Want to do something Special

Arcticcat

Hi all, first time post. My girlfriend and I are going on Back to Back cruises at the beginning of March. Were flying from Wpg-Orlando, then renting a car to Miami. Our first cruise is Carnival Victory, second is Carnival Liberty.

A few questions...

#1. If we elect to remove auto tipping, will we be looked upon like cheapscapes? We want to tip as we go. Do they know that we opted out of auto tipping?

#2 Ports of call on first cruise is Cozumel, Nassau, Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk. Second Cruise is Cozumel, Belize, Mohagony bay (little French Key), Grand Cayman. I want to do something special at one of these ports. Any Ideas? Thanks in advance!

If you remove auto-tipping, any tips you provide will need to be put in the pool. Unless your tips individually are equal or greater than the percentage they get from the auto-tip, you aren't doing the staff any favors. You won't be looked at as cheapscapes, and they will do it, but at the end of the day, whomever you tip will only be allowed to keep what they would have received if you had left the auto (or less if you don't give that amount).

You are best off leaving the auto on, and then, if you wish, tipping above that.

With regards to the ports, you would best be served visiting the ports of call threads for the different places.

Maybe im old schooled, (im 36 lol) but Tipping before service is backwards to me. I don't feel comfortable with the auto tip mentality. I read a post somewhere else that an email goes out to all staff who opt out of auto tipping. That frankly concerns me.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

We always leave the auto tips in place. That way the crew can keep any extra tips we give them at the end of the cruise. We do not give extra tips at the begining of the cruise -- I know -- some people do to try and insure they get better service.

Hope you are allowing time to get from Orlando down to Miami - it is a long drive.

Half Moon Cay is a private island -- beach day -- free BBQ on the island. If you can't handle a lot of sun, rent a clamshell which has 2 loungers in it or if money is not a problem, rent a cabana.

Grand Cayman -- Stingray City.

Cozumel and Belize -- known for Mayan ruins.

#1. If we elect to remove auto tipping, will we be looked upon like cheapscapes? We want to tip as we go. Do they know that we opted out of auto tipping? no advantage to this at all, plus in the long run, the people who serve you may end up with LESS than if you had left the auto tip on. you will be tipping as you go on the bars/lounges anyway, but your servers and cabin attendant could be adversely affected. Understand that no matter WHERE you eat.. buffet, MDR, poolside, the portion of the auto gratuity for 'servers' covers everyone who serves you.

#2 Ports of call on first cruise is Cozumel, Nassau, Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk. Second Cruise is Cozumel, Belize, Mohagony bay (little French Key), Grand Cayman. I want to do something special at one of these ports. Any Ideas? Thanks in advance!

define 'special" want a massage on the beach? champagne breakfast? swim with the dolphins?

Just to put it in perspective. You have a job. Would it make a difference in how well you do it if you got your paycheck in advance? Hopefully not.

And the crew members don't actually get the amount until their next paycheck. Plus there are folks behind the scenes who get some of the auto-tip that you never see. Once you see what a fantastic job they do you'll understand and probably want to give them a bit more.

Hi all, first time post. My girlfriend and I are going on Back to Back cruises at the beginning of March. Were flying from Wpg-Orlando, then renting a car to Miami. Our first cruise is Carnival Victory, second is Carnival Liberty.

A few questions...

#1. If we elect to remove auto tipping, will we be looked upon like cheapscapes? We want to tip as we go. Do they know that we opted out of auto tipping?

This is some special in Nassau. Right next to port. Book a couples massage. :)

http://www.webfuzions.com/royalsuitespa/index.html

I often have wondered why the cruise ship company Dosnt just put the tip into the price. Then its automatic.... Think of an all inclusive vacation. I tip well for the service I get, the have yet to provide auto tipping so that every one to the cook gets a piece of the pie.

My gf has booked tonns of excursions, and left me with not many choices for doing something for her at port. Nassau I think we are taking a bust to some fish city or something ? Then going to a beach for the afternoon. I've always wanted to see Atlantis, but from all I have read, the water park could be very busy....

As for the drive from Orlando to Miami, we are leaving Orlando at 7 am, so we should be there for noon to embark on the ship.

A few questions...

Tipping as you go means that some of the people who would have gotten a percentage of the pooled money won't get anything from you because they are people you won't encounter but who still have been part of making your cruise enjoyable. So, to cover them, any tips you give will be turned in and pooled.

It is better to leave auto tipping in place and then give extra to those you wish to tip additionally. Then they will be able to keep the entire tip since it won't need to be pooled.

The reason the gratuity is not added to the fare is because the total fare is taxed, and commissioned.

To the OP, I agree with all who have posted here. I'd leave the auto tip in place.

I understand that you'd rather tip after the service has been rendered rather than before, but that tends to cut out some of the people who've been working hard (especially behind the scenes) to make your cruise a comfortable and enjoyable one.

Every cruise I've ever been on, the crew have gone out of their way to make the ship our perfect little home away from home. Like fyree, I also bring individual thank you cards with a little extra "somethin' somethin'" inside (usually for our servers and cabin steward who've gone above and beyond the call). Believe me when I say this--they earn EVERY dime.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

We always leave the auto tips in place. That way the crew can keep any extra tips we give them at the end of the cruise. We do not give extra tips at the begining of the cruise -- I know -- some people do to try and insure they get better service.

Hope you are allowing time to get from Orlando down to Miami - it is a long drive.

Half Moon Cay is a private island -- beach day -- free BBQ on the island. If you can't handle a lot of sun, rent a clamshell which has 2 loungers in it or if money is not a problem, rent a cabana.

Grand Cayman -- Stingray City.

Cozumel and Belize -- known for Mayan ruins.

From the time you leave the airport until the time that you reach the Port of Miami it's exactly 3 1/2 hours, and it's a very easy drive.

A few questions...

In Cozumel we did the Isla Passion on the fast boat which was awesome....I loved the boat ride and went to a private island with a nice buffet dinner and all you can drink mixed drinks and another time we did a taxi tour which was just ok, Nassau we took a taxi to Atlantis and looked around and did all the free tour but going to the water park is very pricey to me for the time you get to spend there., Belize was a very awesome trip to the ruins on a van with a tour guide that told us all about Belize (I will remember that tour forever) and Grand Cayman we did string ray city which was a little packed but very nice and would do it again. I would do an excursion in Grand Cayman or a beach day because the shopping is very pricey to me. Hope you have a great time!!

A few questions...

Roatan - Spa Baan Suerte - rustic appearance, extraordinary massages for great prices

Cozumel - Nachi Cocum - lovely quiet beach [only 100 people allowed total]; food and drinks [alcohol or not] unlimited [food is supposedly limited to four courses, but it hasn't happened yet!] for $55 plus taxi

Belize - Altun Ha ruins

Yes, the stewards will get a list of who has removed auto-tips.

Grand Turk is my favorite port. I've gone snorkeling and scuba-diving there. Look at Crystal Seas Adventures. They have several different excursions.

Half Moon Cay is a gorgeous beach. No need to spend extra money there. Just enjoy the water & the beach. In Grand Cayman, look into "Rays, Reefs & Rum Point" excursion. (Slight variation with several different companies.)

Absolutely, and the crew will know. I find auto tipping just easier anyway. You don't have to worry about how much to tip, and people who perform many service for you that you never see, actually get some $$.

If you don't object tipping at the end of the cruise, or you think the cruiseline should just add the cost of the tip to the cruise total, why do you care if there's an auto tip. It's all the same in the end.

Assert your individuality/independence some other way, or take a trip to Japan. No tipping there!

Archived