Mexican Riviera Cruises

Northshorecruisers

This is my favorite cruise and loved it when the Oosterdam was sailing it.

I see on HAL that they are again listing Mazatlan as a stop. Has anyone recently been there or have an upcoming MR cruise? I really wished they had kept the cruise having an overnight in PV....that would really make the cruise for me!

I see on HAL that they are again listing Mazatlan as a stop. Has anyone recently been there or have an upcoming MR cruise? I really wished they had kept the cruise having an overnight in PV....that would really make the cruise for me!

Mazatlan is a misprint, unfortunately. Doing this cruise in April & continuing on to Vancouver on the Zaandam. We go to Loreto, PV and Cabo & that's it for Mexico. :)

Your April cruise is an oddity. It shows correctly with Cabo, PV, and Loretto on the HAL site.

I'm talking about the normal Mexican Riviera cruises - San Diego, Cabo, Mazatlan, PV, San Diego. For awhile, HAL had dropped Mazatlan and instead was overnighting in PV. What I want to know is if they have started going back to Mazatlan again. Although now that I read that Randi of Randi's Happy Horses has passed away - I don't know what we would do there.

I think they made the decision last year like most other cruise lines to drop Mazatlan becasue of the fear assiocated with violence and the Mexican drug wars in that City. That's why the OV in PV which makes a MR cruise only 2 stops PV and Cabo.

I wish they had a Vista class ship on the run not enough balcony's on the Zaandam

I wish they had a Vista class ship doing the MR as well. It's such a nice trip to have breakfast on your verandah in the morning and the regular verandah's just aren't big enough IMO.

I noticed when looking at these trips that HAL lists Mazatlan as a stop but another web cruise site doesn't - it lists the overnight in PV

I also agree I wish they would bring a back Vista ship to the West Coast.

We went to Mexico in December and did not go to Mazatlan. We spent 2 day in Puerto Vallarta. I don't think they have any plans to go back to Mazatlan anytime soon.

The ship that will take over next year is the Veendam, even smaller then the Zaandam. It only has one pool.

I think they made the decision last year like most other cruise lines to drop Mazatlan becasue of the fear assiocated with violence and the Mexican drug wars in that City. That's why the OV in PV which makes a MR cruise only 2 stops PV and Cabo.

I wish they had a Vista class ship on the run not enough balcony's on the Zaandam

Please, someone,,,,,,, anyone

Could you kindly tell me what the underlined sentence says? I am scratching my head guessing what this says. :eek:

Thanks, if someone can translate. :D

I think it means: the OVernight in Puerto Vallarta which makes the Mexican Riviera cruise only 2 stops, Puerto Vallarta and Cabo San whatever. But then those of us on the east coast don't throw those names around every day so we need them spelled out for us.

Don't you just love CC shorthand?

the2ofus is correct. Sorry. Maybe this is why the MR (Mexican Riviera) hasn't caught on for the beautiful cruise that it is - no one knows what we're talking about :(

The first time we took this cruise - which is the first time we cruised so that's probably why it's so special to me - the trip was:

San Diego

Day at Sea

Cabo San Lucas

Mazatlan

Puerto Vallarta

Day at Sea

Day at Sea

San Diego

Then the trip changed to 2 days at sea in the beginning and only 1 day at sea tagged onto the end.

With all the Mexican problems, HAL stopped visiting Mazatlan and when the ship got to Puerto Vallarta, you stayed overnight.

We haven't cruised a lot but I have to say that this was our favorite trip. Part of that has to be that it sails from San Diego. We always like to spend a day or two before boarding to enjoy the area. Guess I just haven't had enough time in San Diego and exploring Cabo and PV.

I can't imagine a trip better than the MR being on an aft suite balcony. It's easy to understand why some on this board took this trip numerous times ( Hi Lisa :D). The only thing better would be being in the Penthouse.

I think it means: the OVernight in Puerto Vallarta which makes the Mexican Riviera cruise only 2 stops, Puerto Vallarta and Cabo San whatever. But then those of us on the east coast don't throw those names around every day so we need them spelled out for us.

Don't you just love CC shorthand?

Thanks. :rolleyes:

I didn't have a clue what that was supposed to mean.

So many abbreviations...... :confused:

I can't keep up. I'll use being an East Coaster as my excuse. :)

I wish they would put Mazatlan back into the itinerary, too. I like that port better than Cabo, to be honest once you get away from the actual port, which is industrial. An overnight in PV (sorry, Sail - Puerto Vallarta:D) is OK but small compensation for that third port.

I also would like to see Mazatlan again, or at least a comparable alternative like Manzanillo. We also preferred Mazatlan to Cabo we went cruised the Mexican Riviera on the Oosterdam a couple of years ago.

We live in San Diego so this was the easiest vacation ever! No hurry to get to the ship (we boarded at 2pm), no hurry to get off the ship, and we brought as much luggage as we wanted. I wouldn't mind doing it again but having only two port stops is disappointing.

igraf

I wish they would put Mazatlan back into the itinerary, too. I like that port better than Cabo, to be honest once you get away from the actual port, which is industrial. An overnight in PV (sorry, Sail - Puerto Vallarta:D) is OK but small compensation for that third port.

Balconies are too expensive on Zaandam, nice as they are.

If one were to stay in the old town part of Mazatlan, there would be very little possibility of crime that has been known to occur in other parts of the area.

Mazatlan is a good place. Not as commercialized as Cabo. Even in the late 90's Cabo was not bad; but now, it is just too much for us. PV is OK for a one-day stop, but I cannot rationalize staying overnight.

We did Ryndam into Sea of Cortez several years ago. Loreto was a great place to stop, not commercialized at all, just like Old Mexico. The prices in the shops and locals who are friendly reflect that lack of tourist mind-set.

Jim

Dear East Coasters-

PV is Peurto Vallarta, Cabo is Cabo San Lucas, OV is Overnight. The MR (Mexican Riveria) is a lovely 7 day curise for us West Coasters since we don't have to take an entire day and fly across the country stay a pre-cuise night in a hotel just to get on a ship. Getting to San Diego from anywhere in the Pacific or Mountain time zones is pretty easy.

The Mexican Riveria is very nice and us West Coasters are just upset at the lack of ports to visit the curise is now down to 2 ports and at least 3 full sea days. Maybe they will start going up the Sea of Cortez more and stopping in La Paz and or Loretto

-Paul

If one were to stay in the old town part of Mazatlan, there would be very little possibility of crime that has been known to occur in other parts of the area.

Mazatlan is a good place. Not as commercialized as Cabo. Even in the late 90's Cabo was not bad; but now, it is just too much for us. PV is OK for a one-day stop, but I cannot rationalize staying overnight.

We did Ryndam into Sea of Cortez several years ago. Loreto was a great place to stop, not commercialized at all, just like Old Mexico. The prices in the shops and locals who are friendly reflect that lack of tourist mind-set.

Jim

I really enjoy Mazatlan. I'm a big jewelry fan and I've purchased many interesting stone and silver pieces. I really miss going there. A former colleague spends at least a month a year there and has never had an problems with violence. I think the caribbean is far more dangerous then Mexico and the cruiselines still go there.

I live in San Diego and my husband has aspergers, so he loves leaving out of here. He hates all the unknowns of flying and different airports and all the stuff that can go wrong. Getting him to take our first cruise was not easy. My brother-in-law talked him into it and now he loves it. We are taking our 3rd MR cruise in March. Next year I'm going to Alaska though, with or without him.

We are going on this cruise in 2 weeks, overnight in PV, also stop in Cabo. No Mazatlan which we don't really care about. Haven't been to PV for many years, but looking forward to a lunch at Daquari Dick's.

12 Day Sea of Cortez, sailing Dec. 4, 2013, Statendam.

San Diego

Cabo

La Paz

Loreto

Guaymas

Topolobampo

Puerto Vallarta

Sure wish the Zaandam was doing this on April 5th & continuing on to Vancouver. I would have even settled for the Statendam if it was an April sailing in Mexico with continuation to Vancouver. I love La Paz and Guaymas. Wish the Zaandam was going there this April. :)

Archived