New HAL tote bags?

rafinmd

When I was in Barbados yesterday, many of the people on the Prinsendam were carrying spiffy new bags I hadn’t seen before. They were much like the traditional HAL tote bags, but they were HAL blue with a large HAL logo, and had a gold band around the top with the names of typical HAL destinations. The white canvas bags I’m familiar with are pretty nearly unchanged from my SS Rotterdam cruise in 1997 up to my latest cruise in February. Does anyone know, is this a new redesign?

Roy

The blue bags are the same type as the reusable grocery store bags. I believe they are made out of recycled material.

On our cruise on Eurodam that ended Saturday, everybody got blue bags but Suite passengers. We still got canvas white ones.

The blue bags are the same type as the reusable grocery store bags. I believe they are made out of recycled material.

On our cruise on Eurodam that ended Saturday, everybody got blue bags but Suite passengers. We still got canvas white ones.

On our Westerdam cruise we got the blue ones as well. Actually, I found them quite sturdy and they certainly hold more than the canvas ones:)

I did see people with the collectors' bags as well, so they are certaily still around:D

Same here on the Eurodam two weeks ago. Except my wife exchanged her white one for the new blue one at the Neptune Lounge.

DaveOKC

Can't wait to see the new bags. Between dh and myself and my parents past HAL cruises, I probably have about 10 of the older canvas bags! I'm bringing 1 of them on my Zuiderdam cruise this week - that way I'll be able to tell mine apart from the crowd. Ha ha!

We got two new bags on our last trip: one was the new one previously described, but its advantage being light-weight and much easier to carry in a pocket or purse if one needs it later while on shore.

Yes, they do look much "cheaper" than the former HAL bags, but I can see this might well be a reasonable cost savings. Who knows how many of the former heavier bags got left behind and our own closet at home is full of them from all our voyages. So making this bag more "throw-away" may have been part of the corporate decision to change. :confused:

The second new bag has a "Mariner" logo on it an is really a class act - smart in blue and white canvas, with an outside pocket. We added some press-on gold embroidery small stars (4) to the Mariner logo on the side just for the fun of it.

I received the new blue bag (as pictured previously) on my Amsterdam cruise in September.

I agree with Lorekauf that the bag feels cheap. I do not plan to use it.

The white canvas bag, with the Mariner logo, referred to by SwissMyst, is given to those taking a Collector's cruise.

I like that bag, as it is larger, strong, and has that extra pocket.

We got the new Dark Blue with Gold Logo totes on our recent Westerdam cruise. We were Collectors so got two of the new ones in addition to another of the nice Mariners Tote. I really like those Mariners totes. They are far more substantial, a little larger and I like the front pocket. :) (Just the things that Ruth said. :) )

That Mariners Tote is not new. They've been around at least two or more years and we have received them on all our Collectors Cruises.

Don't try washing the new dark blue bags..... I suspect they cannot stand up to washing but I could be wrong.

The new bags are nice looking - they are lightweight.

Don't try washing the new dark blue bags..... I suspect they cannot stand up to washing but I could be wrong.

The new bags are nice looking - they are lightweight.

[/b]

The new ones appear to be a Tyvek-type material, which in fact is strong and durable so not sure washing and re-using them would be a problem. Haven't tried it myself. (http://www2.dupont.com/Tyvek/en_US/products/product_properties.html) There have been recent reports reusable totes are a source of lot of food contamination bugs, so having bags that are not as likely to be potential part of this "noro" chain just might well be a good thing.http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/05/09/11604166-reusable-grocery-bag-carried-nasty-norovirus-scientists-say?lite

Tacky

Agree, ....... but potentially more sanitary. One needs to stop noro-viruses at every level they can and now reusable grocery totes are also under suspicion. These are more "disposable", made of a more sanitary fabric and looks like they can easily be washed and dried to help keep them clean, compared to the older canvas versions.

Archived