Dress code

lovedvc

My family and I will be traveling with RCCL on the Oasis for the first time this summer. We have always sailed DCL. My question is the evening attire. We prefer to relax on vacation and my husband and boys almost always have worn shorts to dinner. Can you tell me what people wear to dinner at night on the Oasis? I appreciate any and all guidance you can give me.

Shorts are ok in the buffet...not in the dining room for dinner. Bring some docker-type pants for the menfolk and a collared shirt for all but "formal" evenings....when a suit or the very least...a jacket is the most common attire.

For breakfast and lunch in the dining room, shorts are fine!

Oasis has so many eating venues, you could conceivably avoid the dining room altogether! The "specialty" restaurants are "smart casual" every night.

We are just back from our first Oasis cruise. After the first night I never saw any men wearing shorts in the MDR. We had MTD and we usually requested shared seating with other couples. On formal nights I wore slacks, dress shirt and tie and we sat at a table for two. There many other men in similar attire although not the majority but it worked for me.

From now on no suit or sport coat in the suitcase; my snorkel gear takes up too much room.

There is no real dress code, just a suggested dress for the evening, some will dress according to the suggested dress code, many will not.

I do agree NO SHORTS........on any one or hats, shirts without collars(dirty old T shirts) But just look nice, and a little nicer on formal nights.

I don't get excited when putting on a suit & tie, but (I agree with WetToes) it only takes a few minutes to get chaned and put it away after dinner and if going to a show, who looks in the dark? (I do look a little out of place sometimes I suppose).

We are just back from our first Oasis cruise. After the first night I never saw any men wearing shorts in the MDR. We had MTD and we usually requested shared seating with other couples. On formal nights I wore slacks, dress shirt and tie and we sat at a table for two. There many other men in similar attire although not the majority but it worked for me.

From now on no suit or sport coat in the suitcase; my snorkel gear takes up too much room.

It takes up no room in the suitcase if you wear it.

Although the vast majority do not wear shorts in the MDR, some, including me, do wear shorts on occasion. Others here will tell you they have seen people turned away for wearing shorts and I have no reason to doubt them. From my personal experience on a lot of cruises and many different ships and having worn shorts many times in the MDR at dinner, I have never seen anyone turned away and have never had anyone say one word to me about it.

Although the vast majority do not wear shorts in the MDR, some, including me, do wear shorts on occasion. Others here will tell you they have seen people turned away for wearing shorts and I have no reason to doubt them. From my personal experience on a lot of cruises and many different ships and having worn shorts many times in the MDR at dinner, I have never seen anyone turned away and have never had anyone say one word to me about it.

I have never seen anyone turned away either, though the information I've seen on their website and printed in the Cruise Compass tends to say that shorts are not appropriate for the MDR in the evening. That's a little stronger wording than the other "suggest attire" information. But if you're determined to wear shorts anyway, I doubt anyone would confront you about it.

Most people have too much class to actually TELL you that you are inappropriately dressed. We were seated near the entrance on one cruise and did see people in shorts asked to either change or eat elsewhere. On other cruises when seated in other areas, of course we wouldn't have witnessed this.

My family and I will be traveling with RCCL on the Oasis for the first time this summer. We have always sailed DCL. My question is the evening attire. We prefer to relax on vacation and my husband and boys almost always have worn shorts to dinner. Can you tell me what people wear to dinner at night on the Oasis? I appreciate any and all guidance you can give me.

For dinner, the majority of men will be in slacks and a collared shirt (on non formal nights) . The majority will be in some sort of jacket/tie/suit/tux for formal night.

Most of the ships have a dress code notice outside the dining room indicating that shorts are not permitted. With that said, it seems that enforcement is not consistent.

M

Here's a suggestion (and it's been posted before):

1. Wear shorts to the MDR on the first night of the cruise. I believe they will allow it since not everyone has their luggage yet.

2. Explain to your waitstaff that all you packed were shorts so, in light of the dress suggestions, you won't be eating in the MDR for the rest of the cruise.

3. The waitstaff "won't hear of it", tell you not to worry about it and to "please come and dine with us!"

4. Wear shorts to the MDR for the rest of the cruise. If you are questioned at the entrance, explain that (insert waiter name here) gave you permission to come to the MDR dressed as you are.

5. You're in! Enjoy your cruise on your terms! :D

According to the Disney website, most meals are cruise casual. That is, no shorts, swimwear, or tank tops. There is at least one dress-up or formal night (depending on the length of the cruise) where jackets are requested (or formal/semi formal wear on the longer cruises). At the specialty restaurants, no jeans, shorts, capri pants, flip flops, or tennis shoes. This is the stated policy; I don't know how or if it is enforced.

According to the Disney website, most meals are cruise casual. That is, no shorts, swimwear, or tank tops. There is at least one dress-up or formal night (depending on the length of the cruise) where jackets are requested (or formal/semi formal wear on the longer cruises). At the specialty restaurants, no jeans, shorts, capri pants, flip flops, or tennis shoes. This is the stated policy; I don't know how or if it is enforced.
Better yet,choose a cruise line that doesn't have a dress code,you will be happier and so will the other people in the DR.:p

I've been on a couple DCL cruises and have worn shorts to dinner every night except formal night. And I was not in the minority. The website states that the no shorts in the MDR is a suggestion only. They don't turn anyone away for shorts and since it's a family cruise line, many people take advantage of this and the MDRs are pretty casual.

Now, the dress codes in the DCL specialty restaurants is another matter. There is a strict dress code there, and they do make guests adhere to it.

Archived