Please set the record straight, Men!

cwbabe48

Anyone just off a Holland cruise, please please clarify if a man is denied entry into the MDR on formal nights if he does NOT have a jacket on, but a very nice shirt and tie?

Confused and nervous, all packed with no jacket

Thanks

Marcia

It is very inconsistent from ship to ship and actually from night to night.

We have done a great many b-to-b's and on one week we may have seen a gentleman permitted in the dining room with shirt and jacket with no tie but the next week, we have seen them turned away with no jacket.

If you know you want to dine in MDR on formal nights, plan to dress to code and you will not have to worry.

NO ONE here can promise you that you will be permitted entry to MDR on formal night if you are not dressed to HAL's code.

You can always take your chances - but as mentioned above if you're not dressed to "code" you can be turned away.

Another option if you don't want the bulkiness of packing a suit is to rent. My husband always rents a tux for formal nights. It's in the cabin when you arrive and just leave it there when you leave. Not sure, but the site might even rent suits.

We like to dress for formal nights and it's part of our cruise experience. I like the ambiance of the ship on formal nights. I understand that other people don't like to dress up, and that's fine too. It's not going to ruin my cruise.

We watched a conversation in front of us when a gent turned up with no jacket. It was quite embarrassing, though the maitre de tried to be discreet. The guy's wife turned red, took all the blame and said she had not realised. The maitre de said he could provide one, but they opted to return to their room instead. I didnt see them come back so maybe they ate elsewhere.

:(:(:(

It's all a matter of who is minding the door on any given evening. Some of the Dining Room Managers could care less about dress code. (especially the younger ones)

...and others are real sticklers. It's the luck of the draw. Better to be prepared.

I am just amused that so many people even pay attention to what is going on at the maitre d's station. It appears as if it is a part of the evening entertainment on "formal nights."

Did anyone post that? I guess I missed it. People notice stuff.

My recommendation would be to take the jacket!

I can state that when we sailed on the Westerdam I hung my jacket up in the hotel room the night before we left for the ship. The next morning in the excitement of leaving for our cruise, I made the mistake of leaving my suit in the hotel room. :rolleyes:

Before dinner on the formal night, I went to the MDR and spoke with the maitre d, who offered to loan me a jacket, but the ship unfortunately didn't have one that fit. I wore my shirt and tie with a pair of slacks, but I felt out of place in a dining room where every other man in the room was wearing a jacket.

So yes it is possible to do, but its not a guarantee. Take the jacket, better safe than sorry

Okay, you've got me wound up here. The dress code is there for a reason. Most people are in favour of it. If you are in doubt, just look at the number of people who arrive in attire that is unquestionably formal. They are looking forward to the formal experience, and that experience includes everyone in the room.

If you don't wish to participate, fair enough. There are several other alternatives available to you. But please don't think it is acceptable to push the boundaries just to see what you can get away with. That is just plain discourteous and disrespectful. It is even more discourteous and disrespectful to put the dining room staff in a position where they have to make a judgement call and thereby create tension for all concerned, just to preserve the dignity and decorum of the occasion.

DH went into the MDR to tell our table partners we were unable to join them due to a terrible cold. He was handed a jacket in a very pleasant manner, until he explained he was just going to pass on a message and then leave again. I like that!

On the Zuiderdam in July, it was either a jacket or a tie. You didn't have to have both but you did have to be wearing at least one of those things. Men with neither were either given a jacket or turned away. My husband had a tie on and was prepared to take a loaner jacket, but he didn't end up being given one.

On the Zuiderdam in July, it was either a jacket or a tie. You didn't have to have both but you did have to be wearing at least one of those things. Men with neither were either given a jacket or turned away. My husband had a tie on and was prepared to take a loaner jacket, but he didn't end up being given one.

Who made that new rule that is in contradiction to HAL's stated policy? :confused: Was that either or policy printed in daily program, announced on the speaker system? How was it broadcast to guests to learn among all the HAL ships, Zuiderdam has a different policy?

Thanks if you can clear that up for me.

On the Westy this fall's Hawaii/SP cruise in the MDR for formal night there were gentlemen in just a shirt and tie, no jacket.

Okay, dress code cop mode ON, and the shirts typically looked as much a short sleeve pajama top as a dress shirt and typically were wearing beat athletic shoes. :eek:

While I couldn't care less that they weren't wearing the "approved" clothing, it was comical to see what "passed" in their mind as formal! Some of the best time on that cruise involved keeping a straight face on formal nights. :D

Derek

Archived