Water Temperatures

salboz

This board covers a VERY wide area. Where exactly are you thinking of swimming (and expect cold water pretty much everywhere in the Baltics)

YES!! Where makes a big, big difference. Agree that I would not expect much in the Baltics to be that warm, especially in June. Like in many parts of New England, it takes until later July, August and early September for those conditions to warm up that much.

You can go to

http://www.wunderground.com

and check for the very specific weather history on many of the key towns in the world for their past temperatures in that specific area for a date in the past. Just look lower left in the page for weather history area, put in your exact dates and the year prior. You will then see what last year was like, along with recent highs and lows for that date there.

As an example for May 6, you will find this data for Bergen in the heart of this great area: a high of 48 °F last year with a low of 38 °F, with an average high on this date of 54 °F with an average low of 42 °F. During recent history, the high has been 69 °F (2006) and a low of 35 °F (1997) on this date in Bergen. There was no rain on this date last year.

Below is a little summary with specific weather history for each of the three major ports. Prepare for and plan on some "layering". The only thing certain is change, including cooler in the early am's and late evenings, etc. Warming up during the day. On the exact dates you be visiting, that info can be obtained by going to this below website, plugging in the location name and then going to the lower area for an earlier date to what happened there last year on that date, past averages, etc. Check out:

http://www.wunderground.com

Here are a few weather averages for these three key cities in the Baltics:

Copenhagen: High/low averages,

May: 59/45 °F

June: 67/52 °F

July: 69/55 °F

August: 69/54 °F

September: 62/50 °F

St. Petersburg:

May: 59/42 °F

June: 67/52 °F

July: 71/56 °F

August: 66/54 °F

Early Sept. 56/42 °F

Later Sept. 48/36 °F

Stockholm:

May: 60/43 °F

June: 69/52 °F

July: 71/56 °F

August: 69/55 °F

September: 59/48 °F

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 114,948 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 92,491 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

It's perfectly possible to swim even in Norwegian fjords in June. I've seen it done. (Of course, the water is mostly melting snow from the mountains, so it won't be too warm, but that's your preference. I didn't swim. :eek:)

Yikes!! :D

You watched me fall in from a kayak at Geiranger, didn't you? :D

No, but post a video and I'll give you marks out of 10 for style. :)

I've seen it done voluntarily, by people in swimming costumes. And once by two tiny children not even in swimming costumes - though they were more running up and down a shelf in shallow water, not swimming.

You watched me fall in from a kayak at Geiranger, didn't you? :D

Sent shivers up and down my spine just reading that as I put my toes in a Norwegian fijord last August and thought I had lost them.

By the way, re 'an Australian spelling lesson' The reason there is no U in QANTAS is not because we are uneducated colonials who don't know the rules of English spelling but because it is an acronym for the original name of the airline - "Queensland And Northern Territory Air Service"

An Aussie-in-Rostock

No, but post a video and I'll give you marks out of 10 for style. :)
Sent shivers up and down my spine just reading that as I put my toes in a Norwegian fijord last August and thought I had lost them.
It would have been zero points for style, but quite a number out of 10 for comedic effect!

Fortunately, it was close to the shore so the water was not too cold, and I was able to just get back in and carry on.

By the way, re 'an Australian spelling lesson' The reason there is no U in QANTAS is not because we are uneducated colonials who don't know the rules of English spelling but because it is an acronym for the original name of the airline - "Queensland And Northern Territory Air Service"
OT, but surely I'm not going to have to add an Australian airline history lesson as well? "Queensland And Northern Territory Aerial Services Ltd", to be pedantic. ;)

This was founded by Paul McGinness, Hudson Fysh, Fergus McMaster and Arthur Baird, the first three of whom are commemorated by today's Qantas by (amongst other things) naming its second, third and fourth A380s after them. In addition, Qantas used to use a fictitious "MR W H FYSH" as the member named on images of its frequent flyer cards, like this:-

350qm47.png

That was, of course, before he was knighted and became Sir Wilmot Hudson Fysh.

I

OT, but surely I'm not going to have to add an Australian airline history lesson as well? "Queensland And Northern Territory Aerial Services Ltd", to be pedantic. ;)

:o I stand corrected, thankyou.

The original acronym was Q.A.N.T.A.S Leaving out the full stops is a more modern version.

There is an excellent Q.A.N.T.A.S Founders Museum at Longreach Airport in Western Queensland, well worth a visit. They also have a good web site for the 'virtual traveller' with the complete story of the airline right up to the present day and great photos of the exhibits.

http://www.qfom.com.au/

Anni

The water around Oslo is somewhere between 15 and 18 C in June. Lots of people swim, but it's certainly refreshing!

My last cruise was Antarctica, and after swimming at the beach on Deception Island where the water was 1 C, that doesn't sound too bad.

In Denmark

The first bathing days in Denmark (where the overall water temperature was over 19. celcius)

But notice that to reach 19. celcius the water temperature can varies from 16-17 on some beaches to 22-23 on others so some beaches may never reach 19 degrees and some beaches may have more bathing days.

The beaches around Copenhagen are more shallower so the water heatens up more quickly and on the more open and deep coast in the western part of denmark its takes longer time to get warmer.

1996: 18th August

1997: 10th July

1998: No bathing days

1999: 9th June

2000: No bathing days

2001: 4th July

2002: 15th July

2003: 14th July

2004: 30rd July

2005: 4th July

2006: 2nd July

2007: 7th August

2008: 5th July

2009: 30rd June

2010: 3rd July

2011: 11th July

2012: 25th July

The highest water temperature was 27. celcius recorded on 3rd of August 2003 in Hestehovedet on Langeland.

The lowest was 8. celcius recorded on 26th of june 1996, location is not stated.

The highest overall temperature in all of Denmark was 23,33. celcius recorded on 10th of August 1997.

The year with most bathing days are 2003 with 35 days with and overall water temperature over 19. celcius.

Archived