On Deck for a Cure becomes On Deck for a Cause

luvcruisn'

I like this - I think it will encourage more people to participate - there are lots of good cancer organizations out there - I'm glad HAL is doing this:D

I am happy to see the change as well. There is more to cancer than breasts and many "orphan" cancers do not get the research funding they need because so much of the focus is on breast cancer. I had never participated before, but I will reconsider on my next cruise.

As an Australian I am very pleased to see this change in policy, the Cancer Council of Australia is an excellent organisation and knowing my donation would go to organisations of this type world wide encourages me to participate. I would not have participated in a walk for, to me, an unknown charity which could and from previous comments does have high administrative (read as high salaries, etc to staff) costs.

as a result of a stem cell transplant in November, 2011 he is now cancer free.

That's wonderful!

I have never participated in the Komen walk and on my cruise last year wrote a polite but strongly-worded note on the registration form saying why I was not walking. I don't flatter myself to think that my note made any difference, but I am so glad to see that the people at HAL have made this change! I will definitely walk on my next cruise, whenever that is.

I see the minimum donation is being increased from $15 to $20. Also the percent of the money that is received and later donated to charity is also increasing from 75% to 80% (which seems good).

Although gross the amount HAL is holding back to pay for program costs is also increasing from $3.75 per walker to $4 (got to pay for the t-shirt, lemonade, and wristband somehow).

This is a very positive move. I support Cancer Council Australia in memory of my father. The support that CCA gives to families is comprehensive and this, as well as research, requires funding. Glad to step it out on my next cruise. Bravo HAL!

I never participated in 'the cure' -- never felt comfortable with the organization -- will consider now.

Me too, i've lost family members to cancer and am a survivor myself but I never liked the Komen organization. Now I'll participate. Thanks HAL.

Deb

We are in favor of the change. My DW has been fighting cancer for 8 years, and is going through chemo right now. Every cruise we have gone on we have done the walk. Even though she is not able to do it anymore (walking) I push her in a wheelchair. It is amazing how many people ask to push her as we go around. She does not have breast cancer, but any research is good, in fact one of the chemos she was on was developed for breast cancer but then found it was good for fighting other cancers also. I wish HAL would do 2 other things, one is to publishize it more, some ships you have to really look for it, and the other is not to have it in the afternoon. When we were on the Eurodam they did it in the morning and had a much better turn out when it is not so hot walking around the deck. JMHO

Guess we will be collecting some new shirts - heaven knows we have enough "On Deck for the Cure" ones!

Every cruise we've been on, they put the sign up sheet in every cabin's mailbox. It is in the daily program also. I suspect some people don't look at the sign up sheet and dispose of it in the recycle bin not knowing what it is they have discarded.

Can't make people read their mail. :D

after all the publicity about Komen and Planned Parenthood and then the salaries, I think a lot of passengers were turned off and didn't participate. And HAL recognized the decline and decided to make thhe change. We stopped after this happened but had done it on every cruise before. Good PR beats bad PR every time.

I am an 11year breast cancer survivor who was discouraged by all the adverse publicity that came after the Komen management debacle. But I know not everyone shares my own political views. This new policy seems to be a very wise way to put the controversy to rest and expand worldwide. Walking again this year!

Mary

Archived