Can You Eat Wheat or Gluten Free onboard?

BayCalif-Ariz R Us

We will be on the Grand Princess in March for 15 days and I'm starting a wheat-free diet to lose weight. Does Princess offer wheat or gluten free meals? Thanks

Yes they do . My DW is Celiac and she doesn't have any problem being Gluten Free. Just mark it on the cruise personalizer.

I have a wheat allergy and I am going to try to eat wheat/gluten free on my next cruise. At home I have noticed a terrific difference in my body since being wheat/gluten free. The lack of joint pain is wonderful. If I slip up and eat wheat by mistake it is immediately noticable. Good to hear that Princess can accomodate this diet.

I have a wheat allergy and I am going to try to eat wheat/gluten free on my next cruise. At home I have noticed a terrific difference in my body since being wheat/gluten free. The lack of joint pain is wonderful. If I slip up and eat wheat by mistake it is immediately noticable. Good to hear that Princess can accomodate this diet.

I agree if it is health issue to eat gluten free . Gluten Free (GF) is becoming a fade diet . There are claims that by not eating gluten you'll lose weight . To lose weight on a GF diet you also have cut out all carbs as well.

My DW went on a GF diet (allergy) , she also had to reduce her carbs otherwise her weight didn't go down but up.

Thanks so much all - I am going to go for it and now is as good a time as any to get started with the cruiser still 3 months away. What got me thinking about it was the several people at holiday parties I have spoken to who have gone wheat-free and lost weight and kept it off. I guess the trick for any diet is to not focus on what you can't eat but what you can eat. Since we are anytime diners we'll just have to tell a different waiter every night that I would like the gluten-free meal. My best friend has one of the worst cases of celiac and manages it. I asked about the book 'Wheat Belly' which is all the rage now and she says I'm just better off going gluten free if I want to lose weight and keep it off.

On our last cruise, my cousin requested Gluten free and we were anytime diners. Every night, the Maitre De would bring her menus for the next night. I could not believe how she was catered to. If she had something special she wanted, not a problem. I was very impressed.

Thank you Liz - I am going to do some serious internet research and there's plenty out there on eating GF. OK no pizza, bread (sob-there go those delicious pastries and fresh baked dinner rolls) but bacon is OK, sushi, meats, potatos, veggies, fruit, lots of desserts. I won't starve. No beer, but wine is OK.

Since we are anytime diners we'll just have to tell a different waiter every night that I would like the gluten-free meal.

The best path is to work with a headwaiter each evening to plan the next day's meals (B,L,D) that will be in the dining room. He will assist in setting up any needed special requests which will be filed away by your cabin number so it can be retrieved by any waiter.

I suggest using the same anytime dining room each evening so you can work with the same headwaiter every time.

Although your waiter needs to be made aware you should not have gluten, it is the headwaiter and the Matre d' who have the authority to make this work for you.

On our last cruise, we had a gluten free table mate. The head waiter came by every meal to check with what he would have the following day. They had everything he requested and were very accommodating in meeting his needs.

A year ago June when we booked our 25th anniversary cruise for this past March, my wife said she wanted to go horseback riding in the surf. There's a 250 pound weight limit - and I weighed 278. Time to change my eating habits. I just stopped eating big breakfasts and lunches. Now just have a cup of skim milk and a banana for breakfast and a Greek yogurt and a piece of fruit for lunch, normal dinner (limit seconds), and no late night snack. No special exercises.. I was 242 by the time we cruised and we went horseback riding in the surf for our silver anniversary. Now I' down to 220. Losing slower but still losing. My message is there's no "magic" to it - eat less and you'll lose weight. I did.

Thank you Liz - I am going to do some serious internet research and there's plenty out there on eating GF. OK no pizza, bread (sob-there go those delicious pastries and fresh baked dinner rolls) but bacon is OK, sushi, meats, potatos, veggies, fruit, lots of desserts. I won't starve. No beer, but wine is OK.

Soy sauce contains wheat. You may need to check the sushi as well. Good luck with your effort and enjoy your cruise!

You can Eat anything you like in moderation.stay under your daily calorie maximum and you lose weight.Weight Watchers is the only way to lose for life,if you follow it.Lost 30 pounds since August and hope another 30 by April,I may gain 10 or so back.

You can Eat anything you like in moderation.stay under your daily calorie maximum and you lose weight.Weight Watchers is the only way to lose for life,if you follow it.Lost 30 pounds since August and hope another 30 by April,I may gain 10 or so back.

Agree about Weight Watchers. Lost 147 pounds on WW 30 years ago and have kept it off following the basics and exercising daily.

Easy to follow anywhere in the world and healthy.

Thanks guys but we're getting a little off track here. Everybody has known for years that eating healthy and eating less will result in weight loss and keeping extra pounds off. Weight Watchers is wonderful. I'm sure there have been a kazillion threads about dieting on a cruise. But this thread is about eating wheat/gluten free on Princess. The soy sauce info is helpful. I know even the low sodium kind has too much salt in it but I didn't know it contained wheat. By the time we set sail I will have a pretty good idea of what I can and cannot eat on this particular diet. And I love to hear about head waiters who really do pay attention to people who ask for GF meals. I know beer is not allowed, but I gather a couple of glasses of wine is. But not sure. I appreciate all who have taken the time to help me out here but please let's stick to the topic.

I am new to wheat intolerance and have many questions as you do. I have found that googling "is xxx gluten free" will result in lots of good information. For example, wine is OK, beer is not, and it depends for liquor.

Yes the Internet - like Cruise Critic - is a wonderful source of information. I am blessed that I am doing this strictly for weight loss (at least I will try it for the coming months-if it doesn't work it doesn't work). So I don't have a problem if trace elements of wheat are eaten. For instance I made French toast for my husband this morning and then scrambled the remaining egg mixture in the same pan for my breakfast.

On RCCL I've seen bread under the bacon to sop up the fat in the Windjammer... Also, bring your own GF soy sauce for the sushi!

On our last cruise, we had a gluten free table mate. The head waiter came by every meal to check with what he would have the following day. They had everything he requested and were very accommodating in meeting his needs.

Correct. I am a Coeliac (Celiac) and I eat in the MDR - Traditional dining at night, same waiters. The headwaiter comes around with the menu for the next night and I pick what I want, they are very good. As you say, often the Maitre 'D' calls at the table too.

For breakfast and lunch I eat mostly at the Buffet, but if in doubt ask questions of staff re GF. I do advise the cruiseline in advance.

The pizza maker will also make GF pizzas if you order the bases in advance. I have also got GF bread from the buffet and used it to make up a burger or hot dog at the burger bar, just get the meat patty or sausage etc from the cook, no problems. I have found that most sausages, cold meat on Princess is GF, I got a list last year from the Food and Beverage Manager on Ruby. He was very helpful.

I also ordered a carton of Redbridge Gluten Free beer from Princess last year before embarking Coral Princess at Fort Lauderdale. It was delivered to my cabin at cost price. I drank it around the ship, no problems. Princess does not stock GF beer on board. However Strongbow Cider is available and that is GF, I drink that also.

Correct. I am a Coeliac (Celiac) and I eat in the MDR - Traditional dining at night, same waiters. The headwaiter comes around with the menu for the next night and I pick what I want, they are very good. As you say, often the Maitre 'D' calls at the table too.

For breakfast and lunch I eat mostly at the Buffet, but if in doubt ask questions of staff re GF. I do advise the cruiseline in advance.

The pizza maker will also make GF pizzas if you order the bases in advance. I have also got GF bread from the buffet and used it to make up a burger or hot dog at the burger bar, just get the meat patty or sausage etc from the cook, no problems. I have found that most sausages, cold meat on Princess is GF, I got a list last year from the Food and Beverage Manager on Ruby. He was very helpful.

I also ordered a carton of Redbridge Gluten Free beer from Princess last year before embarking Coral Princess at Fort Lauderdale. It was delivered to my cabin at cost price. I drank it around the ship, no problems. Princess does not stock GF beer on board. However Strongbow Cider is available and that is GF, I drink that also.

Unless get violently ill from the Soya why even worry about the tiny amount in the Soya. Is it worth taking a bottle then having it break in your carry or luggage and possibly damage your possessions.

Archived