summer weather in canada/new england? please help

musicmansmom

first of all let me say i know that the weather can never be predicted. but i am torn between two seasons to take this cruise '' summer or fall'' . i can only afford one cruise every two years because of finances. but i am very flexable when i can go when i can afford it.

i want to get away from the HOT/HUMID weather we have here in the midwest in the summer months, but i am also dying too see the fall folaige. can someone tell me if i will escape the '' swelter here '' if i take this cruise during the summer months. i want to go to go as far norht as montreal and on down to the east coast. i know i should be more specific with the ports to visit but i am not sure of the itineray that i want to choose yet.

please, can someone tell me what kind of summer weather they have that far up north ? or will i still have the humidity there as well and should just plan on the fall foilage cruise? thanks for any info.

It is so hard to predict weather up here in the north, we have a saying in New England, "if you don't like the weather, wait a minute, it will change".

Last summer was the "summer that never was", it was rainy, much cooler than we ever have. Here it is the first of June and we are barely hitting 60 degrees. But, predicting 80 by the weekend. July tends to be a pretty hot month as far as New Hampshire and Mass goes, we usually have at least one week of very hot and humid weather, but it is usually only one week. August is a beautiful month, and early Sept. is also really great as far as warm days (still usually in the high 70's to low-mid 80's) with slightly cooler nights. If you are looking for the warm weather, I'd suggest late August, early Sept. Plus, there are a lot less visitors as the kids are back to school in this area by the first week of Sept.

Now, if you are looking for foliage, you are going to be coming later. Foliage season in nothern NE (if you are cruising, this will mean Maine and Canada), foliage season will start in early Oct. and work it's way down into Southern NE. In other words, foliage starts where the cooler weather sets in earlier in the fall. Peak foliage along coastal NH and into the Boston area is not until middle of Oct (3rd week). Now, you could still have some warm days (70's) but nights will be cool (50;s). Again, it all depends on how cool and rainy, or hot of a summer we have.

Sorry, it is so hard to predict the weather around here. Honestly, many refer to the Farmers Almanac, which somehow does tend to be rather accurate.

If you are really wanting to experience foliage, I would suggest an extended weekend in New England, there are so many beautiful inns and bed and breakfast places to stay. Vermont and New Hampshire offer some of the best foliage, as well as the Berkshire area of Massachusetts. I don't know if you'll find cruise excursions that take you into these areas as they are so far from the coast. There are lots of flights now into Manchester NH and Portland ME. Just reserve a room as soon as you can, this time of year is huge tourist season.

boatbunny

you are wonderful. what a fantastic reply. it is just what i was looking for. i am going to save it for future use. i live in illinois and it is unbearable here in the summer so cooler weather is what i am really looking foward too. but your great info about the fall foilage and the suggestion for an extended period of time there sounds wonderful. and ( even though i love them to death ) i prefer to plan my vacations around the school season being in. i have never spent any time on the upper east coast and am dying to go there and see all there is to see and do. i have alot of research to do ( picking out the right ship is a challange too ) but thanks too you it is going to be easier now too choose a season to go. and i am also going to pick up a farmers almanac to help me with the weather situation :) . once again thanks alot. this is why i love this board so much. it is the most helpful and we have the nicest members of all the boards.

WE have just booked our fourth Canada/New England cruise. We love that itinery. Last year we went in August. The weather was great. Not too hot but just warm enough. However, in August you will not see Fall foilage.

This year we are mid September. There may be some fall folage but I really doubt it. We have been late September one year and did see some colours.

WE love to vacation in the fall but do not get too upset if there is no fall foilage. There is so much that depends on the type of weather that has preded the fall as to when the colours will start to turn.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your vacation.

the fall folaige sounds beautiful. all of you are making my time of the year to go alot easier to choose. i have only seen shots of the trees in maine and vermont on tv and it looks fabulous. hopefully i can find a cruise i like that i can afford. and since i have discovered that i love balcony cabins, i do want to get one of for this trip. at the back of the ship would be a great place to spend many hours watching the scenery go by. oh, i cant wait to go. it will be a long time but it will get here someday :) .

haze, can you please tell me about the ship you were on and how you liked it. so far i have only cruised on carnival but i am open to other cruise lines if the cabin and price is right. thanks for any help.

Boatbunny described it for you perfectly.

Not sure about excursions, but if you come around the right time, you would want to see the Kangamangus Highway in New Hampshire at foliage time. This should be a ship's excursion as it would be a long haul from Portland and you would want to be certain to return in time, but that is beautiful. Unless you come a day or to prior to your cruise. We sometimes take it for granted when we are raking all these maple leaves up in October, but it is truly beautiful. To have the warm days and cool nights is great. You won't probably find much of a retreat from the warm weather if you come to our area (So. NH, Boston, So. Maine) in July as it can be quite warm and humid. But overall we are lucky. As boatbunny mentioned we have finally seen our day temp reach above 60 and no rain. That is impressive this Spring. Wait a minute it will change. :D Have fun researching.

thanks TheWog

getting away from the hot humid weather is my main goal, so the fall cruise is sounding better and better. and the highway you describe sounds beautiful. i will check into it for an excursion. i will have fun doing all my research :) . thanks for the reply.

thank you so much TheWog

the pix are gorgeous. i cant wait to see the beautiful landscape myself when i go. i have definetely decided to go in the fall. it will be a cruise that i will remember forever. you have been a great help in making my decision :) .

You are so welcome. Have a great time.

Just an FYI - Yesterday temps were at 90 and most were close to. Today in the low 60s or so. Some places not even that high and temps tomorrow are expected to be in the 80s. Just an example of the varying weather you can find here.

• 3 weeks later...
You are so welcome. Have a great time.

Just an FYI - Yesterday temps were at 90 and most were close to. Today in the low 60s or so. Some places not even that high and temps tomorrow are expected to be in the 80s. Just an example of the varying weather you can find here.

You truly can't predict the weather--We literally went from 90 degrees one day last week to 60 degrees a day later. IMHO, September is the best month in New England, so that is when I would cruise. Bring layers, no matter the season!

Fall is my favorite season here. Summers can be very hot and humid. Fall is beautiful, great colors. Not sure what you'd see off a ship though. If Portland has a shore excursion to the Kangamangus, go for it, it's one of the most beautiful rides anywhere, especially in the fall. Leaves start changing in the north and work south, usually the process runs late Sept/early Oct. Depends on the year. If you are bringing kids, depending on their ages, allow time in Boston for the Museum of Science and the Aquarium. Both are great places for kids to visit, if you want more info on either, let me know.

Steph

Have to comment based on today's weather. I live less than two miles inland in the city of Portland. This morning it started out warm and muggy and stayed that way until lunch. This afternoon the wind shifted and picked up off the water, brought fog in and droped the temps to the upper 50s which is where it is at 3:00. Windows are open and I am freezing. The ocean temperature never gets warm.

Rich! - Haven't seen you in a long time - I Just sent in a deposit on 8 day eastern in October 2006. Weather really has been odd this year - but then again most years are - about a week ago one day it was in the 90's then by the end of the week it didn't get past 55 - gotta love it - better than snow! Jan

All your advice and information has been a great help to me as I will be leaving New York on 7 September for my first ever cruise. I will be on Radisson's Navigator and as long as I don't get seasick, it will all be wonderful.

About eight years ago I was in the New England area in September and definitely saw some wonderful colours but maybe it was later than this time. I won't expect to see any and if I do, it will be a bonus!

The highlight of my US trip was definitely the East Coast and the lobsters!

it sounds like i will be packing like i did for my may cruise to alaska. layers and just a unlined nylon jacket in case i need it. i cant wait to go in the fall. it is my favorite time of year i want to see all the leaves that are changing colors ( i hope i time it just right ). thanks everybody.:)

Hey Jan, we have a meet and mingle thread for our Explorer cruise. We'll be sailing with new and old friends. Weather is nice this weekend. Supposed to be cooler here on the coast, but we are going inland (Augusta area) for the Fourth.

Hi - It is a beautiful 4th - weather is perfect - no humidity - high 80 - probably low 70's in Bar Harbor .... wonderful.

Read on the internet that Bar Harbor area is one of the 25 most congested vacation areas in the US - one more reason not to try to rent a car.

I'm trying to get people for our cruise but it is very far away (October 28, 2006) 8 day eastern on the Radiance - Have you done the eastern route yet? If so any ideas of what to not miss/or miss?

Hope everything is well with your family .... kids keep growing up! Jan

Jan, Thanks for the Update. I will be starting to pack tonight and I am kind of having a difficult time with living in Las Vegas and the high today will be at least 110 degrees I have to almost think winter:) . Well not really but I know it will not be as cold as it was in Alaska May of 2004 but it will definitely be a lot cooler than here in the desert. The tough part is the packing.

Ok kids - 20 mins or so Northeast of Boston and it is still only in the 50s. Might make the 60's today.

it sounds like heaven too me. we are in the 90's with very high humidity to deal with. it is a wet-humid-scorcher here in the midwest. i like the cooler weather better than the hot, humid summers we have. i cant wait to get up in your part of the country and even higher up for a nice break in the weather. this is going to be my dream cruise and i want to spend a few more days in monteal/ quebec before i board the ship. it sounds wonderful and i have two years to save, so i should be able to get in all the activities and sightseeing i want to do. i just hope i will be able to get a good hotel room through priceline for my 2 nights stay before i board. i love all the planning and doing my research. it gives me a reason to get out of bed and go to my job ( that i desperately need a break from ). i spend hours here on this board and read all i can. it sure keeps me busy and makes my plans even more fun. i cant wait to go.:D

Archived