Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

The average person does tend to make the best of a bad situation while they are in it. No use sitting there for 2- 4 days pouting about something you can do nothing about. Besides-one person's idea of making the best of it sounds like a 24 hour long bi&*h session to another. ;)

I'd be writing the book about the whole thing and taking as many hi-res photos as possible so I could cash in as soon as we hit shore.

CNN is getting good live interviews and pictures. I just wish they would stop sensationalizing this and having people on the ship talk to love ones on land over the air. The cell phones are working and they are able to have private conversations. Ugh, I feel so bad for the people on that boat. We have a cruise booked next year with Carnival. This isn't changing our mind about going but I do have small children so I will definitely consider better preparations for them in an emergency.

People keep talking about Mobile vs Progreso....

But werent ports like Gavelston and New Orleans closer?

I understand not docking in Mexico...passport and transportation issues. But why not the closest port in Texas?

Getting into Galveston is tricky for a ship with power, and I can't imagine any circumstances that would convince authorities to allow a powerless ship on the river to New Orleans.

If Carnival thinks the only (cash) compensation they will have to pay out is $500 per person they are in for quite a shock. The lawsuits will be massive. They will be lucky (very lucky) if they only have to pay out $10,000 per passenger, especially after this latest snafu where the passengers look like they will have to spend yet another night on that hot smelly ship overflowing with raw sewage.

The lawsuits won't be massive. Maritime law is not the same and whole having experienced something horrendous, there isn't long term damage for most people.

Ch3 in Pensacola had a Maritime Atty on this morning with the whole Carnival 12 page contract you sign. He said that its been proven in court, more than once, that bascially the only way they are libel for anything would be personal injury due to their negligence. Duress and mental anguish have never held up in court. Actually they dont even have to, by law, or contract, refund your trip money.

I think the same has already been mentioned on here.

I was more amazed at the 12 page contract. I have never seen it, but guess its available.

Again I'm not a lawyer......

billd

Exactly. You have to just love all the speculation here that Carnival is going to be sued until they have to go out of business over this :rolleyes:

That contract, that 99% of cruisers always agree to but NEVER read, releases them from just about all liability.

But you can guarantee the vulture, ambulance chasing attys will be lined up at the port foaming at the mouth anyway.

I'd be writing the book about the whole thing and taking as many hi-res photos as possible so I could cash in as soon as we hit shore.

Yes, and simultaneously organizing those photos to get them to my lawyers ASAP and as many media outlets as I possibly could.

Ch3 in Pensacola had a Maritime Atty on this morning with the whole Carnival 12 page contract you sign. He said that its been proven in court, more than once, that bascially the only way they are libel for anything would be personal injury due to their negligence. Duress and mental anguish have never held up in court. Actually they dont even have to, by law, or contract, refund your trip money.

I think the same has already been mentioned on here.

I was more amazed at the 12 page contract. I have never seen it, but guess its available.

Again I'm not a lawyer......

billd

Believe it or not, I have actually read that whole thing. I have a habit of reading everything I am getting in to. This is usually that Cruise Ticket Contract link that no one ever clicks on. It is incredibly detailed in what it lays out. Someone could try to make a case from this but there is going to have to be some kind of definable injury and then also prove willful neglect. Might be possible. But, those contracts really do tie a passengers hand. Pretty similar contracts among all of the lines.

Only the smaller ships can sail under the Skyway Bridge which crosses the bay between St. Petersburg and Bradenton and they have to wait until low tide to do so. I've sailed on the Carnival Legend & Miracle out of Tampa, and its pretty cool

Carnival had to redesign the smokestacks (cutdown approx 10 feet) to allow the ships under the Skyway Bridge.

Can't watch CNN live at work as the Verizon link isn't working; hopefully they'll post the pics on their site.

I got flamed for saying it'd be difficult if not impossible to sue the cruise line over this because of their contract (which no one bothers to read, but I did) so I'm leaving that one alone!

Exactly. You have to just love all the speculation here that Carnival is going to be sued until they have to go out of business over this :rolleyes:

That contract, that 99% of cruisers always agree to but NEVER read, releases them from just about all liability.

But you can guarantee the vulture, ambulance chasing attys will be lined up at the port foaming at the mouth anyway.

Actually, signing something means nothing if negligence is alledged.

Read the book on the old Princendam burning in the Gulf of Alaska. They had to abandon ship.... That was some years ago, but the account is really scary.

Susan

I will read it but not til after my first cruise in April. Thanks everyone for the input also.

"Aren't some of the Princess Grand class ships also built off the same platform by Fincantieri? The ship yard connection is something I've really been wondering about this week"

Cannot recall any fires on any of the Grand class of Princess ships to date.

Questions have been raised about the shipyard on the Costa thread in regard to the Concordia and no inbuilt redundancy there, with regard to power outages in the weeks prior to the accident!

Actually, the Grand class are also from Fincantieri's own blueprints (like the Destiny platform ships are) and they too have had questionable problems...

Grand, Crown & Emerald Princesses all have had uncommanded turn events leading to severe listing.

Carnival Corporation shifted blame & focus to the human at the helm...when infact, the autopilot software/equipment was cited as being faulty.

Can't watch CNN live at work as the Verizon link isn't working; hopefully they'll post the pics on their site.

I got flamed for saying it'd be difficult if not impossible to sue the cruise line over this because of their contract (which no one bothers to read, but I did) so I'm leaving that one alone! ;)

On the live feed the ship appears to be moving again with the tug. Maybe just another illusion, like how pronounced the listing to starboard looks...

Man this thread is slow/bogged down; must have LOTS of lookers!

Clark Howard explaining the contracts. Also explained that Carnival is getting a commercial that they don't want. The maritime attorney's will push legal action and they won't win but one thing that it will do is bring more attention to this situation. Another passenger stating that until the Coast Guard boarded the ship was a mess and just blasted Carnival for taking the ship out with known problems. You go girl!!!

Archived