Istanbul hotels

bissel

Hi - we stayed at the Ottoman Hotel Imperial and it was wonderful. It's right next to the Ayasofia and within walking distance of all the sights. We also stayed at the Conrad the night before our cruise because Regent booked us. It was nice, but more of a business hotel, and the location was just so-so. The nice thing about the Conrad was that Regent picked up our bags at 8am, and we didn't see them again until we were in our suite on the Mariner. Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestions. I was thinking about the old city as being an interesting location. I will check out the Ottoman Hotel. Swissotel looks great but on the Bosphorus as is Ritz Carlton sort of.

Thanks for your help!

There are tons of great little "Ottoman Inns" right in the Sultanahmet that don't break the bank, and are convenient to everything in that part of town.

It's been a few years, so I can't recommend my hotel, although it gets good ratings (Dersaadet). If you go to turkeytravelplanner.com, and go to pages for Ottoman Inns, you can see lists of them. Many get rave reviews.

Could you shout out some names of Istanbul hotels you found particularly wonderful?

I need to make some fast reservations and if I could have a few names it would be a great help to me.

Thanks!!

Carolyn

Four Seasons @ Sultanahmet. Stayed their in April after TA. Walking distance to everything -- see the concierge for reservations at some great restaurants within a 10 minute walk.

The Ottoman Imperial looks really good. They also provide car service gratis from the airport which I like as we are getting in several days early.

The Four Seasons is of course very nice but right now their price is about 500Euros a night.

We stayed at the Intercontinental several years ago and although it was okay, the location is not easy. It is near the Ritz so we are avoiding that area. It's too far away.

Thanks Wendy for your tips. I remember you posted on this subject some years ago and had good suggestions for that area in Istanbul, which looks the most desirable to me.

How very good of people to respond to my queries! Thank you!

Carolyn

Tom Tom Suites is just a great place to stay in Istanbul.

Check out my review on Trip Adviser.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g293974-d1194862-r147821371-Tomtom_Suites-Istanbul.html

For a 3 night stay they will transport you to the pier.

Also check web site http://www.tomtomsuites.com.

I stayed at the Ritz in November, 2012. It was lovely, and had an excellent breakfast buffet, with a view too. My first room was huge. Second room was smaller, but still nice. If you use the spa, be very careful! The marble floor was extremely slippery when wet. The location was not as conveniet as I would have preferred. Due to a partial road blockage for metro/subway construction, several taxi drivers did not want to go there, or were charging a very high flat rate to deal with the traffic problem. I finally found a taxi driver willing to go by the meter.

We stayed at the Gezi Hotel Bosphorus, a very nice modern hotel convenient to Taksim Square. My TripAdvisor review is at: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g293974-d1013095-r131096041-Gezi_Hotel_Bosphorus-Istanbul.html#CHECK_RATES_CONT

The entry, lobby and restaurant is on the fourth or fifth floor of this hotel, standard rooms below that level look out into a not very well landscaped "garden", but deluxe rooms above have a wonderful view to the Bosphorus, and are highly recommended.

We always stay at the Hotel Nena in Sultanhamet. It is a perfect location, plus they will fetch you free from the airport. One night our plane was four hours late, arriving at 2 am and they were there!

Everything is walking distance from this hotel! Breakfast is on the roof with fantastic views of everything!

We also stayed at Hotel Nena last year in a deluxe room. Had a wonderful terrace with great views, comfortable room and great service.

Close to everything, they even organised a private tour guide for us and we managed to jump the queues at the attractions.:)

We just booked the AMIRA Hotel in Istanbul for our pre-cruise

before getting on the Mariner October 4th, 5th, 6th.

Had comments from people who have stayed there and all positive.

We decided on the "Cultural Package". Looked like it will work well for us.

So far it looks like the Nena for our little group of four. Jim, we are boarding the Mariner on Oct 6 as well. What a lovely cruise this will be.

Thanks everyone for your continued suggestions. It seems that there are quite a few good hotels to choose from!

Hi Bissel

Have you gone to "Roll Call" and signed up for this cruise?

We have around 17 in our group so far going with our TA and her husband.

Little correction. We get on the Mariner the 7th. Hope your hotel reservations

are correct.

Hi Jim,

I haven't signed up yet as we just depositing and securing air. I know you had a deuce of a time doing that air routing.

We are sailing with my brother and sister-in-law who are first time cruisers so we have spent a good bit of time orienting them and hooking them up to our TA where they have learned a great deal. I told them where you eventually reserved so our next job is checking out the several hotel recommendations. Then after we book excursions in February we shall sign up for "Roll Call.

Yes, you are right. October 6. My head is spinning from booking two other destinations and trying to sort out my brother's flight from Chicago, returning from Rome.

After getting the insurance details signed I will enjoy thinking about our wonderful Med cruise!

WOW! Sounds like you are really busy trying to do your own arrangements

as well as for someone else.

We are sailing with Jan's Brother and SIL. They have sailed just about as much as us but

never on Regent Seven Seas so pretty much know what they are doing.

They can not arrive until late Saturday night so will only have Sunday to see the sites.

Did make reservations at the AMIRA hotel.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived