WJ vs. MDR-B-fast & lunch

mation101

Just off Adventure and DH and I came to a shocking realization. We would rather eat in the MDR than WJ for bfast and lunch. We have been die hard WJ fans for over 30 cruises, but because of the crowding on our last B2B we decided to try the MDR.

I always assumed that the food was basically the same, and didnt want to deal with the sit down get waited on experience.

Well the food is not the same, it is better selection and quality in the MDR.

For bfast you still have a fruit and cereal buffet, but there is also a build your own granola station that has premium ingredients like pecans and dates. The fruit is better as the watermelon is seedless in the MDR and not in the WJ. There is also strawberries, grapes, and figs. You can also order off the menu hot to order eggs, pancakes, french toast, etc. Dont forget the eggs benedict!!

Lunch was only served on sea days unfortunately, the Tutti salad bar is the bomb!! You pick your ingredients, they put them in a bowl and toss them for you. Tons of veggie and cheese choices, and then shrimp, chicken, salmon, and tuna for the protein. Also a nice menu to order hot food from.

So if you dont like the crowded noisy WJ and are afraid the MDR is too formal, try it just once, and you might be surprised like we were.

The other plus was the private dining area for the C & A upper levels, much more peacefull, and great service.

We have decided to go to the MDR everyday for breakfast on our last couple of cruises (one on Royal - one on Carnival). I love ordering exactly what I want and it being prepared just for me. I really didn't like the buffet thing - items sit too long and the quality really isn't that good.

We haven't don't the MDR for lunch - but I think we will on our next cruise.

They do.... you have to stand and wait.....

That depends. We're early risers and have coffee at the cafe. At 7, we head to the WJ. DH gets both orders of fried eggs while I get the toast, bacon, sausages and tater tots. In about five minutes, we're both walking towards a choice of tables by the aft windows.

We've been cruising since before the days of buffets on ships. All your meals, except for the daily midnight buffets, were taken at an assigned table in the MDR.

We will eat breakfast in the WJ if we have to make an excursion on a port day, other wise, we love the MDR where everything is hot and fresh and made to order.

If it's a sea day, I will be in the MDR for my Tutti salad. It's one of my favorite cruise ship treats

Is there a specific dress code for the breakfast in the MDR? Going on FOS 3/17.

I usually wear shorts / capris and a T-shirt; on sea days maybe a sun dress over my swimming costume. Tank tops for men are never allowed. Generally what I will be wearing for the rest of the day.

What time does the MDR open for breakfast?

7.30am on the last cruise I took.... you will need to check your daily compass for times to confirm

On Explorer of the Seas times were: Only served on lowest floor of Dining Room. They seat you as you come in to fill up tables. You can request a table for 2, 4 or 6. But you may have to wait a bit before something opens up, otherwise they will seat you at a table of 8.

Breakfast: 8am to 10am

Lunch: 12 Noon to 1:30pm

That depends. We're early risers and have coffee at the cafe. At 7, we head to the WJ. DH gets both orders of fried eggs while I get the toast, bacon, sausages and tater tots. In about five minutes, we're both walking towards a choice of tables by the aft windows.

Us too ... We've never had to wait. In fact, the last time we had the waitress volunteer to bring our eggs to the table. I don't like waiting for the MDR to open.

Check with the MDR staff at dinner, they frequently tell us. I believe I've seen it in the compass and on the electronic signs on Allure. I think the actual time can vary somewhat on sea days, port days, and I THINK they open a little earlier on the last day.

I am a huge fan of MDR for as many meals as I can (except formal nights, apparently we're not very formal foodies). DH and I *LOVE* the granola bar. There is nothing like it in the WJ and we miss it on the last day because they don't have it that day. I've also become a fan of the salad bar on sea days. I also enjoy having a table for two in the MDR for breakfast and lunch, I kind of hate reintroducing myself to new people every morning and afternoon. We also try to sit with the same wait staff and they learn your "usuals" which is what I love about cruising. I love that "special" treatment and the waiters and assistant waiters who "know" us in the MDR. The WJ just doesn't hold that experience for me.

Also we dress super casual (no bathing suits) in MDR for breakfast and lunch.

Archived