Pearl Harbor

stunned

I'm a big fan of the local public transport - TheBus. I have travelled the whole of Oahu using it.

Very efficient, clean, and inexpensive.

Their web site has all the routes.

Pearl Harbor is very interesting - and moving.

Hope this helps :)

I'm a big fan of the local public transport - TheBus. I have travelled the whole of Oahu using it.

Very efficient, clean, and inexpensive.

Their web site has all the routes.

Pearl Harbor is very interesting - and moving.

Hope this helps :)

I agree that going to Pearl Harbor using The Bus is a good way to get there. From the Aloha Tower pier it's about a 10 minute walk to the bus stop & it's only a couple minutes walk to get to the PH visitor's center. The last time it was $2.50 per person and they required exact change when you get on the bus.

Instead of getting a ticket at the visitor center you can pre-reserve a time through their website & for $1.50 per ticket it will probably save you time.

http://www.nps.gov/valr/planyourvisit/index.htm

We thoroughly enjoyed the tour offered by "Home of the Brave Tours". It took us to Pearl Harbor, then to most of the bases where attacks occurred, as well as Punch Bowl Cemetary. Our tour was through Princess, so I don't know if your ship will offer it, but, if not, it would be worth checking to see if you can book it directly.

Very advisable to reserve your tickets in advance. Otherwise all tours may be full for the day when you arrive, and you will no get to see the movie and go to the USS Arizona. And you have to pick up your tickets one hour in advance or your tickets will be given away.

If visiting the USS Arizona is not in your plans, there is plenty of other interesting things to see at PH, there are two outstanding museum exhibits,plus the Bowfin, and you can also go to Ford Island for the USS Missouri, and the Pacific Aviation Museum.

If taking http://www.TheBus.org you can get a #20 which will let you off right at the PH area.

Thanks all, is it necessary to get tickets ahead of time?

Judy

It's not required but a good option to pre-book which has only available within the past year or so. Long delays or even having none available would be possible without a reservation. We went during a slow time after Thanksgiving & arrived before 10 o'clock prior to reservations being an option & had about a 45 minute wait.

This is why I suggested a shuttle tour company, sit back and enjoy.

Guess some of us would prefer to pay $5 roundtrip on The Bus instead of $9.99 for the shuttle link you suggested.

And it's very doubtful that anyone wants to go to a Waikiki to get that shuttle..."Pick-ups are limited to Waikiki Hotels Only".

I'm sure you are already aware that you need to pick up your tickets one hour before the ticket time. There are still walk-up tickets available everyday but they are on a first come, first served basis (in case you miss your pick up time). My husband missed his ticket pick up time in November because of traffic but was able to get one of the available tickets. There are many shuttles available and I know I have seen reviews here of passengers using them, not having to travel to Waikiki hotels. While you may want to take the bus back you may want to consider a shuttle to Pearl Harbor to eliminate any stress regarding time. I also like the bus, but when in Honolulu would rather limit the time it takes me to get around. For a 2 hour difference in travel time I would rather spend the $20, JMO. If you are there on Wednesday, Saturday, or Sunday you can also include the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet, which is a short walk from PH. I hope you enjoy your day, Cherie

Thank you, we will take the bus ( I prefer the culture of public transportation ) and I ordered our passes. Thanks again for all the info

Judy

We too just got passes for PH, I think we are on same cruise 4/3 Century. Bus is a few blocks away, we might take taxi over and bus back - all dependent on time getting off ship.

We too just got passes for PH, I think we are on same cruise 4/3 Century. Bus is a few blocks away, we might take taxi over and bus back - all dependent on time getting off ship.

What time did you get your passes for?

Judy

We thoroughly enjoyed the tour offered by "Home of the Brave Tours". It took us to Pearl Harbor, then to most of the bases where attacks occurred, as well as Punch Bowl Cemetary. Our tour was through Princess, so I don't know if your ship will offer it, but, if not, it would be worth checking to see if you can book it directly.

We are also doing this tour through Princess. I know that Pearl Harbor restricts the items you can bring in...was it possible for you to leave a backpack/purse on the tour bus while you visited the USS Arizona?

Thanks!

We are also doing this tour through Princess. I know that Pearl Harbor restricts the items you can bring in...was it possible for you to leave a backpack/purse on the tour bus while you visited the USS Arizona?

Thanks!

There is a bag check facility to the right of the entrance at PH & while I don't know about that particular tour company other ones have allowed leaving items securely on the bus.

I just used Home of the Brave through princess. Excellent tour and our guide was a walking Pearl Harbor encyclopedia. I highly recommend them. I don't know if they book privately and tour on the pricey side. The winds were approaching 40 mph when we got to the Arizona and tour boats were "beached". So no trip to memorial. Guide offered to take us back to ship for full refund or he would "add" some sights. Well worth it. And to boot, princess gave us 40% discount for missing Arizona. Great tour with reputable outfit

How long does it take to get to PH if u take the bus---What would be the earliest we could schedule a tour?

sorry--one more ? Would we be better off renting a car or taking the bus--just wanted some suggestions.

Depending on which bus you take it generally takes about 45 to 60 minutes to get to Pearl Harbor. If you go to Bing maps and input those addresses I posted earlier in this discussion it will show you several bus routings based on the date and time you're interested in taking The Bus.

The last time we went to Pearl Harbor it was a slow time of the year for tourism in early December so it wasn't very busy. If you go to the National Park Service's website for Pearl Harbor it should be able to answer some your questions about reserving a ticket & times.

We were in no hurry to get to Pearl Harbor because it was the only thing we planned to do so The Bus worked well for us. On the way back to the ship my wife continued to Ala Moana shopping center and then returned via bus to the ship later.

An option you may consider is to take a cab from the pier to Pearl Harbor and then to take a bus back to the ship or to shop at Ala Moana. We considered this option and as I recall from others who have posted the cab ride was about $30 but may be worthwhile if you want to see more things during the day.

While at Pearl Harbor I've enjoyed a visit to the USS Missouri and they also have the submarine Bowfin available to tour. There's a fee for both of these as well as an aviation museum on Ford Island so there are additional options when visiting Pearl Harbor.

Depending on which bus you take it generally takes about 45 to 60 minutes to get to Pearl Harbor. If you go to Bing maps and input those addresses I posted earlier in this discussion it will show you several bus routings based on the date and time you're interested in taking The Bus.

The last time we went to Pearl Harbor it was a slow time of the year for tourism in early December so it wasn't very busy. If you go to the National Park Service's website for Pearl Harbor it should be able to answer some your questions about reserving a ticket & times.

We were in no hurry to get to Pearl Harbor because it was the only thing we planned to do so The Bus worked well for us. On the way back to the ship my wife continued to Ala Moana shopping center and then returned via bus to the ship later.

An option you may consider is to take a cab from the pier to Pearl Harbor and then to take a bus back to the ship or to shop at Ala Moana. We considered this option and as I recall from others who have posted the cab ride was about $30 but may be worthwhile if you want to see more things during the day.

While at Pearl Harbor I've enjoyed a visit to the USS Missouri and they also have the submarine Bowfin available to tour. There's a fee for both of these as well as an aviation museum on Ford Island so there are additional options when visiting Pearl Harbor.

WOW! Great information here in this thread! :)

For as long as I can remember...I have always felt the desire AND need to go to Pearl Harbor (trying to cross off things on my bucket list) :eek:

I just returned from a Transatlantic on Celebrity Constellation and visited the Normandy Beaches. WOW...what an experience to behold!!

My next adventure is to the Hawaiian Islands and Pearl Harbor!

Thanks for all the great information here.

If anyone has any further great ideas etc...shoot them my way.

I've only just begun researching..and I know there's SO much more to know! :D

Diane

WOW! Great information here in this thread! :)

For as long as I can remember...I have always felt the desire AND need to go to Pearl Harbor (trying to cross off things on my bucket list) :eek:

I just returned from a Transatlantic on Celebrity Constellation and visited the Normandy Beaches. WOW...what an experience to behold!!

My next adventure is to the Hawaiian Islands and Pearl Harbor!

Thanks for all the great information here.

If anyone has any further great ideas etc...shoot them my way.

I've only just begun researching..and I know there's SO much more to know! :D

Diane

That's great that you've been checking off bucket list items & I too enjoyed visiting Normandy after learning all about D-Day.

My first time to Hawaii was on the aircraft carrier USS Midway arriving at sunrise in Pearl Harbor. It was a sight I will always remember as the ship circled around Ford Island which is no longer possible due to the bridge that connects Oahu to Ford Island. Being able to return to Pearl Harbor and to visit the bookends of America's involvement in WWII is a moving experience for me...from the USS Arizona to the USS Missouri.

Archived