No New Routes for NCL

We were also told at our last CC meeting 2 weeks ago that if we have complaints or concerns, it's best to let them know otherwise things can't and won't change. They did let us know that they had to get A LOT of complaints in order for them to even pay attention to it. :cool:

I am facing the same dilemma (maybe having to pick another cruise line) but for a different reason. We like sailing the Caribbean and really don't have a desire to do any of the other sailings (other than Bermuda or maybe Alaska) and since they decided to pull out of the Caribbean during the "Summer" months (which I use this term lightly because they stop sailing in APRIL I think it is, which isn't even summer) then it really limits our time for sailing the Caribbean. I know I've heard that they did this because there wasn't a big demand for the Caribbean in the hot summer months...then why do the other cruise lines continue to sail there then if there's not a big demand? What about all of the people that can only go in the summer time when their kids are out of school? What about the teachers? It just doesn't make much sense to me. Then with the Getaway, they are bringing it to do the Caribbean full time when it's built. Um, didn't they just say there was a decline in Caribbean bookings during the summer months but yet you are going to put your brand new multi-million dollar ship there? It just makes no sense. I have been loyal to NCL and I continue to "try" to find cruises during my very limited schedule between work and school, but it is getting hard...really hard. I have been struggling with what to do this year and my ONLY option at this point (when I am out of school) is Bermuda (which I want to go, but don't like "when" I have to go). :(

I have always wanted to sail on the Oasis or Allure...I may have to switch to RC at some point if things don't change.

You'd like RC

Very similar feel to NCL

My DW and I went to Morocco on a ferry from Algeciras, Spain to Tangiers. It was a one-day whirlwind excursion but apparently enough time for the obligatory rug and trinket hard sell along the way. This mini-trip was during our honeymoon but I suspect Tangiers hasn't changed (despite the many years). We departed from Ceuta due to rough seas.

If you want a positive, historic Muslim city to visit, Istanbul is a jewel. My humble opinion.

We've been to Istanbul, love it - that's another option too, if flights to Spain are too high for the Canary Island cruise. Turkish Air will run some fantastic deals from time to time, so was also thinking a Istanbul, Dubai land trip. Actually for the Canary Islands to work, an excursion to Marrakesh would have to be doable - otherwise not interested.

British Isles, Tahiti, and Fiji all sound great. For those that travel to see and experience new places, once you reach Platinum status on NCL, you really notice the limited itineraries.

I would also like to see something from the west coast to Hawaii. 4 or 5 sea days but then spend eight days at the islands. Fly home from there. They could also offer eight days on the islands to start the cruise and then at sea days back to California, Canada, or Ensenada Mexico.

We agree that the NCL itineraries are quite old and boring at this point. I feel that the company is limiting itself with the new ships because of the size of the vessel, the ports the vessel can visit are limited to the same old ports almost every single time. I don't really think it is possible to use a tender port when the ship has 4200 + passengers, so many of the smaller nicer destinations are automatically excluded. Where is NCL going to put the other two Breakaway+ ships? How often will you end up in port with another mega-ship like Oasis and Allure of the Seas or one of their upcoming sisters? How many times do you really want to go to Nassau, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Costa Maya, Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel?

We cruised the Epic and really did not like the ship and have no plans to cruise her again. We never found a nice quiet place to sit and enjoy a beverage and conversation. Every where was loud and congested. We are booked on the Breakaway's transatlantic voyage and are hopeful that many of the Epic's short comings have been resolved. Overall though, from our experience with the Epic, we much prefer the Jewel class as far as size and number of passengers.

We have one future cruise credit outstanding, and at this point have no inclination to purchase an additional one unless we see some changes. We have enjoyed our experiences on Celebrity, and at this point have no qualms about giving lines we haven't experienced a try.

I don't find it necessary to limit myself to just one cruise line. I enjoy the variety all of the major cruise lines offer.

There is a lot to see and experience out there, go for it.

I agree. I have tried a few different cruiselines. I liked all of them actually. I reached platinum level on RCCL and haven't cruised them since. Not because I am unhappy, I just like trying the others too. I think I will be on a NCL roll now. Especially when the Breakaway becomes a little more affordable.

I love cruiseships and cruising.

We agree that the NCL itineraries are quite old and boring at this point. I feel that the company is limiting itself with the new ships because of the size of the vessel, the ports the vessel can visit are limited to the same old ports almost every single time. I don't really think it is possible to use a tender port when the ship has 4200 + passengers, so many of the smaller nicer destinations are automatically excluded. Where is NCL going to put the other two Breakaway+ ships? How often will you end up in port with another mega-ship like Oasis and Allure of the Seas or one of their upcoming sisters? How many times do you really want to go to Nassau, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Costa Maya, Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel?

We cruised the Epic and really did not like the ship and have no plans to cruise her again. We never found a nice quiet place to sit and enjoy a beverage and conversation. .... Overall though, from our experience with the Epic, we much prefer the Jewel class as far as size....

Completely agree - old itineraries - large ships that don't fit in many ports - no quiet place to relax (like the Spinnakers) - love the Jewel class (big enough for good shows but small enough to go anywhere). Panamax-sized cruise ships rock!!!

As regards 2015 (boring) Caribbean itineraries, I just sent this email to Mr. Sheehan. I was advised by a NCL rep that they pay attention to these emails (and to include your Latitudes number).

Dear Mr. Sheehan:

Firstly, let me say we are very loyal NCL customers. We've tried almost all of the other major lines, and have concluded that NCL is the best one for us. We sail at least once a year, sometimes twice, always to the Caribbean (or Bermuda). But looking ahead to 2015, I'm not sure we'll be able to sail NCL, a decision we'll make with difficulty. The fact that all your ships, but one (Getaway) will be sailing to the Western Caribbean for 7-day cruises, to the same ports they've been sailing to for years, is what makes this a difficult decision (because of school vacations, we're usually confined to 7-day cruises). Regarding Getaway, we're not huge fans of enormous ships to begin with, and we certainly don't need a cruise with the most-visited (and touristy) islands of the E. Caribbean on the itinerary (St. Thomas, St. Maarten and Nassau). So, unless things change, I'm afraid we'll be looking elsewhere in 2015. As I said, this is not an easy decision to make. We love NCL. Hopefully there will be a change that will perhaps include some less-visited islands of the E. Caribbean (St. Kitts and Tortola, for ex.) for 7-day cruises.

Take care and thank you for all the wonderful cruises we've had--

Follow up to my letter: 2 days ago I got a call from "the executive offices" of NCL. They said they were responding to my email, and they said they take all comment such as mine as advisement. (I'm just repeating). Upshot of it was: the spokesperson for NCL said that the itineraries for 2015 could change. But obviously there's no guarantee of that and meantime I'm looking out for Celebrity's 2015 itineraries which could come out in March. But I think the more people voice their concerns the better. Sheehan's email: ksheehan@ncl.com

Follow up to my letter: 2 days ago I got a call from "the executive offices" of NCL. They said they were responding to my email, and they said they take all comment such as mine as advisement. (I'm just repeating). Upshot of it was: the spokesperson for NCL said that the itineraries for 2015 could change. But obviously there's no guarantee of that and meantime I'm looking out for Celebrity's 2015 itineraries which could come out in March. But I think the more people voice their concerns the better. Sheehan's email: ksheehan@ncl.com

Thank you for following up with this detailed response. Glad NCL responded to your (our) concerns about limited new routes

• 2 weeks later...
NCL owns or is owned by Star Cruises based in Asia. Many older ships from NCL fleet are transfered and upgraded to Star lines. They cover all of Asia and Australia I believe including Shanghai soon I think I read. NCL needs to urge their affiliation and this fact so people can book asia and feel comfortable with the product.
I doubt that Star will want to cross-sell its cruises to NCL customers, who would be unlikely to like the product offered by Star. You just need to look at the answers to two questions:-
  1. What is the typical length of cruise on Star?
  2. Why?

I doubt that Star will want to cross-sell its cruises to NCL customers, who would be unlikely to like the product offered by Star. You just need to look at the answers to two questions:-

1. What is the typical length of cruise on Star?
  2. Why?

I took a quick peek on the Star site and most cruises are 1-2 days. Could you elaborate as to why?

I just booked the Gem Canada/New England for September last night through a NCL rep and we had this discussion. Because of the limited NCL itineraries we have booked with other cruise lines for the past 3 or 4 years. He didn't have anything specific to tell me but did say he had heard they may add Sicily to some Mediterranean itineraries and there was a possibility of South America returning. He said it was discontinued because of the rough crossing, I guess I can see that but it is offered by other lines so it doesn't seem totally plausible that would be the only reason.

I have enjoyed reading everyone's wish lists - they are all very similar to ours. It would be wonderful to visit new Caribbean ports, enjoy a British Isles cruise, and I would love to do a South American cruise! We will have to check out Norway, it is on our list but this year we have 2 land tours instead of cruises - Holland and Belgium this spring and China this fall. Maybe next year! We are very much looking forward to returning to NCL as this will be our first cruise as platinum members.

Archived