Pearl Harbor

stunned

* In Honolulu, ships can dock at Aloha Tower or Pier 2. Not far from each other but passengers often get surprised when they expect to be at Aloha Tower and end up at Pier 2.

* Love the bus system in Oahu. For those old enough to have a Medicare card...show it to the driver, cost is only $1. :)

* Another vote to visiting Aloha Stadium for the flea market. A truly wonderful way to find local souvenirs and taste local food. Is is a short walk from PH.

* From PH, you can take the bus directly to Waikiki area. (I hold my DW captive inside the bus when nearing Ala Moana Mall...great place but she spends too much time there. :D) Yes, you can walk from Ala Moana mall to Waikiki Beach.

* The best thing about riding buses in Honolulu: We've observed many times that younger passengers almost always give up their seats to older passengers. :)

* The bus and direction to PH and Waikiki is opposite of each other.

* Tickets to PH is free. If you are unable to get tickets (USS Arizona), you can still visit the museum, perhaps watch the brief history movie, the submarine.

* Lastly, if you have time AFTER visiting Waikiki Beach, perhaps you'd like to get off the bus near Chinatown...a wonderful place to visit. Then you can walk back to the ship...it's not far from Aloha Tower. A little longer walk to Pier 2.

Aloha and happy sailing! :)

* In Honolulu, ships can dock at Aloha Tower or Pier 2. Not far from each other but passengers often get surprised when they expect to be at Aloha Tower and end up at Pier 2.

* Love the bus system in Oahu. For those old enough to have a Medicare card...show it to the driver, cost is only $1. :)

* Another vote to visiting Aloha Stadium for the flea market. A truly wonderful way to find local souvenirs and taste local food. Is is a short walk from PH.

* From PH, you can take the bus directly to Waikiki area. (I hold my DW captive inside the bus when nearing Ala Moana Mall...great place but she spends too much time there. :D) Yes, you can walk from Ala Moana mall to Waikiki Beach.

* The best thing about riding buses in Honolulu: We've observed many times that younger passengers almost always give up their seats to older passengers. :)

* Tickets to PH is free. If you are unable to get tickets (USS Arizona), you can still visit the museum, perhaps watch the brief history movie, the submarine.

* Lastly, if you have time AFTER visiting Waikiki Beach, perhaps you'd like to get off the bus near Chinatown...a wonderful place to visit. Then you can walk back to the ship...it's not far from Aloha Tower. A little longer walk to Pier 2.

Thanks bonsai3s for the following information! :)

I know there is SO much to do while visiting here...and I certainly do NOT want to miss out on anything. I want to make the most of my time there!! :D

Diane

Thanks bonsai3s for the following information! :)

I know there is SO much to do while visiting here...and I certainly do NOT want to miss out on anything. I want to make the most of my time there!! :D

Diane

Don't forget the Hawaiian way...Shakka...Hang Loose...relax & enjoy yourself & to not see too many things from the window of a vehicle! ;)

Having such limited time in Hawaii will only give you a 'taste of the islands' & a reason to take a land vacation to your favorite spot in Hawaii to experience more of it in the future. :)

We will disembark Pride of America at 7.00am and would like to do PH that day we are thinking of renting a car fromHertz think we will need to pick it up from the airport what time do you suggest getting tickets for and what is the website for this I seem to be only able to find tours.We will be booking a hotel as our flight is not until 7.00am on the Sun.

Thanks in advance

Judith

We will disembark Pride of America at 7.00am and would like to do PH that day we are thinking of renting a car fromHertz think we will need to pick it up from the airport what time do you suggest getting tickets for and what is the website for this I seem to be only able to find tours.We will be booking a hotel as our flight is not until 7.00am on the Sun.

Thanks in advance

Judith

...disembarking, going to the airport, getting your car...can take time. Perhaps 10am would be the earliest. Here's a website that may help:

http://www.nps.gov/valr/index.htm

The Honolulu International Airport is only a few miles from the Arizona Memorial/Pearl Harbor. Renting a car gives you plenty of flexibility and more options. If you've never done it...driving around Oahu is spectacular. Clockwise, counterclockwise, eastbound, westbound,...there are so many wonderful places to visit along the way. And with a good map, you can't really get lost...and if you do, it'll be more fun.

From Waikiki, follow the Kalanianaole Hwy (72) and drive up to the North Shore. Then back down the NaPali lookout. Regrettably, with only one day, there are sights that are better visiting another time: Hiking Diambond Head, Hanauma Bay, Polynesian Cultural Center...you can still drive by and look but these three examples will take you hours to fully enjoy.

Driving away from Waikiki, you may find spectacular homes along the beach...park, and walk between the houses along the narrow alleys. Make sure to look at trees...we parked under a huge tree and realized it was full of large mangoes...we ate a few. :) The beaches are literally their backyards...spectacular. After Hanauma Bay, don't rush, stop as many times as you can...there are many hidden beaches along the way.

Stop in Kailua for lunch and its beautiful beach. Stop anywhere in the North Shore (try the Hawaiian shaved ice), Waimea Bay, and spend time with huge turtles on Turtle Bay. If you'd like, you can even stop at the Dole Pineapple Plantation...visit the pineapple garden and koi pond in the back and finish off with some delicious ice-cream or sorbet. I know I'm missing a few places...perhaps you'll discover one and share it someday. Aloha and happy sailing! :)

...disembarking, going to the airport, getting your car...can take time. Perhaps 10am would be the earliest. Here's a website that may help:

http://www.nps.gov/valr/index.htm

The Honolulu International Airport is only a few miles from the Arizona Memorial/Pearl Harbor. Renting a car gives you plenty of flexibility and more options. If you've never done it...driving around Oahu is spectacular. Clockwise, counterclockwise, eastbound, westbound,...there are so many wonderful places to visit along the way. And with a good map, you can't really get lost...and if you do, it'll be more fun.

From Waikiki, follow the Kalanianaole Hwy (72) and drive up to the North Shore. Then back down the NaPali lookout. Regrettably, with only one day, there are sights that are better visiting another time: Hiking Diambond Head, Hanauma Bay, Polynesian Cultural Center...you can still drive by and look but these three examples will take you hours to fully enjoy.

Driving away from Waikiki, you may find spectacular homes along the beach...park, and walk between the houses along the narrow alleys. Make sure to look at trees...we parked under a huge tree and realized it was full of large mangoes...we ate a few. :) The beaches are literally their backyards...spectacular. After Hanauma Bay, don't rush, stop as many times as you can...there are many hidden beaches along the way.

Stop in Kailua for lunch and its beautiful beach. Stop anywhere in the North Shore (try the Hawaiian shaved ice), Waimea Bay, and spend time with huge turtles on Turtle Bay. If you'd like, you can even stop at the Dole Pineapple Plantation...visit the pineapple garden and koi pond in the back and finish off with some delicious ice-cream or sorbet. I know I'm missing a few places...perhaps you'll discover one and share it someday. Aloha and happy sailing! :)

Thanks for all the information we will definately do pearl harbour, would like to go to turtle bay and dole pineapple plantation. Anything else we fit in will be great as well. It's so difficult to pick the things you want to do with so little time. In Maui we are going to do sunrise at Haleaka then renew our wedding vows. We are travelling from Scotland we have week in Florida before travelling to Hawaii.

Thanks Judith

If you are going to get a hotel for the night, I would strongly recommend that you drop off your luggage before going around the island (even if you can't check in). Rental car break ins are common since rental cars have a scanner code on the back window that alert thieves to your car. Get a late morning/early afternoon ticket for Pearl Harbor. It took me from 10 AM- 6 PM to drive around the island just this past winter (no stop at Pearl Harbor).

Turtles occasionally come ashore at Laniakea Beach near Haleiwa (not at Turtle Bay Hotel).

Enjoy your day and don't forget to savor the foods of the island.

Renee (displaced local girl)

If you are going to get a hotel for the night, I would strongly recommend that you drop off your luggage before going around the island (even if you can't check in). Rental car break ins are common since rental cars have a scanner code on the back window that alert thieves to your car. Get a late morning/early afternoon ticket for Pearl Harbor. It took me from 10 AM- 6 PM to drive around the island just this past winter (no stop at Pearl Harbor).

Turtles occasionally come ashore at Laniakea Beach near Haleiwa (not at Turtle Bay Hotel).

Thanks for your advice, we will be booking a hotel just not managed to pick one yet. As it is only for one night not looking to spend too much. Is there any place we can store our luggage if the hotel won't take it and would it be expensive.

Thanks Judith

...thanks Renee, for the correction about the turtles...here's a photo. :)

P1010086a.jpg.980cf821d49870cb3508842af95f8e0d.jpg

And here is my photo taken this December. I grew up on Oahu and had no idea there were turtles at this beach. I had a Chicago friend ask me to take them to this beach when they came through (I was there for Christmas). I have to admit that I was pretty excited to see a Honu at this beach.

DSCN3804_zps4767a802.jpg

Don't know anything about hotels. Have heard good things about Aqua Hotels. Outriggers are the most generic and plentiful in Waikiki. If you are not along the water, (more along Kuhio Street), the prices will be more reasonable. There is no reason why a hotel won't at least hold your luggage until you check in. If you are lucky, they may even let you check in before you go on your tour. If you want to avoid Waikiki, check out the Ala Moana Hotel. No resort fee, but every hotel has a charge for parking. Ala Moana Hotel is $25.00 a night, I think. Stayed there. It's okay.

Renee

Not all hotels in Waikiki charge a resort fee but many do. The Sheraton Waikiki charges a $25 resort fee which includes parking for one car per room plus other items. This hotel also has a fabulous adult infinity pool where you do not even realize the rest of Waikiki exists. Sometimes there are some great SPG rates. You can check on-line as to what the resort fee includes at each hotel. Sometimes the resort fee includes things that you would pay for, and sometimes includes things that you do not want. For an inexpensive Aqua hotel with a great location and view you might check out the Park Shore Hotel, Waikiki. Cherie

An option you may consider is to take a cab from the pier to Pearl Harbor and then to take a bus back to the ship or to shop at Ala Moana. We considered this option and as I recall from others who have posted the cab ride was about $30 but may be worthwhile if you want to see more things during the day.

This was how my wife and I did it. We shared a 7 passenger taxi. It cost $5 a person, and that included the tip. Going this way got us to the Arizona Memorial early, and we got tickets for the 8:15am tour. Going back into Honolulu we walked up the the street and took The Bus. But I was glad we shared a taxi going. It doesn't cost much more than The Bus if you share one of the 7 passenger taxi vans. And it got us to the Arizona much sooner then taking The Bus.

This was how my wife and I did it. We shared a 7 passenger taxi. It cost $5 a person, and that included the tip. Going this way got us to the Arizona Memorial early, and we got tickets for the 8:15am tour. Going back into Honolulu we walked up the the street and took The Bus. But I was glad we shared a taxi going. It doesn't cost much more than The Bus if you share one of the 7 passenger taxi vans. And it got us to the Arizona much sooner then taking The Bus.

Were the taxis waiting at the pier or did you have to walk somewhere to get one, and did you share with friends/family or strangers waiting with you in the taxi line?

Were the taxis waiting at the pier or did you have to walk somewhere to get one, and did you share with friends/family or strangers waiting with you in the taxi line?
We were at the Aloha Tower pier. When you exit the terminal you'll see the taxi stand directly across the side street that's out front of the building. When we were there a dispatcher asking where people were going. Everyone was going to the Arizona Memorial. So he was just filling the taxi vans with 7 passengers and away we went. The fare came to $30 (this was 2 years ago). with a $5 tip it came out to $5 per person. And it got us to Pearl Harbor at 8am.

Archived