On Deck for a Cure becomes On Deck for a Cause

luvcruisn'

It looks like the 5 k On Deck for a Cure walk that benefits the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer foundation only has been changed to benefit other cancer organizations.

I saw this today on the Carnival Corp. Stock information page.

SEATTLE, Feb. 4, 2013 /CNW/ - In honor of World Cancer Day, today Holland America Line announces "On Deck for a Cause," a new shipboard giving program that will benefit six international cancer organizations located in the United States, Canada, Australia, Netherlands, Germany and United Kingdom.

On Deck for a Cause invites guests to participate in a noncompetitive 5k fundraising walk on every sailing aboard each of the line's 15 ships, with proceeds to be distributed among the American Cancer Society, Canadian Cancer Society, Cancer Council Australia, Cancer Research UK, Deutsche Krebshilfe (German Cancer Aid) and KWF Kankerbestrijding (Dutch Cancer Society). The program will be implemented on ships in the coming month.

"With this new program Holland America Line will increase our support of the global fight against cancer," said Stein Kruse, president and chief executive officer for Holland America Line. "Giving back is part of the Holland America Line culture, and it's gratifying to be able to support these incredible organizations in six countries where the majority of our guests live. This new program will help raise significant funds for cancer research, education, screening and treatment programs."

Guests of all ages are invited to donate $20 to the Holland America Line Foundation, with a minimum of 80 percent ($16) to be distributed to the organizations. The remaining 20 percent will cover program and administrative expenses. On a day at sea, participants join in a 5k walk around the ship's decks. Guests may walk less or not at all, as they prefer. Participants will also receive an On Deck for a Cause T-shirt, wristband and a reception following the walk. Depending on the ship, the distance to reach 5k ranges from nine to 12 laps.

Nearly 500 On Deck for a Cause events will occur across the Holland America Line fleet in the coming year, with walks taking place on cruises globally including the Mediterranean, Caribbean, South Pacific, Alaska's Inside Passage, Mexico, Asia, the Baltic, Australia, New Zealand and South America.

Makes sense to spread it around to countries where guests coming from. Maybe if a guest knows it can be for a charity in their home country rather than an American charity they may be more willing to take part?

Also I wonder if the political problems the Komen Foundation had last year had any bearing on the decision?

I know what you are saying as to an "American Charity" but surely the world benefits from all breast cancer advancements and research. Progress in the diagnosing, treatment and prevention of breast cancer is not an "American" only project. It isn't as though everything learned isn't shared worldwide.

Sorry.... I had a strong reaction to that statement and felt the need to comment.

I know what you are saying as to an "American Charity" but surely the world benefits from all breast cancer advancements and research. Progress in the diagnosing, treatment and prevention of breast cancer is not an "American" only project. It isn't as though everything learned isn't shared worldwide.

Sorry.... I had a strong reaction to that statement and felt the need to comment.

I agree with you wholeheartedly that the benefits of research advances are shared internationally. On the other hand, the benefits derived from funds devoted to cancer education, screening and treatment programs tend to be very local in scope.

Consequently, I agree with Carnival's new approach, for the the reasons articulated by bishop84.

Mike

That is FABULOUS! I've never been a fan of Komen, with their exorbitant executive salaries (including over $400K a year to Komen's sister), legal actions against other organizations that dared to use "for the cure", and the fact that under 30% of donations actually went to actual research.

Good for HAL for changing to a more global focus and general cancer research. Thank you for posting this info!

I agree with you wholeheartedly that the benefits of research advances are shared internationally. On the other hand, the benefits derived from funds devoted to cancer education, screening and treatment programs tend to be very local in scope.

Consequently, I agree with Carnival's new approach, for the the reasons articulated by bishop84.

Mike

I am MORE than fine with funds going to all cancer research. My comment was that breast cancer research in U.S. benefits the world. I am all for spreading the funding to cancer research in general.....worldwide.

HAL is a very philanthropic company and does a great deal of charitable and community fundraising and assistance in so many areas. There is no shortage of worthy organizations or charities.

Be assured I was not being negative about American charities.

My point was that people are more likely to give or raise funds for a charity they know about rather than one they know nothing about.

Hopefully this will encourage people to particpate if they see that some of the money raised will be going to charities in thier home countries.

The world benefits from Cancer research regardless of where or by whom it is conducted.

Thanks for explaining, Bishop. :)

As I think about it, perhaps it really is time for a change. HAL has designated Komen for years and now it's time to be more inclusive. :) I think they made a good choice.

That is FABULOUS! I've never been a fan of Komen, with their exorbitant executive salaries (including over $400K a year to Komen's sister), legal actions against other organizations that dared to use "for the cure", and the fact that under 30% of donations actually went to actual research.

Good for HAL for changing to a more global focus and general cancer research. Thank you for posting this info!

My opinion also

I like this - I think it will encourage more people to participate - there are lots of good cancer organizations out there - I'm glad HAL is doing this:D

I totally agree. While DH is a prostate cancer survivor; our DSIL was taken by lung cancer while in her early 40's. Cancer is a terrible disease and there is a great need for research for other forms of cancers.

I totally agree with HAL's decision. As a cancer survivor of over 20 years, I felt that I could not participate in their walk on our last cruise this past fall because of my disagreement with Komen's political views and their salaries. I would rather donate to another facilitator. However, I will participate in our upcoming cruise!

Way to go HAL!!

Betty

I like this - I think it will encourage more people to participate - there are lots of good cancer organizations out there - I'm glad HAL is doing this:D

I'll match you step for step on the Prinsendam. Double dare ya. :D

I am so pleased that they have changed to a programme which sees the lion's share of funds raised going to the charity.

I will happily participate.

My son is alive today because of cutting edge technology. He had Acute Myeloid Leukemia and as a result of a stem cell transplant in November, 2011 he is now cancer free.

Archived