Regent and Oceania

forevertravel

We, too, are seriously considering trying Oceania in the near future, and truly appreciate all the input from all of you.

We've only started cruising 10 years ago and have to-date sailed six times with Regent (with a seventh coming up next month) and once on Paul Gauguin and have been mostly happy with our experience, but after reading about the Riviera we're intrigued.

Can't wait to read the upcoming comparison! :)

I don't think it makes too much difference when you visit this part of the world near the equator. We visited Bangkok in early March a few years back and it was very hot & humid. So what, we still had a great time and just took 3 showers a day (1 in morning after a tour, 1 in afternoon after the pool and 1 at night). It's not stopping us for going on the 3 day precruise in India mid April. Enjoy.

• 8 months later...

I'm looking at the different Alaska 2014 cruises and have it narrowed down to Oceania Regatta and Regent Navigator, but I just can't seem to make a final decision and I'm starting to get analysis paralysis. The Oceania is a 10-day out of San Francisco (so no flight out needed), while the Regent is from Vancouver.

On Navigator we're looking at the concierge suite, while on Regatta I'm considering the Penthouse 1. I'm unsure what the beverage package is on the Regatta, so I don't know how to compare that in the cost. In regards to excursions on Oceania, I've gone through and seen what each one costs and have put together a budget for everything I can give a best guess at.

All told, the Oceania is still less expensive. I like the look of the Regatta better than the Navigator, but I'm really worried about the fact that it's not an all-inclusive experience. Having to produce proof of a beverage package, or keep track of our spending on alcohol while on ship seems like such a pain.

A little about us to help:

Also, I should mention this is our first-ever cruise, but we're well traveled. We're also foodies, and our #1 hobbies are eating and drinking (good wine & spirits). Bad food is a huge turnoff for me on a vacation. That said, I understand not everything, everywhere can be an upscale experience so I'm as comfortable at a pub eating bar food as I am at a Top 100 restaurant. We're also not snobs when it comes to hotels, but have grown accustomed to nice hotels (our most recent stay was The Caledonian in Ediburgh, a Waldorf Astoria).

So, help a lady out will you?

I have not been on Regatta but have been on Navigator in Alaska several times as recently as this June. There is little difference between a Concierge Suite and a regular suite. However, in Alaska...some excursions do sell out and you can reserve excursions earlier with a Concierge category unless you are Gold and above with Seven Seas Society.

Regent is all inclusive but keep in mind that you still have a sizeable upcharge for many of the better excursions in Alaska (Tracey Arm, whalewatching). I have found the food to lack consistency. We have had some great meals/cruises on Regent and a couple of lousy ones with both of my bad cruises being on Navigator.

I have sailed the Regatta and the Navigator. And I have been twice to Alaska.

They are both lovely ships. You can see the decor on websites or here on Cruise Critic in the Photo Boards.

Our first Regent cruise totally spoiled me but it was on the Mariner;

The Navigator lay out doesn't have a forward viewing lounge; The Aft lounge is ok. The PH cabin on Regatta is square configuration and the Navigator is more rectangular; The Regatta closet is a standard cabinet style but the Navigator has walk in closets. If you are a bathroom person - the Navigator bathroom has a marble tub and separate shower; Lots of room. The Regatta has serviceable baths but very small.

The excursions will be the same; However, in Alaska - you speak the language. It is very very easy to book your excursions in Alaska on your own. For example, Whale Watching in Juneau - they will pick you up at the ship. Flightseeing Mendenhall Glacier - same. Walk to Mt. Roberts Tram - across the street. Ships dock in Ketchikhan and Juneau - right in the middle of town. Skagway too; Sitka - tender in and you can see St. Michaels on your own for $5. donation, the Russian Dancers are off the tender. My favorite ever excursion was a flight to the Taku Glacier Lodge; Kiosk just off to the left of the dock in Juneau. Salmon dinner and 45 minute narrated flight over the glaciers. We paid double the price at the dock to take it with Regent.

Go to the Ports of Call board for Alaska. Find out if what you want to do is listed there and then you can do it by Oceania; Or if you want them to do it all for you - Regent. It's all included. Excursions are expensive in Alaska. The food and drink are comparable with an edge to Regent but not by enough.

I'm looking at the different Alaska 2014 cruises and have it narrowed down to Oceania Regatta and Regent Navigator, but I just can't seem to make a final decision and I'm starting to get analysis paralysis. The Oceania is a 10-day out of San Francisco (so no flight out needed), while the Regent is from Vancouver.

On Navigator we're looking at the concierge suite, while on Regatta I'm considering the Penthouse 1. I'm unsure what the beverage package is on the Regatta, so I don't know how to compare that in the cost. In regards to excursions on Oceania, I've gone through and seen what each one costs and have put together a budget for everything I can give a best guess at.

All told, the Oceania is still less expensive. I like the look of the Regatta better than the Navigator, but I'm really worried about the fact that it's not an all-inclusive experience. Having to produce proof of a beverage package, or keep track of our spending on alcohol while on ship seems like such a pain.

Also, I should mention this is our first-ever cruise, but we're well traveled. We're also foodies, and our #1 hobbies are eating and drinking (good wine & spirits). Bad food is a huge turnoff for me on a vacation. That said, I understand not everything, everywhere can be an upscale experience so I'm as comfortable at a pub eating bar food as I am at a Top 100 restaurant. We're also not snobs when it comes to hotels, but have grown accustomed to nice hotels (our most recent stay was The Caledonian in Ediburgh, a Waldorf Astoria).

If you buy a Premium liquor package on Oceania, it will set you back $59.95 per day, per person. There is a cheaper package for just wine/beer at lunch and dinner, no drinks in bars, can't remember how much that is.

We did Navigator Alaska, SF to Vancouver last year. Loved it, and the excursions we chose were great--a couple had an upcharge, but most were included. Bear in mind that Oceania cruises tend to have very active roll-calls where passengers go in together on private excursions--this keeps the cost down--Oceania excursions are outrageously priced.

..:) We have multiple cruises on both Oceania and Regent. Bear in mind that one of the joys for many on an Alaska cruise is the viewing of both scenery and wild life from a FORWARD facing lounge or suite. For this reason alone Oceania may be your best choice as Navigator has no forward facing lounge...It is all in what matters most to the two of you. Both ships will render a great experience. Fair winds and following seas!:D

But nothing beat sail-aways on the aft heated veranda outside Nacigator's Gallileos, cocktail in hand!

Except that people smoke out there... At least did the last time I was on board.

For me food is the most important issue. And regent does not begin to compare to Oceania on food....

MMMMMM...food. Have not tried Oceania but the food on both our RSSC cruises was pretty good. Yes, smoking is allowed on the aft veranda but it did not pose a problem... and I am a big smoke free advocate ( and in the early,days, led a community coalition with our local Board or Health to enact clean indoor air legislation).

Except that people smoke out there... At least did the last time I was on board.

For me food is the most important issue. And regent does not begin to compare to Oceania on food....

...We have and still do cruise on both lines. I tend to agree with you that on average Oceania outdoes Regent in the foodservice department. A lot has to do with the head chef aboard Regent at the time you happen to be aboard. It is my opinion that on average, Oceania has the better executive chefs and General Managers. Regent remains our favored line because of so many other things. For instance, even though a bit smaller, we prefer a Mariner Suite over an Oceania Suite because of lay out. Call us crazy but the Oceania media area in the OS category is just too cave like for us. Many or perhaps most who book that category really like the separate media area...Horses for courses I guess....Fair Winds & Following Seas....Always.

..:) Especially if it is Vieuve Cliquot and 3 or 4 stuffed jalapeno poppers...Just sayin....:D
Is Vueve Cliquot an option, or is that an upsell on an already high price? I hate to feel nickel & dimed once I've already put out a lot of money for something that is supposed to be luxury (see also: paying for WiFi at 5-star hotels).

You all have given me much to think about. Many thanks.

I think I need to go search out more photos as I'm a highly visual person. And let's be honest, we eat with our eyes before our mouths, so I'd definitely be interested in seeing what the food looks like.

I'm also still having a hard time wrapping my head around this liquor thing. A travel agent that specializes in both cruise lines told me that both consider Bushmills, for example, to be their best Irish whiskey. I saw a list of blends and bourbons and it's stuff that I started drinking to become a whisky/bourbon fan ... not what I'd consider luxury.

My husband is definitely getting tired of me going back & forth on this and I think I've just about driven him nuts so I need to make a decision soon.

If you buy a Premium liquor package on Oceania, it will set you back $59.95 per day, per person. There is a cheaper package for just wine/beer at lunch and dinner, no drinks in bars, can't remember how much that is.

We did Navigator Alaska, SF to Vancouver last year. Loved it, and the excursions we chose were great--a couple had an upcharge, but most were included. Bear in mind that Oceania cruises tend to have very active roll-calls where passengers go in together on private excursions--this keeps the cost down--Oceania excursions are outrageously priced.

Thanks for the info. Have you posted pics of the trip you took last year? I'm also trying to convince DH that we should consider the 12-day out of SF ... mostly so we don't have to deal with airports on at least one leg. If I'm going to be on a luxury cruise, I don't mind the idea of at sea days. In fact, right now, sitting on my veranda with a drink and a good book with nothing else to do sounds heavenly.

I could not agree with you more about sea days! Worth a longer cruise just to have some!

I've not cruised Oceania, but have taken 3 cruises to Alaska, 2 on the Navigator, and one on the Mariner. Given that I've returned twice is evidence that this is one of my favorite itineraries ever, especially to introduce my adult kids (at the time in their early 20's) to Regent.

While you can almost always find excursions less expensive than those on the ship if you go on Oceania, you'd have to get a pretty good estimate on the cost, and compare equal staterooms on the two lines to analyze the upsides and downsides of either for costs.

Once you make your decision, don't look back! You will have a great time whatever you choose.

Editing to say that on the Navigator, even when there was a forward lounge (where the gym is now) the forward viewing was blocked because it was set back behind the bow deck, and people in front of it blocked the really good views anyway. I remember being out on that bow freezing on my first trip.

Another thing to consider is the space on the ships for the number of passengers. I know the Regatta is one of the older ships, and not sure how the space per passenger is. These cruises seem to always be near full, so it may affect the "crowding" factor, especially when you are "at sea", yet still sightseeing from the ship.

In Alaska, I would choose Oceania over Regent's Navigator. It is so port intensive and, being in the United States, getting a few drinks off of the ship is easy to do. IMO, Regent cruises in Alaska are not representative of most Regent cruises -- many children and can be quite crowded. Plus, also IMO, the Navigator is not at its best when they are crowded because of the lack of public areas.

Wendy, the layout of the PH suites on the Riviera is much better than on the Voyager but not quite as good as the PH on the Mariner.

We were on Navigator in August....a full ship, not too crowded, and very few well behaved children. You may have seen my thread on the voyage at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1902226. I also posted a review in the RSSC review section on cruise critic.

I agree with a previous poster...no cruise will be perfection, so make your choice and go for it! I just like paying up front and then thoroughly relaxing on the cruise. If you have some specific questions, feel free to email me at forgap at bellsouth dot net.

Enjoy the anticipation!

Archived