Ultimate Cruise Snob Stories

nhcruiser

I was on the Royal Clipper some years ago.. I am a diver, so I wear a relatively inexpensive dive watch because I am constantly losing them. One night after dinner over drinks, the husbands of the couples we were hanging out with were comparing diamond studded Rolexes. They made an obvious point to politely ignore my Seiko dive watch. It was amusing. My wife kept waiting for me to brandish my Seiko in front of them. I resisted the temptation.

I would have a nice chuckle to myself if I had been there for that. I am a watch collector and the funny thing is any person with real knowledge of watches would not be caught dead wearing a diamond studded Rolex.:D I would much rather wear a Seiko diver than that blinged out stuff.

I have enjoyed this thread so much! I am kind of shocked no one mentioned "tea time". I have been so upset by the tea snobs I will not attend any more, I love the snack and quiet time but have had several clearly snobbish and nasty inquisitions that I now go to the buffet for my afternoon tea!

We stayed on the ship one day at port and went to one of the pools. I was in the pool relaxing and in came a woman with a baby in diapers...and not even swim diapers. It kinda freaked me out cause I sure did not want to get sick during the cruise. And there were signs everywhere saying no kids in diapers. I got out and went to my chair and decided to go talk to a pool steward. He went and talked to the lady and she got out of the pool and made a call on her cell phone. After the call she just went and got back in the pool. I did not want to make a huge deal about it but it really bothered me. Later on during the cruise I saw the Captain introducing his wife to some of the passengers. Yes the woman in the pool was the Captains Wife.

Little off topic but many years ago I worked at a kids camp in the summer. At the camp we had a pool and taught swimming. I once was at the pool during the upkeep and spoke with the guy who did it. He told me that a normal public pool need a half cup of some chemical to counter act uric acid, at our pool he but in 3 cups a day. I never got in the pool again and understood why we called the shallow end yellow water:rolleyes:

Older now with kids and have had all the bodily fluids on me, don't freak out as much as I once did.

More "ugly American" than snob , but on an excursion in Belize . . .the guide pointed out some expensive riverfront homes. A tourist asked the guide how much the houses cost. When told "$200,000" he replied "that's cheap." Not cheap in relation to the average income in Belize.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

I will join you as a low rent snob... and i havent even sailed on Princess! But i do have Gold status on Cunnard. Does that count for anything? LOL

How else can the majority afford all the cruises if we dont work hard and save our money by buying sale items? Or do i live in a fools paradise?

shazz

Alas, I am just Silver on Cunard. :( I must row with the other slaves. ;)

Living in north-central West Virgina has some advantages. Last year during the seasonal close-out of summer apparel, when they switched from normal short sleeved button down and polo shirts to camouflage and long sleeved flannel, I snagged around 30 brand new shirts, all at $5 each. And all were very nice, several perfect for a Caribbean cruise with themes or patterns fit for a relaxing vacation. I was pretty happy! :D

I still have a Alf watch complete with a fuzzy long nose. Remember Alf?:rolleyes:

Yes, he liked cats. ;) Haaa! I kill me. (his catchphrase)

ALF: [about Lucky the pet cat] Last time I saw him he was high-tailing it out the window.

Willie: And why was that?

ALF: Cause I was chasing him with a fork.

ALF.jpg

I would have a nice chuckle to myself if I had been there for that. I am a watch collector and the funny thing is any person with real knowledge of watches would not be caught dead wearing a diamond studded Rolex.:D I would much rather wear a Seiko diver than that blinged out stuff.

Wow..all the watch stories! I did not realize I started something here! Maybe I should break out my old G Shock dive watch!! I DO wish I had the GOOFY watch! Batman would be cool too.

Our snob/boor story.

Some background. While born here both my and DW parents were Ukrainian immigrants and we learned the language. Not a very common language and hasn’t been of much use in travelling (except of course in Ukraine) until recently. Last 3 or 4 years seeing a lot more Ukrainian staff on Princess Cruises and we often surprise them by striking up a conversation in Ukrainian.

These employees are often very well educated (including Masters University Degrees in Sciences , Arts etc.) but a Stewards pay on Princess is better than what they can earn in Ukraine.

Recently we were on a T/A. Always take anytime dining table for 2. First several nights we were seated at several different tables. 4th night we were again at a new table. Close to us was a table for 8, and very soon we couldn’t help but notice one woman at that table was exceptionally loud and boorish. Monopolizing the conversation, complaining about the food and service etc.

We were also quite close to the waiter station in that area. The assistant waitresses at both our table and the 8 table were from Ukraine, and we overheard them conversing about the boor, laughingly calling her “The Donkey.”

I asked our assistant waitress to call over the other girl and, in Ukrainian, said something like“I've overheard you talking about that lady, and it’s disrespectful.”

They of course looked shocked, and a little frightened, until I continued “She’s older than you, don’t you know it’s Mrs. Donkey”.

We reserved that table for the rest of the cruise and every night we would greet and converse with the 2 servers in Ukrainian, always inquiring if “Mrs Donkey” had said anything exceptionally stupid that evening. She almost always had, and it became an amusing part of the trip.

Some posters suggest it’s stupid to let the presence of rude or boorish people ruin your trip-actually sometimes they can add to it, although I probably would have felt differently if I had to sit at Mrs. Donkeys table.

Everyone should own a Rolex. A friend of mine got robbed in Italy. The robber took his Rolex and fled, never paid attention to friend's camera or wallet. That Rolex was a gift from his wife, bought from China for about $15.

Try to imagine Foxworthy's voice:

If you go out of your way to check the colour of someone else's cruise card, you just might be a snob.

If you go out of your way to make sure others see the colour of your cruise card, you just might be a snob.

If you feel you have to comment on the correct way of placing or using tableware, you just might be a snob.

If you feel you have to tell staff how to do their job, you just might be a snob.

If you don't love Godwin, you just might be a snob.

If you have to tell others you have a full suite, you just might be a snob.

If you've ever said "oh, you just have an inside cabin", you just might be a snob.

If you have to make sure everyone sees your jewelry/watch, you just might be a snob.

If you have to tell others you're friends with (name celebrity or ship's officer), you just might be a snob.

If you have to tell others you're going to the Captain's most-travelled function, you just might be a snob.

If you have to tell someone else they don't belong in the Elite line, you just might be a snob.

If you have to reserve a bunch of prime seats for the show, you just might be a snob.

If you have to comment that others aren't wearing tuxes in the MDR, you just might be a snob.

If you have to tell others to move because they're blocking your view, you just might be a snob.

If you hold deck chairs for hours on end without using them, well....

If you feel you can smoke whatever and wherever you damn well please, you just might be a snob.

If you have to remind others that you know everything about a particular subject, you just might be a snob.

If you lost at trivia and need to blame it on something rather than just having a good time, you just might be a snob.

If your posts on CC end with "Tapatalk" even though you know how to turn it off in settings, you just might be a snob.

If you feel others must get off an elevator to make room for you, you just might be a snob.

If you feel others should see you or your kids as God's gift, you just might be a snob.

If others routinely see your nostrils, you just might be a snob.

If you don't agree that Pam in CA is one of the most sensible posters on CC, you just might be a snob.

If you've read a description of yourself in the CC snob thread, ...

This thread has been great reading so guess it is time for my story. We were waiting in the theatre I think row 2 waiting to be called for an excursion. An officer started to call us by row and requested all to follow in a certain pattern (by row as people had come in) and repeated to a man in a farther up spot to wait till his row was called. As we were just getting to the top of the stairway he and his wife started to cut in front of us. I said Sir the officer asked you to wait your turn. He replied "No one tells me what to do" I replied 'That is rude and inconsiderate" reply was to whom and I said everyone here who is following the officers directions. He nastily continued on his way and his wife, head ducked down followed him in apparant embarassment.

I don't mind sharing certain details in a conversation with a regular person, but not a snob. Since they can't pre-qualify you by your neighborhood or the car you drive, cruise snobs want to know your loyalty program status, where you are from, and what you do as a qualifier to determine if you are worthy of further conversation. Tell them this is your first cruise, you're a plumber, and you live in Yazoo City and see how they react. You can bet that it'll be different than if you say you are elite, you're the CEO of an offshore manufacturing company, and you live in Beverly Hills.

If you're a regular Joe and sidle up to the bar for a beer, we'll have a conversation. But if you're a cruise snob all wrapped up in the thin veil of a loyalty program status that means zip on land, we'll have a different and very short conversation.

I don't have much time for braggarts, blowhards, cruise snobs, and people who abuse the hired help.

Where is the like button. Meet you at the pool bar in the near future.

Andrew

If you go out of your way to check the colour of someone else's cruise card, you just might be a snob.

If you go out of your way to make sure others see the colour of your cruise card, you just might be a snob.

If you feel you have to comment on the correct way of placing or using tableware, you just might be a snob.

If you feel you have to tell staff how to do their job, you just might be a snob.

If you've ever said "oh, you just have an inside cabin", you just might be a snob.

If you have to make sure everyone sees your jewelry/watch, you just might be a snob.

If you have to tell others you're friends with (name celebrity or ship's officer), you just might be a snob.

If you have to tell others you're going to the Captain's most-travelled function, you just might be a snob.

If you have to tell someone else they don't belong in the Elite line, you just might be a snob.

If you have to reserve a bunch of prime seats for the show, you just might be a snob.

If you have to comment that others aren't wearing tuxes in the MDR, you just might be a snob.

If you have to tell others to move because they're blocking your view, you just might be a snob.

If you feel you can smoke whatever and wherever you damn well please, you just might be a snob.

If you have to remind others that you know everything about a particular subject, you just might be a snob.

If you lost at trivia and need to blame it on something rather than just having a good time, you just might be a snob.

If your posts on CC end with "Tapatalk" even though you know how to turn it off in settings, you just might be a snob.

If you feel others must get off an elevator to make room for you, you just might be a snob.

If you feel others should see you or your kids as God's gift, you just might be a snob.

If you don't agree that Pam in CA is one of the most sensible posters on CC, you just might be a snob.

Awesome!!!:D:D:D

If you have the time and energy to make up a long list of Foxworthy quotes, you might be a .....

"If you have to make sure everyone sees your jewelry/watch, you just might be a snob."

I use my late mothers Judith Leiber bag on formal nights... Its in the shape of a bull dog, it only comes out for formal night on cruises.... I hope it doesnt make me a snob.. I did receive several compliments on our last cruise

In my youth was employed in the hospitality industry and found the nicest

people were those that had always had the best of everything.

Those that had come into wealth at a later time were the true snobs.

On the ships its the same in a way some folks pretend they are who they are not. While those that have never been in need go about their business in a quiet way and are most humble and respectful towards all guests and employees on ship.

:eek: WTHeck? I just recently downloaded the tapatalk. I didn't realize it leaves a signature...and i don't know how to turn it off...

but, also, how is that snobby? Because it's from a smart phone? :confused:

I promise my smart phone has no Rolex-ish bling. No diamonds, no Swarovsky crystals, it's not an iphone, and I swear it has dings and scratches! I don't even have a screen protector on it, nor is it insured!

:p ;) :D

"If you have to make sure everyone sees your jewelry/watch, you just might be a snob."

I use my late mothers Judith Leiber bag on formal nights... Its in the shape of a bull dog, it only comes out for formal night on cruises.... I hope it doesnt make me a snob.. I did receive several compliments on our last cruise

No it doesn't - that's why I qualified a lot of things with "if you HAVE to .."

:eek: WTHeck? I just recently downloaded the tapatalk. I didn't realize it leaves a signature...and i don't know how to turn it off...

but, also, how is that snobby? Because it's from a smart phone? :confused:

I promise my smart phone has no Rolex-ish bling. No diamonds, no Swarovsky crystals, it's not an iphone, and I swear it has dings and scratches! I don't even have a screen protector on it, nor is it insured!

:p ;) :D

You gotta read the whole thread for the tapatalk discussion. I also qualified that comment with "even though you know how to turn it off in settings" :)

You gotta read the whole thread for the tapatalk discussion. I also qualified that comment with "even though you know how to turn it off in settings" :)

Yes, I know. although I didn't know there was a tapatalk thread. I wouldn't have known what tapatalk was until my email told me to get it.

I actually wanted to know how to turn it off.

But, really? Why is that snobbish, unless of course you are either the author of the program, or the wife/husband of the programmer...and use people's signatures as an excuse to brag about that.

I think the two above may be largely responsible for the origination of this thread along with "being invited to dine with the ship's officers, blah, blah"

Mike;)

Yes, I know. although I didn't know there was a tapatalk thread. I wouldn't have known what tapatalk was until my email told me to get it.

I actually wanted to know how to turn it off.

But, really? Why is that snobbish, unless of course you are either the author of the program, or the wife/husband of the programmer...and use people's signatures as an excuse to brag about that.

I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to be inflamatory. I LOVED your list. If the consensus is that having tapatalk in one's signature is considered boorish, I'd like to know how to turn it off. I did do a search for the thread, but when you search tapatalk, you get every thread that has it in the signature.

It's really hard to not commit what some percieve as "faux pas" and while I'm not trying to please everyone with an opinion...I do like to try to keep up with the general consensus.

If the consensus is that having tapatalk in one's signature is considered boorish, I'd like to know how to turn it off.

Don't take it personally, it is basically an automatic advertisement by tapatalk.

Not any different than "sent from my iPhone" or the great combination of "sent from my iPhone using tapatalk".

On one e-mail I received recently from an overseas friend: Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPad

Archived