New HAL tote bags?

rafinmd

much classier than the old soft fabric ones. We have bought bags of this material in several cities as it's easy to carry and light enough to fold into a pocket after dinner when we bring our wine to the DR. In fact we have several 4 compartment bags like that for wine. I think the blue is nicer than the plain neutral.

It surprised me to measure and find the former style canvas totes are the same size as the new ones. The lighter color of the canvas seemed to make them look taller than the new dark style.

My ruler doesn't lie.... :D

They are the same size. ;)

We got the new Dark Blue with Gold Logo totes on our recent Westerdam cruise. We were Collectors so got two of the new ones in addition to another of the nice Mariners Tote. I really like those Mariners totes. They are far more substantial, a little larger and I like the front pocket. :) (Just the things that Ruth said. :) )

That Mariners Tote is not new. They've been around at least two or more years and we have received them on all our Collectors Cruises.

Don't try washing the new dark blue bags..... I suspect they cannot stand up to washing but I could be wrong.

The new bags are nice looking - they are lightweight.

received this same bag recently on Nieuw Amsterdam...wasn't going to bring it home,but needed it as a carryon on the plane for some fragile things,....got home, threw it into the machine on cold wash, hung it to dry - it dries in minutes - and looks better than new.....will use it when I shop at drug store, etc, as everyone now charges for plastic bags.

received this same bag recently on Nieuw Amsterdam...wasn't going to bring it home,but needed it as a carryon on the plane for some fragile things,....got home, threw it into the machine on cold wash, hung it to dry - it dries in minutes - and looks better than new.....will use it when I shop at drug store, etc, as everyone now charges for plastic bags.

Good to get this first hand report about the durability of the new bags - supports the idea this change can also cut down on potential noro-virus contamination problems found in re-usable cloth shopping bags. Being able to wash and dry them quickly is a big plus in this regard.

This is probably a very good marketing tactic for getting the HAL name out there more. Having not seen one in person yet but based on the photos, it seems like these are more similar to the reusable grocery bags. HAL may be thinking that instead of taking the bags home and never using them again (as we do with ours) perhaps people will use them more often and more people will see them, therefore seeing the HAL name and logo.

Douglas...Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is probably a very good marketing tactic for getting the HAL name out there more. Having not seen one in person yet but based on the photos, it seems like these are more similar to the reusable grocery bags. HAL may be thinking that instead of taking the bags home and never using them again (as we do with ours) perhaps people will use them more often and more people will see them, therefore seeing the HAL name and logo.

While on an MV Discovery cruise a while back, we saw more HAL logo swag than any other cruise line - in fact zero from any other cruise line. We saw HAL tote bags, fanny packs, cruise card lanyards, dam ship t-shirts and even multiple HAL Race for the Cure moments. Nice cross-over of passengers on these two unique itinerary/enrichment oriented cruise lines. So as a marketing tactic, it definitely worked.

Good to get this first hand report about the durability of the new bags - supports the idea this change can also cut down on potential noro-virus contamination problems found in re-usable cloth shopping bags. Being able to wash and dry them quickly is a big plus in this regard.

I have washed our cloth ones too.

Why would the cloth ones be more susceptible to "potential noro-virus contamination problems"?

I have washed our cloth ones too.

Why would the cloth ones be more susceptible to "potential noro-virus contamination problems"?

Depends how often or how easily they get washed up. These new ones obviously wash and dry much faster which would encourage less contaminated reuse, but if one wants to wash our the canvas bags in their cabin sinks and let them dry between uses each time they might be contaminated, then there is no difference.

I suspect HAL was trying to break the contamination chain in every way possible. Credit to them for trying this after the recent publicity about re-used personal cloth shopping bags being one more link in the noro-contamination chain. http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/05/09/11604166-reusable-grocery-bag-carried-nasty-norovirus-scientists-say?lite

We have sailed with HAL since about 1991 and have a collection of many styles/colors/ materials HAL tote bags and I often use them around our community. I have never left a bag aboard as I find lots of uses for them.

Celebrity has been giving out those non-fabric grocery-style totes in the cabin, too (plus a more substantial fabric tote with plastic-leather trim for Concierge Class and above, if they're still doing it.)

I've always preferred the HAL "real" fabric tote version, though I confess they are piled up in our luggage storage room unused ...I guess this may end the creative uses we've all seen on board (people with vests, etc created by sewing the cloth HAL totes into clothing.)

Regardless, it's a nice touch especially for going ashore if you don't happen to travel with a tote. Hope such extras don't go the way of those nice blue ticket holders we used to get with bag tags, shore ex booklet, etc.

[quote name='Caribbean Chris'](plus a more substantial fabric tote with plastic-leather trim for Concierge Class and above, if they're still doing it.)

.[/quote]
They are still doing it. It's a nice bag that folds up into a little one. That's one thing that I liked about my Celebrity cruise in May.

[B]It's so easy........

If someone doesn't like the tote bag HAL hands out, they can select their own and bring it or they can do without entirely.

Those of us who enjoy receiving HAL totes, can enjoy them. :)

Easy :D

[/B]

We just got off the HAL Asian Pacific 75 day cruise. We got a great bag, not like any described here. It is heavy canvas with a shoulder strap if you want to use that. It is great for carrying a computer because it has a zippered top and also a zippered side pocket. I can't supply a picture, but it is olive green, which is good for a man as well. I saw others on board carrying a brown one that looked similar. That may have been from a prior cruise.

[quote name='sail7seas'][B]It's so easy........[/B]

[B]If someone doesn't like the tote bag HAL hands out, they can select their own and bring it or they can do without entirely.[/B]

[B]Those of us who enjoy receiving HAL totes, can enjoy them. :)[/B]

[B]Easy :D[/B]

[/quote]
I think that's pretty evident isn't it? Was someone suggesting that they should change? I guess I missed that post. Some like them, some don't. It's not a big deal.

[quote name='PeaceLoveCruise']I just got the new blue bag on the Westerdam a couple of weeks ago and it is a VERY cheap bag!! Ripped instantly when we put something somewhat heavier (a few cans of soup and a coyple of bunches of bananas) in it here at home. Booooooooo![/QUOTE]

I tried this at home just for the heck of it .... uhhhhh, no problems. :confused: Lightweight is not necessarily flimsy. I agree I don't like the looks of them, but they are packable, sturdy, durable and more sanitary.

[quote name='SwissMyst']
The second new bag has a "Mariner" logo on it an is really a class act - smart in blue and white canvas, with an outside pocket. We added some press-on gold embroidery small stars (4) to the Mariner logo on the side just for the fun of it.[/quote]

We received this bag in Sept. on the second leg of our collectors east/west Med cruise, and loved them. So much nicer than the lightweight white bags HAL started giving some years ago. We had preferred the heavier canvas bags originally given. In fact I still have a couple of those originals.

I use all of these for shopping in the grocery store.

[quote=George'sGal;36407348]We received this bag in Sept. on the second leg of our collectors east/west Med cruise, and loved them. So much nicer than the lightweight white bags HAL started giving some years ago. We had preferred the heavier canvas bags originally given. In fact I still have a couple of those originals.

I use all of these for shopping in the grocery store.[/quote]

[B] I so agree the bag given for Collector's Cruises are really nice. We've received a number of them and think they're very useful. Good quality, larger, sturdy straps and I like the front pocket. :)

[/B]

Archived