No New Routes for NCL

NCL is a great cruise line and my wife and I have exclusively booked with NCL except for one HAL trip to Panama & Southern Caribbean. We love Freestyle cruising and their overall product and recently achieved Platinum Latitude status. Sadly, we may not be able to continue with NCL after reviewing their late 2013 and 2014 destinations. We have cruised to ports all over the Med; South America; Northern Europe (Iceland, Norway); East & West Caribbean; and, we will be going to Alaska in May 2013.

I'd like to see a few Asian or Australian/NZ cruises offered by NCL and heard some rumors of NCL was considering expanding to these locales. I'd also like to return on a cruise to South America but NCL pulled out of that route in the Spring 2010.

We're pleased to recommend NCL for new cruisers but what can NCL do for their Latitudes Platinum cruisers - any exciting new routes planned for 2015? Or do I start looking to competitors? Sad.

Fair Winds and Following Seas, Russ

NCL is a great cruise line and my wife and I have exclusively booked with NCL except for one HAL trip to Panama & Southern Caribbean. We love Freestyle cruising and their overall product and recently achieved Platinum Latitude status. Sadly, we may not be able to continue with NCL after reviewing their late 2013 and 2014 destinations. We have cruised to ports all over the Med; South America; Northern Europe (Iceland, Norway); East & West Caribbean; and, we will be going to Alaska in May 2013.

I'd like to see a few Asian or Australian/NZ cruises offered by NCL and heard some rumors of NCL was considering expanding to these locales. I'd also like to return on a cruise to South America but NCL pulled out of that route in the Spring 2010.

We're pleased to recommend NCL for new cruisers but what can NCL do for their Latitudes Platinum cruisers - any exciting new routes planned for 2015? Or do I start looking to competitors? Sad.

I agree - was really hoping for some new routes and regions to be announced. Because we don't want to keep going back to the same places, if NCL doesn't add some new places in the next couple of years, we'll have to ....*gasp*.... consider other lines if we want to cruise Australia, South America, Asia, etc.

I don't find it necessary to limit myself to just one cruise line. I enjoy the variety all of the major cruise lines offer.

There is a lot to see and experience out there, go for it.

I agree that variety is the spice of life - it's just that NCL's Freestyle suits us perfectly and while other lines are starting to offer some similar options, it's still not the Freestyle we've come to know and love. But, if NCL doesn't offer new routes, we'll certainly have to look to other lines to take us to new places!

Happy New Year, by the way..... less than 2 hours to go here on the east coast! :D

Last fall, we cruised on the Dawn from Quebec City all the way down the east US coast ending in Tampa. It was a wonderful cruise! Why does NCL have nearly half their ships going to the western Caribbean, when there are so many other places to go?? The Star, the Dawn, the Jewel, the Pearl, the Epic, and the Sun all go to the western Caribbean. Not one of them even go to Key West either. I love NCL, but I don't want to go to Mexico any more.

We are delighted that NCL was the first cruise line to offer freestyle and sail year round out of New York (we hate flying). We sail NCL annually for our winter getaway. They offer us 12, 9 & 7 day cruises on two ships of different sizes (Breakaway & Gem or Jewel) to the Caribbean or Florida and the Bahamas. That's enough variety for us. As long as they keep giving us those wonderful Platinum perks (better than any other cruise line), we will keep coming back to NCL.

I agree that variety is the spice of life - it's just that NCL's Freestyle suits us perfectly and while other lines are starting to offer some similar options, it's still not the Freestyle we've come to know and love. But, if NCL doesn't offer new routes, we'll certainly have to look to other lines to take us to new places!

Happy New Year, by the way..... less than 2 hours to go here on the east coast! :D

Agreed - We love Freestyle which NCL does better than any other cruise line. Since we're in Florida, we'll likely take an occasional NCL trip to the Caribbean for snorkeling. But we will keep looking for that cruise to a new, cool destination (hopefully on an NCL ship).

Happy Cruising in 2013!

Talk about new routes, I had to laugh today when I checked our 1/12/13 Epic sailing on a large cruise only agency website (just being curious) - and hmm, they show our itinerary as:

01/12 Miami (Depart 04:00 PM)

01/13 Aspen

01/14 Aspen

01/15 Pinheiro (Arrive 08:00 AM)

01/15 Pinheiro (Depart 06:00 PM)

01/16 St Thomas (Arrive 08:00 AM)

01/16 St Thomas (Depart 04:00 PM)

01/17 Aspen

01/18 Nassau (Arrive 12:00 PM)

01/18 Nassau (Depart 07:00 PM)

01/19 Miami

*This was cut and pasted directly from their site

Aspen and Pinherio? Well I guess the Rockies and Brazil will surely be some place new to cruise to LOL ;)

I'll have to pass it along to my PCC so he can get a laugh too.

Talk about new routes, I had to laugh today when I checked our 1/12/13 Epic sailing on a large cruise only agency website (just being curious) - and hmm, they show our itinerary as:

01/12 Miami (Depart 04:00 PM)

01/13 Aspen

01/14 Aspen

01/15 Pinheiro (Arrive 08:00 AM)

01/15 Pinheiro (Depart 06:00 PM)

01/16 St Thomas (Arrive 08:00 AM)

01/16 St Thomas (Depart 04:00 PM)

01/17 Aspen

01/18 Nassau (Arrive 12:00 PM)

01/18 Nassau (Depart 07:00 PM)

01/19 Miami

*This was cut and pasted directly from their site

Aspen and Pinherio? Well I guess the Rockies and Brazil will surely be some place new to cruise to LOL ;)

I'll have to pass it along to my PCC so he can get a laugh too.

Is this the cruise that also stops in las Vegas?:D

Is this the cruise that also stops in las Vegas?:D

I'll book any cruise that includes one of my favorite US cities!!:rolleyes:

And they can add the Grand Canyon as an excursion!!!!:cool:

Just to add a whine: what about us folks who have to cruise the 7-day school vacation? In 2015 this looks like strictly the Western Caribbean, with only the Getaway to the most mundane of destinations in the Eastern. I too will be looking at other cruise lines in 2015: I was hoping for some newer E. Caribbean destinations for the 7 day like St. Kitts or a fast run to Aruba/Curacao like Princess does but no such luck.

It's getting hard to find one we've not already done, too. You've even done the once a year one to Norway/Iceland. I am trying to convince DH to do that. I am pleased that NCL has a couple more Panama Canal cruises this year, not just repositioning through the canal. That's one we had to cancel on HAL a couple of years ago. Would also love to see NCL back in South America. When we went to the future cruises talk, the consultant seemed to think there would be new routes when the new schedule came out, but no such luck.

That is really the deal here. Like you, we are most comfortable with NCL and the freestyle cruising. As You Wish on other lines is not really as you wish. It's at certain times that don't interfere with the set dining and you may need to make a reservation or you have a long wait. We also go on other lines and have a good time, but it's not the same. Not to mention the great Latitude perks at 75 days rather than 200 in the case of one of the other lines we use.

All we can hope for now is something new when the Breakaway + comes online in 2015. I continue to search for new itineraries. Booked for the maiden transatlantic for the Breakaway and Getaway. The ships become a new destination. If I never see Nassau again it will be too soon.

I continue to wait for NCL to return to South America and add Australia. I will book those repos day one. I took my first cruise on RCCL in 20 years this past summer after 30+ NCL cruises in a row. It was fine but I missed the perks, staff, and Freestyle of NCL.

It's getting hard to find one we've not already done, too. You've even done the once a year one to Norway/Iceland. I am trying to convince DH to do that. I am pleased that NCL has a couple more Panama Canal cruises this year, not just repositioning through the canal. That's one we had to cancel on HAL a couple of years ago. Would also love to see NCL back in South America. When we went to the future cruises talk, the consultant seemed to think there would be new routes when the new schedule came out, but no such luck.

On our Norway/Iceland/Scotland cruise last September, our cruise consultant has indicated that many Latitudes members were pushing NCL for new routes (term used was "message received"). Sadly no new routes have been announced for the next cruise cycle. NCL's play-it-safe strategy to provide traditional routes (too many to West Caribbean) might lose Latitude members who are looking for new and different. The Norway/Iceland/Scotland cruise from Copenhagen was a unique route and Latitudes members booked that ship quickly (over 1200 of the 1900 passengers onboard that ship were Latitudes members - that had to split the Latitudes party into two seating in the auditorium to comfortably seat us all). NCL didn't have to really discount that trip so unclear why new or unique routes wouldn't be endorsed by NCL mgmt. Stunning trip - amazing views - it was a return for us to Norway to see what we missed last time in Bergen and Alesund. Oddly enough, a stop in the Faroe Islands (near Iceland) was my unexpected favorite.

Quick note - we liked the partial transit through the three Gatun locks versus a full transit (repositioning). With a partial transit, you get to disembark and tour Panama and later meet the ship in Colon. It also means you can skip Western Mexico ports which are dangerous. Read "Path Between the Seas", by David McCollough to understand the history, politics and engineering of the canal. Several great Panama Canal videos (Discovery and PBS) that you can rent on Netflix as well.

**Bucket List**: Antarctica, Israel, Far East, Egypt, River Cruises in Europe

Russ, NCL Jade does Israel - haven't you checked it out?

As for Antarctica (also on my bucket list), may I suggest Hurtigruten "FRAM" - excellent itineraries. We have been on Hurtigruten twice in Norway and both times were excellent.

We'd like NCL to have more options & year round service out of Boston. Bermuda and Canada are fine, but I'd love to see an option which cruises to Norfolk, Va, Savannah, Ga., with a port of call at Bermuda or the the Bahamas for the foreign port.

Yes, it might take 10 or 12 days, but that's ok.

I would also like to see a shore excursion in St. Martin which takes you to Maho Beach. I'd love to see the planes coming in over my head.

The problem with Australia is there are Australian main line cruise lines serving there consuming the pier space on weekends. Their navy has had to give up some of its pier space at its navy base which it really doesn't have the extra capacity for as it is to service large cruise ships which don't fit under the Harbor Bridge. Sydney's airport is also over capacity and limited at night while they can't decide whether to build a second international airport, much less buy the land to build one. Locations for a second airport at Badgery's Creek and Wilton have been discussed, up to 51 kilometers from downtown Sydney, with no transit or freeways connections.

Simply put, the cruise lines especially with the larger ships have to reserve pier space which is finite worldwide. Not only for the ports of call, but also at the large city home based ports as well, especially for weekend departures. New York City may have built a second cruise terminal in Brooklyn, but Sydney hasn't.

Not many passengers prefer tendering. Not many passengers prefer starting cruises mid-week either. And as far as having similar itineraries, most cruisers desire one week itineraries than longer itineraries. The one week itineraries are cheaper and fit within most passengers vacation time better. For every port of call deeper in the Eastern Caribbean, the itinerary increases two days. As it is to deliver cheaper cruises, some cruise lines are offering itineraries of less than one week to only one port of call.

I guess the cruise lines could build faster ships, up to 40 knots. But no one would enjoy the wind current on the outside decks. If you want to go to different ports of call, book the more expensive smaller cruise lines and ships that service them.

On our Norway/Iceland/Scotland cruise last September, our cruise consultant has indicated that many Latitudes members were pushing NCL for new routes (term used was "message received"). Sadly no new routes have been announced for the next cruise cycle. NCL's play-it-safe strategy to provide traditional routes (too many to West Caribbean) might lose Latitude members who are looking for new and different. The Norway/Iceland/Scotland cruise from Copenhagen was a unique route and Latitudes members booked that ship quickly (over 1200 of the 1900 passengers onboard that ship were Latitudes members - that had to split the Latitudes party into two seating in the auditorium to comfortably seat us all). NCL didn't have to really discount that trip so unclear why new or unique routes wouldn't be endorsed by NCL mgmt. Stunning trip - amazing views - it was a return for us to Norway to see what we missed last time in Bergen and Alesund. Oddly enough, a stop in the Faroe Islands (near Iceland) was my unexpected favorite.

Quick note - we liked the partial transit through the three Gatun locks versus a full transit (repositioning). With a partial transit, you get to disembark and tour Panama and later meet the ship in Colon. It also means you can skip Western Mexico ports which are dangerous. Read "Path Between the Seas", by David McCollough to understand the history, politics and engineering of the canal. Several great Panama Canal videos (Discovery and PBS) that you can rent on Netflix as well.

Interesting. We are considering the Faroe Islands cruise in September 2014. Do you think it is worth booking a veranda with the chilly weather?

Also, I noticed that 2013 has an option that included the Faroe Islands cruise and the B2B Translantic back to Miami for a great overall price. That option is not offered for 2013, however you can still book the TA, but the total price is $600 more for a veranda.

But the Norway itinerary is a trans Atlantic itinerary, a very long cruise longer than one week. NCL does reposition cruises during the spring and fall of every year, book one of them. Sadly, though, NCL doesn't do reposition cruises during the middle of the summer.

Several years ago NCL didn't do cruises in the Med, they do now. Recently NCL didn't have cruises to the southern Caribbean, they will with the Sun. So NCL has addressed the issue with a few new itineraries, but NCL's bread and butter are the one week established and popular itineraries.

There are other more expensive luxury cruise lines with smaller ships out there which have a large number of itineraries which aren't main line one week bread and butter itineraries. Book them if you wish to see new itineraries. Better yet, with complete control of your itinerary, buy a yacht.

The problem with Australia is there are Australian main line cruise lines serving there consuming the pier space on weekends. ... Simply put, the cruise lines especially with the larger ships have to reserve pier space which is finite worldwide. Not only for the ports of call, but also at the large city home based ports as well, especially for weekend departures. New York City may have built a second cruise terminal in Brooklyn, but Sydney hasn't. ... Not many passengers prefer tendering. .

Agreed Don - tendering to many Aussie ports would be a negative but maybe a NCL Sun (smaller) ship would fit and get under the bridges. But interesting to hear these issues with expansion in Australia (which may explain NCL's decision not to go to Australia).

As for the Faroe Island question, that Island is the second most beautiful island of it's size (behind Hawaii) but a stark beauty. We had an aft balcony and were pleased to have the views. The ship's captain took us between two of the main islands (off Vestmanna) for stunning views. This was after taking a small boat trip from Vestmanna to see bird cliffs and rock formations. The puffins will not be nesting there in September but other birds can be seen. Got a private tour on a fishing boat and took public transit from the port to Vestmanna where we met the fishing boat. Inexpensive and fun - NCL had a similar excursion on a bigger boat, as well.

Lastly, a good suggestion from BlueSea777 on FRAM for Anarctica - my wife has been tracking their prices for awhile - one of the few options for that destinations but went "close" on our South American trip. As for Israel, we'll likely take a land-based trip there. Too many things to see on a port call. We were going to go to Egypt on our April 2011 trip to the Med but that country was closed down for tourists right before our trip (but Istanbul was a very acceptable and fun alternative).

Thanks everyone for the information, suggestions and explanations.

Archived