No New Routes for NCL

Agreed Don - tendering to many Aussie ports would be a negative but maybe a NCL Sun (smaller) ship would fit and get under the bridges. But interesting to hear these issues with expansion in Australia (which may explain NCL's decision not to go to Australia).

As for the Faroe Island question, that Island is the second most beautiful island of it's size (behind Hawaii) but a stark beauty. We had an aft balcony and were pleased to have the views. The ship's captain took us between two of the main islands (off Vestmanna) for stunning views. This was after taking a small boat trip from Vestmanna to see bird cliffs and rock formations. The puffins will not be nesting there in September but other birds can be seen. Got a private tour on a fishing boat and took public transit from the port to Vestmanna where we met the fishing boat. Inexpensive and fun - NCL had a similar excursion on a bigger boat, as well.

Lastly, a good suggestion from BlueSea777 on FRAM for Anarctica - my wife has been tracking their prices for awhile - one of the few options for that destinations but went "close" on our South American trip. As for Israel, we'll likely take a land-based trip there. Too many things to see on a port call. We were going to go to Egypt on our April 2011 trip to the Med but that country was closed down for tourists right before our trip (but Istanbul was a very acceptable and fun alternative).

Thanks everyone for the information, suggestions and explanations.

Fair Winds and Following Seas, Russ

What frustrates me the most is that those who use New York City as a home port continue to complain about itineraries when they have three cruise terminals to choose from. Only Miami has more cruise ships to choose from out of all of the cities in the world. Miami is home corporate office base for every American cruise line which is considerably closer to every Caribbean ports of call. Not New York City.

We'd like NCL to have more options & year round service out of Boston. Bermuda and Canada are fine, but I'd love to see an option which cruises to Norfolk, Va, Savannah, Ga., with a port of call at Bermuda or the the Bahamas for the foreign port.

Not sure why anybody would want to cruise to Norfolk, Va, but then again, I live here. However, living here, I'd love for NCL to use them as an embarkation point. We have a lovely cruise terminal that's way under utilized.

I would also like to see a shore excursion in St. Martin which takes you to Maho Beach. I'd love to see the planes coming in over my head.

It is easy to get to Maho Beach from the cruise port. You can take a taxi or city bus to Maho Beach. It is a great place to spend the day and Sunset Bar is right there to provide you with plenty of food and drink.

Not sure why anybody would want to cruise to Norfolk, Va, but then again, I live here. However, living here, I'd love for NCL to use them as an embarkation point. We have a lovely cruise terminal that's way under utilized.

I'd love to see Norfolk as a departure port, too. Even Baltimore would be a nice option. However I'm more interested in port variety. I'm surprised that Epic and Getaway will be doing such "ho hum" itineraries. I'd love some additional southern Caribbean options as others have mentioned and someday hope to take on some of the more adventurous itineraries - may be by the time I have enough vacation days to swing it, NCL will offer it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Talk about new routes, I had to laugh today when I checked our 1/12/13 Epic sailing on a large cruise only agency website (just being curious) - and hmm, they show our itinerary as:

01/12 Miami (Depart 04:00 PM)

01/13 Aspen

01/14 Aspen

01/15 Pinheiro (Arrive 08:00 AM)

01/15 Pinheiro (Depart 06:00 PM)

01/16 St Thomas (Arrive 08:00 AM)

01/16 St Thomas (Depart 04:00 PM)

01/17 Aspen

01/18 Nassau (Arrive 12:00 PM)

01/18 Nassau (Depart 07:00 PM)

01/19 Miami

*This was cut and pasted directly from their site

Aspen and Pinherio? Well I guess the Rockies and Brazil will surely be some place new to cruise to LOL ;)

I'll have to pass it along to my PCC so he can get a laugh too.

Thanks for the laugh!!

We are delighted that NCL was the first cruise line to offer freestyle and sail year round out of New York (we hate flying). We sail NCL annually for our winter getaway. They offer us 12, 9 & 7 day cruises on two ships of different sizes (Breakaway & Gem or Jewel) to the Caribbean or Florida and the Bahamas. That's enough variety for us. As long as they keep giving us those wonderful Platinum perks (better than any other cruise line), we will keep coming back to NCL.

Yes but they need to put more 12 day cruises in the mix to the caribbean. I like you like to sail out of NY and do not like to fly but really want those longer cruises.

We'd like NCL to have more options & year round service out of Boston. Bermuda and Canada are fine, but I'd love to see an option which cruises to Norfolk, Va, Savannah, Ga., with a port of call at Bermuda or the the Bahamas for the foreign port.

Yes, it might take 10 or 12 days, but that's ok.

I would also like to see a shore excursion in St. Martin which takes you to Maho Beach. I'd love to see the planes coming in over my head.

me to:)

Last fall, we cruised on the Dawn from Quebec City all the way down the east US coast ending in Tampa. It was a wonderful cruise! Why does NCL have nearly half their ships going to the western Caribbean, when there are so many other places to go?? The Star, the Dawn, the Jewel, the Pearl, the Epic, and the Sun all go to the western Caribbean. Not one of them even go to Key West either. I love NCL, but I don't want to go to Mexico any more.

I too wonder why so many do the western Carribean. We are doing it again,next week, but at least we will stop in Jamaica and Grand Cayman; neither are at the top of our list, but better than the same ole, same ole. I really don't know where they could sail, leaving from the USA, but I wish they would think of something...What other places are you thinking they could do? I notice some are suggesting more ports in Europe and out of Australia.. I am thinking more from America; some of us can't or don't want to fly over the pond to cruise: I see suggestions of Tobago, that would be great, yes the Turks, and a route along the eastern seaboard and i don't mean just a stop or two from NYC to Miami. Yes, Baltimore, Savannah, how about Charleston? Add one or more 10 or 12 day cruises for those of us who have the time...

Agreed Don - tendering to many Aussie ports would be a negative but maybe a NCL Sun (smaller) ship would fit and get under the bridges. But interesting to hear these issues with expansion in Australia (which may explain NCL's decision not to go to Australia).

As for the Faroe Island question, that Island is the second most beautiful island of it's size (behind Hawaii) but a stark beauty. We had an aft balcony and were pleased to have the views. The ship's captain took us between two of the main islands (off Vestmanna) for stunning views. This was after taking a small boat trip from Vestmanna to see bird cliffs and rock formations. The puffins will not be nesting there in September but other birds can be seen. Got a private tour on a fishing boat and took public transit from the port to Vestmanna where we met the fishing boat. Inexpensive and fun - NCL had a similar excursion on a bigger boat, as well.

Lastly, a good suggestion from BlueSea777 on FRAM for Anarctica - my wife has been tracking their prices for awhile - one of the few options for that destinations but went "close" on our South American trip. As for Israel, we'll likely take a land-based trip there. Too many things to see on a port call. We were going to go to Egypt on our April 2011 trip to the Med but that country was closed down for tourists right before our trip (but Istanbul was a very acceptable and fun alternative).

Thanks everyone for the information, suggestions and explanations.

Pleased to read your positive review of the Faroe Islands cruise. We've got that one booked for this September. Your comments have boosted my enthusiasm!

Pleased to read your positive review of the Faroe Islands cruise. We've got that one booked for this September. Your comments have boosted my enthusiasm!

I checked your list of ports - Bergen (fjord boat ride arranged privately on the docks) and Alesund (Trolls Path) as well as Faroe Islands (Vestmanna cliffs) were stunning. Iceland was also unique but expected it to be fantastic. We enjoyed Copenhagen (historic) so allow 3-days - great embarkation port.

Be excited as this cruise has one of the more exciting NCL routes. Only downside is that every Scandinavian country uses different currencies (and the US$ keeps getting weaker). A club sandwich, a Danish sandwich combo, one 8-oz beer and tap water costs us $72. Beer is $1 per ounce so drink on the ship to save $$. :-)

NCL does have great routes but we've run through most of them. We live in Florida so a beach cruise is no big deal (but snorkeling in the Southern Caribbean can't be beat).

NCL is a great cruise line and my wife and I have exclusively booked with NCL except for one HAL trip to Panama & Southern Caribbean. We love Freestyle cruising and their overall product and recently achieved Platinum Latitude status. Sadly, we may not be able to continue with NCL after reviewing their late 2013 and 2014 destinations. We have cruised to ports all over the Med; South America; Northern Europe (Iceland, Norway); East & West Caribbean; and, we will be going to Alaska in May 2013.

I'd like to see a few Asian or Australian/NZ cruises offered by NCL and heard some rumors of NCL was considering expanding to these locales. I'd also like to return on a cruise to South America but NCL pulled out of that route in the Spring 2010.

We're pleased to recommend NCL for new cruisers but what can NCL do for their Latitudes Platinum cruisers - any exciting new routes planned for 2015? Or do I start looking to competitors? Sad.

I heard (last week) that when the three new ships arrive some of the smaller and older ships might be heading East to Asia and Australia.

I checked your list of ports - Bergen (fjord boat ride arranged privately on the docks) and Alesund (Trolls Path) as well as Faroe Islands (Vestmanna cliffs) were stunning. Iceland was also unique but expected it to be fantastic. We enjoyed Copenhagen (historic) so allow 3-days - great embarkation port.

Be excited as this cruise has one of the more exciting NCL routes. Only downside is that every Scandinavian country uses different currencies (and the US$ keeps getting weaker). A club sandwich, a Danish sandwich combo, one 8-oz beer and tap water costs us $72. Beer is $1 per ounce so drink on the ship to save $$. :-)

NCL does have great routes but we've run through most of them. We live in Florida so a beach cruise is no big deal (but snorkeling in the Southern Caribbean can't be beat).

Thanks for the great info! ($72!...Yikes!)

I heard (last week) that when the three new ships arrive some of the smaller and older ships might be heading East to Asia and Australia.

Thanks for the info. Seems like new ships are being sent to new, smaller embarkation ports versus used to go to new destinations. While new ships are great, I hope they keep enough to expand destinations. I like the smaller ships - NCL Pearl size or smaller - more of a destination-oriented cruiser but some day I'll have to sail on the Epic. :-)

I would LOVE NCL doing the Southern Caribbean route that others do. I love the 3 Sea Days, and I love Aruba and Curacao.

I also wish they would go to Turks and Caicos more often.

Getting back on topic, what destinations do NCL loving cruisers would like to see?

I say Australia/NZ, S. America and Asia. I've noted a lot for Southern Carib, Turks & C, and stops in Norfolk and Savannah. Any others?

Getting back on topic, what destinations do NCL loving cruisers would like to see?

I say Australia/NZ, S. America and Asia. I've noted a lot for Southern Carib, Turks & C, and stops in Norfolk and Savannah. Any others?

British Isles

We also love NCL and up until now have only cruised with NCL. But we have grown bored with their itineraries. We have traveled all over Europe the Caribbean and Central America. We have also been to both Alaska and Hawaii. We have a trip to Australia booked with Royal Caribbean in Feburary. If the trip goes well then we may be switching most of our business over to Royal Caribbean as they offer much more exotic sailings.

We also love NCL and up until now have only cruised with NCL. But we have grown bored with their itineraries. We have traveled all over Europe the Caribbean and Central America. We have also been to both Alaska and Hawaii. We have a trip to Australia booked with Royal Caribbean in Feburary. If the trip goes well then we may be switching most of our business over to Royal Caribbean as they offer much more exotic sailings.

After my Alaskan trip in 2013, I'll be in your "boat" (pun intended). I've sailed once with HAL (Panama and South Caribbean) but we did not like their product. I've good things about Royal Caribbean and Princess so maybe I'll eventually have to leave NCL like you. Sad.

British Isles

I second this one! We have done Venice to the Greek Isles, twice the Barcelona to Italy routes and I would love a British Isles itinerary.

NCL.. I hope up you are reading these boards. Your Platinimun members are speaking.. ;)

I also agree that the Western Carribean is the least favorable. I could do the Eastern every year and it is not a good thing that they have so limited ships in 2014 doing that route.

I second this one! We have done Venice to the Greek Isles, twice the Barcelona to Italy routes and I would love a British Isles itinerary.

NCL.. I hope up you are reading these boards. Your Platinimun members are speaking.. ;)

I also agree that the Western Carribean is the least favorable. I could do the Eastern every year and it is not a good thing that they have so limited ships in 2014 doing that route.

Does NCL monitor social media boards like cruise critic? I'd love to get their input - will NCL offer new, exciting routes for loyal Platinum (and Gold) members?

That's interesting news, but I'm curious, just who did you "hear" this from last week? You must have access to NCL's inner workings to obtain information of that magnitude. If you "hear" any more info, please pass it along.

Archived