summer weather in canada/new england? please help

musicmansmom

the weather sure sounds different than we are having here. we are so desperate for rain and it is so hot. the farmers are going to have trouble soon if we do get some much needed rain in the next week or so. it is in the 90's here and very humid. thanks to all for the weather reports. i cant wait to get there.

my best friend ( who is strictly a beach girl ) said she wants to go on this canada/new england cruise with me. i am in shock :D . anyway, she wants to lay out on the balcony and soak up the sun while we are out at sea and just take in the ports by shopping and wandering around. that is perfect for me, but what is the best month i can book us for the hottest weather? i am guessing august, but i dont know for sure. and we dont want a ship full of kids.

any suggestions for my ''' traveling plans now'''???? thanks alot

I would go with August - the end of July is usually the warmest with August coming in a close second ... I have been known to turn the heat back on the 1st of September. My birthday is September 18th - the few years I was in the Chicago area my birthday was in the "summer" - in Maine though my birthday is in the "fall" - September is a wonderful month, but for warmer weather go with August. Jan

thanks jan

this cruise is going to be a little different for me. my friend is a '' beachy lay in the sun type'' ( that is why we are going to have a balcony for sure for her ) and i am going there to see the sites in the ports and take in the scenery and history of the area. we are kind of like 'night and day' for what we want out of the trip, but we are best friends so it will be fun and interesting to be able to do both things that we like :D . of course we both love to shop so that wont be a problem for using up our time in the ports;) . from the replies i have has so far i am planning on going in august so she can have the hot weather. i cant wait to go.

I hope that you have a wonderful time - I've always thought it would be great fun to go on a cruise with a friend (actually I do go with my best friend, and its my DH, but would love to have a "girls cruise" someday) - If you do go in August, try for the beginning of the month instead of the end. Hopefully the weather will be on more of an even keel - last night I wore "blanket" pajams to bed - tonight the air conditioning is on - go figure!

Enjoy! Jan

I hope that you have a wonderful time - I've always thought it would be great fun to go on a cruise with a friend (actually I do go with my best friend, and its my DH, but would love to have a "girls cruise" someday) - If you do go in August, try for the beginning of the month instead of the end. Hopefully the weather will be on more of an even keel - last night I wore "blanket" pajams to bed - tonight the air conditioning is on - go figure!

Enjoy! Jan

jan, yes, it is going to be a great time. she is compromising by not going to the caribbean and i am giving in and not going during the fall folaige cruise . i will take your suggestion about the first of august so it will be the sunniest for her. as long as she can lay on the balcony/deck chair and we both can shop we will be happy :D . thanks for the tip on the weather. it sounds like it does change there alot.

Carol, if you ask my fifteen year old son, nothing. He'd rather go to Miami with scantily clad women, big beaches and excitement. LOL. I mention this because this is a conversation we had last night while walking out on breakwall connected to a lighthouse. The problem with him is this is home.

Okay, to answer your question depends on what you like to do. If poking around interesting local shops is your thing, then the Old Port where the ship docks is really neat. Draws alot of driving tourists every summer. Of course you can walk around the various working wharfs along the waterfront for a true feel of a working seafront city.

This Website has many different tour around Portland and Casco Bay. There are some schooner's docked near the cruise ship that offer public sailing in the bay. What's unique about Casco Bay is that there are over 300 islands and many lighthouses. Mainely tours offers a trolley that allows you to get off and get on at various landmarks including Portland Headlight in suburban Cape Elizabeth. If you go to the lighthouse, be sure to check out some of the nice houses.

If you want to spend a leisurely time on an island, Casco Bay Lines ferry service to Peaks Island is an inexpensive trip. There is a sandwich shop next to where the ferry drops you off on the island, which is actually in the city of Portland.

Hope this gives you a start. Please feel free to ask me any more questions.

Carol, if you ask my fifteen year old son, nothing. He'd rather go to Miami with scantily clad women, big beaches and excitement.

big.............beaches. OH, you said, "BEACHES". LOL! NOT what I first read!

Thanks for the help, Rick. I have been busily exploring all the websites linked to the website you posted. I think that we are still torn between "doing" Portland on our own, based on info we can get from websites like this one http://www.visitportland.com/arch_sites.aspx or grab one of the guided tours, either of land, sea or both.

Carol

Must do in Portland is the Old Port---if time permits, Freeport and LLBean is also awesome.
kenandlaura, what do you think of the LLBean outlet IN Portland? I don't think that we want to make the PILGRIMAGE to Freeport. :D

Carol

The LLBean outlet stores are not the same. They have one at my local shopping plaza--it is hit or miss for bargains. If you don't have time to go to Freeport, I would skip the LLBean outlet.

There is no comparison. The main store is definitely where you need to go for the pilgrimage. It's not too far a ride.

There is no comparison. The main store is definitely where you need to go for the pilgrimage. It's not too far a ride.

Laura and Rick: Please define: "not too far a ride." I don't want to rent a car for anything else that we are doing, and if you figure in taxi fare both ways, what kind of bargains are they?????

Carol

Laura and Rick: Please define: "not too far a ride." I don't want to rent a car for anything else that we are doing, and if you figure in taxi fare both ways, what kind of bargains are they?????

Carol

I couldn't give you a taxi figure. I would say that I would go with a ship excursion just because it would be less of a hassle. It is about a 20-30 minute ride---not "too far" in Maine!!!

Most rates for taxi's are regulated by the towns/cities - the published rate for a taxi from Portland to Freeport is $40.00 each way. Hope this helps -

We are having very strange weather this year - lots of rain and thunder last night - Much nicer today .... Its what makes Maine the most wonderful place to live (my opinion anyway) Enjoy! Jan

Archived