Regent and Oceania

forevertravel

I have been reading the posts from Hambagahte on their experience on the Riviera. We love cruising on Regent but have considered Oceania lately. I guess the thing that keep us with Regent is that we love the upgrade to Business Class for $999 each way to Europe. I won't fly economy on long flights and for what I have read Oceania does not offer those upgrades. We are cruising in Asia in March and I considered Oceania. I was told by rep the upgrade would be $6,000/pp while Regent was $3,000 a year ago. The upgrade to business, drinks included and tours won us over to Regent. Has anyone heard anything about Regent and Oceania combining somehow? I love my TA at Regent and would love to book Oceania cruises with her. I would also would like if Oceania were to offer reasonable upgrades as well as deviation. $300 for deviation on Oceania is a little steep. So, if I want to try Oceania we'll have to do it out of Florida. I was in business for many years and having two companies (owned by same conglomerate) compete for the same share of business does not make sense. Regent needs more ships and itineraries. I think combining the two would be awesome and hard to beat by others. They can leave tours out of Oceania's all inclusive and raise the rates a little. Am I dreaming or being unrealistic?

As Frank Del Rio, CEO of Prestige Cruise Holdings (parent company of Regent and Oceania), merging of the two cruise lines "will never happen". They are different cruise lines that appeal to different segments of the cruising population. It would not benefit either cruise line to merge. I look at it as a tiny version of Carnival Corporation...... they would not think of merging Princess and Seabourn for instance.

We looked at sailing on Oceania for a while and also found their flights to be very costly (although many Regent non-European upgrades to Business Class are getting crazy -- $12,000 for 2 people to upgrade on New Zealand and/or Australia flights).

We are also reading the Oceania board at the moment and continue to realize that, in our case, we are better off sticking with Regent. That isn't to say that others would not enjoy cruising both Regent and Oceania. We "strayed" from Regent for a while -- to Silversea. Great cruise line -- no complaints at all....... but, we have recently cancelled our 2013 Silversea cruise and will continue sailing Regent. The only thing that could possibly get us to switch is the right itinerary to South Africa:eek: Sorry for straying off topic a bit.

FDR may well say he will never merge the brands, but to me they are almost indistinguishable - with an edge IMO towards Oceania as a more luxury line. At least, Oceania with a drinks package and a PH or above suite...

For us, air is not an issue as neither does air from Switzerland...

Once I get back I will do. "Think piece" on the pros and cons of each line as I see it. But right now, sitting at tea in Horizons with lovely classical music playing, eating foie gras and brioche sandwiches, with impeccable service all over the ship I think I am enjoying a level of luxury I never experienced on Regent...

Oceanaia has a crurrent promotion for business upgrades to Europe. I don't know if anyof the itineraries interest you, but here is part of the press release:

MIAMI, January 2, 2013 – Today, Oceania Cruises launches two high-value Wave Season promotions, including Business Class air upgrades from $799 per person, one-way, on select 2013 Europe sailings. Additionally, guests can take advantage of the two-for-one Unlimited Shore Excursion packages now available on select 2013 Alaska sailings; a value of up to $999 per stateroom. All offers are good on new cruise reservations booked now through March 31, 2013.

The Business Class air upgrade is available for those guests who select a Veranda stateroom or above. The Unlimited Shore Excursion package in Alaska provides guests the opportunity to truly explore all of the ports of call on their voyage at a substantial savings.

"Our goal is always to provide exceptional value," said Kunal Kamlani, the line's president. "The Business Class upgrade and our two-for-one Unlimited Shore Excursion package offers are a way for us to deliver even greater value for our guests who want to explore Europe and Alaska this year. Business Class seats as well as shore excursion capacity are limited, so we encourage guests to make their reservations early."

Take advantage of the Business Class air upgrades from $799 per person, one-way, on the following 2013 European sailings:

Marina

June 11: Scandinavian Serenade, Southampton to Stockholm, 14 Days

July 15: Nordic Explorer, Stockholm to Southampton, 14 Days

October 29: Glorious Shores, Venice to Barcelona, 12 Days

Riviera

May 5: Aegean Gems, Venice to Athens, 10 Days

May 25: Treasures & Monuments, Istanbul to Rome, 12 Days

July 3: Italian Escapade, Rome to Venice, 10 Days

July 13: Paths of the Byzantines, Venice to Istanbul, 12 Days

August 6: Sacred Sanctuaries, Athens to Istanbul, 10 Days

August 16: Treasures & Monuments, Istanbul to Rome, 12 Days

August 28: Italian Escapade, Rome to Venice, 10 Days

September 7: Venetian Vignettes, Venice to Barcelona, 12 Days

September 29: Romance & Rivieras, Lisbon to Monte Carlo, 12 Days

Nautica

August 27: Continental Shores, London to Barcelona, 10 Days

September 6: Roman Legends, Barcelona to Athens, 10 Days

September 28: Accent on Antiquities, Istanbul to Athens, 10 Days

November 4: Classic Mediterranean, Barcelona to Barcelona, 10 Days

FDR may well say he will never merge the brands, but to me they are almost indistinguishable - with an edge IMO towards Oceania as a more luxury line. At least, Oceania with a drinks package and a PH or above suite...

Once I get back I will do. "Think piece" on the pros and cons of each line as I see it. But right now, sitting at tea in Horizons with lovely classical music playing, eating foie gras and brioche sandwiches, with impeccable service all over the ship I think I am enjoying a level of luxury I never experienced on Regent...

Glad to hear that you are enjoying your cruise. As you said, you are in one of the top suites on one of the new ships -- paying Regent prices. Hope you keep that in mind when making comparisons.

I am still very puzzled about why Regent is supposed to be the luxury line but all the money is being poured into Oceania. According to Hambagahle she has found that Oceania is the luxury line. I love Regent and hope to continue travelling with them but resent the fact that FDR's attention is always to Oceania and Regent appears to be the poor sister.

Oceanaia has a crurrent promotion for business upgrades to Europe. I don't know if anyof the itineraries interest you, but here is part of the press release:

MIAMI, January 2, 2013 – Today, Oceania Cruises launches two high-value Wave Season promotions, including Business Class air upgrades from $799 per person, one-way, on select 2013 Europe sailings. ...

Note that these are being offered late in the game--and they are for new bookings only. So it would be a kick in the slats if you had already booked one of these trips and could not take advantage of this (our Nov/13 Crossing was not included in this promotion.)

I am still very puzzled about why Regent is supposed to be the luxury line but all the money is being poured into Oceania. According to Hambagahle she has found that Oceania is the luxury line. I love Regent and hope to continue travelling with them but resent the fact that FDR's attention is always to Oceania and Regent appears to be the poor sister.

He too, I don't get it. We're trying O in November for the first time.

If you were staying in the same level suite as Hambagahle, you might feel the same way. The fact is that most passengers are not in a huge suite. Comparing a "regular" suite on Regent and Oceania would be much more of an apples to apples comparison (and Regent would win).

As I recall, FDR said in a recent interview that Regent is "luxury" and Oceania is "luxurious". Some people really appreciate the décor of Oceania while others are just fine with the country club atmosphere of Regent. I have recently spoken with FDR and no longer feel that Regent is a "poor sister". While he gave birth to Oceania (quite a feat for a man:-), he recognizes the value of Regent. IMO, he appreciates both products. Having said that, we are once again considering an Oceania cruise...... not to switch from Regent as that is not about to happen.......just to experience the differences.

Jackie - I have already done the maths. In an excel spreadsheet. If I compare the total cost of what we have on this cruise, in the suite we have, to a PH suite on Regent (we have never had less than that). Then this suite costs more. bUT if I compare it to a similar size suite on Regent and add in all the "non included" items like Internet, drinks, excursions then we have paid far less. And for what is, IMO, much better food, service etc. clearly this is a new ship. With cutting edge decor, art work (sculptures etc) and ambiance. I cannot quantify a new ship vs an older one. Except to say I love the appearance of this ship.

Once we are off the ship and I have a chance to think through everything I will post an analysis. Right now, even with an unlimited Internet package that is a hard ask!

Jackie - I have already done the maths. In an excel spreadsheet. If I compare the total cost of what we have on this cruise, in the suite we have, to a PH suite on Regent (we have never had less than that). Then this suite costs more. bUT if I compare it to a similar size suite on Regent and add in all the "non included" items like Internet, drinks, excursions then we have paid far less. And for what is, IMO, much better food, service etc. clearly this is a new ship. With cutting edge decor, art work (sculptures etc) and ambiance. I cannot quantify a new ship vs an older one. Except to say I love the appearance of this ship.

Once we are off the ship and I have a chance to think through everything I will post an analysis. Right now, even with an unlimited Internet package that is a hard ask!

We almost always stay in a PH or above suites as well and understand comparing larger suites with each other. What I find difficult is that Oceania has inside and small suites (quite small) which, IMO, cannot compare to anything Regent has. Also, Oceania has older ships than Regent as well as their new ships. Again, difficult to compare. When Regent finally gets its new ship, I'm sure FDR will insure that it is at least as luxurious as the Riviera and Marina.

It is good to hear your views as well as some people who do not feel that Oceania is as good as Regent. One of my closest friends with be on the Riviera next month. She has been on Crystal, Silversea, Seabourn and Regent -- always in the top suites. She isn't easy to please and I do hope her experience with Oceania is as positive as yours.

I wrote a review of the O ships vs the Regent Experience. My Greek Isles cruise was in a PH. I find them quite similar in service quality and food on R I thought was better back in 2007 but on my last R cruise I felt the food quality not as good.

Even the older O ships - despite the lower ceilings - are more beautiful than the Regent Ships. I think the O ships have a more country club feel to them. The decor is more "traditional" than the more modernistic furnishings of Regent; I find the decor very plain on all the R ships.

We have friends that have sailed Regent,Crystal and the O line. They loved the Marina and told us the food was excellent and the ship was stunning and very attentive service. I believe Mr. Waters formally Crystal is operating this part of O.

We may try the Marina for a change and we know it is not AI. We would book a suite because we need the space. So far have heard many good things about the Marina.

We have traveled on the Voyager in the Grand suite, Voyager suite, and the Master suite, and in an Oceania suite on the Riviera. There is no comparison, the Oceania suite wins. The decor and comfort is way beyond what Regent offers. The bed alone won us over!

We have one glass of wine with dinner, and do private tours so when Regent went with their AI plan we started to look around for a new cruise line. We are thrilled with Oceania, the food is far better than Regent, with more restaurants to choose from, more interesting itineraries, and the service is just as wonderful as Regent. We have found the total cost to be less. We are looking forward to our cruise this July on the Riviera.

It isn't surprising that Oceania suite on the Riviera is gorgeous -- it was designed by an amazing group of people. Also, it is almost a decade newer than the Mariner. As with food, people have different preferences for décor. I have no doubt that the next Regent ship will have even more amazing upper level suites than the Riviera -- there is no stopping the improvements. While we would appreciate the amazing décor of the Riviera, our tastes are more minimalist.

There is certainly nothing wrong with Regent guests sailing on Oceania or visa versa. For quite a long time there have been quite a few Oceania customers on Regent and it appears that Regent customers are now trying Oceania. It will be interesting to see which line Regent customers (or former Regent customers) will be sailing in a couple of years. IMO, if Regent dropped the included excursions or offered an opt out option, you would see some former Regent passengers returning.

You all make good points. We have never booked penthouses in Regent because I believe they are overpriced. They are the same size as FDE suites we have booked (except in Mariner where they are a bit bigger) and I don't need or want a butler. I compared prices between Oceania and Regent for our upcoming Asia cruise. The upgrade to business in Oceania was $6,000 vs $3,000 in Regent (a year ago now is $1999/pp each way) so by the time we added drinks and tours Oceania was more. I realize money is not the only factor but we have to take it into consideration. We also preferred the Regent itinerary for Asia. We have been to Europe many times so the itineraries Oceania is offering with $799 upgrade to business don't appeal to me. I think we will try Oceania for Caribbean in the future. We'll be booking a veranda suite and those are smaller than Regent. I will be in a better position to compare the two at that time. From what I've seen in the postings the food and service is outstanding in O. It'll be interested to see "when" the new ship of Regent debuts how it compares. For the time being Regent is our favorite cruise line. However, we need new itineraries since they are only a few left that we are interested in. Also, Regent keeps on raising prices every quarter and it's beginning to be too much. Frank Del Rio may say that the merger will never happens, but who knows. From the posting here they are appealing to the same audiences (with exception of those against having tours included) so who knows. It's all about business and making money. I worked for a company owing two similar divisions. They finally came to realization we were both competing for same share of the pie and it didn't make sense so they merged the two. We'll see. In the meantime, it will be Regent for us for overseas cruises.

I'm enjoying reading your experience; we were on Oceania about 8 years ago. Unfortunately, we do not stay in a Navigator suite so when you are comparing with an Oceania suite, it doesn't work for me. How do you see it for those who go for a verandah but not necessarily a PH?

You all make good points. We have never booked penthouses in Regent because I believe they are overpriced. They are the same size as FDE suites we have booked (except in Mariner where they are a bit bigger) and I don't need or want a butler. I compared prices between Oceania and Regent for our upcoming Asia cruise. The upgrade to business in Oceania was $6,000 vs $3,000 in Regent (a year ago now is $1999/pp each way) so by the time we added drinks and tours Oceania was more. I realize money is not the only factor but we have to take it into consideration. We also preferred the Regent itinerary for Asia. We have been to Europe many times so the itineraries Oceania is offering with $799 upgrade to business don't appeal to me. I think we will try Oceania for Caribbean in the future. We'll be booking a veranda suite and those are smaller than Regent. I will be in a better position to compare the two at that time. From what I've seen in the postings the food and service is outstanding in O. It'll be interested to see "when" the new ship of Regent debuts how it compares. For the time being Regent is our favorite cruise line. However, we need new itineraries since they are only a few left that we are interested in. Also, Regent keeps on raising prices every quarter and it's beginning to be too much. Frank Del Rio may say that the merger will never happens, but who knows. From the posting here they are appealing to the same audiences (with exception of those against having tours included) so who knows. It's all about business and making money. I worked for a company owing two similar divisions. They finally came to realization we were both competing for same share of the pie and it didn't make sense so they merged the two. We'll see. In the meantime, it will be Regent for us for overseas cruises.

I am seriously looking at trying out O over the holidays next December. Discovering that unlimited internet is faster and affordable, that food is better, and great service has basically made me more than curious. I am pleased excursions and drinks are not included as my hubby prefers to stay onboard and does not really drink much so I think we will be happy.

We have been on many Regent cruises and will next be on Mariner this spring. However, having been recently on Oceania Riviera and Nautica, I totally agree with Hambagahle's most excellent assessment of both lines, especially her comments while currently onboard Riviera, here and the Oceania board.

Based on our experiences, Oceania Riviera was significantly above and beyond Mariner in almost every respect. Even factoring in the "non-inclusive" cost, the price is roughly the same but the food, restaurant options, service and cabins were markedly superior.

As for the "free" excursions, we gave up taking Regent's "free tours" after several were so poorly conducted we realized we were far better touring on our own or with arranging in advance a private guide for certain ports.

Wendy, I think you will love Riviera when you cruise later this year. Perhaps after having been on Mariner again this spring my opinion will change. As of now, I do think that Riviera is a significantly better ship and experience. I look forward to Hambagahle's pro/con summation once she returns home and posts.

The PH on Oceania is comparable to the standard Regent Suites. That said on the Baltic Itinerary where we had no sea days we opted for a Concierge A Cabin which was adequate since we were not going to be lounging in the cabin at all. We have a PH3 reserved on Riviera for our November Crossing since we will probably spend time in the cabin.

We had a PH3 Riviera penthouse on the transatlantic this November. I am confident you will be impressed and really enjoy that cabin. Forewarning: if you are PH3 on Deck 11 under the Terrace Cafe, you will experience noise early morning (4-6 am) due to staff moving furniture - even though the area above the cabin is carpeted.

We tried to move but penthouses were sold out. We booked a future cruise on Riviera but opted to go for a penthouse on Deck 10. Our annoyance with that early a.m. noise on 11 was echoed by Oceania Ambassador Club reps in charge of selling future cruises onboard.

The PH on Oceania is comparable to the standard Regent Suites.

The size difference between 322 ft2 on the R class ships and 420 ft2 on the new builds and the layout differential seems dramatic.

Which Oceania PH are you comparing to a standard Regent suite?

Thanks.:)

The PH on Oceania is comparable to the standard Regent Suites. That said on the Baltic Itinerary where we had no sea days we opted for a Concierge A Cabin which was adequate since we were not going to be lounging in the cabin at all. We have a PH3 reserved on Riviera for our November Crossing since we will probably spend time in the cabin.

Kathy, the PH suites that we have booked next November on Riviera are bigger than standard Voyager cabins. Whether the layout is good or not remains to be seen.

We had a PH3 Riviera penthouse on the transatlantic this November. I am confident you will be impressed and really enjoy that cabin. Forewarning: if you are PH3 on Deck 11 under the Terrace Cafe, you will experience noise early morning (4-6 am) due to staff moving furniture - even though the area above the cabin is carpeted.

Our PH3 is on deck 10, mid-ship.

Kathy, the PH suites that we have booked next November on Riviera are bigger than standard Voyager cabins. Whether the layout is good or not remains to be seen.

Our PH3 is on deck 10, mid-ship.

The layout of the Penthouse Suites on the Marina/Riviera are great!! The suites are 420 square feet which is a nice size. You won't be disappointed.

The layout of the suite is the best we have had at sea and we have been on Regent, Seabourn and Silversea in a comparable suite.

Archived