Princess EZ Air experience

Cruisin Oma

Normally I book my own airfare, but we can't pass up this promo from Princess - $550 Phx to Venice, Rome to Phx

We are booking the flexible air, so the price can go up until we pay in full. Unfortunately, until we do taxes (and maybe not immediately after - depending on bite from Uncle Sam) we can't afford to pay for both cruise and air. Does anyone have experience with booking Princess EZ Air? Did you see your airfare go up?

Normally I book my own airfare, but we can't pass up this promo from Princess - $550 Phx to Venice, Rome to Phx

We are booking the flexible air, so the price can go up until we pay in full. Unfortunately, until we do taxes (and maybe not immediately after - depending on bite from Uncle Sam) we can't afford to pay for both cruise and air. Does anyone have experience with booking Princess EZ Air? Did you see your airfare go up?

While I have no direct experience, I can say as a frequent traveler that airfares rarely go down as the departure draws closer, it usually goes up.

Find out if this is a consolidator fare. If so be wary. They can be a great deal with absolutly zero flexibility.

$550 for round trip transatlantic is absolutely a consolidator fare. I'd almost put my life on it. There will be incredibly restrictive wording to the ticket.

Find out if this is a consolidator fare. If so be wary. They can be a great deal with absolutly zero flexibility.

Note: If Princess EZAir is like Royal's "Choice Air" this will tell you "no, it's not a consolidator fare, we don't use those." BUT Royal, for instance, uses "specially negotiated fares" which are, essentially, consolidator fares. They just use different verbiage so they can so "no." So be careful about simply asking Princess if it's a "consolidator" fare. What you need to find out are the exact and detailed rules and restrictions that govern that fare, particularly in the event of flight disruptions, as it is these rules and restrictions that could keep you from being efficiently rebooked.

I had been checking fares from Toronto YYZ -Heathrow LHR for August 2013 for the past few months. With Princess Cruise & Air sale, I was able to get 2 non stop multi flights ($726/pp) for the price of 1 non stop flight ($1,488/pp) with the airline, with the times and dates I wanted. We are going 4 days pre cruise and returning 3 post cruise so I am not worried about missed or interupted flights.

I took the flexible air price. My TA said the price could go up or down until I paid it off. I paid the cruise and air off to make sure I got that price. Even with a seat sale, the airline would not be able to match that price. I checked Princess' cruise & air price today (1 week later after purchase) and the price went up by $38/ticket.

I appreciate the guessing, but I am already doing all that same guessing. I was really hoping to hear from someone that has direct experience with EZ Air, as I am trying to understand how long rates remain stable before they go up, after all, air isn't due until final payment, if the price of the air went to high, people would simply cancel their cruise.

It is my understanding that when you book EZ Air, it isn't the same as consolidator fare, I've already gotten seat assignments on the actual airlines.

Yes there are penalties for cancellation when you make the final payment, but by Aug 10th when the monies are due for an Oct 24 cruise, we will either be going or will have cancelled, and trip insurance will handle the unexpected after that.

Ps 545 isn't the fare. That's the cost to me because Princess has a sale where they are Paying $500 of the airfare to Europe. So while I normally always book my own air, passing up $500 off on the air is just too good to pass up (granted I have to understand the terms). I've checked Priceline, kayak, and some direct airlines and the airfare isn't anywhere under the $1k price range, and that is for a non-refundable ticket, which I can't book right now even if it was a good price, as the while cruise will go down the drain if Uncle Sam takes too big of a bite!

I just worried that I will get my hopes up for this cruise, and then find in August that the airfare has priced this out of my range.

Even with a seat sale, the airline would not be able to match that price.

And they wouldn't - because they are NOT the same ticket.

As long as you realize that it isn't an apples to apples comparison AND you are willing to accept the severe restrictions that the cruiseline air has, then go right ahead. That's what free choice is all about.

I appreciate the guessing, but I am already doing all that same guessing. I was really hoping to hear from someone that has direct experience with EZ Air, as I am trying to understand how long rates remain stable before they go up, after all, air isn't due until final payment, if the price of the air went to high, people would simply cancel their cruise.
There is no definite period of "stable" rates. Supply and demand, our old friends, never take a day off.
It is my understanding that when you book EZ Air, it isn't the same as consolidator fare, I've already gotten seat assignments on the actual airlines.
The fact that you have a seat assignment says NOTHING about whether you have a consolidator/bulk ticket or not.
I just worried that I will get my hopes up for this cruise, and then find in August that the airfare has priced this out of my range.
I suspect that will be the case -- if you are waiting another 7 months, then I would bet dollars to donuts that you are going to find higher pricing for your tickets.

There is no definite period of "stable" rates. Supply and demand, our old friends, never take a day off.

The fact that you have a seat assignment says NOTHING about whether you have a consolidator/bulk ticket or not.

I suspect that will be the case -- if you are waiting another 7 months, then I would bet dollars to donuts that you are going to find higher pricing for your tickets.

So you have booked EzAir and that was your experience?

I don't have to wait 7 months before we pay and cease any rise in airfare, only 4, it just depends on the bite Uncle Sam takes.

So you have booked EzAir and that was your experience?
No....but since flexible EzAir is subject to price fluctuation, and since pricing for tickets to Europe will almost certainly rise as you approach departure date, I thought I would venture a somewhat educated guess based on years of buying airline tickets and an understanding of Econ 101.

Now, if you are looking for someone who will give you some kind of rock-solid guarantee, you will be looking for a while. And, like they say in the ads for mutual funds - past results are no guarantee of future performance.

Let me be blunt. The strategy of "book a cruise & air and hope that the price stays low until payment time" will most likely be a loser in the long run, especially for European itineraries. Of course, that's merely my two kopeks worth. YMMV.

And for the record....I only book consolidator tickets in very specialized situations, and even then it is with trepidation and both eyes wide open.

No....but since flexible EzAir is subject to price fluctuation, and since pricing for tickets to Europe will almost certainly rise as you approach departure date, I thought I would venture a somewhat educated guess based on years of buying airline tickets and an understanding of Econ 101.

I get Econ 101, that is the reason for my question here. I don't get the benefit to Princess to offer these kind if air fares. If they sucker me in with a low price that goes through the roof by the time final payment is due, I just cancel my cruise. I'm not out anything, and they have a boatload (literally) of people canceling at the last minute. If that really is the practice, where is the benefit to Princess???

I get Econ 101, that is the reason for my question here. I don't get the benefit to Princess to offer these kind if air fares. If they sucker me in with a low price that goes through the roof by the time final payment is due, I just cancel my cruise. I'm not out anything, and they have a boatload (literally) of people canceling at the last minute. If that really is the practice, where is the benefit to Princess???

They're banking on one of two scenarios playing out for most: either people pay in full right away to lock in the lower price, or don't cancel at final payment even if the airfare because they either don't realize that the price has gone up, or do but too late to cancel without penalty, or figure they're committed now so might as well pay the difference. High airfare is a major impediment to a lot of US consumers to reserving Europe cruises, so they're trying to provide more incentives without actually deeply discounting their actual cruises. It's smart from a marketing point of view.

Read the sticky at the top of the page-Cruise Air and Air Deviation.

When you get to the part about "free call" tickets, you are now close to what Princess EZ Air flexible is about. Here is the part I am referring to:

"17 have to be booked on "free call" tickets. These are NOT the same as the original 30 tickets. They are generally booked in Q or O class (the lowest, generally available AA class) IF there are tickets available in those classes. If there are no tickets available to the cruise line in those classes, then AA will make available tickets in higher fare classes. Please note that Q and O class tickets are HIGHER priced than the "regular" consolidator class air deviation tickets, so the 17 pax will definitely pay a higher price than "regular" cruise air pax or deviation pax with consolidator class tickets.

IF and this is a BIG IF, the cruise line/airline contract ALLOWS the cruise line to purchase more nonstop tickets, these are FULLY ENDORSABLE tickets, the same as purchasing direct from AA. Depending on time of year and demand, you may be told there are NO air deviation tickets available."

To explain as simply as possible: Princess has already purchased x amount of tickets on a contract/consolidator/vacation package/cruise only basis already. And they are finding that people cannot afford to cruise due to air fare. So to GET RID of the tickets they have already purchased (and laid out CASH for), they floated a SALE.

Your $1045 ticket is reduced to $545 due to the sale. BUT since you can't pay for the ticket now to insure the $545 price, Princess has offered you the option to pay WHATEVER price is available when you can pay for the tickets. This option will be NO DIFFERENT than the "free call" example above.

BECAUSE of the sale, most likely a LOT of people will take advantage of the reduced air AND pay for the tickets NOW. To me, that means the already purchased, cheapo Princess tickets will very likely be GONE by the time you can pay for the cruise and air.

And because of all the factors involved with Princess "flexible" in this specific instance, the chances of you paying MORE are about 85%.

And to answer your question about people cancelling their cruise after the air fare price increases, in this specific instance for a European cruise, MOST people are EXPECTING to pay $1000 or more for RT air to Europe. So even if the price goes up to $1700pp, less the $500 credit, still makes the price $1200, which is within range of what a large percentage of people were planning to spend for air anyhow. Anyone counting on $550 RT airfare to Europe is definitely getting a consolidator ticket and is scooping up the tickets and paying for them immediately.

Have you read the fine print on this latest sale? BETTER read it. Deposits are NOT refundable. "Reservations must be made and deposited between 12:01am on January 17, 2013 and 11:59pm PST on January 21, 2013. Deposits made under this promotion are non-refundable and non-transferable."

There is A LOT of fine print with this sale. It very specifically states that these are lead in rates, subject to capacity controls. THAT should answer all your questions about air.

If you really can't afford to pay for cruise and air if the air price goes to $1000-1200pp (about normal for a fall RT Europe flight from PHX), I would get out now IF you can get your deposit back. Bet your TA didn't tell you about that one. Good luck!!!

PS: You really peaked my curiosity after I found the NON REFUNDABLE deposit notation on these sale cruises. So I did a little more investigating. IF I read correctly, you are NOT guaranteed a $500 deduction on air per person. The REAL wording states "UP TO $1000 per couple". So I certainly wouldn't count on even the $500 deduction in 4 months. Go back and read all the fine print. Here's the link:http://www.princess.com/news/press_releases/2013/01/Princess-Rings-in-the-New-Year-with-Wave-Season-Sale.html#.UPV-__K2Y_h

Go down to the part that says sale and read some of the restrictions. Then type into the Princess website "fare sale" + airfare and you will find a lot more info. This is NOT the type of sale I would book a cruise on if there was ANY possibility I wasn't going. Just too many "gotcha's" in the deal. Again, good luck!!!

But don't you still end up with a bunch a cancellations at the last minute (90 days out)?

Two possibilities:

1. The answer is simply that no they don't, for all the possible reasons Flyertalker provided (people don't realize the cost went up, or they say what the heck let's just pay it so we don't have to cancel the cruise, etc.

2. They get a bunch of cancellations but find there is enough of a market of people willing to book on 3 months notice.

Number 1 is the more likely answer.

Read the sticky at the top of the page-Cruise Air and Air Deviation.

good luck!!!

Re your last post... I hate re-posting everything (such a waste of space and time for people to scroll thru).

Great response...

But my question to you is - Where do you find the time and energy to investigate everyone's questions?? The knowledge that you (and others on this board) try to instill on people is commendable, and appreciated by most. Others won't take the time to digest and try to understand what or why you're doing it. Good on you!! You (and others) spend more time researching other peoples problems than they do themselves. Thanks.

Re your last post... I hate re-posting everything (such a waste of space and time for people to scroll thru).

Great response...

But my question to you is - Where do you find the time and energy to investigate everyone's questions?? The knowledge that you (and others on this board) try to instill on people is commendable, and appreciated by most. Others won't take the time to digest and try to understand what or why you're doing it. Good on you!! You (and others) spend more time researching other peoples problems than they do themselves. Thanks.

I had gotten the email about the sale from Princess. Didn't pay much attention till the OP posted. So I went back and looked at the email because the deal was just "too good" and the spin too great in their marketing materials. Took about 3 minutes to find the "non refundable deposit" proposition. Then I just kept clicking after that peaked my curiosity.

I am a non practicing attorney. And I spend a good portion of my week reading contracts, bills of lading and manifests. Just my nature to read ALL the wording in any written stuff. And yes, the fine print DOES matter. It matters in my business to a great degree. And it SHOULD matter in any purchase you are making for more than a few dollars. Glad I can help where I can.

Just my nature to read ALL the wording in any written stuff. And yes, the fine print DOES matter. It matters in my business to a great degree. And it SHOULD matter in any purchase you are making for more than a few dollars. Glad I can help where I can.

Thanks... you're absolutely right. You, and others on this board are a wealth of information... albeit, sometimes it gets a little 'testy'. But, the information you provide is invaluable - and appreciated by most!!

They're banking on one of two scenarios playing out for most: either people pay in full right away to lock in the lower price, or don't cancel at final payment even if the airfare because they either don't realize that the price has gone up, or do but too late to cancel without penalty, or figure they're committed now so might as well pay the difference. High airfare is a major impediment to a lot of US consumers to reserving Europe cruises, so they're trying to provide more incentives without actually deeply discounting their actual cruises. It's smart from a marketing point of view.

Actually, that was my cohort in mileage, Greatam. Credit where it is due.

As I look back it was actually Twickenham's post I was referring to.

Oops! :eek:

My apologies!

• 1 month later...
I had been checking fares from Toronto YYZ -Heathrow LHR for August 2013 for the past few months. With Princess Cruise & Air sale, I was able to get 2 non stop multi flights ($726/pp) for the price of 1 non stop flight ($1,488/pp) with the airline, with the times and dates I wanted. We are going 4 days pre cruise and returning 3 post cruise so I am not worried about missed or interupted flights.

I took the flexible air price. My TA said the price could go up or down until I paid it off. I paid the cruise and air off to make sure I got that price. Even with a seat sale, the airline would not be able to match that price. I checked Princess' cruise & air price today (1 week later after purchase) and the price went up by $38/ticket.

Where do you find the air prices that Princess is offering. I can't seem to find them on their website. Thanks!

Archived