Princess Changes

ssbeagle

On two cruises in 2012. Star in July and Pacific Princess in December. The difference between the food quality were significant. Loved the food on the Pacific Princess and couldn't stomach the food on the Star which in my opinion was the worse I had ever experienced on Princess. Go figure -like many have said, it probably is related more to the Chef than the menu. Or perhaps the number of guests? Who knows but what I can say, I will never sail on the Star again!

I realize that these are no longer traditional comment cards, but these days are on-line surveys... nevertheless...

For those who have strong opinions about the food (whether positive or negative)-- are you reporting your opinions in the post-cruise surveys? I hope so-- that is the only meaningful way to provide feedback to Princess and hopefully provoke changes to the extent that changes are needed.

My last cruise was 15 months ago, so I don't have current data (although I will soon :D), but if the food quality has in fact deteriorated Princess needs to hear about that. I hope that if they receive significant feedback they will act on it. But we have to provide that feedback to Princess, and not just gripe to one another.

I provided feedback using the on-line survey, however, I found that the survey is designed to be completed quickly with minimal opportunity for thoughtful feedback. With all of the onboard emphasis on the importance of a very high rating, I expect that Princess tends to get the results they want. Additionally, I sent a separate e-mail with more detailed comments.

On two cruises in 2012. Star in July and Pacific Princess in December. The difference between the food quality were significant. Loved the food on the Pacific Princess and couldn't stomach the food on the Star which in my opinion was the worse I had ever experienced on Princess. Go figure -like many have said, it probably is related more to the Chef than the menu. Or perhaps the number of guests? Who knows but what I can say, I will never sail on the Star again!

The food tends to be better on the smaller ships. They don't have thousands to prepare for and it seems like it's better when they have fewer to cook for. BTW. my son said he is seriously thinking about trying a different cruise line to see if the food is any better. He wasn't too happy with it either.

The coffee bar..NOW there is a problem. Usually ONE person worked there. Passengers were always lined up. The one time I went, I stood in a long line, while a Mom and DAd..ordered very time consuming drinks for the One staff person to make..and then let all of their many children come up and get ditto special coffee drinks..and they were very picky..how many grains of cinnamon on top...THAT IS INFURIATING. I SPOKE OUT. THE GUY AT THE COFFEE BAR..GAVE ME A FREE LATTE WHICH I DID NOT REQUEST..WAS RUDE TO ME..I NEVER WENT BACK.

MORE STAFF. OR ONE DRINK PER PASSENGER. IF YOU WANT A SPECIAL LATTEE STAND IN LINE WITH THE REST OF US.

Other than that......Loved the cruise. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

I noticed on the Golden' date=' there was often a line for the coffee at the IC. I usually went there for the cookies or desserts. Did have a wait once as the worker was futzing with replacing the soup. Fortunately, one worker saw me and asked if I was waiting for a sweet. She served me the goodies I wanted.[/quote']

On the Grand two weeks ago I never saw fewer than four or five baristas on duty every time I went by the IC. They would take your beverage order and tell you to have a seat. They did not ask to see your cruise card until after bringing your coffee out to you, returning later with the chit for you to sign. Worked out fine by me. But on the food counter there was never more than one person working even during the morning rush (right after the MDR closed its door at 9:30). Every time somone ordered the egg muffin sandwich (which made McDonalds' seem gourmet by comparsion--muffin dry as sawdust, and don't ask if they have any butter or other spread at the IC unless you want your head bitten off) the server had to go get one out of the refrigerator all the way against the back wall of the kitchen. Obviously the revenue-producing section got the proper priority on this ship.

After our last cruise, which was our 31st Princess cruise, we are looking elsewhere. We are deciding quality vs. quantity. Do we want to cruise more with poor food and poor service, or do we want to cruise less with excellent food and stellar service.

It really makes me sad that Princess has fallen so much. I was called a Princess cheerleader at one time, but I am afraid that is true no more.

After our last cruise, which was our 31st Princess cruise, we are looking elsewhere. We are deciding quality vs. quantity. Do we want to cruise more with poor food and poor service, or do we want to cruise less with excellent food and stellar service.

It really makes me sad that Princess has fallen so much. I was called a Princess cheerleader at one time, but I am afraid that is true no more.

So many complaints, it is truly amazing. You do not like something, please email or write or call Princess. You can also post your comments on Princess's facebook page.

I also never had a bad meal on Princess. Of course, there are some I liked more than others...

As for you hmh60, be prepared to pay triple the fares if you are looking for a luxury line. If you are just looking elsewhere, all of the mass market lines have gone through cutbacks. So, you may just want to cruise once every three years, instead of three times a year, that is your choice.

O

The hamburger was definitely a low quality meat. I used to like the burgers and on the first day I had one on the Grand and it was so bad I couldn't finish it.

I had a hamburger last summer on the Star and texture and flavor was so off as to make me wonder: what exactly is ground up in this thing? Pure beef byproducts? It must have been the lowest grade possible.

I had a hamburger last summer on the Star and texture and flavor was so off as to make me wonder: what exactly is ground up in this thing? Pure beef byproducts? It must have been the lowest grade possible.

Oddly enough the hamburgers I ate at the Trident Grill on Ruby Princess last month were some of the best food I had on the ship the entire week aside from the meal at Sabatini's, the Shrimp Salad at the International Cafe, and one dinner at the Caribe Cafe. Most everything else was just plain average, looked better than it tasted, or just not good including the pizza (which everyone raves about) and just about everything at the International Cafe and Horizon Court.

Hoping the food on Royal Princess is better...:cool:

We are taking our first cruise, and I am not liking what I'm hearing here.

I thought that taking a cruise was about relaxing and enjoying fantastic fine food? Quality, not quantity is what interests me.

For the money that we spend for this vacation, I am not interested in eating hamburgers at the buffett because the food in the dining rooms is poor. And paying extra in the specialty restaurants isn't the solution.

If the food isn't good, my first cruise may be my last!

Here's hoping Princess hasn't gone to far with there cut backs.

If you fall off of the bike you don't quit trying. You get back on the bike until you get it right. If Princess Cruises doesn't end up meeting your expectations try another line like Celebrity or Royal Caribbean.

As mediocre as my cruise experience was on Ruby Princess last month I am still booked on the new Royal Princess for December. I'm hoping that with this brand new flagship Princess will pull out all of the stops and it will be nothing short of superb. And I am expecting nothing less.

If my Royal Princess cruise falls short, then I'll see my way back to Allure of the Seas again or one of the Solstice-class ships in 2014.

But I'm not going to simply give up.

Have a GREAT cruise! :D

I thought that taking a cruise was about relaxing and enjoying fantastic fine food? Quality, not quantity is what interests me.

For the money that we spend for this vacation, I am not interested in eating hamburgers at the buffett because the food in the dining rooms is poor. And paying extra in the specialty restaurants isn't the solution.

Don't worry... There is always something great to eat... Don't forget to go to the International Cafe... But if you are expecting five star quality, you will not get it on any mass market lines. If you are looking for this, I would suggest you change your booking to a luxury line...

If you fall off of the bike you don't quit trying. You get back on the bike until you get it right. If Princess Cruises doesn't end up meeting your expectations try another line like Celebrity or Royal Caribbean.

As mediocre as my cruise experience was on Ruby Princess last month I am still booked on the new Royal Princess for December. I'm hoping that with this brand new flagship Princess will pull out all of the stops and it will be nothing short of superb. And I am expecting nothing less.

If my Royal Princess cruise falls short, then I'll see my way back to Allure of the Seas again or one of the Solstice-class ships in 2014.

But I'm not going to simply give up.

Have a GREAT cruise! :D

No giving up, but I understand that Celebrity and Royal Caribbean have also made many cutbacks on food. So, if food is so important to you, I would suggest Silverseas or Seabourn ...

No giving up, but I understand that Celebrity and Royal Caribbean have also made many cutbacks on food. So, if food is so important to you, I would suggest Silverseas or Seabourn ...

The four most recent cruises just prior to Ruby Princess (1-RCI and 3-Celebrity) had great food and the most amazing specialty restaurants I've ever seen (Allure of the Seas). Chops, 150 Central Park, and Vintages beat anything I had on Ruby Princess by a mile. And I don't need to pay Silversea or Seabourn prices to get great food. ;)

Wow Mom, you started something here!

I can tell everyone that constructive feedback was left on the survey by all of us (we had 3 cabins in total).

Dare I say anything about the cutbacks in entertainment and activities??? (By the way, the British Invasion show was great, but short)

Never sailed on Princess but people were saying the same about food on Celebrity... contrary to what I had heard, the food on the Celebrity Summit was excellent! I think some people just cannot be pleased and will whine about any and everything!

It's been a long time since I've read about people going on a cruise for "fine dining". At least not on the mass market lines. :)

if you are expecting five star quality, you will not get it on any mass market lines. If you are looking for this, I would suggest you change your booking to a luxury line...

Totally agree. Don't go to a 3 star restaurant expecting 5 star dining.

Really no different than going to a 3 star resort in Mexico compared to a 5 star in St Lucia.

Cruise for the food? Hmmm I am a good cook but I have to plan it, shop for it, prepare it, cook it and clean up after it....any sea day is fine by me. The food is only part of the picture but honestly I have never had a problem finding something I liked...and I still love Princess best...so far

Sue

I found the food to be excellent on the both the Caribbean Princess and the Golden Princess. But I have to say the we've had our share of not so good cabin stewarts but we did all the issues resolved on the cruises (this was on the Caribbean Princess) but on the Golden, it was nothing less than excellent.

It is not Princess - but this guy named Stewart.

Every time I see his name, there is a service complaint attached.

Anytime you board a ship and meet a crewmember named Stewart, you should run the other way.

Anytime you board a ship and meet a crewmember named Stewart, you should run the other way.

Off topic... Bruce - you started a thread on another board about your adventures during Christmas. I was away for a few days, but found it had been deleted when I got back!! So, what happened there??

It's been a long time since I've read about people going on a cruise for "fine dining". At least not on the mass market lines. :)

I did expect something close to fine dining in Sabatini and Crown Grille. We are accustomed to paying extra for good food and service on the mass market lines - IMO that is a reasonable expectation.

Cruise for the food? Hmmm I am a good cook but I have to plan it, shop for it, prepare it, cook it and clean up after it....any sea day is fine by me. The food is only part of the picture but honestly I have never had a problem finding something I liked...and I still love Princess best...so far

Sue

I'm with Sue. I have no complaints about the food, and even with the "new menu" some don't like, I find something to eat. So far, I can still find my default MDR dinner (shrimp cocktail, salmon, vanilla ice cream) when there is nothing else on the menu I want to try.

You don't have to rely on burgers at the buffet. There is a variety of foods to eat at the buffet and we have enjoyed meals there when ever the dining room menu doesn't appeal to us.

There are so many variables to consider when it comes to food preferences, preparation, and quality. The bigger the ships get, the intimacy of fine dining suffers because the ships have 3000-4000 people to feed. You will never please everyone on a ship this size.

I have never gone hungry on a Princess ship. If I don't like what I am served, I speak up and get something else. I don't come here to CC to complain. I let the head chef and Maitre D know immediately. That solves my problem and gives them a heads up to some problem in the galley.

I see similar complaints about every line the OP has sailed. Just spend some time on their boards and you will see the same threads over and over.

:)

I agree....spelling drives me NUTS!

Archived