Seabourn Sojourn Food and Service

HappyFeet13

I'm not on Seabourn and I wouldn't care to mention my income on board in front of someone. Needless to say, I actually regret mentioning my income on here (even though I'm anonymous).

If only this board worked like pretty much every other board out there where you could edit your posts hours, days, even years later. Also PM functionality would be nice.

As for the anon bit (this applies to everyone who uses their own image as an avatar), beware Google, they have an obnoxious feature where you can drag images into the search bar and itll return the closest matches (not overly accurate at this point in time, but as with everything Google, given enough time/data it'll be scary). So if that's you in your photo, information may be a GIS away.

OMG $$ determine your class?

We have a term in Aus.. CUBbies.. it means people with lots of $ but no class

There are people with lots of class who no longer have $$

So where will I fit on the Seabourn Pecking order?

My income is well.... comfortable enough to take my 2 adult children on a SB cruise, fly business class and abut it with stays in Copenhagen at Nimb and 5 days at Moscow Hyatt, plus pay for college and purchase a nice European car every 2 years

My occupation is schoolteacher... because I love the vocation. So which is more important? My income or my profession.

Yes, Michele, your only mistake was mentioning your income. I am sure you regret it, even if done with the best of motives.

You will be glad to hear that money is hardly every mentioned on Seabourn cruises, and those in the top suites and with the largest incomes do not bring it to everyone's attention generally. In over 150 days on Seabourn, only once has someone told us at dinner some facts deliberately designed to make us realise he was loaded (and we had already decided we did not like him!) One of the nicest things about the line is that there are no butlers, special concierge lounges etc.

Thanks for the kudos Michelecda - always appreciated.

Mrs Waldo - I'm a Principal Lecturer at a UK University, but I would be heading for rapid bankruptcy if I were to maintain a lifestyle like yours !

Perhaps I should have emigrated to Oz.......

Surely you are no ordinary schoolteacher - School Head perhaps?

If only this board worked like pretty much every other board out there where you could edit your posts hours, days, even years later. Also PM functionality would be nice.

As for the anon bit (this applies to everyone who uses their own image as an avatar), beware Google, they have an obnoxious feature where you can drag images into the search bar and itll return the closest matches (not overly accurate at this point in time, but as with everything Google, given enough time/data it'll be scary). So if that's you in your photo, information may be a GIS away.

Good to know, thanks. I think I'll now delete my picture (yes, it's me).

Reading through this thread (and a few others) has left me feeling slightly discouraged about my first Seabourn cruise this August. I hope these threads are not a true indication or reflection of the majority of fellow passengers that I will share my time with. Too many petty, sarcastic, pompous and condescending remarks for my taste. There seems to be some sort of class war on here and it's frightful. People who possess genuine class don't need to constantly point out that theirs is higher. Money does not equal class; sometimes it only provides the illusion.

I am middle class in my country (earning about $230k/yr) and possess more class than some others earning much more. I didn't choose Seabourn because they have "discounted the prices and lowered the standards" to enable people like me (my class) to be able to also cruise with them. I chose Seabourn based on my reviews from various sources and my desire to vacation with a certain level of well-deserved luxury and service and like-minded people who are interesting (not boorish). And yes, although I am not a big eater, I too expect portion size to be equivalent to what I find in any good restaurant (and 3 scallops as my entree, as HappyFeet pointed out, is not keeping with this). Nor would I ever want to order a double portion or ever reorder a second portion. Nor do I want to have to seek out senior staff and complain in order to receive better service. Like HF, I expect a certain level of service to be present, period. If it's not, I will advise others and then decide whether I would choose to cruise with Seabourn again.

Furthermore, as HF also attempted to point out, YOUR experience has nothing to do with HIS. Even on the exact same cruise, you weren't at his table, you weren't with him. If he states that the service left much to be desired, I believe him even IF it's not the norm. Past experience is just that...past.

Last, and this stems from other threads, not just this one - for those on here who believe that their class level is so high, may I suggest you gather your boorish friends together and charter a personal yacht. You then won't need to put up with the lower class passengers that so horrify you.

I'm only on a week cruise but I'm tempted to cancel it for fear of being stuck with so much unnecessary snobbery. Please, someone, tell me this isn't the case and that the majority of passengers have genuine class and manners, whether rich or poor.

I'm sorry you are struggling to afford a Seabourn cruise on your measly annual income of $230 K, which puts you among the top one percent of income earners in Canada (according to Statistics Canada). I'm sure you are also struggling to put fuel in the BMW, fois gras in the sub zero fridge, and champagne in the wine cellar. However, don't despair -- if things get too tough you can always sell the villa in Spain and make an appeal to the Seabourn Benevolent Sailors Fund for an on board credit. :D

After many sailings on Seabourn I can state I've only encourtered a couple of "snobs!" The fun, friendly and down-to-earth Sailors I fortunately sail with stay far away from these passengers.......too negative and toxic!:eek:

Money has nothing to do with ones class or character ~

I enjoy meeting Sailor's who are kind and considerate of everyone aboard the ship ~ same here at home in West Texas. I have made lifelong friendships aboard Seabourn and I consider them "jewels!" I talk to several of these sweet, kind friends weekly ~wouldn't take a million for these treasured friendships.

New Guests sailing Seabourn need not worry as to unpleasant, snobby type folks ~~they are far & few between!

Martita B

Considering that my original post spoke of the condescending remarks that appear to be made all too often on the Seabourn board, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that I am subjected to the same (because I erred in my judgement and disclosed my income). Is there any wonder why there are few daily posts?

Never once did I say I am struggling financially. However, I do wish that my income afforded me a villa in Spain but alas, it does not. Since you have zero insight into my life and most notably my expenses, it would behoove you to keep your opinion to yourself.

I've had the pleasure to have dialogue with some happy members on here who have alleviated my original concerns. Once again, thank you to these members for simply responding to my concerns.

I will now happily await my departure date :).

I have never encountered snobbery on Seabourn and have never had income, wealth or the lack thereof enter into any discussions. Sometimes us retirees might talk about pensions and other retirement arrangements but it is always very non-specific.

On our only Regent cruise there was, however, a person who worked for a large investment bank and who was clearly touting for business and latching on to people he thought were high net worth. :eek: Fortunately he got off after 7 days.

After many sailings on Seabourn I can state I've only encourtered a couple of "snobs!" The fun, friendly and down-to-earth Sailors I fortunately sail with stay far away from these passengers.......too negative and toxic!:eek:

Money has nothing to do with ones class or character ~

I enjoy meeting Sailor's who are kind and considerate of everyone aboard the ship ~ same here at home in West Texas. I have made lifelong friendships aboard Seabourn and I consider them "jewels!" I talk to several of these sweet, kind friends weekly ~wouldn't take a million for these treasured friendships.

New Guests sailing Seabourn need not worry as to unpleasant, snobby type folks ~~they are far & few between!

Martita B

Thanks Martita - your post also makes me feel confident that I made the correct choice in choosing SB. I love meeting people when I travel and have also found some wonderful, lifelong friends along the way scattered in different parts of the world.

Although my cruise is a long way off yet, and only a week, I'm looking forward to it :).

Considering that my original post spoke of the condescending remarks that appear to be made all too often on the Seabourn board, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that I am subjected to the same (because I erred in my judgement and disclosed my income). Is there any wonder why there are few daily posts?

Never once did I say I am struggling financially. However, I do wish that my income afforded me a villa in Spain but alas, it does not. Since you have zero insight into my life and most notably my expenses, it would behoove you to keep your opinion to yourself.

I've had the pleasure to have dialogue with some happy members on here who have alleviated my original concerns. Once again, thank you to these members for simply responding to my concerns.

I will now happily await my departure date :).

I'm sorry you don't have the villa in Spain. By as the attached magazine article quoting Statistics Canada shows, you are clearly in the one-percent club of income earners in Canada by more than $25,000 a year -- hardly middle class as you stated earlier in trying to make people feel sorry for you.

http://www2.macleans.ca/2013/01/28/top-one-per-cent-make-10-per-cent-of-national-income-but-less-than-they-did-four-years-ago/

I have never encountered snobbery on Seabourn and have never had income, wealth or the lack thereof enter into any discussions. Sometimes us retirees might talk about pensions and other retirement arrangements but it is always very non-specific.

On our only Regent cruise there was, however, a person who worked for a large investment bank and who was clearly touting for business and latching on to people he thought were high net worth. :eek: Fortunately he got off after 7 days.

Yes, unfortunately, wherever one may go there will all too often be the opportunity seeker present who is overly inclined to try to take advantage of the situation (always "on", always the salesperson, never really able to take a vacation and incredibly annoying!). I'm sure you were very happy to see him depart after a week :).

I'm sorry you don't have the villa in Spain. By as the attached magazine article quoting Statistics Canada shows, you are clearly in the one-percent club of income earners in Canada by more than $25,000 a year -- hardly middle class as you stated earlier in trying to make people feel sorry for you.

http://www2.macleans.ca/2013/01/28/top-one-per-cent-make-10-per-cent-of-national-income-but-less-than-they-did-four-years-ago/

Trying to make people feel sorry for me? Clearly you have reading comprehension problems. I fail to understand what your problem is with my statement that I am part of the middle class. But quite frankly I'm bored with the subject so please don't feel it necessary to respond.

Trying to make people feel sorry for me? Clearly you have reading comprehension problems. I fail to understand what your problem is with my statement that I am part of the middle class. But quite frankly I'm bored with the subject so please don't feel it necessary to respond.

No need to get testy. We can clearly both afford a Seabourn cruise, so let's cut out all the nonsense about being middle class and just get in line for the caviar and champagne!:D

Yes, Michele, your only mistake was mentioning your income. I am sure you regret it, even if done with the best of motives.

You will be glad to hear that money is hardly every mentioned on Seabourn cruises, and those in the top suites and with the largest incomes do not bring it to everyone's attention generally. In over 150 days on Seabourn, only once has someone told us at dinner some facts deliberately designed to make us realise he was loaded (and we had already decided we did not like him!) One of the nicest things about the line is that there are no butlers, special concierge lounges etc.

I agree, it's what we like about Seabourn a truely democratic line.

I agree, it's what we like about Seabourn a truely democratic line.

Reminds me of the carpet-layer from Birmingham who truly hated the idea of dining with the crew and other staff at hosted tables. He didn't think it was right. Reminded me of Onslow (Geoffrey Hughes) in Keeping Up Appearances, when he won the cruise. Some of my favorite episodes.

Glad to get back to the issue of whether Seabourn standards are slipping, and if so, why.

No more need to discuss whether an annual income of $230 K is middle class, as every stat in existence clearly defines it as upper class in the top one percent in the world income regardless of tears and pleas to the contrary. (In Canada, we call these people "limousine liberals". They enjoy all the benefits of wealth and government social programs, but pretend to be middle class so they don't feel guilty.)

It's been two years since my last SB cruise on the Sojourn, and the next one will be on the Pride this September. However, we were very happy with the Sojourn and expect the Pride to be equally good or better.

That's not to say that some people's experiences on some cruises may be different. When a cruse line, no matter what line, consistently offers deep last minute discounts, they will eventually have to lower standards somewhere (if not now, later). It is simply not economically possible for a cruise line to offer a luxury standard of cabin, service, food, alcohol, itinerary, etc. while getting sub-luxury prices for ever. Otherwise, they would have offered those lower prices to begin with. To survive with lower prices, the cruise line must also lower its costs.

Lower prices attract a broader demographic of cruiser, including people with different interests, behaviours and expectations than what the original cruise line brand was created to serve. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but it is different that what the original people attracted to the line have experienced in the past and expect to receive in future. This is not just the case with Seabourn -- just look at a couple of the other luxury line threads to read similar comments.

Ignoring this fact does not make it different. Using semantic arguments like money does not equal class just disguises the real issue. Pleading to be unable to pay for a full priced cruise on Seabourn while earning $230 K year adds no value to the debate. The real issue is whether a cruise line like Seabourn which was created to provide an exceptional cruise experience for the ultra-luxury market can continue to do so if they cannot fill berths at the prices they need to be profitable. And if they cannot fill berths at the prices they need, what are the consequences for we, their cruising public.

I think this is an issue worth debating, especially for those of us who sailed with the old Seabourn prior to Carnival ownership and have experienced luxury cruising at its best.

But please, no cheerleaders, no bashers, and no rich people claiming to be poor.

As far as the British notion of class is concerned ( and this may well extend to our former colonies), it is never a question of income or wealth, but a matter of breeding. Thus an impoverished aristocrat, even if having to exist in such reduced circumstances as a studio flat in Peckham, is still Upper Class. Whereas a former bricklayer who has won the lottery or made millions in the property market is doomed to remain forever Working Class.

Clearly there are plenty of wealthy people on this board who have loads of money but no class whatsoever.

And while few people mention money on SB, there remain those who can charmingly establish their credentials with a few well chosen words. How about this for a opening conversational gambit at a shared table over dinner: "That reminds of the time David Rockefeller called me into his office and asked me to go out to Oman to see if it would be viable for Chase to open a branch out there. He had promised his friend the Sheik, as a personal favour, that he would look at the option. I went out there and had a look around, but came back and advised him that it wouldn't be a viable investment. So he never did."

Pleading to be unable to pay for a full priced cruise on Seabourn

And there you go...demonstrating your reading comprehension skills yet again :eek:.

:confused: Not sure how you dreamed this one up but carry on rambling, if you must. It's giving me a chuckle, ha, ha.

Lower prices attract a broader demographic of cruiser, including people with different interests, behaviours and expectations than what the original cruise line brand was created to serve. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but it is different that what the original people attracted to the line have experienced in the past and expect to receive in future. This is not just the case with Seabourn -- just look at a couple of the other luxury line threads to read similar comments..

Some interesting considerations. In the broad / global scheme of things we (my DH and myself) are 'rich', but in the terms of the demographic of long-term Seabourn afficionadas, we are probably 'just about' middle-class. We are both professionals (DH is a retired hospital consultant and I am a part time general practitioner / family doctor) who have worked for several decades to provide services for our patients. We loved our cruise on Seabourn, are cruising again this October on the Quest, and would very much like to continue doing so. However, we are at the stage where there is a conflict between our awareness that our income (predominantly DH's pension, as I work part-time) is far greater than that of most in retirement and the knowledge that we will never again be 'high-earners'. This board would suggest that we should have some doubts as to our entitlement to travel in luxury on Seabourn, but our experience (limited as it is) of sailing on Seabourn leads us to be entirely confident that we will have an extremely enjoyable cruise with delightful companions on what will be an extremely well-earned break this fall.

Is it just me, but at the moment there seem to be several 'tetchy' threads about 'standards' falling, suggesting that the fall in prices is resulting in the admission of the 'undeserving' to the ranks of SB sailors? It is an unpleasant sensation. We have worked hard, all our lives, and have acquired more than a veneer of appreciation of the nicer things in life. So, we intend to enjoy those nicer things on board the Quest, and although I am sorry if this may offend some fellow passengers, it isn't going to change my determination, and expectation, to enjoy a delightful trip.

And there you go...demonstrating your reading comprehension skills yet again :eek:.

:confused: Not sure how you dreamed this one up but carry on rambling, if you must. It's giving me a chuckle, ha, ha.

One good turn deserves another as you certainly gave me a belly of laughs with your claim that $230 K a year made you middle class. I shall be dining on that joke for quite a while. Many thanks. :)

Archived