Seabourn Sojourn Food and Service

HappyFeet13

Sorry, Oregon50. I didn't think it was about me at all. I don't know why you and a few others want to continue to post snippy comments to virtually anything I have to say. Especially since NONE of you were aboard ship at the time. FYI: I had purchased the "unlimited" internet access program for $400 while aboard ship for 14 days. I don't think that many people do that. That gave me free rein not to worry about how many minutes I was using to check mail, send photos, or post on this board, etc. Most of my posts were made while aboard ship. I've noticed that most other posts are describing things from memory of their trip weeks or perhaps months ago. As an amateur historian, I have learned that "contemporaneous history" is valuable since it does not rely on memory of how it was in the past, it is a description of how things are NOW by someone who is actually there at this time. I was doing my best to describe, real time, what I was experiencing. I really ticked some people off and I really don't understand why. None of them were aboard ship with me at the time. Why were they so hostile to what I was saying? I was "calling it as I see it" and readers are always free to use the information or not. I can understand why so many people are interested in this thread. Food and service are a major part of what cruising is about. I can see why people who had different experiences at dfferent times would want to chime in. That is as it should be. But why attack or denigrate, me for what I said my own experience was?

As a historian, you can see that I never disputed your experience. I do have a problem with your presentation. As you know, PhillipB began a similiar thread as yours. I happened to be on the same cruise as Phillip and will return to Sojourn in a few weeks to check out the progress that has been made thanks to your efforts on cruise critic.

On behalf of all Seabourn passengers, thank you very much.

Thanks. I appreciate that, especially since I made a rude, snippy, and unwarranted comment to you many posts ago. You have every right to think less of me for that. We "agree to disagree" on which has more power, the comments to management aboard ship, the questionnaires that passengers fill out while aboard or when they leave the ship, or public boards like this one. Obviously, they all eventually reach top management and changes get made. I personally believe that this thread has been read for some time by Seabourn management and that it has led to positive changes. The CruiseCritic board is a very powerful and useful asset to both the cruise lines and to potential purchasers of their cruise packages, and cruise lines ignore it to their peril. The CruiseCritic "Roll Call" is also a fabulous asset that I will use on all future cruises. I used it for the first time on my Feb 2 cruise and met 7 really enjoyable couples that we spent a lot of fun time with. Highly recommend.

Thanks. I appreciate that, especially since I made a rude, snippy, and unwarranted comment to you many posts ago. You have every right to think less of me for that. We "agree to disagree" on which has more power, the comments to management aboard ship, the questionnaires that passengers fill out while aboard or when they leave the ship, or public boards like this one. Obviously, they all eventually reach top management and changes get made. I personally believe that this thread has been read for some time by Seabourn management and that it has led to positive changes. The CruiseCritic board is a very powerful and useful asset to both the cruise lines and to potential purchasers of their cruise packages, and cruise lines ignore it to their peril. The CruiseCritic "Roll Call" is also a fabulous asset that I will use on all future cruises. I used it for the first time on my Feb 2 cruise and met 7 really enjoyable couples that we spent a lot of fun time with. Highly recommend.

I am absolutely positive that the PR folks at most cruise lines check these threads from time to time and bring prickly things to the attention of the right people. That's not to say that CC is a substitute for communicating directly with management, but it is an additional tool that can also impact management decisions.

If you were thinking about booking a cruise, what would you do? I went to google and input Seabourn Sojourn. The first think up is Seabourn's own web site. The next thing up is CruiseCritic with evaluations written by people who have sailed on the ship. (I was not viewing THIS board, but the main CruiseCritic board re Sojourn). The last three posters have been aboard Sojourn recently. Two gave the ship 3 stars and one 5 stars. All were somewhat or very negative on food and service. For those looking more deeply, they would find the thread on this board, "Nice ship...too bad about the food", and the thread you are reading now, "Seabourn Sojourn food and service". It is impossible to know how many people view the main CruiseCritic board, but about 200 people have viewed this thread, alone, in the past 2 1/2 hours. That's "social networking" and the most powerful force in marketing today. Cruise lines can't buy the advertising effect (positive or negative) that this new media provides. We owe it to them, and to would-be future passengers, to give kudos where deserved, and not just criticize their shortcomings. And those who are aboard Sojourn now or board it in the future, please let us know what you think. I hope to hear such good things that I can't wait to sail with Seabourn, and Sojourn, again.

However many times this is debated people will not change their views because they are expressing what they have experienced. Can this now be left as it is becoming increasingly vitriolic, as are many of the discussions on this board. Please let's have happier posts and write in the manner that you would speak if people were sitting next to you. Criticisms have to be made if they are justified, but fruitless arguments make unpleasant reading. Please?

I have cruised on the little sisters seven times and on the Soujourn twice (August 2011 and October 2012). I don't remember getting any COLD entrees or hearing any shouting/arguing from the servers. What I do remember from both trips is that the dinner service was SLOW. One night my sister complained that she developed a hangover from consuming so much white wine while we waited between courses. I had the other problem--I was drinking red and the gentleman across the (hosted) table and I waited an hour for a refill! Dinner at hosted tables always takes longer than dining at small tables, but on both Soujourn cruises it was ridiculously long. I hope Seabourn addresses this problem on all the larger sisters. I thought the service was up to usual Seabourn standards in every other area (and in every other restaurant).

However many times this is debated people will not change their views because they are expressing what they have experienced. Can this now be left as it is becoming increasingly vitriolic, as are many of the discussions on this board. Please let's have happier posts and write in the manner that you would speak if people were sitting next to you. Criticisms have to be made if they are justified, but fruitless arguments make unpleasant reading. Please?

I don't agree with you, margbem. This thread, while it has taken the occasional diversion, has been very useful in describing various experiences aboard the Sojourn specifically and Seabourn in general. While my experience on the Sojourn two years ago was delightful, I never once questioned the validity of those folks, inlcuding Happyfeet 13, who had a different experience. It just told me that the Sojourn was not consistently delivering a great product and that I should be careful about cruising that ship again until I hear more consistently strong reviews on this site. So to all of you who took the time to express your views, please ignore margbem and keep telling it like it is. There are many of us out there who appreciate your efforts.

I don't agree with you, margbem. This thread, while it has taken the occasional diversion, has been very useful in describing various experiences aboard the Sojourn specifically and Seabourn in general. While my experience on the Sojourn two years ago was delightful, I never once questioned the validity of those folks, inlcuding Happyfeet 13, who had a different experience. It just told me that the Sojourn was not consistently delivering a great product and that I should be careful about cruising that ship again until I hear more consistently strong reviews on this site. So to all of you who took the time to express your views, please ignore margbem and keep telling it like it is. There are many of us out there who appreciate your efforts.

Point taken, commodoredave. Maybe I didn't express myself clearly. I have no problem with anyone recounting their experiences. I love Seabourn but accept that nothing is ever perfect and really enjoy reading what people take the time to post. What I don't like is the nasty tone in which some people write. They would not (hopefully) be like this if they were having a face to face discussion. Anonymous posting, emailing etc gives us carte blanche to be rude and maybe not think before typing.

Well I for one have followed this thread as I am a few weeks away from April cruise on Sojourn. I sailed Spirit a decade ago and Regent a few times in the interim. I have been really looking forward to the return and was becoming quite concerned at the persistent disquiet with the various issues in food, wine and service.

It is pleasing to hear that management seems to be on top of the problems recently but I think kudos to the sometimes brave posters on this board, who have stuck to their opinions through sometimes rather vitriolic criticism. I agree that the tone sometimes gets a bit aggressive but it makes for a lively debate, that is for sure and I have have enjoyed it. After all opinions are subjective and it is good to weigh up one against the other.

Thanks to all.

Point taken, commodoredave. Maybe I didn't express myself clearly. I have no problem with anyone recounting their experiences. I love Seabourn but accept that nothing is ever perfect and really enjoy reading what people take the time to post. What I don't like is the nasty tone in which some people write. They would not (hopefully) be like this if they were having a face to face discussion. Anonymous posting, emailing etc gives us carte blanche to be rude and maybe not think before typing.

Understand what you are saying. I use my real photo and post my entire cruise history on this site to remind me that I have to own what I say. If only it were so for everyone.

But you're in disguise, with hat and sunglasses! That's what the Hollywood stars do. You aren't one of THEM are you? Just kidding.

OK, you got me. I am really Brad Pitt. I've done as much as I can to disguise myself to look old, worn out and tired, but it's clearly not working. :D

As a historian, you can see that I never disputed your experience. I do have a problem with your presentation. As you know, PhillipB began a similiar thread as yours. I happened to be on the same cruise as Phillip and will return to Sojourn in a few weeks to check out the progress that has been made thanks to your efforts on cruise critic.

On behalf of all Seabourn passengers, thank you very much.

Very interested to hear you are going back oregon50. Please report back fully when you return. I am sure you will. You have a benchmark (the November 'fiasco' cruise!) to measure against!

When I read a dozen favorable SS reviews by objective writers, I'll consider paying for another SS cruise.

Curious if you drink orange juice, eat ice cream, shrinp? Did you notice what you were being served for water? We were on four SS ships during first quarter of 2012 and the four items mentioned were quite consistent.

If you observed, I would like to hear your thoughts on the four items.

When I read a dozen favorable SS reviews by objective writers, I'll consider paying for another SS cruise.

Curious if you drink orange juice, eat ice cream, shrinp? Did you notice what you were being served for water? We were on four SS ships during first quarter of 2012 and the four items mentioned were quite consistent.

And how do you know that a writer is "objective".

I can give you a subject from my 2k9 ;) (sorry I only obtained a traveling bear on my Seabourn cruise).

The OJ didn't taste freshly squeezed, the ice cream wasn't full butter fat and the water was unremarkable other than I think they (like Regent) were re-using bottles and filling them with tap. Other than that the foie gras was the nastiest most vein ridden garbage I've ever had and they couldn't cook rice correctly to save their lives (eg: neither risoto nor pilaf should go SNAP CRACKLE POP then have the Rice Krispies elves jump out at you). The one thing they did well was marrow. YUM.:D

We were on the Soujourn in February and I must disagree with the assessments listed here. We experienced exceptionally cordial staff throughout the trip. Waiters and others checked frequently to determine if we were satisfied with our meals and if we needed anything else. Wine service was certainly adequate and the quality of wine was good. Each evening there was also the choice to purchase a more expensive wine from a selection of two. The food portions were fine and you could certainly order more or additional portions. We chose to eat in the Collonade most evenings because it has a more relaxed atmosphere.

The ship was spotless. Our cabin stewardess, Bianca was delightful and asked daily if there was anything that we desired.

I had read some criticisms prior to our trip and was concerned before boarding. We were pleasantly surprised. Relax and enjoy your trip.

Just curious....you said you ate in the Colonnade most evenings because it was more relaxed. We never did, except a couple of breakfasts and lunches, (when it was always very crowded), so I can't comment on dinner there. Isn't the Colonnade a buffet at dinner, too? If so, you control your own portion sizes.

Just curious....you said you ate in the Colonnade most evenings because it was more relaxed. We never did, except a couple of breakfasts and lunches, (when it was always very crowded), so I can't comment on dinner there. Isn't the Colonnade a buffet at dinner, too? If so, you control your own portion sizes.

Whenever we have been on (all three) of the large ships the Colonnade has always been waiter served for all courses in the evenings. I understand that there are occasional (apparently very good) buffet evenings, but this is not general. Certainly if the ship is full the Colonnade can be crowded at breakfast and lunch (though only usually if the weather precludes eating outside).

It is a bit hard to reconcile these very different opinions of Sojourn food. I can only assume that it depends completely on the cooking and serving staff on board at the time. Or that some people are determined to either love or hate Sojourn/Seabourn?!;)

And in addition to what Lincslady accurately noted there is also waiter service at breakfast. People assume that because the buffet is there they must eat off of the buffet. Not true! It is only and option in case you are in a hurry or want to select your own food.

Yes, thanks Chairsin. I should have mentioned that. If you want to you can order the whole meal, but also enjoy the special dishes like eggs benedict, French toast, lovely pancakes etc. Usually a waiter will come and ask you if you want to order from him/her, but if not just ask.

Archived