SPA alert

duct tape

FYI- As of Jan 5, a 15% gratuity has been included in the prices of treatments and other services. No announcement was made nor notification given. As I reviewed our bill this AM, I noticed that the added gratuities were much larger than I had signed. Others noticed this and it was under discussion around the ship. I spoke with the Spa Manager and, yes, prices now include gratuity and every one WILL be informed. I am a generous person but really...

Really annoying when they "forget" to tell you that tips are included. They have been included on regent for several years now, but I make a point of telling my husband that again every time he goes for a massage as he just doesn't remember that kind of stuff, and more than once, someone "forgot" to tell him.

Interesting that I was just at the golden door spa at the Waldorf astoria in Puerto Rico. There, tips are included and you pay all in advance, so no possibility of misinformation.

FYI- As of Jan 5, a 15% gratuity has been included in the prices of treatments and other services. No announcement was made nor notification given. As I reviewed our bill this AM, I noticed that the added gratuities were much larger than I had signed. Others noticed this and it was under discussion around the ship. I spoke with the Spa Manager and, yes, prices now include gratuity and every one WILL be informed. I am a generous person but really...

How much (%) do they add on?

Sorry, this is exactly what the mainstream cruise lines do. Hope you have asked to have it removed from your account. I cannot believe that SS have decided to go down this route.

Sorry, this is exactly what the mainstream cruise lines do. Hope you have asked to have it removed from your account. I cannot believe that SS have decided to go down this route.

Agree with u Mr Silver. Doing this is way too mainstream. I don't like it at all. I guess it's my deep-rooted dislike of tipping too.

I personally think the spa prices are ridiculously expensive (compared to same in Australia).

No more spa for me.

Cheers

Jennifer

I tip 20% for salon services, as well as taxis, no matter where I am in the world not because I'm generous, but because I'm a math dummy. It's just easier for me to double the amount and tip accordingly. I would welcome the gratuity included. The less math I have to do in my head, the happier I am. :-)

I tip 20% for salon services, as well as taxis, no matter where I am in the world not because I'm generous, but because I'm a math dummy. It's just easier for me to double the amount and tip accordingly. I would welcome the gratuity included. The less math I have to do in my head, the happier I am. :-)

Perhaps this is the reason it starts?

I have searched all the small print and can find no justification for the charge. The only statement is that 'ALL onboard gratuites are covered'.

I would rather stick pins in my body than go near any of these places but perhaps it might help those who enjoy such sybaritic pleasures.

PS I do remember the flavour and feel of mud when I was very young!!

I really do not see what all the fuss has been about. Tips have always been expected in connection with spa services, and I am fairly certain that the back of the Silversea annual catalog makes this clear. The staff depend upon tips, and I think that 15% is entirely reasonable, perhaps modest. I am surprised that some passengers have not tipped in he spa in the past. Pity the poor staff there.

...I am fairly certain that the back of the Silversea annual catalog makes this clear.
I can see how this could be confusing to some. The only reference Silversea addresses in the back of the annual voyage catalog under GENERAL INFORMATION is as follows:

GRATUITIES

All hotel service gratuities are included in your cruise fare. Gratuities for services received shoreside are at your own discretion.

THE SPA AT SILVERSEA

For an additional charge, indulge in a wide range of invigorating therapies including facials, body wraps, and massages, plus innovative treatments featuring state-of-the-art spa technology. Reservations for these services are recommended and may be made on board or online beginning 60 days prior to sailing at Silversea.

So, it would appear that gratuities are included, as they are not addressed specifically for the spa in the terms. However, on page 26, as outlined under SILVERSEA'S ALL-INCLUSIVE LIFESTYLE and the section GRATUITIES ALWAYS INCLUDED one finds that "Onboard gratuities are included in your cruise fare, assuring a level of service motivated only by a desire to see you smile. Not including spa treatments".

It would seem to me a simple solution could be to simply raise the level of spa prices to include a 15% gratuity and make the spa a part of the all-inclusive lifestyle.

I don't have an issue with tipping for spa services at all. What I do have an issue with is the spa adding in the tip and not informing the customer, thus resulting in double tipping. If the tip is included, it should be clearly stated.

How crazy to have a no tipping policy shipwide except for one aspect of the ship's services. Even more so to include the tip in the bill.

OK, so we are European and don't have a tipping culture (in fact, the whole tipping issue is a bit of a nightmare - Who? How much? etc) but one of the plus points of SS is the stated policy of no gratuities. Presumably the staff are paid a decent wage to look after the company's customers.

On the other hand we have no problem with rewarding 'above and beyond' service but this should be entirely discretionary, surely?

If Silversea is making this new practice a policy, then they should change the name to something that is more reflective of the policy, i.e. "service charge" rather than "gratuity".

What I do have an issue with is the spa adding in the tip and not informing the customer, thus resulting in double tipping.
Agreed.

On the other hand we have no problem with rewarding 'above and beyond' service but this should be entirely discretionary, surely?
I think most folks would agree that "tipping" should definitely be entirely discretionary. By the very nature of the word, "tips" implies something that is optional and not obligatory.

I would much rather give the therapists a tip than being hassled to buy the beauty products which I didn't really need. As soon as they recommended a product, I would politely decline and hand them a tip -- they were happy, so was I.

Now if gratuity is included in the price, I will have to pay extra tip on top to appease them!

I was disappointed to find out Steiner runs the Silversea spas, after a terrible experience I had with them on RCCL. I would have thought for a luxury line, they would have an upper end spa onboard, like Canyon Ranch, Golden Door, or even maybe a boutique spa from Europe. I have not cruised the other luxury lines. Are they Steiner too?

Archived