Diamond Princess changes 2014

Princess have released program for Diamond Princess post dry-dock in Singapore in March 2014. It is being based in Japan from April through October 2014, joining Sun Princess in that market. DP is returning to Singapore in late October so suspect it will head further south for its usual Australia and New Zealand season. Bookings through to October 2014 are now open.

Princess have released program for Diamond Princess post dry-dock in Singapore in March 2014. It is being based in Japan from April through October 2014, joining Sun Princess in that market. DP is returning to Singapore in late October so suspect it will head further south for its usual Australia and New Zealand season. Bookings through to October 2014 are now open.

There goes my dream of a cruise on the Diamond Princess from Vancouver to Bangkok. Interesting that Princess are basing two ships in Japan. They obviously have done their homework and consider that market is strong enough. I wonder if the fact that the Diamond was built in Japan makes her more popular.

Interesting to see which ship replaces her for the Alaskan season.

cheers

Stu

There goes my dream of a cruise on the Diamond Princess from Vancouver to Bangkok. Interesting that Princess are basing two ships in Japan. They obviously have done their homework and consider that market is strong enough. I wonder if the fact that the Diamond was built in Japan makes her more popular.

Interesting to see which ship replaces her for the Alaskan season.

cheers

Stu

Yes Diamond and Sapphire both built by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries in Japan. The Japanese pax might like that. You have a point there !

Yes Diamond and Sapphire both built by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries in Japan. The Japanese pax might like that. You have a point there !

Yes and they were both built at the same time. As I recall one caught fire as it was nearing completion, so they completed the second one and swapped names , as bookings had already been made in advance.

Yes and they were both built at the same time. As I recall one caught fire as it was nearing completion, so they completed the second one and swapped names , as bookings had already been made in advance.

That was the current Diamond. The sapphire was due to come out firts but then they had a fire onboard causing large delays. So instead of delaying the ship they switched the ship with the Diamond Princess. So the current Sapphire is really the original Diamond and the current Diamond is really the original Sapphire.

Itineraries are published. Looks like a good opportunity to go to Japan in 2014. Diamond Princess is a great ship and I would prefer it over the Sun Princess any day.

The ship that caught fire under construction is sailing under the name Sapphire Princess as of this very day. It was to be the Diamond Princess.

I have always wanted a good cruising reason to go to Japan and looks like I just might have it next year. It says 9 days. I wish they would publish it as nights as days is a sneaky way of including embarkation and disembarkation day as a full day onboard.

Yes it looks like Sapphire Princes will be taking over from Diamond Princess for the Xmas New Year period 2014/15 for Australia New Zealand which will leave Diamond Princess operating out of Asia Year round being Singapore and Japan based.

Its the other way around. The sapphire caught on fire and is now sailing as the Diamond.

No it was actually the Diamond Princess that caught fire and was renamed to Sapphire Princess. The reason I know is 1.) because I have cruised on Sapphire Princess for its maiden season and it was common knowledge.

The clue is the order of the ships. The order always was Diamond Princess and then Sapphire Princess. The Diamond Princess was always to be sent into service first. So when the fire occured on the original Diamond Princess it set its schedule back as the Diamond Princess was due to enter service they had to push ahead with Sapphrie Princess and it was renamed Diamond Princess to avoid changing all the paperworkd regarding the passengers.

The entry on wikipedia is wrong.

The original Diamond Princess caught fire and it is the ship we know today as Sapphrie princess the one that caught fire.

Also for reference check http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=652

and http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/261607-diamond-princess-fire-photo.html

A quick google search will prove it was the original Diamond Princess that caught fire. Some imbecile has written wikipedia wrong so I will change that now.

Edited by Sutho

Further to it the Diamond Princess entered service on March 13th 2004 and the Sapphire Princess on June 13th 2004.

http://www.princess.com/news/backgrounders_and_fact_sheets/factsheet/Diamond-Princess-Fact-Sheet.html

http://www.princess.com/news/backgrounders_and_fact_sheets/factsheet/Sapphire-Princess-Fact-Sheet.html

The Diamond Princess was always to be the lead ship and Princess had to maintain it as the lead ship. So when the fire broke out on Diamond Princess it was easy to switch names with the Sapphire Princess and have the Diamond Princess enter service on schedule. In fact the orininal Sapphire Princess was ahead of schedule and repairs to the damaged Diamond Princess (renamed Sapphire Princess) was so fast that the newly named Sapphire Princess managed to enter service ahead of schedule 3 months after Diamond Princess entered service.

All the stories on wikipedia are garbage and I have taken the liberty of changing some. Their contracts and building started well before the Carnival merger when P&O was still in control of Princess. If the Carnival merger had not happened Princess might have built more ships in Japan as Carnival seemed to favour Italy and Finland to build their ships. Princess had a habbit of awarding contracts all around the world. France built the Coral and Island Princess, Japan built the Diamond and Sapphire Princess, Italy built the Sun and Grand class. The original Royal Princess was built in Finland. The Sky Princess (Pacific Sky) and the Star Princess (Arcadia, Ocean Village and Pacific Pearl) were built in France. Since the Carnival merger all ships have been built in Italy.

So the diamond princess be somewhere in Asia in Jan 2014? Does anyone know where? We are thinking about a ski trip in Japan then but I'd love to factor in a cruise. Currently looking at coming home through Singapore and doing a 6 night mariner of the seas cruise but would love to try the diamond if it could work.

Just found this on another thread.

'Princess cruises adds ships and homeports in Japan

After announcing Sun Princess' 2013 Japanese deployment last March, Princess Cruises has decided to double its fleet there in 2014 by adding Diamond Princess.

According to the line, Diamond Princess will join Sun Princess, cruising from three homeports -- Tokyo, Kobe, and Otaru. Between April and October, 2014, the two ships will offer 42 sailings and nine itineraries ranging from seven to nine days in length.

In a statement, the line said that "some changes and enhancements are being made to appeal to the local market," including Japanese-speaking crewmembers, a sushi bar, Japanese breakfasts, a noodle bar, regional teas and a sake menu. Changes to enrichment programmes, onboard shopping and spa treatments are also part of the localisation of the two ships.'

I wonder if they will adjust their smoking policy to cater for the Japanese market.:rolleyes:

cheers

Stu

• 9 months later...

Where does Diamond Princess dock in Melbourne? Is it in the city?

Where does Diamond Princess dock in Melbourne? Is it in the city?

The cruise ships dock at Station Pier.

There is a direct light rail link from the end of the pier into the city.

Heres an old shot from google images with 2 P&O Australia ships docked at the end of Station Pier. The ferry to Tasmania also leaves from there.

puf80.jpg

Heres an old shot from google images with 2 P&O Australia ships docked at the end of Station Pier. The ferry to Tasmania also leaves from there.

puf80.jpg

That's an excellent picture. In March both QM2 and Millenium berth there and I was worried they wouldn't fit. But it seems like they will.

That's an excellent picture. In March both QM2 and Millenium berth there and I was worried they wouldn't fit. But it seems like they will.

Yes, it's a good sized pier.

I expect one either side at the bottom (the top right is reserved for the Tassie ferry, and the top left is relatively more restricted than the other two).

puf80.jpg

Nice pic.

Pacific Sky and Pacific Sun, the former now razor blades, sadly.

Edit; or Hyundais'

Edited by yatchet

Yes, thats a geat picture. I believe they are Pacific Sun and Pacific Star. But please Kiwi Kruzer, Melbourne will always have trams and never light rail icon7.gif

Sydney has light rail but it Melbourne it will forever be trams.

Sapphire Princess and Diamond Princess are widely regarded by staff as their best ships. Seems the japanese just build a tighter, stronger vessel. Like a good Toyota or Honda everything fits and everything works or so they tell me.

Yes, thats a geat picture. I believe they are Pacific Sun and Pacific Star. But please Kiwi Kruzer, Melbourne will always have trams and never light rail icon7.gif

Sydney has light rail but it Melbourne it will forever be trams.

Sapphire Princess and Diamond Princess are widely regarded by staff as their best ships. Seems the japanese just build a tighter, stronger vessel. Like a good Toyota or Honda everything fits and everything works or so they tell me.

Yes, great vessels both of them.:D