Princess Changes

ssbeagle

We are taking our first cruise, and I am not liking what I'm hearing here.

I thought that taking a cruise was about relaxing and enjoying fantastic fine food? Quality, not quantity is what interests me.

For the money that we spend for this vacation, I am not interested in eating hamburgers at the buffett because the food in the dining rooms is poor. And paying extra in the specialty restaurants isn't the solution.

If the food isn't good, my first cruise may be my last!

Here's hoping Princess hasn't gone to far with there cut backs.

We took our first cruise in Sept/oct and found it to be fabulous. The food was great-I have no idea about 5 star food and would probably not eat it if I knew what it was. What they served was great and varied. The portions were correct for a proper diet and, if you wanted more, you could get more.

We did eat in the buffet for some breakfasts and lunches and found it to be good. Not haute cuisine but filling and tasty.

The service was exception certainly 5 star, the entertainment was plentiful, varied and very good.

It was a truly great experience.

Not all you read here is negative.

We just sailed on the 12/27/12-1/6'13 Emerald Princess to the Caribbean. It was our 26th Princess cruise and we took our children and grandchildren to celebrate our 50th anniversary. So we are not new cruisers.

I found the food to be mediocre, mostly good but some leaving a bit to be desired. I did not like the fact that the dining room was closed for lunch when in port. I guess the idea is that most people are off the ship then so it's not needed. But those that have cruised often have usually seen the ports and they don't differ a lot as far as the jewelry and junk that is being sold. Also, those cruising a long time are older and we don't navigate the buffet lines well. We don't like having to eat in shifts to secure a table, jostling to get food and then having it cold by the time we sit down. Add to that mobility problems and buffets are not my friend. So I don't enjoy being forced to be there since the dining room is closed. Yes, there are hot dogs, hamburgers and pizza - all very good - available on deck but I don't cruise to have a McDonald's menu or again, stand in line to get my food.

I also didn't like the fact that they've shortened the amount of time that one can use a future cruise deposit. For all of our previous cruising, we were told that the future deposit was good for 4 years and if not used, would be refunded. The ones I just purchased on this trip showed a sail by date of January 2015. I had purchased a couple previously so that I had them when I found a future cruise I liked. Then I'd purchase more on a subsequent cruise. I'm sure I'll cruise again within 2 years but I have other deposits that I'd use before then. The future cruise deposit is a good deal but I don't like being forced into using it that soon.

There was no card room on the Emerald Princess. The family liked to play games in that room on other ships. We also liked to play cards with our friends when groups of us traveled. Can't be done anymore. I guess they didn't like space that doesn't generate revenue?

We also felt that there was less to do on this ship but we did enjoy the talks on crime drama and the hypnotist, although the latter should have been held in the Princess Theater to accommodate all those that wanted to see him. I did like the new menus that changed the "always available" to just being shown each day. I also liked having some brunch items on the lunch menu - unfortunately, that only happened when the dining room was open on sea days.

Princess needs to get its act together on the special packages they sell. My daughter gave us the Anniversary package to thank us for the cruise. She had to purchase it in advance through our TA. We received a letter detailing what was in that package but the card showed the gift coming from our TA and not our daughter. In addition, it was labeled a "Deluxe Honeymoon Package" and not an anniversary package, although the contents are the same. Just some sloppiness but it gets worse. The letter was signed by the Customer relations manager telling us not to hesitate to call him via the Passenger Services extension 6000.

We received the bottle of champaign and 2 long stem roses but instead of the "engraved souvenir champagne glasses, we received ordinary ones. A call to 6000 told us to call room service.

The letter told us we'd receive a framed portrait and just to present the attached voucher, but there was no attached voucher. Fortunately, we reached the right person in the Photo Gallery that accepted the word in the letter without the voucher.

The strawberries and breakfast arrived nicely. The letter also said that two wrapped robes were provided that we could take home, but they weren't there. Called 6000 and was told that we needed to pick them out at the boutique. Went there and they asked for a voucher. We showed them the letter and they sent us back to Passenger Services. Passenger Services this time told us to call room service. After 2 calls, the robes were finally delilvered.

The package also included 25 minute massages and we were directed to call the Spa on extension 15209 to make an appointment. I'm sure the passengers in room 209 on the Lido deck appreciated getting these calls. Once again, had to call the Passenger Services desk. Yes, that was the wrong number, it was 16 something. But this time, the person answering the phone at Passenger Services actually took ownership and made the appointments for us.

On the positive side, the bridge visit was very nice and we were allowed to take our youngest grandson with us to it. He enjoyed it very much. But overall, Princess should have done a better job with this package. It should be something where people can lay back and spoil themselves and not be frustrated because someone used a letter from another ship and didn't check out the details.

The perks associated with being Elite are nice, especially the free laundry. They used to have a very nice lunch with the captain for the most traveled customers but they substituted that with a cocktail hour. Just what I needed, more food after dinner. I have another cruise scheduled for August with friends and if this is a similar experience, I'm going to start looking at other lines. I've found the food on Holland America and Celebrity to be a little better than Princess. I can pack differently to avoid needing the laundry but I am looking for a line that is more according to my wants and needs.

"There was no card room on the Emerald Princess. The family liked to play games in that room on other ships. We also liked to play cards with our friends when groups of us traveled. Can't be done anymore. I guess they didn't like space that doesn't generate revenue?"

During the day, Sabatinis is used as a game room. You can find all sorts of board games and people playing cards.

Hi There

Sounds as your cabin steward was not as good as they should be,

a few cruises ago I got a cabin in a poor condition, did you ask

for customer services director, or hotel manager.

I went to the pursars desk, and requested an officer attend my cabin

as I was not accepting it, by the time I walked back to the cabin an

officer was waiting for me, all issues were then delt with, also got a

obc but cabin was in a poor state,

was on Grand in summer and had no issues, but my best and worse

cruises have been on the same ship, so things change.

yours Shogun

I agree we had one of best and worse cruises on the same ship. The most amazing part of it the two cruises were within 4 months of each. Our issue was simply service was not so good the second time around. So it happens. Best to deal with it as it happens.

Hey Caribill.....I know that. I'm saying when people REPEATEDLY refer to stewarDs as 'Stewart' and not 'joking' it drives me nuts.

Paula,

The one that drives me nuts is the "dinning" room!

During the day, Sabatinis is used as a game room. You can find all sorts of board games and people playing cards.

On Ruby Princess last month they used the Crown Grill pretty much every day as a gaming room for cards and board games. They laid out green table cloths over the white ones and there were refreshments in there like pastries and juice/coffee.

We were just on the Emerald Christmas cruise and the food was fantastic. I had the best steaks and the prime rib was delicious. I have had excellent beef on all of my Princess cruises. So, no I don't see any downgrade of food.

:eek: We too were on the Emerald Christmas cruise (b/b) & New Year (our 35 th Princess cruise)Thought the food was generally poor & will not cruise Princess again.

Cant have been on the same cruise !;)

We just sailed on the 12/27/12-1/6'13 Emerald Princess to the Caribbean. It was our 26th Princess cruise and we took our children and grandchildren to celebrate our 50th anniversary. So we are not new cruisers.

I found the food to be mediocre, mostly good but some leaving a bit to be desired. I did not like the fact that the dining room was closed for lunch when in port. I guess the idea is that most people are off the ship then so it's not needed. But those that have cruised often have usually seen the ports and they don't differ a lot as far as the jewelry and junk that is being sold. Also, those cruising a long time are older and we don't navigate the buffet lines well. We don't like having to eat in shifts to secure a table, jostling to get food and then having it cold by the time we sit down. Add to that mobility problems and buffets are not my friend. So I don't enjoy being forced to be there since the dining room is closed. Yes, there are hot dogs, hamburgers and pizza - all very good - available on deck but I don't cruise to have a McDonald's menu or again, stand in line to get my food.

I also didn't like the fact that they've shortened the amount of time that one can use a future cruise deposit. For all of our previous cruising, we were told that the future deposit was good for 4 years and if not used, would be refunded. The ones I just purchased on this trip showed a sail by date of January 2015. I had purchased a couple previously so that I had them when I found a future cruise I liked. Then I'd purchase more on a subsequent cruise. I'm sure I'll cruise again within 2 years but I have other deposits that I'd use before then. The future cruise deposit is a good deal but I don't like being forced into using it that soon.

There was no card room on the Emerald Princess. The family liked to play games in that room on other ships. We also liked to play cards with our friends when groups of us traveled. Can't be done anymore. I guess they didn't like space that doesn't generate revenue?

We also felt that there was less to do on this ship but we did enjoy the talks on crime drama and the hypnotist, although the latter should have been held in the Princess Theater to accommodate all those that wanted to see him. I did like the new menus that changed the "always available" to just being shown each day. I also liked having some brunch items on the lunch menu - unfortunately, that only happened when the dining room was open on sea days.

Princess needs to get its act together on the special packages they sell. My daughter gave us the Anniversary package to thank us for the cruise. She had to purchase it in advance through our TA. We received a letter detailing what was in that package but the card showed the gift coming from our TA and not our daughter. In addition, it was labeled a "Deluxe Honeymoon Package" and not an anniversary package, although the contents are the same. Just some sloppiness but it gets worse. The letter was signed by the Customer relations manager telling us not to hesitate to call him via the Passenger Services extension 6000.

We received the bottle of champaign and 2 long stem roses but instead of the "engraved souvenir champagne glasses, we received ordinary ones. A call to 6000 told us to call room service.

The letter told us we'd receive a framed portrait and just to present the attached voucher, but there was no attached voucher. Fortunately, we reached the right person in the Photo Gallery that accepted the word in the letter without the voucher.

The strawberries and breakfast arrived nicely. The letter also said that two wrapped robes were provided that we could take home, but they weren't there. Called 6000 and was told that we needed to pick them out at the boutique. Went there and they asked for a voucher. We showed them the letter and they sent us back to Passenger Services. Passenger Services this time told us to call room service. After 2 calls, the robes were finally delilvered.

The package also included 25 minute massages and we were directed to call the Spa on extension 15209 to make an appointment. I'm sure the passengers in room 209 on the Lido deck appreciated getting these calls. Once again, had to call the Passenger Services desk. Yes, that was the wrong number, it was 16 something. But this time, the person answering the phone at Passenger Services actually took ownership and made the appointments for us.

On the positive side, the bridge visit was very nice and we were allowed to take our youngest grandson with us to it. He enjoyed it very much. But overall, Princess should have done a better job with this package. It should be something where people can lay back and spoil themselves and not be frustrated because someone used a letter from another ship and didn't check out the details.

The perks associated with being Elite are nice, especially the free laundry. They used to have a very nice lunch with the captain for the most traveled customers but they substituted that with a cocktail hour. Just what I needed, more food after dinner. I have another cruise scheduled for August with friends and if this is a similar experience, I'm going to start looking at other lines. I've found the food on Holland America and Celebrity to be a little better than Princess. I can pack differently to avoid needing the laundry but I am looking for a line that is more according to my wants and needs.

We were also on this cruise & agree with all your comments.

• 1 month later...

One thing I've noticed over the past few cruises that I've taken on Princess is that the quality of the beef served in MDR is definitely lower than in the past. The "filet mignon" does not seem to be a cut from the tenderloin. The steaks in the MDR are heavily tenderized. On our 1/30/13 Hawaiian cruise aboard the Golden Princess, both my wife and I ordered the NY Strip Steak and it was almost impossible to cut. There was so much gristle throughout the steak but what wasn't gristle was practically falling apart due to the tenderizing.

Dennis

Elite Princess Cruiser

I normally don't comment on food quality, as many have stated food is a very subjective topic however, I have to agree with many of the other posters and am not a big fan of the new menus. We sailed on the Star in late September and no, I didn't go hungry, but often didn't find anything too appealing so,ate in either the specialty restaurants or HC more often than normal.

We were on Sapphire in Nov and Crown in Jan 2013. Hated the new menu, and quality has dipped to an all time low. I always order the TRIO, this consists of one lamb chop, a piece of boiled veal, and a piece of chicken. But, I request 3 lamb chops in place. They have always honored my request. On the crown, I ordered the 3 lamb chops, and they arrived, no sear, but appeared to be cooked in gravy. I looked at it for some time, and waiter asked, is there a problem? I said, first, what is this. He informed me, LAMB. I attempted to cut the first chop, and was so well done, could not cut ........... He came over, and said may I bring you something else, and I said, yes, I want lamb chops, medium rare. He arrived with a new plate, that contained 2 lamb chops and they were the two on first plate. How do I know, I cut into one of them. This was shocking, and the lamb chops have always been outstanding.

The first time I saw a hamburger on menu, I asked, If I order the hamburger, may I wear my swim suit into dining room.. The humor was wasted.

THis was our 27th cruise on Princess, and has the food gone down in quality, absolutely yes.

I normally don't comment on food quality, as many have stated food is a very subjective topic however, I have to agree with many of the other posters and am not a big fan of the new menus. We sailed on the Star in late September and no, I didn't go hungry, but often didn't find anything too appealing so,ate in either the specialty restaurants or HC more often than normal.

We were on Sapphire in Nov 2012, and Crown Jan 2013. Found the menu change was not for the good. Something I love, lamb chops. And on the Crown, I ordered the TRIO, but asked for 3 chops in place of the one chop, one boiled piece of veal, and a piece of chicken. I ordered them medium rare, and when they arrived, they were cooked in gravy,(a first) and unable to cut one of the chops. Waiter saw my problem and asked, what can I do. I said, first I ordered medium rare, and these have been boiled in gravy, no sear at all. He took my plate and returned with another, but only contained 2 chops, and I am sure they were the two on original plate. Absolutely uneatable.

WOW think this is a dup. Weird, thought this was lost..........

I always order the TRIO, this consists of one lamb chop, a piece of boiled veal, and a piece of chicken. But, I request 3 lamb chops in place.

I ordered the trio last summer and I must say it was one of the worst things I've ever gotten on a Princess ship. Good thing I had filled up on appetizer and soup. I'm not generally very picky, and am pleased with most food on Princess, but this trio was mostly inedible.

"I found the food to be mediocre, mostly good but some leaving a bit to be desired. I did not like the fact that the dining room was closed for lunch when in port. I guess the idea is that most people are off the ship then so it's not needed. But those that have cruised often have usually seen the ports and they don't differ a lot as far as the jewelry and junk that is being sold. Also, those cruising a long time are older and we don't navigate the buffet lines well. We don't like having to eat in shifts to secure a table, jostling to get food and then having it cold by the time we sit down. Add to that mobility problems and buffets are not my friend. So I don't enjoy being forced to be there since the dining room is closed. Yes, there are hot dogs, hamburgers and pizza - all very good - available on deck but I don't cruise to have a McDonald's menu or again, stand in line to get my food. "

Yes, it was nice to have the MDR open on port days, however it really wasn't fair to the waitstaff as they never could predict if there would be a lot of passengers or just a few (which we found to be the norm). I think it is better that they stay closed on port days so hopefully some of the waitstaff can get some well needed rest instead of standing around the dining room hoping that people will come in to eat. The HC is still open and some of the ships now have Alfredo's Pizzeria for lunch.

"I also didn't like the fact that they've shortened the amount of time that one can use a future cruise deposit. For all of our previous cruising, we were told that the future deposit was good for 4 years and if not used, would be refunded. The ones I just purchased on this trip showed a sail by date of January 2015. I had purchased a couple previously so that I had them when I found a future cruise I liked. Then I'd purchase more on a subsequent cruise. I'm sure I'll cruise again within 2 years but I have other deposits that I'd use before then. The future cruise deposit is a good deal but I don't like being forced into using it that soon."

Altough Princess did lower the time frame to 2 years, if you do not find you are going to use the FCC after 2 years, you can request an extension for an additional 2 years. The reason this policy was changed was becasue it became an accounting nightmare -after 4 years, if someone did not use their FCC, in order for Princess to issue a refund was for the passenger to be at the same address and have the same credit card #. This is less likey to occur after a 2 year period.

"The perks associated with being Elite are nice, especially the free laundry. They used to have a very nice lunch with the captain for the most traveled customers but they substituted that with a cocktail hour. Just what I needed, more food after dinner. I have another cruise scheduled for August with friends and if this is a similar experience, I'm going to start looking at other lines. I've found the food on Holland America and Celebrity to be a little better than Princess. I can pack differently to avoid needing the laundry but I am looking for a line that is more according to my wants and needs."

As for the Most Traveled Passenger lunch, these still do occur. It just depends on the Captain and the itinerary. On itineries with less sea days, then a Cocktail party may be held; on itineries with more seas, we have always been invited to a lunch.

Hope these explanations help. :)

we were on the Grand dec-8 thru 15. We had excellent services by ALL depts, including our cabin steward.

As already mentioned, the menu has changed. our main issue is the offering of a hamburger in the MDR. We feel it should be offered as part of the MDR menu. If someone wants a burger, they can go to the grill., but please not in the MDR.

So they forced you to order it, eh???:rolleyes:

I guess in many business ventures today, efforts are being made to reduce expenses. Imagine executives of HAL, Carnival, Princess, etc. examining their budgets and having to explain variances in costs between each of these lines. I'm sure that for each budget period they must examine where cuts have been made and how more can be done with less cost. Think back when fruit was taken out of the cabins, this was a savings, so anywhere a reduction in costs can be made there is an expectation that it will be done or they will need to account for why it wasn't. Why does it costs Princess Cruises so much per day for a cruise when HAL accounts show they can do it for___?

This expense ration problem has been compounded by the Costa episode and now we have the Carnival issue.

To what extent can cuts be made without compromizing the bottom line? What are the priorities passengers expect of a cruise? Where can there be compromise? Low fares, fewer staff, less service, cheaper entertainment, lower tenders for food, etc.

If food is a priority, then this needs to me made known to Princess. Princess Cruises can then justify why there are discrepancies in their costs compared to HAL, etc. Because food quality and selection is one of the priorities identified by our passengers.

Princess needs this to be hammered home to them so they can justify why they may experience higher food costs than their other partners. IMO.

We are accustomed to paying extra for good food and service on the mass market lines - IMO that is a reasonable expectation.

Totally Agree! We often go to Crown Grill & Sabatini's and consider doing so part of the cost of our cruise.

:) Recently returned (2/5/13) from Emerald. Actually, we thought the food was much better in the MDR than it had been for the past five years or so. The new menu didn't look all that different to us. The filet he ordered was quite good -- not tough & chewy.

We never order from the Always Available side so don't know about any of those.

LuLu

~~~

All these complaints, and all these seasoned cruisers. Makes you wonder why some have so many complaints while others have few or no complaints.

You know we don't like the Caribbean, Crown, Emerald, and Crown Princess. If we went on one again we would probably just complain. So we just don't go on them. Simple.

I think when you read these boards, particularly the comments from very experienced cruisers, you need to remember these are discussion panels. We are probably being hypercritical of somewhat minor issues some times long after the cruise is finished...In most cases these issues did not cause a huge impact on our enjoyment of cruising. Its a bit like restaurant reviews...most of the people dining are happy with their meals but the reviewer will find something to compliment or criticize.;)

Sue

I would say we have experienced a slight decrease in quality of food in the MDR. Our last trip we were on the Emerald, so we just ate at the other restaurants, Vines, and the IC. We were very happy with that, but it was more expensive to eat at the Specialty restaurants, therefore a more expensive trip.

Because of that, we haven't cruised since 2011. We will try the Golden, however, next year.

I struggle with the coffee, so we buy the coffee cards...again, an added cost. So, we don't cruise as often due to the added costs, but still cruise, nontheless.

Archived