Is there a limit to the amount of luggage I can bring onboard?

The cruise line has a strictly enforced comprehensive policy regarding the amount of checked baggage per passenger:

Baggage Restrictions:

Each passenger is allowed to check only that number of baggage authorized by the husband.

:D

I think it was on our second cruise that the customs agent at debarkation asked why we had so many bags. (We were obviously burdened with far more luggage than necessary...) Of course I responded telling him the truth, telling him we hadn't learned how to pack yet! :D

Six years ago we did Alaska on Princess. My SIL brought six suitcases. :eek: It was her first cruise. She paid $280 in baggage fees. She had one that was just shoes. She let her PH use one. I was just glad we weren't flying together.

I guess this is an area that I guess is self policing! We had 5 bags for two of us for a 7 day cruise on our first cruise. Air travel, which we have flown to 6 cruises is so unpleasant we have looked for reasons to cut back. I won't criticize people who have all the paraphernalia for babies though.

Going on Explore this month! Yay! Is there a limit to the amount of things you can bring on? Like luggage.

Doesn't really get specific:

Each guest is permitted to carry a reasonable amount of personal property (including luggage) aboard the vessel; however, for your comfort and convenience, it is recommended that you limit the number of pieces you take. Keep in mind that airlines may charge for excess or oversize luggage. Charges incurred for excess or oversize baggage are the sole responsibility of the passenger. Each airline has a different limit on the amount of luggage they allow. Check with your air carrier for specific restrictions, such as allowance of pounds and any additional charges

Doesn't really get specific:

Each guest is permitted to carry a reasonable amount of personal property (including luggage) aboard the vessel; however, for your comfort and convenience, it is recommended that you limit the number of pieces you take. Keep in mind that airlines may charge for excess or oversize luggage. Charges incurred for excess or oversize baggage are the sole responsibility of the passenger. Each airline has a different limit on the amount of luggage they allow. Check with your air carrier for specific restrictions, such as allowance of pounds and any additional charges

but the OP is not flying.

We have met quite a few couples that do TA s and come back to Europe for the summer and literally move house, one couple on the AOS had a separate cabin for all their trunks.

We took our first cruise a little over a year ago. We drove to Bayonne, which was awesome since I packed a lot.

So we went a day early and stayed in a hotel. In the elevator on the way to our room, with all of our luggage filling the cart, a couple squeezes into the elevator and says, "Wow, that is a lot of luggage!"

My husband said, "I know! It's our first cruise. But we did read that we should pack and then put half of it away. Aren't you glad we did?" LOL Their faces were priceless.

I'm going to downsize this November, but I'm pretty sure we'll still be taking several pieces of luggage. I'm thankful we drive.

My first cruise I was able to drive to the port and I took 6 pieces of luggage (yes, one was for shoes :p). One bag was for all those "suggested" things that so many CCers recommend. Over the years I've tossed most of those things away and am down to two bags (since I have to fly now). Ditching the formal clothes and eating in the Windjammer should also help in the future.

Have a lovely cruise!

Theresa

There used to be an official limit of 200 lbs/passenger, but this seems to have gone away, and the cruise contract now just says that you can only bring what you reasonably need for the cruise vacation. So, technically, there is no limit, but they could challenge you, if you were obviously taking more than just clothes/supplies for your cruise. I've never heard of that happening, though.

The luggage restriction does happen, especiually on transatlantics as I heard that one from Lisbon to Brasil people were using it to basically relocate, they took fridges, cookers etc!!!! :rolleyes:

I thought about making a joke about dressers or the kitchen sink but it sounds like it has all been done before, but for real.

okay, so there's technically a 200lb limit but if the average cruiser is about 200lbs and I only weigh in at 125lbs does that mean I can have 275lbs of "stuff"? :p
Yes, but you have to wear the extra 75 pounds.

Archived