.

Archived