Seabourn Sojourn Food and Service

HappyFeet13

Great info on the "ignore" setting. Thanks. I just don't get the idea that a diner going to a great restaurant should have to say, "How many shrimp are in your shrimp cocktail that you are charging me $22 for?". "2? OK, I'll have 2 1/2 orders". Or, "I'm thinking about ordering the ravioli for my main course for $40.00 ...how many and what size are they?". "Two ravioli of one square inch each?" "OK, I'll have two orders". In the restaurant industry there are "appetizer portions" and "main course portions" that are generally standardized. I have been around for a long time and have dined at restaurants in many different countries, and so have you, I'm sure. When discussing the merits of a particular restaurant, I don't recall ever mentioning portion sizes as an issue. But, I have never before noticed such consistently, ridiculously, small portion sizes as I saw on this trip on the Sojourn. In many cases I didn't care because the food wasn't very good, anyway. (Sojourn's room service hamburgers are terrific!) As some other posters have written, in the US we have been in an economic slump for quite a while. TV is replete with ads for "one shared appetizer, two entries, and a shared dessert for only $25!"...that kind of thing. Many restaurants are reducing portions (and prices) to get by. Methinks that the world has changed and cost-cutting for survival has changed the way cruise ships operate. Like the QEII, the Concorde, and the Seabourn Pride of a decade ago, I guess I'm mourning the loss of "how it used to be" and probably never will be again.

Agree. As I said earlier in this thread, it's economics 101. It is simply not possible for a business to operate on the same or less revenue without reducing costs. We have seen the result across the cruise industry, not just on Seabourn. Unfortunately for the luxury lines, it is more difficult to add to the revenue line by increasing the price of or adding new "for fee" onboard items as the operating model is "all inclusive." So they must look for ways to save money and cut costs. When the economy recovers, I expect we will see price increases and less discounting instead of cutting so that the luxury cruise lines can be more profitable. But until then, I suspect we will continue to see some effects of cost cutting.

Agree. As I said earlier in this thread, it's economics 101. It is simply not possible for a business to operate on the same or less revenue without reducing costs. We have seen the result across the cruise industry, not just on Seabourn. Unfortunately for the luxury lines, it is more difficult to add to the revenue line by increasing the price of or adding new "for fee" onboard items as the operating model is "all inclusive." So they must look for ways to save money and cut costs. When the economy recovers, I expect we will see price increases and less discounting instead of cutting so that the luxury cruise lines can be more profitable. But until then, I suspect we will continue to see some effects of cost cutting.

Or it could go the way of Regent. Massive price increases while cutting services/crew/quality on the ships.

Based on my experience, I think the cost cutting measures are more pronounced or at least more obvious on Seabourn than on Crystal. For example

The rationing of numerous food items (like fresh berries) on the buffet. These are some fairly standard items that are missing from the buffet. Then you see another passenger walking around with some on their plate and ask them where they are found only to be told that you have to ask the staff to get some for you. Maintaining secret stores of food items for the guests in the know is bizarre.

You decide to have a little get together in your suite with some of the wonderful passengers you have met. You ask for some canapes and a bottle of champagne. You are told you can only get champagne by the glass. They are happy to waste your time and theirs, needlessly running back and forth with additional glasses, but no bottle.

The current complimentary wine list's average retail price is ~$10 a bottle. The wines they carry the most stock of retail for less than $3 a bottle. Carnival gets all these wines for much less at wholesale.

In the Penthouse suites they keep back-up supplies of the toiletries behind a locked glass door in the bathroom. Are they really losing so much money because my wife uses too much moisturizer? Can't they just give us new ones everyday like normal luxury properties? And why do they have to taunt us with their presence behind a locked glass door? Don't they trust us?

They heavily hype many Seabourn experiences like caviar in the surf, the beach party, marina day, massage moments on deck and then heavily limit their availability. They have already announced that most of these will no longer occur on the Odyssey class going forward.

Jim has adequately described the minuscule portions. The ability to order multiples does not hide this glaring cost cutting measure.

Seabourn is losing money and would be in big trouble without the deep pockets of Carnival. Lowering fares to increase ridership has not made them profitable. Seabourn has become the bargain "luxury" line. Look at any month at least three months away and compare prices among SS Crystal and Seabourn. Take July 2013 in the Med for example and calculate the monthly average of the per day per person rate for each line. For an oceanview room Crystal has 3 cruises averaging 450.66 per day, SS has 7 cruises averaging 514.87 per day and Seabourn has nearly 30 cruises averaging 376.49 per day. Every other month in every other region that has at least 3 cruises per line shows this same pattern. You can not consistently charge less than your competitors while maintaining the same level of quality as the competitors and be profitable. Furthermore, look at Oceania, a line many of you would consider as only a premium line. If you add in a drinks package and the standard tip, Oceania's per person daily rate is often higher than Seabourns for similar sized cabins. You can not charge less than a premium line and provide a true luxury experience.

Happyfeet13,

To me the key words in your above post are "at this point in time." So yes, on your particular cruise you had problems and you didn't feel it was important enough to talk to ship management about. Reviews of food on subsequent Sojourn cruise have been far more positive. In fact, I have four friends who are on Sojourn now and are extremely happy. Obviously, you had a very bad experience with the food "at that point in time." I hope Seabourn will pay attention to your complaints so it continues to improve during other points in time. And those who feel there should never be any kind of problem on a luxury line of any kind i suggest they travel somewhere over the rainbow to a galaxy far far away where Utopia exists.

Sananda, thank you for the excellent post. You make excellent points, and from a soon first-timer that has sailed a number of times on Silversea and Regent, I do have some concerns with the low prices for the St. Thomas circles on Legend. Prices have come down since we booked, and now deals are flying out for reduced upgrades, etc. It is worrisome. One time, we did a cruise in Asia on Silversea that had been a cruise chopped into A/B, and we found it not to be up to snuff with what we were used to on Silversea. I do hope that with some of the changing dynamic on Seabourn and the troubles Carnival has had in general (though they have deep pockets) will not affect us.

I LOVE small portions and often order appetizers, soup, salad only and no entree and maybe get two appetizers and just tell them bring something out in any order when other people have something. I don't think I will care about small portions. I have been worried about things like limited berries and such. I love fresh berries and often have only that for breakfast. I love the cured meats like cappacola on Silversea (I know, it's an Italian line). We are giving up butler service and trying a new line, so I hope it will still be great. I have a feeling it will. Since we are first timers, we don't have the joy of old to look back on except for reading CC for all these years. I do plan to post live a fair and balanced review and hope not to be pounced upon.

My requirements are some fresh and tasty things that aren't hunks of meat or full of mushrooms (allergic), nice chardonnay (don't care if it is cheap, just not tasting like swill), hot tubs that are not cold and staff that is great to somewhat over the top. We also need the internet to work. Husband wants ice, room sort of magically done when we are gone, nice steaks, we like a few activities, don't need something going on all the time, and we love to be around interesting guests that just enjoy being on the ship and treat all as equals. Those are great things to us. A few more things are a plus to us like seeing the world and all of that, but not this cruise. We are going with his parents. We have been to all ports, we just want to celebrate our 20th anniversary as a family and have a relaxing great time.

We are big chardonnay drinkers and are not used to having to order wine by the glass ever on the other lines. That will be a big issue for us because I would have a similar complaint like the two shrimp. None of us like caviar, we prefer a different meal to a bbq, and so on. I hope they have the massage moments still on legend and still the marina day.

We do like to have movies on, too. We love Silver Spirit where you can start and stop a whole big library of movies. We know we won't have that on Legend, but that is OK. Sounds like they don't have daily puzzles and quizzes, either, which we love.

Mother-in-law reads, father-in-law likes lectures and art. Three of four of us love blackjack.

Based on my experience, I think the cost cutting measures are more pronounced or at least more obvious on Seabourn than on Crystal. For example

The rationing of numerous food items (like fresh berries) on the buffet. These are some fairly standard items that are missing from the buffet. Then you see another passenger walking around with some on their plate and ask them where they are found only to be told that you have to ask the staff to get some for you. Maintaining secret stores of food items for the guests in the know is bizarre.

You decide to have a little get together in your suite with some of the wonderful passengers you have met. You ask for some canapes and a bottle of champagne. You are told you can only get champagne by the glass. They are happy to waste your time and theirs, needlessly running back and forth with additional glasses, but no bottle.

The current complimentary wine list's average retail price is ~$10 a bottle. The wines they carry the most stock of retail for less than $3 a bottle. Carnival gets all these wines for much less at wholesale.

In the Penthouse suites they keep back-up supplies of the toiletries behind a locked glass door in the bathroom. Are they really losing so much money because my wife uses too much moisturizer? Can't they just give us new ones everyday like normal luxury properties? And why do they have to taunt us with their presence behind a locked glass door? Don't they trust us?

They heavily hype many Seabourn experiences like caviar in the surf, the beach party, marina day, massage moments on deck and then heavily limit their availability. They have already announced that most of these will no longer occur on the Odyssey class going forward.

Jim has adequately described the minuscule portions. The ability to order multiples does not hide this glaring cost cutting measure.

Seabourn is losing money and would be in big trouble without the deep pockets of Carnival. Lowering fares to increase ridership has not made them profitable. Seabourn has become the bargain "luxury" line. Look at any month at least three months away and compare prices among SS Crystal and Seabourn. Take July 2013 in the Med for example and calculate the monthly average of the per day per person rate for each line. For an oceanview room Crystal has 3 cruises averaging 450.66 per day, SS has 7 cruises averaging 514.87 per day and Seabourn has nearly 30 cruises averaging 376.49 per day. Every other month in every other region that has at least 3 cruises per line shows this same pattern. You can not consistently charge less than your competitors while maintaining the same level of quality as the competitors and be profitable. Furthermore, look at Oceania, a line many of you would consider as only a premium line. If you add in a drinks package and the standard tip, Oceania's per person daily rate is often higher than Seabourns for similar sized cabins. You can not charge less than a premium line and provide a true luxury experience.

All well said, Sananda. Carnival is succeeding in ruining this brand. As I have said before I think the only chance of rescuing it is to remove the management from the hands of Holland America. The present troubles have only surfaced in the past two years.

I think we may be on to something that started as a thread about food and service on the Sojourn and morphed into a good discussion of the slippage of the brand. But I can only speak about Sojourn in Feb. 2013, not on other ships at other times. But here are some things that never happened to us on previous Seabourn cruises: About three weeks before we left for our Feb. 2 cruise we got an email offering a "special discount" on upgrade to a Penthouse Suite for $3,999 per person. I called to inquire where the suites were located and they had a wide choice, not just one or two, and all were on decks 9 and 10. About a week later, we got another "special offer" for an upgrade to a Penthouse Suite for only $2,999 pp. Then, about a week before we left, we got an offer to upgrade for $1,999 pp. We had reserved Suite 646 (not one of the higher priced categories) because it is the lowest level on the ship that has a full balcony that is in the center of the ship. We knew that if we had rough seas rounding the Horn (or on any of our 6 other "sea days"), we would prefer stability to luxury, so we stayed with 646, but it was tempting to get a penthouse suite for such a HUGE discount. In retrospect we're glad we stayed with 646. That "special offer" should have told us that Seabourn was having a problem filling the ship and was probably discounting other cabin categories, as well. In our past experience with Seabourn you had to get a reservation about a year in advance if you wanted one of the few special suites on one of the little sisters. On many cruises, you had to book a year in advance if you wanted to get any cabin at all! We have tried all of the suite categories on the little sisters and prefer the regular suites. We never found the others to be worth the 2X to 4X the cost of regular suites. Tipoff #2 was when we met a couple that told us they had gotten such a good deal on this cruise that "they couldn't afford NOT to take it". I'm not being condescending when I say that they were lower middle-class in income. GREAT people, but not the income bracket that we were accustomed to seeing aboard Seabourn. We know this because they told us what they did for a living. Tipoff #3 was that MOST of the other shipmates on this cruise were much younger than we encountered on 4 previous Seabourn cruises, and most of them still WORK for a living, where on previous cruises most Seabourn shipmates were retired. We also learned that those who had "special deals" on their cruise package were as demanding, and in many cases much MORE demanding of special food and service, than schlumps like me who booked a year in advance and paid full freight. And therein may lie the Seabourn problem. Their restaurant will, free of charge, provide special meals and services for anyone that requests it. We met people who routinely arranged for highly specialized breakfasts, lunches, and dinners for 10, with spectacular menus. How about a 7-course "French dinner" with a special floral arrangement on the table, double portions of caviar for all, escargot, fois gras, roast duck, salad, two desserts? For free! While some sap at another table was wondering why service was so slow or his portions were so small! The same people requested and received a special "Indian dinner" for 10 with specially prepared items not on the menu at any other time during the cruise. And we've seen other posters on this very board who have said that they "always order a double order of escargots at every meal", even though it is virtually never on the menu. Or, how about the other couple I met who had a "standing order" for double-sized portions of caviar sent to their suite by room service every day at 5 pm? How can Seabourn offer these spectacular and highly individualized special dinners, even for people who may have received a huge discount to be on this cruise? How can they do that while providing great food and service to the other passengers who aren't so incredibly and unreasonably demanding? They can't. Like some other posters on this board, I have learned that if you are a "squeaking wheel" you will get top notch food and service at the expense of the other passengers. Those on this board have a huge advantage. You now know how to get GREAT and spectacular food and service. That's not the way it should be, but that is the way it is.

I LOVE small portions and often order appetizers, soup, salad only and no entree and maybe get two appetizers and just tell them bring something out in any order when other people have something. I don't think I will care about small portions. I have been worried about things like limited berries and such. I love fresh berries and often have only that for breakfast. I love the cured meats like cappacola on Silversea (I know, it's an Italian line). We are giving up butler service and trying a new line, so I hope it will still be great...

My requirements are some fresh and tasty things that aren't hunks of meat or full of mushrooms (allergic), nice chardonnay (don't care if it is cheap, just not tasting like swill), hot tubs that are not cold and staff that is great to somewhat over the top. We also need the internet to work. Husband wants ice, room sort of magically done when we are gone, nice steaks, we like a few activities, don't need something going on all the time, and we love to be around interesting guests that just enjoy being on the ship and treat all as equals. Those are great things to us...

We are big chardonnay drinkers and are not used to having to order wine by the glass ever on the other lines. That will be a big issue for us because I would have a similar complaint like the two shrimp. None of us like caviar, we prefer a different meal to a bbq, and so on. I hope they have the massage moments still on legend and still the marina day.

We do like to have movies on, too. We love Silver Spirit where you can start and stop a whole big library of movies. We know we won't have that on Legend, but that is OK. Sounds like they don't have daily puzzles and quizzes, either, which we love.

Oh my...you WILL enjoy the SB little sister vessels.

We've been on deeply discounted legs and some not discounted. There was no difference in service.

I suspect St. Thomas legs are lower priced due to the majority of passengers being from the U.S. finding flights to St. Thomas much more expensive than Ft. Lauderdale which mitigates price point. I suspect port charges for Ft. Lauderdale cost far more than St. Thomas. The legs on those 7 day island hopping cruises are barely a few miles apart so the ship burns far less fuel each night versus leaving from FL. On really calm nights in the islands, we've been told by the Captain that we just drifted for hours to save fuel.

Portions on Seabourn are you choice. Portions tend to be small to enough considering the average cruiser isn't a growing teen...if you want more or less of anything, tell your waiter and a double or triple serving or smaller serving will be made so with a smile. Many people order an extra entree for the table when the menu is so tempting.

Fresh berries? My wife adores fresh berries. If they don't put em out every day, ask for em and you'll get as big a bowl as you like at any meal or desert. Once they know you like berries, a bowl will always be nearby you.

Italian, Danish or other cured meats...they're abundant in the ship's pantry...even some Norwegian varieties that IMO aren't fit to touch.

Herring, kippers and cured fish. Ask for em and ye shall receive.

Some of the best Italian Parm (Reggiano) I've ever had was on Seabourn.

Some SB cruisers whine about the house wines. We find em quaffable nuf. Tell your waiter and bartender first day that you prefer Chard and you may be offered Chard more than you may wish thereafter at every bar and meal.

For a few hundred bucks (cheap considering the daily cost of SB) you can purchase a vintage wine package upgrade if ya can't find a wine to your liking. Some truly great wines are available in that package...oenophiles will not be disappointed.

The smaller ships have very hot, hot tubs. Most cruisers don't use the forward tub on deck 5 and it's very private. They drain and scrub the tubs often and keep them spotlessly clean.

Regarding the 'Butler' thing on Regent, we just don't get it. If you want canapés at any time 24/7, pick up the house phone, tell your housekeeper or anyone in the dining rooms and they'll be delivered to order...not by a guy in a long coat, but with a smile and on time none the less.

Everything else the Butler guy allegedly does is gladly performed for you on SB if you ask. Tell your housekeeper what time to make up your room if you've a preference and she'll do it...and we've NEVER had a crew member on SB who didn't speak at least fluent English amongst other languages, while we have had communication problems with our housekeeper and other crew on the other line(s).

Movies are shown on sea days and sometimes after 10 p.m. in the theater (with fresh popcorn)...you have a huge selection of first run and older fractured flickers on demand from your suite TV at no charge. As of last year, there was still a hard copy book and DVD library though technology will soon see those gone.

A fine NY Steak is on the menu every night and there will be at least one 'Steak House' menu on the Veranda. The steaks are first class.

Service is in our opinion, what separates SB from all the rest...even Regent which we thought was pretty good.

Puzzles? If you like trivia, it's nearly a blood sport on SB not to be missed. There are the usual x-word, soduku and other quizzes available at the Cruise desk.

SB's fans and regular passengers have made for more interesting friendships, memories and entertainment than any other cruise line seems to attract.

Enjoy...

___‹~›__‹(•¿•)›__‹~›___

Love your term. We, too, feel that we pay more than anyone else onboard and often book one year in advance. As a result do not feel badly that you are a "schlump" as you are in good company. We have never regretted our choices and believe that many of the "el cheapo" legends are exaggerations. Perhaps we are a bit naive, but we adore Seabourn and feel that we have more than gotten our money's worth time and time again. My advice, unsolicited, is that you continue enjoying Seabourn. Happy cruising from two fellow "schlumps".

Regarding the 'Butler' thing on Regent, we just don't get it. If you want canapés at any time 24/7, pick up the house phone, tell your housekeeper or anyone in the dining rooms and they'll be delivered to order...not by a guy in a long coat, but with a smile and on time none the less.

Enjoy...

___‹~›__‹(•¿•)›__‹~›___

We needed something to accompany that nice bottle of Pinot Grigio we bought on the Mornington Peninsula:

55998758775398125216112.jpg

Kilroyshere, thanks for such a detailed reply.

I was referring to the English Guild of Butlers trained butlers on Silversea. I do feel there is a difference. Robert Watson, the owner, is a friend of mine.

Anyway, it does seem like things will be largely as we like, so we will see.

I wouldn't mind seeing some seared fois gras come my way.

We needed something to accompany that nice bottle of Pinot Grigio we bought on the Mornington Peninsula:

That is a really nice spread!

And a reminder to those who have not yet sailed on Seabourn, the caviar is complimentary and has improved in quality since the switch to black river. It is not paddlefish roe.

An excellent analysis that provides valuable insight. Thanks.

All well said, Sananda. Carnival is succeeding in ruining this brand. As I have said before I think the only chance of rescuing it is to remove the management from the hands of Holland America. The present troubles have only surfaced in the past two years.

So much of the cutbacks reported here are exactly what Holland management has been doing at HAL. They seem to think these little "cutbacks" won't be noticed. Penny-wise and pound-foolish.

... I'm not being condescending when I say that they were lower middle-class in income. GREAT people, but not the income bracket that we were accustomed to seeing aboard Seabourn. We know this because they told us what they did for a living.... .

And Americans accuse the Brits of being class-conscious and snobbish...!

Equating income with class, compatibility or standards is always a controversial and treacherous path because there are exceptional people at every socio-economic level. Having said that, I would not want to pay for a Seabourn cruise to end up sailing with a crowd of Carnival cruisers -- I've sailed Carnival and didn't find that I had much in common with most of the passengers. That's one of the reasons why I sometimes pay a premium to sail on ultra-luxury ships -- I want a different experience.

Food onboard this ship sucks. All protein (bacon, chicken, lobster, tuna, steaks, lamb) is delivered to the ship frozen. Seattle’s orders… They try to make something good from all that frozen foods, even cooking eggs in old duck fat. But it turns out bad.

Had two sit down meeting with FB manager and chef in our room to go over our displeasure in food quality? They said their hands are tied and must except all food from their home office with pre-written menu items.

They did agree to go on shore and purchase a full fresh strip loin and design a menu for us on our voyage. We sat down with the chef staff and produce a menu for the next three days for diners to be delivered to our room. Turns out meat was of a low quality (something lower than Select in quality) and we ended up with settling for stews.

Like all the higher staff personal told us “most normal people don’t know were serving them all frozen food”

Sorry to say for us, we will not be back till they go back to procuring fresh food at each port.

I too was a bit taken aback by that comment. I prefer to take people as I find them rather than judge on the basis of income of what they do for a living.

This thread is getting to be a bit whiny. I mean, when you complain that Seabourn keeps extra supplies behind a locked glass door ........

(I was aware of this but, as we were never short of toiletries, I really didn't see the problem .... seriously, who cares :eek: ).

Food onboard this ship sucks. All protein (bacon, chicken, lobster, tuna, steaks, lamb) is delivered to the ship frozen. Seattle’s orders… They try to make something good from all that frozen foods, even cooking eggs in old duck fat. But it turns out bad.

Had two sit down meeting with FB manager and chef in our room to go over our displeasure in food quality? They said their hands are tied and must except all food from their home office with pre-written menu items.

They did agree to go on shore and purchase a full fresh strip loin and design a menu for us on our voyage. We sat down with the chef staff and produce a menu for the next three days for diners to be delivered to our room. Turns out meat was of a low quality (something lower than Select in quality) and we ended up with settling for stews.

Like all the higher staff personal told us “most normal people don’t know were serving them all frozen food”

Sorry to say for us, we will not be back till they go back to procuring fresh food at each port.

If you think about this for a few moments, it is completely impractical for Seabourn to procure fresh food at each port. In many cases, ports simply do not have the vendors to supply a ship of the size of the Odyssey class and how do you propose that they handle 4 days at sea between New Zealand and Australia or the long trans-Atlantic sea leg?

As it is I have seen chef shopping in local markets but shopping for a special dish is one thing, shopping for a whole menu for 450 guests is quite another.

I held off commenting as I thought this thread would eventually die a natural death. As that has not happened, and the thread has returned to its original subject, I will post about my experience on the Sojourn in October 2012. Our previous Seabourn cruise had been an absolutely superb med cruise on the Quest, so we had high expectations.

Every cruise is an entity unto itself and depends on how various “forces” come together for its duration. On this particular cruise the passenger demographics skewed to more casual, older Americans, many with mobility issues, from warmer US climates (mostly FL, TX and CA). The weather was for the most part cool and dreary.

Consequently, the indoor area of the Colonnade was an absolute zoo every day. Main Dining Room hours for breakfast were very limited, so after 8:30 am the Colonnade was crushed (people standing around waiting for tables/seats to open up, places to be cleared, etc.) Now the interesting part: the undercover, outdoor tables were set for breakfast daily, but if one chose to sit outdoors (a completely acceptable alternative to this northerner) one was completely ignored. I enjoy a small morning meal of bread, cheese and fruit, so I was not looking to order off the menu. I do, however, expect that if coffee cups and flatware are placed on the tables that someone will actually come to offer me coffee. It did not happen – we had to go indoors and seek out a server on more than one morning.

I do not generally eat lunch on board if the ship is in port, so I have no comment on what happened at that meal, though the Galley Market lunch at sea was well done.

The dinner menus in the Main Dining Room were an odd combination of totally boring/uninspired and overly fussy. The Colonnade had a series of interesting “Market” nights. The most varied menus (printed daily in the Herald) were at the Patio Grill. However, during the ten-day cruise it was only open one or two times – and you did not find out if it was actually opening or not until 7 pm or so.

Service in both the MD and Colonnade was cheerful, but spotty, disorganized and noisy (read heated discussions between servers and broken dishes not caused by roiling seas). Room Service was reliable for the two nights we could not deal with the offerings in the MD and chose not to plow into the hectic environment of the Colonnade.

Don’t even get me started on the bar service. As mentioned, due to weather and (I guess) low demand among the passengers, the Patio and Sky Bars were often randomly and unexpectedly closed. One day we came back from shore around 2 pm and not a single bar was open. After ordering a couple of beers from Room Service, we learned that the Observation Bar had opened at 2:30 that day. As a passenger/”guest” I should not have to go from Patio to Sky to Club to Observation lounge (or call Seabourn Square) to get a beer! At the very least, there should have been notices placed at the closed bars of what was available where and when.

I realize that most of the passengers on this particular cruise were not interested in eating meals (or for that matter having a beer) outdoors in 50 degree weather, but younger, thicker-blooded seaman such as myself were totally abandoned to the will of the majority. I respect the right of Seabourn to deploy its assets as it sees most prudent, but the individualized treatment they advertise was not apparent on this voyage.

Will we sail on Seabourn again, most likely. But our next trip is a land vacation in South Africa….maybe a cruise in 2014 or 2015?

FYI - I don’t go out of my way to meet people when on vacation, but on this cruise we were seated at dinner in the Colonnade one evening with several others. Moments after arriving, one of the guests (one of the few non-retirees) asked, “what do you do to pay the mortgage?” Since I don’t have one I replied “nothing.” This pretty much shut down the conversation, but it was a bit bothersome…..

Quote deleted for the sake of brevity ....

There seem to be enough negative comments about Sojourn to suggest there is a problem. We have not been on Sojourn for a couple of years but our last three cruises have been on Odyssey. We disembarked about 5 weeks ago. I can assure you that we had none of these problems on Odyssey .... in fact, nobody even asked about our mortgage (think of the tax advantages :D ).

The stock response on this board is to blame Seattle or HAL. However, as we are not getting the same complaints about Quest, Odyssey or the triplets, that suggests that there is a management problem which is specific to Sojourn. Clearly, that needs to get sorted out.

About a year ago, Odyssey also had some problems (that was the first of our three in a row). By the time we were on our second Odyssey cruise, all those problems had been fixed and the service and food were outstanding. I would be willing to wager that the same will happen for Sojourn.

Archived