No New Routes for NCL

We would also like to see some new itineraries out of NCL. Asia, Norway with more ports, Australia, some new islands in Caribbean - anything.

Interesting to note - the Holylands looks like it's been nixed for next winter season. Being replaced with a winter Western Med. Actually it looks like they thought outside the box on the ports though. Only one day at sea, for those that love to shake rattle and roll when in Europe. Sardinia, Tunisia, Valencia, Palermo, Monte Carlo - some new stuff with the old stuff, Rome, Naples, Livorno, Toulon. It was such an interesting western med itinerary (we've done two already and countless land trips) that it had me looking to see if it will fit in my work schedule. But, alas, it wouldn't.

Your tastes and interests mirror ours (history, culture, views). I'd highly recommend the Copenhagen, Norway, Iceland route. Excellent views and while you'll need a coat in Iceland (or layers of cotton shirt, sweatshirt and waterproof jacket), we didn't find the Temperatures too bad (about mid 40F or 10C in Iceland with all other locations being warmer).

And yes, my work schedule interferes as well. But we've mapped all the "cool" places to visit in the world and systematically seeing each continent & country (returning to the really great one like Norway).

I liked the Med (likely more than my wife). We did a combination Western to Eastern Med trip and it was both stunning & exhausting. Typically, I research each port's history, culture and special attributes a few months in advance. It was overwhelming to research before a cruise to Barcelona, Monaco (& medieval towns nearby), Italian ports (centuries to research), Istanbul, Athens, Olympia, Ephesus and Venice - and I started the research a year before the cruise.

Fair Winds & Following Seas, Russ

Saw your bucket list had Egypt and Israel.

DH and I did the Jade Holylands this past November. It now looks like that our cruise will end up being the last visit to Israel and Egypt for a while on NCL, since they changed the 11 day itinerary to Western Med. Think the 10 day's Egypt stops were switched out for Istanbul for 2013/2014 also. It's a shame to lose the Holyland itinerary and it will be interesting to see how NCL does with a western Med in Winter - the tender into Monaco will be an adventure in the rough winter Med. That said the itinerary they came up with was interesting (Sardinia, Valencia and Palermo would be something new for us) - I have always wanted to do a European Christmas Markets river cruise. Could achieve almost the same thing with the December Jade sailing at 1/3 to 1/2 the price per day.

Saw your bucket list had Egypt and Israel.

DH and I did the Jade Holylands this past November. It now looks like that our cruise will end up being the last visit to Israel and Egypt for a while on NCL, since they changed the 11 day itinerary to Western Med. Think the 10 day's Egypt stops were switched out for Istanbul for 2013/2014 also. It's a shame to lose the Holyland itinerary and it will be interesting to see how NCL does with a western Med in Winter - the tender into Monaco will be an adventure in the rough winter Med. That said the itinerary they came up with was interesting (Sardinia, Valencia and Palermo would be something new for us) - I have always wanted to do a European Christmas Markets river cruise. Could achieve almost the same thing with the December Jade sailing at 1/3 to 1/2 the price per day.

The western Med with Sardinia, Valencia, and Palermo sound great - it might be a reason to return to the Med (along with another visit to Barcelona). But we're you able to see enough of Israel's key sites with just a port call? I'll look into the December Jade sailing as you suggested (but not concerned with rough weather at sea - we're used to it).

The western Med with Sardinia, Valencia, and Palermo sound great - it might be a reason to return to the Med (along with another visit to Barcelona). But we're you able to see enough of Israel's key sites with just a port call? I'll look into the December Jade sailing as you suggested (but not concerned with rough weather at sea - we're used to it).

Knew that with two days, if we did tours it would just be drive-bys. So we did our own thing and spent all our time in Jerusalem (got a hotel room). We wanted to experience it through our own eyes, rather that being led around by a tour guide. And with the rockets flying into Israel at the time, it was an interesting experience. Tell you the truth this is the one itinerary that we've done that we said we could do the exact same thing all over. Would have concentrated on Akko and Galilee on a return trip. Too bad we won't have that option on NCL in the future.

I've checked out Christmas markets in towns near to ports for the Jade's new winter 11 day itinerary. Nice has one. Valencia, Barcelona, Lucca and Florence have them. Know Rome has one - saw it being set up this year in Piazza Navona. Would have to check to see if they are going during the day - the pictures I have seen of the markets are all at night. And, probably not as big as the German markets, but could still make of fun trip with a different view of cities that we've done a couple times. If you love European ports - check out that itinerary, it really is something new! You'd need a vacation after the vacation, though, unless you kept it short in the places you've been. We've been to Barcelona 3 times and still haven't made to Montserrat. I keep thinking about that itinerary since it came out a few days ago - even though it is really difficult to take that much time off in December. Will have to mull it over for a couple months.

That's interesting news, but I'm curious, just who did you "hear" this from last week? You must have access to NCL's inner workings to obtain information of that magnitude. If you "hear" any more info, please pass it along.

I heard it [from a crew member] on board the Spirit.

I think at the moment it's nothing more than hearsay to be honest.

We would also like to see some new itineraries out of NCL. Asia, Norway with more ports, Australia, some new islands in Caribbean - anything.

Interesting to note - the Holylands looks like it's been nixed for next winter season. Being replaced with a winter Western Med. Actually it looks like they thought outside the box on the ports though. Only one day at sea, for those that love to shake rattle and roll when in Europe. Sardinia, Tunisia, Valencia, Palermo, Monte Carlo - some new stuff with the old stuff, Rome, Naples, Livorno, Toulon. It was such an interesting western med itinerary (we've done two already and countless land trips) that it had me looking to see if it will fit in my work schedule. But, alas, it wouldn't.

NCL owns or is owned by Star Cruises based in Asia. Many older ships from NCL fleet are transfered and upgraded to Star lines. They cover all of Asia and Australia I believe including Shanghai soon I think I read. NCL needs to urge their affiliation and this fact so people can book asia and feel comfortable with the product.

Knew that with two days, if we did tours it would just be drive-bys. So we did our own thing and spent all our time in Jerusalem (got a hotel room). We wanted to experience it through our own eyes, rather that being led around by a tour guide. And with the rockets flying into Israel at the time, it was an interesting experience. Tell you the truth this is the one itinerary that we've done that we said we could do the exact same thing all over. Would have concentrated on Akko and Galilee on a return trip. Too bad we won't have that option on NCL in the future.

I've checked out Christmas markets in towns near to ports for the Jade's new winter 11 day itinerary. Nice has one. Valencia, Barcelona, Lucca and Florence have them. Know Rome has one - saw it being set up this year in Piazza Navona. Would have to check to see if they are going during the day - the pictures I have seen of the markets are all at night. And, probably not as big as the German markets, but could still make of fun trip with a different view of cities that we've done a couple times. If you love European ports - check out that itinerary, it really is something new! You'd need a vacation after the vacation, though, unless you kept it short in the places you've been. We've been to Barcelona 3 times and still haven't made to Montserrat. I keep thinking about that itinerary since it came out a few days ago - even though it is really difficult to take that much time off in December. Will have to mull it over for a couple months.

We'd like to spend more time in Greece but it was disconcerting dodging protests and worrying about port strikes. We hired a cab with another couple (firm & driver recommended by TripAdvisor) who knew the city and avoided problems. The cab also got us to the acropolis before the buses (our own private space). We spent 3-days in Barcelona and have more to explore, as well. So I guess the Med is still a viable cruise destination (but feel that flying to Israel and spending a week+ might make sense). My parents were there during the six-day war and thought it was thrilling (he's a WWII combat vet and she was an ER nurse) so a few rockets would be okay.

As regards 2015 (boring) Caribbean itineraries, I just sent this email to Mr. Sheehan. I was advised by a NCL rep that they pay attention to these emails (and to include your Latitudes number).

Dear Mr. Sheehan:

Firstly, let me say we are very loyal NCL customers. We've tried almost all of the other major lines, and have concluded that NCL is the best one for us. We sail at least once a year, sometimes twice, always to the Caribbean (or Bermuda). But looking ahead to 2015, I'm not sure we'll be able to sail NCL, a decision we'll make with difficulty. The fact that all your ships, but one (Getaway) will be sailing to the Western Caribbean for 7-day cruises, to the same ports they've been sailing to for years, is what makes this a difficult decision (because of school vacations, we're usually confined to 7-day cruises). Regarding Getaway, we're not huge fans of enormous ships to begin with, and we certainly don't need a cruise with the most-visited (and touristy) islands of the E. Caribbean on the itinerary (St. Thomas, St. Maarten and Nassau). So, unless things change, I'm afraid we'll be looking elsewhere in 2015. As I said, this is not an easy decision to make. We love NCL. Hopefully there will be a change that will perhaps include some less-visited islands of the E. Caribbean (St. Kitts and Tortola, for ex.) for 7-day cruises.

Take care and thank you for all the wonderful cruises we've had--

As regards 2015 (boring) Caribbean itineraries, I just sent this email to Mr. Sheehan. I was advised by a NCL rep that they pay attention to these emails (and to include your Latitudes number).

Dear Mr. Sheehan:

Firstly, let me say we are very loyal NCL customers. We've tried almost all of the other major lines, and have concluded that NCL is the best one for us. We sail at least once a year, sometimes twice, always to the Caribbean (or Bermuda). But looking ahead to 2015, I'm not sure we'll be able to sail NCL, a decision we'll make with difficulty. The fact that all your ships, but one (Getaway) will be sailing to the Western Caribbean for 7-day cruises, to the same ports they've been sailing to for years, is what makes this a difficult decision (because of school vacations, we're usually confined to 7-day cruises). Regarding Getaway, we're not huge fans of enormous ships to begin with, and we certainly don't need a cruise with the most-visited (and touristy) islands of the E. Caribbean on the itinerary (St. Thomas, St. Maarten and Nassau). So, unless things change, I'm afraid we'll be looking elsewhere in 2015. As I said, this is not an easy decision to make. We love NCL. Hopefully there will be a change that will perhaps include some less-visited islands of the E. Caribbean (St. Kitts and Tortola, for ex.) for 7-day cruises.

Take care and thank you for all the wonderful cruises we've had--

What a great letter which expressed (positively) the concerns of many in the Latitudes community. I haven't mentioned the NCL push for big ships but that does restrict the types of ports that the ships can use (big touristy ports) and/or increases the chance of tendering. I'll send my inputs (letter or website input) to Kevin and his team this week. Agree that it's sad to have to move away from NCL (dumb strategy to go after one-time or new cruisers but lose your loyal cruising base).

We're more destination-based cruisers versus the cruise ship as the destination (with trendy shows and added costs per person to pay for the $1.3 Billion dollar mega ships). So the Sun, Jade, Pearl or other Panamax-sized ship (medium size) is the type of ship we prefer. Entertainment we watched on the Jade (called "Elements") was high quality and fun as were the bands. I won't select a cruise based on entertainment but the shows can add to the overall cruise fun (my opinion - I'm sure others might feel differently).

I've never been to Malaga or the Canary Islands (so may more research is needed on my end too. :-)

Malaga is an awesome area of Spain. That's an older itinerary but you have a choice of ports to start (never done it, but looked at it). Start in Malaga, if you've seen Barcelona - that area needs more than just a day. I've always nixed that itinerary because we're almost retired and plan on doing some TA's when we finally get there and thought I could knock off the Canary's at that time. But, I might have to give those cruises a second look......the work calendar is horrid for November and December this year (I do accounting and payroll and the payweeks, monthends and holidays are making scheduling a cruise a nightmare). That particular cruise is shorter so it would be more flexible where the extra days are added (beginning or end or combo). Oh goody, perhaps something will work!!

If you stop in Malaga, you want to go to Granada to see the Alhambra.

+1... You will need a day to see the Alhambra, it's absolutely amazing.

We were lamenting to the cruise consultant on the Jewel last week that we would not be buying a cruise credit because there was nothing in the 2015 horizon that was interesting. She didn't seem surprised, but she also said that corporate was keeping back some itineraries for 2015 and beyond because of Breakaway and Getaway.

I hope there's a reason for us to buy one on our 2014 cruise...

This thread proves you can't please everyone. :p I'll take the Western Caribbean over the Eastern Caribbean any time. To me, most of the Eastern Caribbean ports are too similar. Plus, there are a few that I wouldn't even get off the ship at again. We do like the Southern Caribbean.

Actually, I have forwarded my concerns about "no new NCL routes" in a constructive way to officers and cruise consultants onboard ship. We even had a lively (and polite) discussion about this during the Latitudes party onboard the NCL Dawn and the NCL Sun (last 2 cruises in 2012). The ship's officers told us to contact the Miami corporate offices to make our wishes known (since they said "they'll listen to you (Latitude Members) more than they listen to us (ship's officers)").

Just thought a positive push on CC would help (since we seem happy with NCL but are being forced to consider other cruise lines to get the routes beyond the standard routes). NCL, are you listening - don't force us to leave!

Russ

We were also told at our last CC meeting 2 weeks ago that if we have complaints or concerns, it's best to let them know otherwise things can't and won't change. They did let us know that they had to get A LOT of complaints in order for them to even pay attention to it. :cool:

I am facing the same dilemma (maybe having to pick another cruise line) but for a different reason. We like sailing the Caribbean and really don't have a desire to do any of the other sailings (other than Bermuda or maybe Alaska) and since they decided to pull out of the Caribbean during the "Summer" months (which I use this term lightly because they stop sailing in APRIL I think it is, which isn't even summer) then it really limits our time for sailing the Caribbean. I know I've heard that they did this because there wasn't a big demand for the Caribbean in the hot summer months...then why do the other cruise lines continue to sail there then if there's not a big demand? What about all of the people that can only go in the summer time when their kids are out of school? What about the teachers? It just doesn't make much sense to me. Then with the Getaway, they are bringing it to do the Caribbean full time when it's built. Um, didn't they just say there was a decline in Caribbean bookings during the summer months but yet you are going to put your brand new multi-million dollar ship there? It just makes no sense. I have been loyal to NCL and I continue to "try" to find cruises during my very limited schedule between work and school, but it is getting hard...really hard. I have been struggling with what to do this year and my ONLY option at this point (when I am out of school) is Bermuda (which I want to go, but don't like "when" I have to go). :(

I have always wanted to sail on the Oasis or Allure...I may have to switch to RC at some point if things don't change.

+1... You will need a day to see the Alhambra' date=' it's absolutely amazing.

We were lamenting to the cruise consultant on the Jewel last week that we would not be buying a cruise credit because there was nothing in the 2015 horizon that was interesting. She didn't seem surprised, but she also said that corporate was keeping back some itineraries for 2015 and beyond because of Breakaway and Getaway.

I hope there's a reason for us to buy one on our 2014 cruise...[/quote']

Alhambra sounds interesting - did some research and it definitely worth a visit.

Giving feedback to a corporation can be frustrating - you wonder if the input is penetrating. But having Latitudes folks say "No" to future cruise credits due to lack of interesting or new itineraries will definitely get a firm's attention. Dropping future cruise credits revenues might shake things up.

NCL owns or is owned by Star Cruises based in Asia. Many older ships from NCL fleet are transfered and upgraded to Star lines. They cover all of Asia and Australia I believe including Shanghai soon I think I read. NCL needs to urge their affiliation and this fact so people can book asia and feel comfortable with the product.

I agree...I would be much more comfortable is they were NCL cruises because I am familiar with NCL, not Star.

While we are new to cruising and have a lot to choose from, we want to go to South America! When we are ready for that trip we might have to choose RCL or Celebrity if NCL doesn't have a route that includes Brazil and Argentina at that time. Hopefully in the next few years. I'd rather stay with NCL.

I agree...I would be much more comfortable is they were NCL cruises because I am familiar with NCL, not Star.

While we are new to cruising and have a lot to choose from, we want to go to South America! When we are ready for that trip we might have to choose RCL or Celebrity if NCL doesn't have a route that includes Brazil and Argentina at that time. Hopefully in the next few years. I'd rather stay with NCL.

The used to have the South American cruise in 2010 and it was my wife's favorite cruise (my second favorite). Great cruise to consider even if you (sadly) have to leave NCL.

The Spirit's 2013 Christmas itinerary from Malaga looks interesting. All new ports bar Barcelona and we have plenty left to see there. I can feel some research coming on...

Thanks for this lead on this itinerary. NCL added Morocco to 2013/2014 winter Canary Island itinerary - a bucket list country! Dates work out of Barcelona for us in November - a miracle! And, can combine with a visit to Madrid after cruise, another place we haven't been. It will be warm during the cruise itself. Have seen Granada and Alahambra, but didn't get a chance to check out white towns - perfect for an excursion day. Ticks all the boxes.

Can't thank you enough - you solved our problem! I was even researching Morocco for a land trip, but we just need a taste of this country, not a whole 6 course dinner. A day there will satisfy.

Dang - now wish I had bought a future cruise coupon on our Holylands cruise last Novemeber. Back then it looked like none of the cruises would interest us. Don't know if Morocco was a recent itinerary change, or I just missed it.

Thanks for this lead on this itinerary. NCL added Morocco to 2013/2014 winter Canary Island itinerary - a bucket list country! ...... I was even researching Morocco for a land trip, but we just need a taste of this country, not a whole 6 course dinner. A day there will satisfy.

My DW and I went to Morocco on a ferry from Algeciras, Spain to Tangiers. It was a one-day whirlwind excursion but apparently enough time for the obligatory rug and trinket hard sell along the way. This mini-trip was during our honeymoon but I suspect Tangiers hasn't changed (despite the many years). We departed from Ceuta due to rough seas.

If you want a positive, historic Muslim city to visit, Istanbul is a jewel. My humble opinion.

There is a simple reason runs like this and the old runs deep into the southern Caribbean are not available, the price of fuel! To bring them back and recover the true incremental cost everyone here would scream about the pricing. :)

I can't see how fuel costs can be a reason not to go to southern Caribbean. They have cruises from New York to eastern Caribbean and if they can have that, why can't they have cruises from Miami to southern Caribbean? The short cruises from New York to eastern Caribbean aren't very expensive so a southern Caribbean cruise don't have to cost very much.

I can't see how fuel costs can be a reason not to go to southern Caribbean. They have cruises from New York to eastern Caribbean and if they can have that, why can't they have cruises from Miami to southern Caribbean? The short cruises from New York to eastern Caribbean aren't very expensive so a southern Caribbean cruise don't have to cost very much.

I agree plus our cruise 2 weeks ago the Captain of the ship was bragging about how his ship had electric engines and it saves about 80% on fuel cost. ;)

Archived