Please set the record straight, Men!

cwbabe48

Who made that new rule that is in contradiction to HAL's stated policy? :confused: Was that either or policy printed in daily program, announced on the speaker system? How was it broadcast to guests to learn among all the HAL ships, Zuiderdam has a different policy?

Thanks if you can clear that up for me.

It wasn't broadcasted, that I can remember. My husband was fully expecting to have to take a jacket when we got to the MDR. I can check our Explorers later today and get back to you on that.

The line was lengthy when we were waiting to get into the MDR on the formal nights so I was people watching and that was the pattern. Men who were wearing dress shirts and ties, but no jackets were seated without comment. Men without ties or jackets were offered a jacket. I don't know, maybe they didn't have enough loaner jackets to go around?

Okay, you've got me wound up here. The dress code is there for a reason. Most people are in favour of it. If you are in doubt, just look at the number of people who arrive in attire that is unquestionably formal. They are looking forward to the formal experience, and that experience includes everyone in the room.

If you don't wish to participate, fair enough. There are several other alternatives available to you. But please don't think it is acceptable to push the boundaries just to see what you can get away with. That is just plain discourteous and disrespectful. It is even more discourteous and disrespectful to put the dining room staff in a position where they have to make a judgement call and thereby create tension for all concerned, just to preserve the dignity and decorum of the occasion.

Hi, We agree with you. We think it is part of the fun on the cruise. We enjoy dressing up. We are from a smaller Texas Town and don't get to dress up a lot .:D LOL, Also if any one doesn't want to there are other places to eat. Bill

You can always take your chances - but as mentioned above if you're not dressed to "code" you can be turned away.

Another option if you don't want the bulkiness of packing a suit is to rent. My husband always rents a tux for formal nights. It's in the cabin when you arrive and just leave it there when you leave. Not sure, but the site might even rent suits.

We like to dress for formal nights and it's part of our cruise experience. I like the ambiance of the ship on formal nights. I understand that other people don't like to dress up, and that's fine too. It's not going to ruin my cruise.

Check out the Cruiseline Formalwear website - they also have regular suits & jackets for rent. Saves a lot of room in your suitcase, but you will be more comfortable being dressed like the majority. Tuxedos are worn by a lot of the men, but certainly not all.

in my observation and opinion, this whole 'dress code' read 'suggestion' will just die out and very soon. hal is now not more than a mass-market line; not a premium line. and even the upscale lines no longer profer the supposed 'dress code' that hal does. and hal is desperate for younger customers, who are not going to embrace tuxes and gowns on any night, formal or not. this is just a 'grab' at the past. just dress neatly and that is enough. if the old 'foxes' complain, just smile and laugh them off.

The dress code is there for a reason. Most people are in favour of it. If you are in doubt, just look at the number of people who arrive in attire that is unquestionably formal. They are looking forward to the formal experience, and that experience includes everyone in the room.

Just because one follows the code doesn't mean they like it...I always follow the dress code but that doesn't mean I am in favor of it...In my opinion if they made formal night optional, many of those who now dress formal, would not...On a HAL med cruise I was on, they made one night formal-optional and most dressed casual.

in my observation and opinion, this whole 'dress code' read 'suggestion' will just die out and very soon. hal is now not more than a mass-market line; not a premium line. and even the upscale lines no longer profer the supposed 'dress code' that hal does. and hal is desperate for younger customers, who are not going to embrace tuxes and gowns on any night, formal or not. this is just a 'grab' at the past. just dress neatly and that is enough. if the old 'foxes' complain, just smile and laugh them off.

I've heard that prediction for years and it hasn't happened yet. HAL chooses not to enforce it all the time.

I like dressing up I have to fly also usually cross country. I bought two gowns last year just for cruising. I am in my mid sixities. Its special to dress up I live in slacks and jeans.

Mary

I'm with you, Mary. I get so tired of being in jeans most of the time. And I a way beyond the age where they can be considered classy or flattering on me! More's the pity.

Archived