Flight help!!!

jaclynmn2277

Hi Everyone need some help here. We booked an amazing cruise for Mid March so it is "Spring Break" time, and I have been looking nonstop everyday and the flights to Miami are $700-800 a person!!! :eek: The only cheaper ones leave at 7/8/9 AM and with the boat getting in at 8AM none of those will work obviously. This is insane as anytime I have been to Miami it's about $300-350 on the high side. Time is running out to book since it's only about 2 months away. Does anyone have any insights as to spring break flight specials or if the flights will go down in price at all? I'm really stressing out as we don't have $1500-1600 for flights when we budgeted about half of that. Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

I looked into that as well, but with it being a Sunday return flight if we spent the night the price goes up so it's not cheap like it is on Saturday. I also looked into flying into Ft Lauderdale, or Palm Beach and driving to Miami. Around the same price. So I'm hoping the prices drop or that some kind of Spring Break flight specials come up otherwise I'm not sure we will be able to go. Very stressful!

Have you checked Ft Laud. and/or W Palm beach airports for better fares? Edited to add: Sorry, we posted at same time about alt. airports. You can always stretch further and look at Orlando...4-5 hour drive, but may be worth it.

I have seen several posts over the last few weeks that are similar to yours.

In my experince flight prices have gone UP and not down the closer we get to the sail date especially during that time of year. Have yet to see a special. I wouldn't count on them going down. Even IF they do, I highly doubt is it going to be a significant price drop.

I know that is a VERY moot point, but just something to think about the next time around. We like to look at flight prices (along with everything else) BEFORE booking a cruise just to ensure the prices for everything (flight, hotel, cruise...etc) fall within our budget.

This year, we have paid a little over $100 more per person for similar flights that we took last year.

Anyways, good luck!

Hi Everyone need some help here. We booked an amazing cruise for Mid March so it is "Spring Break" time, and I have been looking nonstop everyday and the flights to Miami are $700-800 a person!!! :eek: The only cheaper ones leave at 7/8/9 AM and with the boat getting in at 8AM none of those will work obviously. This is insane as anytime I have been to Miami it's about $300-350 on the high side. Time is running out to book since it's only about 2 months away. Does anyone have any insights as to spring break flight specials or if the flights will go down in price at all? I'm really stressing out as we don't have $1500-1600 for flights when we budgeted about half of that. Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

You haven't said where you're flying from/to?? As others have said, check out surrounding airports both coming and going. And you should check out prices for flights 1 to 2 days before and after the cruise. Even staying over in motels would be cheaper than paying those prices. Also, have you tried ChoiceAir? They do frequently have cheaper flights although usually more so for international.

If you live within a 2 day drive of Miami, you may want to consider driving. Again, even with overnights on the road and meals, it would be cheaper.

Good luck

Think of it this way. If lots of people want the same thing, and there is a finite number of that same thing, why would prices go down? There are no "spring break" specials; airlines are flying full and lots of people head to Florida for vacation. Doubtful you will see better prices then you see now. You waited too long to get a good price as the lower fare classes are sold out.

You provided no information, such as dates or routing, or how many tickets you need, but I see from your other posts your cruise dates are 16 Mar - 23 Mar. I am assuming you want to fly from MSP?

Your outbound flight to MIA isn't a problem, there are pretty good prices for that; it's your return that's expensive. I don't see any flights, with times that would work for you for those dates/routing for under ~$571 RT. Even looking at changing the return to the 24th, or looking at FLL or PB I, doesn't really decrease the price. And for those who would suggest you check Southwest, their prices are even higher.

Thanks for the insight guys. Yes we have made our final payment, and unfortunately cannot change the date as my boyfriend is in school getting his MBA and this is when Spring Break is. Yes flying from MSP to MIA. Cruise is March 16th-23rd. I have looked into coming in the day before/leaving the day after no luck at all. I have alerts set as well. Also can't drive since with him being in school he isn't able to take any days off and we would have to add 3-4 days onto the trip to drive there and back from MN. Any other insights or ideas that you guys have would be great. I'm desperate here! THANK YOU!

Is there a specific reason why it needs to be non-stop? Also, sorry, but is your cruise leaving from Miami or Port Everglades? Even so, if you don't mind flying into Fort Lauderedale, there are non-stop flights for $417, leaving Friday and then leaving Saturday night at 9:30PM... When does your cruise arrive back in Miami on the 23rd? I am finding flights for $580 round trip leaving at 7PM on the 23rd. A lot more then $350, but less then 700

Sorry OP, there isn't anything I find, for your dates and routing with times that would work for you under ~$571 RT (on UA). I've looked at FLL, MIA, PBI combinations and changed dates. That's the best price I see. You are going to have to bite the bullet on this unless you get very lucky.

If you are willing to have a bit of a short sleep in the airport and on the plane for thursday night, here is your cheapest flight that you will get with only 1 night hotel stay (friday night). This flight is $417 after tax (CAD, might be slightly more in USD)

Depart Fri, Mar 15 MSP to FLL – nonstop 3h 30m

Spirit Airlines – Flight 597 3h 30m

Take-off Fri 1:15a MSP Minneapolis, MN

Landing Fri 5:45a FLL Fort Lauderdale, FL

Airbus A319 (Narrow-body Jet) | 3h 30m | 1488 miles | 4 seats remain

Return Sat, Mar 23 FLL to MSP – nonstop 3h 45m

Spirit Airlines – Flight 596 3h 45m

Take-off Sat 9:30p FLL Fort Lauderdale, FL

Landing Sun 12:15a MSP Minneapolis, MN

Airbus A319 (Narrow-body Jet) | 3h 45m | 1488 miles | 4 seats remain

If you are willing to have a bit of a short sleep in the airport and on the plane for thursday night, here is your cheapest flight that you will get with only 1 night hotel stay (friday night). This flight is $417 after tax (CAD, might be slightly more in USD)

Spirit Airlines – Flight 597 3h 30m

Take-off Fri 1:15a MSP Minneapolis, MN

Landing Fri 5:45a FLL Fort Lauderdale, FL

Airbus A319 (Narrow-body Jet) | 3h 30m | 1488 miles | 4 seats remain

Return Sat, Mar 23 FLL to MSP – nonstop 3h 45m

Spirit Airlines – Flight 596 3h 45m

Take-off Sat 9:30p FLL Fort Lauderdale, FL

Landing Sun 12:15a MSP Minneapolis, MN

Airbus A319 (Narrow-body Jet) | 3h 45m | 1488 miles | 4 seats remain

Please keep in mind that Spirit has no interline agreement with any other airline. That means if there's a problem, they won't pay to place you on a flight on another airline. You'll have to wait for an open seat on their planes. They also have limited schedules. I would never choose Spirit to get to a cruise.

The suggestion above is cheaper, then the $571 fare I found, but then you need to add the cost of getting from Miami to FLL and back, and the cost of spending the day in Ft. Lauderdale on Sat.

Whatever you decide OP, please fly in the day before your cruise.

Along with checking prices, check the seating availability for the flights you're looking at. If the planes are close to full, you probably won't see much of or any price drop. If at least half to two-thirds of the seats aren't filled yet, there may still be hope. You may have to seek out the help of a travel agent to try and find something that would work for you. Hint: Take the first letter of the alphabet and multiply by three. Good luck!

What time of day and what day are you looking at fares?? Have you looked after Midnight on Tuesday into Wednesday morning?? That is when airlines dump seats, you might get lucky and find something a bit cheaper.

A rule of thumb is to start looking at fares 5 months out....watch the trends and get set to book about 3 months out. Otherwise you might find yourself looking at very expensive flights.

Have you thought about getting the airline credit card? You'll at least get a discount on the booking price. You can then cancel before you have to start paying the annual fee. That might be another option.

Have you checked Allegiant Air? http://www2.allegiantair.com/

We're using them in June. The only fly on certain days of the week and we'll have to drive about an hour to get to the airport, and stay an extra night in FL, but it STILL comes out cheaper than any othe airline that I've checked.

I actually took my 1st flight with Allegiant Air a couple years ago...and I was hooked instantly on flying.

Good Luck with your search!

Are you absolutely sure that your boyfriend's professors are so stonehearted as to not allow him just a bit of leeway here. I went to college for a long, long time and never ever had a professor who wasn't a decent sort.

Have you checked Minneapolis to Chicago's airports and then onto Florida?

Another possibility...Minneapolis to JFK, La Guardia or Newark and then lots of flights to Florida.

Have you considered Minneapolis to Atlanta and renting a car one -way to Miami r Fort L:auderdale? It is an inexpensive transfer from Fort Lauderdale's airport to the pier in Miami so I would not worry about this.

Good luck

Also do not lock yourself into just round trip on one airline. Our trip was cheaper by using one way down on AA. Then return on Jet Blue with a one way. Same airport two airlines. Used orbits to get prices them booked direct with airlines..

Thanks for the insight guys. Yes we have made our final payment, and unfortunately cannot change the date as my boyfriend is in school getting his MBA and this is when Spring Break is. Yes flying from MSP to MIA. Cruise is March 16th-23rd. I have looked into coming in the day before/leaving the day after no luck at all. I have alerts set as well. Also can't drive since with him being in school he isn't able to take any days off and we would have to add 3-4 days onto the trip to drive there and back from MN. Any other insights or ideas that you guys have would be great. I'm desperate here! THANK YOU!

I think we are on the same cruise!! We are on Carnival's Liberty leaving Saturday March 16 and returning the 23rd. We live in KC and have had the same exact problem. I've been checking airfare since September and haven't been able to find anything that would work for us for under $700 (and there are three of us, thats $2100).

We had finally decided that we would fly one way and do a one way rental for the other. And then I thought I would try to name my own price on priceline. Of course you have to fly the day before and stay an extra night (leave Friday the 15th and come home the Sunday the 24th) - My bid wasn't accepted the first time and then a couple days later I tried again. This time I selected to use nearby airports in FL (West Palm and Fort Lauderdale). I ended up getting round trip flights for $400 going to West Palm.

After our airfare bids were accepted I named our own price on hotels ($50 each night so $100). We are renting a standard size car from Budget when we get to the airport ($47 using a coupon code). Then next morning we will drive to the Budget location right by the pier (I was told that Budget will give us a complimentary ride to the Miami Pier) and we're doing the same thing on Saturday when we get back (call Budget for a pick up, rent the car, drive to West Palm, spend the night at a West Palm hotel, and drop car off at Budget's airport location in West Palm Beach.

This wouldn't have been my first choice (or even second or third) but we're going to make it work AND more importantly we are just happy that we are fortunate enough to go on vacation when so many other people are losing their jobs/houses. No matter what happens WE WILL ENJOY THIS AND ROLL WITH THE PUNCHES.

Good luck!!

Congratulations on your travel planning. One comment here but in not in any way negative. Keep in mind that the Priceline hotels may give you less than desirable rooms, that is, do not expect the best rooms in the hotel for what you are paying. Hopefully though you will get nice rooms.

Also, be prepared for last minute surprises. I remember getting an outstanding price on Priceline for a hotel. Two surprises...parking was expensive valet and there was no other parking available. The second was a Resort Fee, which I was able to get taken off the bill.

I am not suggesting that these will happen to you, but that you are prepared for them.

Have a great cruise.

Archived