11,000 outnumber town of 1,400

bobpell

Maasdam will be part of a clogging flotilla of 4 ships in Philipsburg, St Maarten on April 4 with a combined passenger count of 11,000 SOB crew not included.

The Allure will be one of the uber ships causing rush hour type crowds in a tiny town boasting only 1,400 residents.

Those passengers disembarking for shore excursions will feel overwhelmed for sure!!

A thread on the Carnival forum quotes an article that 2 new megaships the size of the Allure are on the way in 2015 and 2016.

Cruising the limited ports of the Caribbean will soon resemble a gridlock of tour buses and taxi cabs clogging the already busy small islands.

Bobpell

PS...we will be relaxing on the aft Lido deck watching the mayhem sipping a cool glass of wine...sigh

Exactly what we did when there in Nov. For the life of me, can't understand what is so attractive about those huge megaliners. A relative went on one of them, said that the staterooms are smaller than on the regular ships, takes forever to get from one part of the ship to another, and you have to make reservations for some of the entertainment ahead of your cruise. He also said that the service was not as good.

Back a few years ago we were on the Westerdam and there were 8 other ships in St Maarten. The Queen Mary 2 was also suppose to be with us but she was sent over to Marigot.

At that time the dock held only 2 ships. The Westerdam was the furthest to anchor out. The winds were up and many people got sick on the tender rides.

Four ships -- that is nothing!!

Thus the tourist created port amenities by Carnival at Costa Maya, Grand Turk, Roatan........

they have to find a place to bring all these ships and cruisers.

(Not to say we don't enjoy those areas as we've had some very pleasant stops at all........)

While Philipsburg's own population is low they can more than handle 4 huge ships. They actually welcome the tourism and in my opinion do a very good job. I have been there with the Allure and two other ships beside the one I was on and the only place that was a bit crowded was the beach area but I have found other ports to feel far more crowded.

As for the Mega ships while it personally is not something I am interested in, it is not because of the size or numbers of passengers but rather that particular cruise line and the product they offer. RCI is running on the theory of Build it and They will Come. So far it has worked well for them and there is a whole new generation of cruisers that are enjoying their product and would not consider anything else. We are fortunate that not all cruise lines are the same and there is something for everyone. I do not begrudge them in what they are doing and as a matter of fact I believe they have learn how to handle large crowds actually better than many other cruise lined. The only people truly complaining about the number of passengers and the size is really only those that have not cruise on the Allure and the Oasis.

We've seen some of those great many Oasis guests standing in pouring rain in long lines trying to board and it taking a VERY long time for them to get back aboard. Maybe they were 'having a bad' day moving all those people along but it was not a 'shining hour' for them and we were very happy we were returning to the lovely Maasdam and just about hopped right up the gangway. :D

Of course, I understand it could have been a computer malfunction, an inconvenient unusual, not customary issue that arose but nevertheless, it was a miserable circumstance for those trying to get on the ship. :eek:

Pretty soon with ships this large you will be able to stay on board and get mugged, instead of taking your chances in the Caribbean ports themselves. :mad:

Ports at this point should be irrelevant. Transporting sun-worshipers should be the only name of this game.

We've seen some of those great many Oasis guests standing in pouring rain in long lines trying to board and it taking a VERY long time for them to get back aboard. Maybe they were 'having a bad' day moving all those people along but it was not a 'shining hour' for them and we were very happy we were returning to the lovely Maasdam and just about hopped right up the gangway. :D

Of course, I understand it could have been a computer malfunction, an inconvenient unusual, not customary issue that arose but nevertheless, it was a miserable circumstance for those trying to get on the ship. :eek:

We had those same condition during our cruise on the Noordam in several ports, thankfully minus the rain. Messina was the worst port. The clock in the main square did it's thing at noon and everyone wanted to see this. Unfortunately, we had to be back on the ship by 1 PM so the lines were horrendous! The crew told us it was that way every time they stopped there. Naples was another port where the lines stretched way beyond the end of the ship. And don't even get me started on Santorini!:eek:

While Philipsburg's own population is low they can more than handle 4 huge ships. They actually welcome the tourism and in my opinion do a very good job. I have been there with the Allure and two other ships beside the one I was on and the only place that was a bit crowded was the beach area but I have found other ports to feel far more crowded.

<snip>.

I agree. They do a great job!

We had those same condition during our cruise on the Noordam in several ports, thankfully minus the rain. Messina was the worst port. The clock in the main square did it's thing at noon and everyone wanted to see this. Unfortunately, we had to be back on the ship by 1 PM so the lines were horrendous! The crew told us it was that way every time they stopped there. Naples was another port where the lines stretched way beyond the end of the ship. And don't even get me started on Santorini!:eek:

I can't imagine how the santorini cable car line would be with a mega ship leaving soon LOL. When I was there 2 different occasions on regular sized ships the line to get down in Fira was probably an hour long.

I can't imagine how the santorini cable car line would be with a mega ship leaving soon LOL. When I was there 2 different occasions on regular sized ships the line to get down in Fira was probably an hour long.

Unfortunately, there were 4 ships other ships there during our visit. It was chaos! We ended up taking a boat to Oia rather than waiting for the cable cars. But it had been almost 2 hours from the time we left our cabin until the we arrived on the island. We did have a great day but it was our worst tendering experience to date. But it was a learning experience.:)

Awe that is not to bad, we were in Grand Caymen when there were 11 ships in many years ago, now that was a zoo.

That's nuts! I think we had 7 on my last cruise. I didn't get off the ship. I wish they would go elsewhere because it's always busy there.

Hard to see why that matters. I am not terribly mobile, but have never had trouble walking down to the dock. (Walking up to the town would be quite another matter, but down is very easy.)

Awe that is not to bad, we were in Grand Caymen when there were 11 ships in many years ago, now that was a zoo.

That's nuts! I think we had 7 on my last cruise. I didn't get off the ship. I wish they would go elsewhere because it's always busy there.

That's nothing! On our last cruise there were 20 ships....:eek:.Oops, sorry, I got carried away.

Never the less, the ship as a destination looks pretty good when there are that many ships in port.

That's nothing! On our last cruise there were 20 ships....:eek:.Oops, sorry, I got carried away.

Never the less, the ship as a destination looks pretty good when there are that many ships in port.

That's unreal! How could a person even move? If I never get to Grand Cayman again, I'm pretty ok with it.

I can't imagine 11 ships in the Grand Caymans at one time. I was there in November and there was only five ships in port and it was very crowded with just the five ships both down town and out on the tours. And none of the ships were the mega ships but it was still very busy in Georgetown.

Having just come off of the Allure of the Seas on Dec. 9th I can safely say (as a 53 year old single male and 48 cruises under my belt) she is the most amazing ship I have ever been on. Stunning in every conceivable aspect, excellent food and service, and considerably less congested and claustrophobic than the Princess ship I embarked on the day I disembarked Allure.

No, this class of ship is not for everyone, especially those who want to be cocooned in an environment of 'old world charm'. Some of the spaces on Allure of the Seas are astonishingly elegant and quite beautiful. Sure there are other spaces like the incredible Central Park that afford a quiet refuge in the evening to stroll through, the Royal Promenade that is the size of a football field, Boardwalk with more adults getting in line to ride the Carousel than kids, and the superb entertainment and shows in small intimate venues or the breathtaking Amber Theater.

This excellent quote from someone who understands why we have choices:

Well, only the cheerleaders seem to be married to cruise lines. I really like Princess. But that doesn't mean I can't enjoy the Allure or even consider Celebrity.

For us, every vacation stands on its own and we consider all options for every cruise and every vacation. After the Allure, we'll decide Celebrity vs Princess and specific ships for our Baltics cruise.

For those who have never sailed on Allure of the Seas yet make it a point every time that name comes up to take the opportunity to bash it, it's the same as someone who has never cruised HAL equating the cruise line to a nursing home and not wanting to cruise with a geriatric crowd.

If you don't know from having actually experienced it, don't comment on it. You're only speculating. Just like I'm sure the next time I cruise Holland-America I'll be dodging wheelchairs and walkers.

As for Saint Martin, when I was there on Ruby Princess earlier this month there were just three ships in port and even then it felt crowded. The streets of Philipsburg were packed. So unless you're the only ship docked there expect crowds.

And out of the three ports we visited getting back on the Allure was never an issue like described by another poster. With two gangways and multiple security lines and scanners there was never a line.

Pretty soon with ships this large you will be able to stay on board and get mugged, instead of taking your chances in the Caribbean ports themselves. :mad:

Ports at this point should be irrelevant. Transporting sun-worshipers should be the only name of this game.

That was funny!:D

At least in St. Maarten you have the ferry across the harbor to take the strain of the road into town.

St. Thomas could learn from that but apparently they are planning to widen the road around to Havensight for a considerable amount of dollars instead.

I heard that a few years ago someone wanted to set up a ferry service from the cruise docks to town but was strongly dissuaded by the taxi drivers.

We had dinner with friends on Saturday night that had just cruised on the Allure of the Seas the same week we were on Westerdam. They have also cruised on Westerdam previously, with me. They absolutely raved on and on about the Allure of the Seas. I asked them specifically about feeling crowded and waiting on line for things. They said the ship never felt crowded with the exception of a couple of the smaller lounge venues where live music was being performed, primarily the jazz bar. As far as lines, they said the wait in any line was never more than a few minutes. The only thing they did not care for was having to bother with making reservations for almost everything in advance. But, they reckoned that was the primary reason there were never any significant lines or waits for anything. Everyone is forced to plan ahead. They loved everything about the ship and are planning another cruise on it and are trying to convince us to join them. After hearing them describe the experience, we just might.

Maasdam will be part of a clogging flotilla of 4 ships in Philipsburg, St Maarten on April 4 with a combined passenger count of 11,000 SOB crew not included.

The Allure will be one of the uber ships causing rush hour type crowds in a tiny town boasting only 1,400 residents.

Those passengers disembarking for shore excursions will feel overwhelmed for sure!!

A thread on the Carnival forum quotes an article that 2 new megaships the size of the Allure are on the way in 2015 and 2016.

Cruising the limited ports of the Caribbean will soon resemble a gridlock of tour buses and taxi cabs clogging the already busy small islands.

Bobpell

PS...we will be relaxing on the aft Lido deck watching the mayhem sipping a cool glass of wine...sigh

We are also on Maasdam going there but on 4/22 sailing, this is such a great port with great beaches just a very short and cheap taxi ride away, this port is one of the main reasons we booked the cruise. Love that the ship is scheduled to be there from 8am to 11pm at least on our sailing. Also only place to buy Cherry Marnier.

A classic selection effect. People who book a cruise on the megaships are typically of the mindset that "bigger is better" and thus they will tend to enjoy the experience. Those of us who think otherwise would never book on the megaships. Thus the statistical illusion that we would like it if we tried it.

No thanks. The Vista-class Lido buffet crunch is enough for me.

igraf

...The only people truly complaining about the number of passengers and the size is really only those that have not cruise on the Allure and the Oasis.

Bobpell

The last time I was in St. Maarten five or six ships in there including the Allure. I was on the Nieuw Amsterdam. Phillipsburg is used to lots of people, during cruise ship season. It helps the local economy!

Archived